Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickmaster

Dedicated Member
May 23, 2014
Potato Heaven
How about you don't post anything until you finish reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_access#Speed (Linked to the Speed section, but reading the entire article wont hurt you)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber-optic_communication

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

This is because, you have very vague knowledge on what you are saying.

When I read these threads for me its like reading people comparing a car to a toaster and trying to find out which one would go faster then a potato.
I just read the articles (procrastinating) and now I have (hopefully) a few well-informed questions.
1. Who is your ISP? I've heard that Comcast is relatively good, depending on the plan you chose. Right now we have Time Warner Cable, and I am not so sure they are as reliable as we thought they were.
2. I know what a Gigabit is, but I am wondering what broadband do you use? Do you use fiber-optic cables, copper wired electricity, ethernet, wi-fi...?
3. What would be the simplest, cheapest and easiest thing to change that has the most effective change? Router brand, bandwidth capacity, ISP, etc.?

Hopefully these questions don't sound as stupid to you :D

Trickmaster

Dedicated Member
May 23, 2014
Potato Heaven
I just read a little more and your ISP is named "Server Block" I googled it and I couldn't come up with any results. If you could post some links for me to read on to save time, go ahead. :) But I still do not understand your ISP, sorry.

Marta

🦊 🐾 🏳️‍🌈
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
Oct 19, 2013
Manchester, UK.
marcoslater.com
I just read the articles (procrastinating) and now I have (hopefully) a few well-informed questions.
1. Who is your ISP? I've heard that Comcast is relatively good, depending on the plan you chose. Right now we have Time Warner Cable, and I am not so sure they are as reliable as we thought they were.
2. I know what a Gigabit is, but I am wondering what broadband do you use? Do you use fiber-optic cables, copper wired electricity, ethernet, wi-fi...?
3. What would be the simplest, cheapest and easiest thing to change that has the most effective change? Router brand, bandwidth capacity, ISP, etc.?

Hopefully these questions don't sound as stupid to you :D

Well, the speedtest was from one of my servers in Germany, which I kind of use for everything anyways.

Its not a residential ISP, let alone available in the US, so don't worry about it, most of the connections from that server go directly to DE-CIX, which is cool, since its one of the main internet exchanges in Germany. Connection method is ethernet, for about 1-2 meters, then fiber from there on. :P (Servers!)

For #3, depends what you want to change.

Magma Plays

Jun 1, 2014
Yes that is Ethernet. Use it if you have bad WiFi. I used it and it worked like a charm! Until it snapped... xD

Trickmaster

Dedicated Member
May 23, 2014
Potato Heaven
Well, the speedtest was from one of my servers in Germany, which I kind of use for everything anyways.

Its not a residential ISP, let alone available in the US, so don't worry about it, most of the connections from that server go directly to DE-CIX, which is cool, since its one of the main internet exchanges in Germany. Connection method is ethernet, for about 1-2 meters, then fiber from there on. :p (Servers!)

For #3, depends what you want to change.
Oh okay, so it is not a residential ISP. Since at first I thought your ISP was residential which would have amazed me :0
But for residential wi-fi, would you recommend switching ISPs, (from TWC to Comcast, etc.) or simply connecting using ethernet? I might try to use an Ethernet converter considering that the distance is too much for a standard Ethernet. I believe that a remake using fiber optic cables cost $800+, which is debatable considering we live residentially in a small suburb.

For #3, I could change our ISP from TWC to Comcast, use an Ethernet connection/converted Ethernet instead of wi-fi, buy a new router (which hasn't worked so far), or buy signal repeaters. The main thing I'm looking for here is speed and stability, seeing that my wi-fi signal drops very often. I'm not sure if the repeaters will only increase my router range, but the speed also?

Trickmaster

Dedicated Member
May 23, 2014
Potato Heaven
Here's some stats for a better idea of what my wifi is like:
Depending on the time of day:
Download speed (using Ookla speedtest app on my iPad from a room upstairs, away from my router.): 10-15 mbps avg.
Upload speed (again using Ookla) : 1 mbps avg.
Ping: 45-60 avg.

I'm hoping to get my Download speed to around 20 mbps+ using my iPad. I know that the simplest way to do so isto move closer to my router, but I am looking for a solution where I can stay where I am. (Repeaters, or no?)

Marta

🦊 🐾 🏳️‍🌈
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
Oct 19, 2013
Manchester, UK.
marcoslater.com
Here's some stats for a better idea of what my wifi is like:
Depending on the time of day:
Download speed (using Ookla speedtest app on my iPad from a room upstairs, away from my router.): 10-15 mbps avg.
Upload speed (again using Ookla) : 1 mbps avg.
Ping: 45-60 avg.

I'm hoping to get my Download speed to around 20 mbps+ using my iPad. I know that the simplest way to do so isto move closer to my router, but I am looking for a solution where I can stay where I am. (Repeaters, or no?)

What results do you get when you are next to the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

CrystalLegend01 wrote on savina875's profile.
Thank you for the follow! And welcome to the Forums
MrTommy wrote on Eli's profile.
So ypy finally admitting im good at something :D
Screenshot_20240425_224822_Samsung Internet.jpg
Reesle wrote on The NightGhost02's profile.
Happy Birthday!! 🥳
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
Thjis wrote on CubeCraft's profile.
Happy Bday Cube Bedrock!
Top Bottom