Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Hi,
Over the past few weeks, the trend of making threads criticising the Mojang partnership has remained prevalent on the forums, and shows little sign of declining. Since concerns over the aforementioned partnership are still growing, I'd like to make a thread covering the good, the bad and the ugly that it will entail. I'm not creating this thread to try to sway public opinion on the matter, I'm simply trying to make people more aware of what the server's partnership with Mojang will likely entail, so that you may make a two-sided judgement on whether or not it's what is best for this server.

What is the partnership, and how did this start?
On June 12th 2017, Johncoles, the CEO of Cubecraft, posted an official news thread titled '"Better Together" Update'. Said thread details how the official partnership may benefit Cubecraft and its community in the future.

This is such a big deal not just for CubeCrafters but Minecraft players as a community! You're going to be able to play your favourite CubeCraft games and maps on any platform you choose! From Xbox and Windows 10 to iOS and Android Devices, Nintendo Switch, or even the Amazon Fire TV. What's awesome about this is that the purchases made on these platforms will carry accross with your Xbox Live account so no matter where you want to play your CubeCraft purchases will be there with you.

This sounds pretty neat, so why are people so upset with the partnership? The source of the problems arose on November 3rd 2017, when Rubik_Cube_Man posted the 'Chat Overhaul!' thread to the News section of the forums. One section of this thread ruffled a lot of people's feathers, including my own:

Chat filter
Many of you will be glad to know that the chat filter has been added to more chats. Every message that you send now will be sent through our chat filter, keeping our chat much cleaner and more positive.
Thanks to @andyschofie for keeping on top of all our blocked words and phrases over the past few months!

Following a short-lived backlash to this change, the forums was flooded with suggestions on how the chat system could function better, to allow mature audiences to swear in private chats. The response we were given was that Mojang wouldn't allow Cubecraft to do so, that the server must be as child-friendly as possible for the partnership to continue. I believe this is why:
upload_2017-11-29_10-53-36.png

Minecraft currently holds a PEGI 7 rating, unsurprising considering Minecraft's child-friendly reputation. For further reference, here's a list of each PEGI rating and what they mean:
http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/

Retailers aren't allowed to sell products to anybody who falls below said product's rating. I really doubt its PEGI rating would increase if swearing is legalised on the server, but it would certainly intervene with Minecraft's child-friendly reputation, something Mojang are quite proud of. This explains why they do not wish to associate with anybody who is exposing their customers to harmful content. It looks bad on the game, but it looks terrible on the company.

Edit: Chat update was not motivated by the partnership after all.

Partnership positives
Johncoles sums up the partnership's positives relatively well in his thread, so I'll keep this section concise.
You can access Cubecraft on any platform other than Playstation (Microsoft, you vandals!). If you own an Xbox, Nintendo Switch or mobile device, you'll be able to play Cubecraft assuming you have a copy of the game for your respective console.

This will benefit two areas of Cubecraft that are required for the server to keep going: income and players. I'm not going to sugarcoat anything here, Cubecraft is living in the past and its content is far too ambitious. Few games get as much love as Skywars and Eggwars, with games such as UHC, Line Dash, Barn Brawl and non-OP FFA variants being liabilities at this point. This server was made with a 30,000 player-base in mind when it can barely sustain 10,000. If we want to keep the less popular games that we've grown to love over the years, we need this partnership. Hypixel essentially holds a monopoly on Minecraft servers; so long as it exists, Cubecraft will continue to lose players, unless it finds players elsewhere.

The increased player-counts that will come from the giants that are Minecraft's console and mobile editions, will no doubt result in an increased server income. This money can then be put back into the server, in hiring new builders and developers to create new content for the playerbase. Essentially, the partnership will probably result in us getting new games. Skyblock and Parkour aren't yet on the server, perhaps the developers who eventually make them will be paid from the donations of console players.

Mojang are apparently paying Cubecraft for this partnership. This is just another source of income that can be put back into the server.

Partnership negatives
The most vocal negative, to me, is hardly the most problematic. Because Cubecraft must comply with Mojang's strict rules, the rules that the players have to abide by may also become stricter. We've seen this happen already, with swearing in private chats officially becoming disallowed and punishable via mute. To mature audiences, this is a major turn-off, for they can no longer be themselves when in the presence of their friends. Cubecraft is far more restrictive under the partnership, meaning that it's still missing a demographic that makes up a significant portion of the Minecraft community.

With console controllers being far less responsive and fluid than the traditional mouse and keyboard, console players are going to be beaten to the ground so hard they'll be dining with Hades and Persephone. No really, they're going to be absolutely slaughtered, which will be a major turn-off for competitive players, who are already feeling deprived of challenge on the server. This may inspire a tier-based system in the future, perhaps one that puts all the server's existing games into a rotation and assigns opponents based on Win/Loss. However, I doubt the playerbase could sustain such a game for long enough to justify its addition.

Lastly, we may see easier or lackluster content added in the future that has console players' skill levels in mind. If you've ever played Minecraft on console before, you can probably recall how stiff the controls feel. You have far less control than on PC, and the learning curve for the game on consoles is not as steep. Again, this could justify the addition of a much-requested competitive ladder, but with the current player-count, I doubt it'd be worth it.

To conclude:

Positives
-More money means more games (CCG is being beaten to the dust by Hypixel in terms of quantity)
-More players means games become more active (If we want to keep the likes of Arcade, UHC, FFA, etc., we need the partnership)
-More money means a larger staff team (Even Helpers and Mods aren't free by the way, management have to pay for each individual account's security to prevent hijacks. They're probably spending more on Mods a month than I spend on Runescape membership a year)
-Benefits a minority of people who have peasant friends (My friend for instance has a Switch, but her laptop isn't good enough to run Minecraft)

Negatives
-Chat restrictions will only get worse (Mature audiences have limited freedom, and general chat remains a chore)
-Broadens the skill gap drastically, makes the server less competitive and devalues wins (Turns off competitive players, makes certain activities boring)
-May result in easier or lackluster content in the future (Aimed at console or mobile players, who have less fluid movement)

Edit: The chat update may not have been motivated by the partnership. I've heard two conflicting sides to this, so not sure what to believe now :/
Also edit: Chat update was not motivated by the partnership.

If you still believe that the partnership is nothing but bad news and should be ended, that's fine. This thread's intent isn't to sway your opinion, but to make everybody aware of what it will fully entail. There's plenty of threads bashing the partnership, but none that discuss the positives to it, hence why I made this. Discuss your thoughts on the partnership in the comments c:

Last edited:

johncoles

Forum Expert
Jan 6, 2014
Manchester, UK
johncoles.com
Our Partnership with Microsoft/Mojang had no impact on the Chat Update. That was a decision we made internally as we thought that it would help to keep players on the server safer.

As for console players being at a dis-advantage this is partially true however we do know what control scheme that players have so this is something we could look at balancing. I also know a fair few console players that could beat mouse/keyboard players! You can also use Mouse and Keyboard on console... Making sure we have a good solid start on the new platforms is why we have taken so long in QA. We want to make sure that we're addressing any concerns we have along with those of the community. Even if we don't have solutions from the get go we want to at least have ideas and lists of possible issues that may occur.

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
University of Eastern Colorado
Our Partnership with Microsoft/Mojang had no impact on the Chat Update. That was a decision we made internally as we thought that it would help to keep players on the server safer.

As for console players being at a dis-advantage this is partially true however we do know what control scheme that players have so this is something we could look at balancing. I also know a fair few console players that could beat mouse/keyboard players! You can also use Mouse and Keyboard on console... Making sure we have a good solid start on the new platforms is why we have taken so long in QA. We want to make sure that we're addressing any concerns we have along with those of the community. Even if we don't have solutions from the get go we want to at least have ideas and lists of possible issues that may occur.
I thought I heard staff members say that they can't revert the chat update because of Microsoft rules?

Reactions: MagnificentSpam
D

Deleted member 169486

This was probably the only thing I had against the partnership, just since that's not the case then I don't really care.

View attachment 140201
Yeah, I'm totally confuzzled now as well.
Might be a far fetched idea, but it seems that he was not longer a developer around the same time that it became apparent that the partnership isn't the cause of the chat filter... *queue Illuminati music*

---

Personally, I believe the Better Together edition will not work, like you said, players using console or PE will be screwed compared to people using windows 10 edition.

Members Online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Matriox wrote on xEefster's profile.
Happy birthday eef
Basketman wrote on Eli's profile.
Happy Birthday Forums Guru (ELI) Enjoy your day and I hope these small messages here make your day! 🥳
JokeKaedee wrote on Eli's profile.
Happy birthday, Eli! I hope that today will be filled with joy and happiness only!!
Enjoy your day 🐉 :heart:
Reesle wrote on RatedManMp46's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🥳
Matriox wrote on Eli's profile.
HI

ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY

happy birthday Eli

1714947914949.png

1714948030659.png

here, take some beans:
1714948068073.png
Top Bottom