Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

h0pefulll

Novice Member
Jan 2, 2021
Pronouns
He/Him
MinerWare (mostly) revolves around quick microgames, and players need to react quickly to any situation that appears their way. So, what information players are given before a microgame and immediately when the game begins is crucial to their ability to understand what on earth is going on.
These two microgames are ones that I've seen many newer players fail due to confusing descriptions and/or counter-intuitive block choices.

Thimble
The objective of this microgame is to land in the hole signified by the beacons, and not in the water.

thimble.png

However, Thimble somewhat resembles the classic game of Dropper. This, and also players wanting to react immediately, may jump for the water without fully processing what the task at hand was.

To make the goal more clear, the water in the microgame should be changed to lava (an obvious block for players to avoid), and the portal blocks in the hole should be changed to water (an intuitive block for the player to land in). With these changes, the text given as the goal of the microgame should be changed from "Land in the hole and avoid any obstacles!" to a simple and clear "Land in the water!".

Keep Moving
The objective of this microgame is to "keep moving" and stay on the platform, whilst you have a very high swiftness effect.
To avoid flying off the platform, an intuitive idea would be to sneak and move.
However, a hidden rule is that you are not allowed to sneak, because "Sneaking is not running!"
keepmoving.png

This is the text given if you sneak.

Additionally, if you win, the microgame ends with the text "You won by running and not falling", even if you didn't run.

The obvious issue here is that the microgame flops between saying whether you need to move or run, but currently, neither is completely true. I think that the microgame's name should be changed to "Keep Running", with the new rule that you must run (walking or sneaking is considered a fail). To compensate, the swiftness effect should be toned down a bit.

Overall, these are fairly miniscule changes, but not even considering the experience of newer players will throttle the server's growth. I hope that these improvements would make MinerWare just a bit more accessible, and less janky.

Last edited:

vasui

Novice Member
May 25, 2020
Sweden
I don't think any of these minigames should be changed as they make up such a small part of minerware. Therefore I don't see how they would affect the servers growth in any way.

I will however partly agree with you on the last one as it's way to easy to beat the minigame considering you can stand still and move your head, or jump.

Thimble requires you to think and not just jump immediately and I kind of like that.

h0pefulll

Novice Member
Jan 2, 2021
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't think any of these minigames should be changed as they make up such a small part of minerware. Therefore I don't see how they would affect the servers growth in any way.
Yeah, I am very much aware that these are two measly microgames, and their problems will probably be disregarded by the vast majority of players. But, I still would like for more of the little things to be considered when updating existing games and creating new games. It may be a miniscule problem, but it's a problem nonetheless and I don't want some newer players to be alienated by these bizarre design decisions.
Sure, these changes will have barely any effects on the server's growth, but I want MinerWare to be the best it can, because it's a great gamemode, but with many little blemishes aquired over the years.

Thimble requires you to think and not just jump immediately and I kind of like that.
I didn't change the gameplay of Thimble at all, just made it more understandable. Water looks safe to jump in, no? With the changes I described, you'll still need to quickly find the hole indicated by purple beacon beams. The only difference is that the water is now lava and the portal blocks are now water (these are mere aesthetic changes).

TL;DR: these are small changes, but that's kind of the point.

Reactions: vasui

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
Maastricht, the Netherlands
youtu.be
updates arent just about growth. its about keeping the current players happy. qol update also wont make cube bigger, but it's player retention.
imagine being new, and being confused by one of those gamemodes. dont think thats something we wnat, is it?

Reactions: vasui and h0pefulll

vasui

Novice Member
May 25, 2020
Sweden
Yeah, I am very much aware that these are two measly microgames, and their problems will probably be disregarded by the vast majority of players. But, I still would like for more of the little things to be considered when updating existing games and creating new games. It may be a miniscule problem, but it's a problem nonetheless and I don't want some newer players to be alienated by these bizarre design decisions.
Sure, these changes will have barely any effects on the server's growth, but I want MinerWare to be the best it can, because it's a great gamemode with many unfortunate blemishes.

I didn't change the gameplay of Thimble at all, just made it more understandable. Water looks safe to jump in, no? With the changes I described, you'll still need to quickly find the hole indicated by purple beacon beams. The only difference is that the water is now lava and the portal blocks are now water (these are mere aesthetic changes).

TL;DR: these are small changes, but that's kind of the point.
Yeah I get you. I'll change my vote but I really don't think the minigames have that many problems so we should change them. It was fun tho seeing a different point of view as I've never really thought of these two minigames and their negative effects on the server :)

Reactions: h0pefulll

vasui

Novice Member
May 25, 2020
Sweden
updates arent just about growth. its about keeping the current players happy. qol update also wont make cube bigger, but it's player retention.
imagine being new, and being confused by one of those gamemodes. dont think thats something we wnat, is it?
Yup, I agree. We don't want people leaving, I just didn't think of how these problems would cause a negative effect on the server and make people confused.

Reactions: h0pefulll and Keanu

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
I agree with the Thimble microgame being confusing, and your changes to it would be great.

The Keep Moving game however... While I do agree it's confusing right now, I don't think changing it so that walking isn't allowed would be much better, in fact I think it would be worse. Personally I would change the text to Keep Running, but I don't think you should fail if you don't sprint. Sneaking obviously should get you to fail, along with only jumping or moving your head if that's at all possible. However I feel like failing because you didn't sprint is a bit harsh.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Thjis wrote on CubeCraft's profile.
Happy Bday Cube Bedrock!
ToonBer wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Gefeliciteerd eitje!
Eli wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday!!!
JokeKaedee wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!! :egg:
Top Bottom