Should this be implemented?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukaido

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
Hello everyone!

I suggest that threads get auto locked to prevent "necro posting".
The thread should get locked after 3 weeks of inactivity (3.4 - No Necro-posting. This is replying to threads which haven't been posted on within 3 weeks. They are not allowed to be revived. Does not apply to news posts, games, map submissions or introduction threads) Unless a staff member locks it earlier. Since if 1 person necro posts the thread gets pushed to "New posts" and no one wants to get their account limited for a mistake. Most people don't look at thread dates, if a thread appears in "New posts" I would assume it's a new post.
This shouldn't be to hard to implement and will prevent necro posting completely.

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
💌 Customer Support
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
I find this something useful, since it will prevent a rule being broken I don't see immediate negative points. It should be implemented with an extra future:
  • Staff members can disable the auto lock on threads
For the rest, simple but amazing add on for the forums!

LeCastel

Dedicated Member
Aug 23, 2016
The Shattered Plains
Yeah, suggested this a long time ago too. I find the whole necro posting thing so dumb. If a comment in a 3 week+ old thread is such a big deal it should be automatically closed.

Also stops the dumb "Don't necropost. @staff please can we get a lock!" knee-jerk reaction that get posted by 5 different people.

Entrustious6679

Mar 28, 2020
Playing CubeCraft Skywars
Hello everyone!

I suggest that threads get auto locked to prevent "necro posting".
The thread should get locked after 3 weeks of inactivity (3.4 - No Necro-posting. This is replying to threads which haven't been posted on within 3 weeks. They are not allowed to be revived. Does not apply to news posts, games, map submissions or introduction threads) Unless a staff member locks it earlier. Since if 1 person necro posts the thread gets pushed to "New posts" and no one wants to get their account limited for a mistake. Most people don't look at thread dates, if a thread appears in "New posts" I would assume it's a new post.
This shouldn't be to hard to implement and will prevent necro posting completely.

Hello,

I agree with this idea. However, it does have a few flaws. It’s good as It will get a lot off the staff teams shoulders, make staff help more ‘clean’ and prevent mistakes and message farming. If something useful has been added to the conversation 2 weeks and 6 days later, will the thread just get locked? That will require moderation that is quite extreme. Also, will it be set to lock three weeks from the initial post or from the latest message?

What would happen to suggestions that are entitled to multiple bumps/further discussion? That won’t follow the auto lock, right?

Attachments

• 19AA0483-A2B6-4831-97DE-65DB682F7731.jpeg
    19AA0483-A2B6-4831-97DE-65DB682F7731.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Reactions: Craeonkie

Anneum

Dedicated Member
Jan 4, 2020
The Avatar Universe
Pronouns
She/Her
@Anneum Could you please state why you voted no? So I could update/add stuff to my suggestion.
I didn't know that the rules were changed. Before you were allowed to revive threads if you had a good reason for it so then it wouldn't be a good idea to auto lock threads but that rule has been changed. I'll vote yes now!

Reactions: Craeonkie

The_TecnoKing

Novice Member
Nov 15, 2019
Italy
For me, it's a yes. But I found an issue that has not been really specified here: a user can delay the autolock feature by posting after two weeks of inactivity.
It causes the post to go into the "New posts" section, true.

So, rather by looking only at the weeks of inactivity, it would also look the "messages per x time" ratio. If it's too low, it'll autolock it, even if a user posted something in the near end of the inactivity timer. But, if its own post then gets many replies (for example added something new to the topic that has never been shown before and people want to give their opinion), the autolock system will postpone the lock.

Obviously, the staff will also be able to enable/disable this prevention for every thread.

P.S. those examples were made just to give an idea, then the time settings can be obviously adjusted.

Jukaido

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
I find this something useful, since it will prevent a rule being broken I don't see immediate negative points. It should be implemented with an extra future:
  • Staff members can disable the auto lock on threads
For the rest, simple but amazing add on for the forums!
@Riley

Reactions: mymth

Kazwa

Sr. Moderator ♡
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Feb 23, 2020
Sweden ♡
Pronouns
He/Him
I think this could work but as Riley mentioned is some threads still relevant and can be revived. I think this addition would be great with the addition Fesa wrote.

Jukaido

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
Then staff members would have to go through all threads and for each thread individually decide to disable the system or keep it enabled? Sounds like a lot of unneeded work
If you look at it with that mindset anything can be negative. "Staff members have to go through reports, how dare you, let sentinel do all the work."

Last edited:
Reactions: mymth

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
I've just been informed that necroposting is no longer allowed, even when the thread is still relevant. This is a very recent change to the rules so that's why I was unaware. This made me reconsider my opinion and I now totally agree! This should work like it does on Reddit

QHY38BQ.png

Changed my vote! :)

Fisktratt

Forum Expert
Sep 15, 2018
Sweden
I like this idea and it has quite some support from the community! Escalated!

If something useful has been added to the conversation 2 weeks and 6 days later, will the thread just get locked? That will require moderation that is quite extreme. Also, will it be set to lock three weeks from the initial post or from the latest message?
If I understood it correctly, it will only lock after three weeks of inactivity. That means 3 weeks without anyone posting on it.

For me, it's a yes. But I found an issue that has not been really specified here: a user can delay the auto-lock feature by posting after two weeks of inactivity.
It causes the post to go into the "New posts" section, true.
I don't really see this as an issue. If you bump your thread too many times, it will fall under this rule:
3.9 - No pointless threads/posts. This includes posts unrelated to the topic, excessive bumping, derailing threads, etc.

I think that the auto-lock feature should be automatically enabled on all subforums where necro posting isn't allowed. Though staff should be able to manually add/remove the auto-lock for certain threads if it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Playing SkyBlock with my boyfriend almost feels like therapy. Just chilling around and finishing quests :))))
Basketman wrote on Xi1m's profile.
Thanks for the follow Pro Rocket player.
JokeKaedee wrote on tanjaroea677's profile.
Happy birthday <3
With the Java map rotations happening soon, there is a possibility of new maps coming to Bedrock shortly after!
2v2 bedwars sucked so bad it made me a skywars main again
Top Bottom