Yes or nah

• Yes

• No. State a (valid) reason

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrHam

Forum Veteran
Sep 15, 2015
Kepler-452b
Backseat moderating, or mini modding, is doing the moderators job, without being one. It’s one, if no the most, annoying thing that happens on the forums. I’ve seen countless times people replying to thread without adding anything valuable other than “this has been posted last week. Rule 3.11 do not repeat” or similar.

There‘s a staff team in charge of doing this. That’s just a useless message that adds nothing to the conversation. What’s more, posting in #staff-help on discord is already forbidden, so why not forbidding backseat moderating forums (too)?

It’s a pretty common rule on other forum/communities for a reason

inb4 wannabes come

Rawrbin

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2019
the Eastside of America
I believe that if the community can help speed up the actions from the staffteam, by already giving the person in question the links to the previously mentioned topic, that's about the same as theirs, and then tells you that it's not allowed and giving them the rule, I don't think it's that big of a problem, since they did help the conversation and showed them other people their opinion.
However just mentioning that they are breaking a rule and not giving them enough information to continue their topic, is something that's not fun.
I'm not saying I am against this, nor that I'd want the rule.
However, that's my opinion on it.
I'm staying neutral. :)

Reactions: its_Marto03

TheZigbot9000

Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2016
The North Obsidian Pillar in The End
I don't think it's a problem. All they're doing is simply reminding you of the rule you're breaking. It's annoying yes, but do keep in mind that these are rules that everyone should know so you shouldn't even need to be reminded that they exist. Posting in #staff-help is an entirely different situation. It's a lot more active than a simple thread here on the forums. Most of those questions and concerns are about information normal players may not have full knowledge of, so to keep useless messages to a minimum in order to make sure important questions are seen and answered, normal players are not allowed to post there.

S4nne

Sr. Moderator
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jun 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Pronouns
She/Her
I personally don't mind if this becomes a rule or not, but I do agree that it's quite annoying. But it's also annoying to see the same threads, especially suggestions, over and over again.
I have to admit, I also place these messages sometimes, but only if I feel like it's actually useful for the person who started the thread and when I'm sure that it's correct information.
I've also noticed that some people don't even give the right answers sometimes. There are always people with those standard replies which is not even the real answer to the thread sometimes. This is really annoying and in these cases I prefer having a staff member answering a thread when it comes to moderation.

Reactions: remio

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
💌 Customer Support
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
I don't agree with you, mini modding can be very helpful for mod and helper. They have a lot to do, a bit of help can do no harm for them. I understand that you find it annoying and it might be.
But it has to be right, and helpful! If they give wrong information or so it's a bad thing. But we have to agree that reading the same suggestion over and over again can be quite annoying. Furthermore, for some things staff might not even be the right person. Take for example a thread I answered to. I don't think most staff members could have explained that and/or helped build the map. So sometimes other people should answer a thread.

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
I've never really understood why there is so much hate on people who are labelled as "helper wannabes" or "mini mods". All I see is someone trying to help another person in the community. It's a positive thing to do, to help someone. Even if everything they did in 'trying' to help someone wasn't correct, at least they tried, they're making a positive impact. I'm not sure why you'd want a rule implemented to prevent this kind of generous behaviour.

Emphasising on what @TheZigbot9000 said, Discord staff-help is a single channel which is constantly active and streaming with messages, so you only want staff answering players queries to cut down on the amount of monitoring needed for that channel. Whereas forums is a platform, used by numerous community members to discuss any topic and there are thousands of threads so I feel it's more than okay for a community member who is knowledgeable about a subject to try and offer help. That's the kind of behaviour you want thriving in your community.

its_Marto03

Nov 13, 2017
Dog's Land
I believe that if the community can help speed up the actions from the staffteam, by already giving the person in question the links to the previously mentioned topic, that's about the same as theirs, and then tells you that it's not allowed and giving them the rule, I don't think it's that big of a problem, since they did help the conversation and showed them other people their opinion.
However just mentioning that they are breaking a rule and not giving them enough information to continue their topic, is something that's not fun.
I'm not saying I am against this, nor that I'd want the rule.
However, that's my opinion on it.
I'm staying neutral. :)
I'm with you, It is good that the members also tell you the mistakes that are made so that in this way the staff's can know that we have rules knowledge.
Good post too.

D

Deleted member 469419

My vote is "No".

I've always heard that mini-modding and helper-wannabes are the worst things to do in this network (if you want to be helper).

But in my opinion this is a way to help all staff members, this takes work of helpers/moderators and as Efcluke's said this is a positive thing to do.

Also as I'm one of that guys, I don't want to this get implemented.

DrHam

Forum Veteran
Sep 15, 2015
Kepler-452b
I see there's some misunderstanding on what I mean with backseat moderating.

I've never really understood why there is so much hate on people who are labelled as "helper wannabes" or "mini mods". All I see is someone trying to help another person in the community. It's a positive thing to do, to help someone. Even if everything they did in 'trying' to help someone wasn't correct, at least they tried, they're making a positive impact. I'm not sure why you'd want a rule implemented to prevent this kind of generous behaviour.
But in my opinion this is a way to help all staff members, this takes work of helpers/moderators and as Efcluke's said this is a positive thing to do.

I do not have a problem with people trying to help others. That's not what, I at least, consider as mini-modding. Now, what about posting "this has been discussed X times. tags moderator please close" or "necroing is against the rules tags moderator please close". I don't really see how that's helpful.
Basically, this.

For instance, the thread @Fesa has linked. He did a good job and I don't see how that's backseat moderating.
More examples:
3.11 - Please don't repeat previously mentioned and discussed topics, unless you have something significant to add to the conversation and the previous topic is locked.
This is not the right place to appeal
Appeal your ban here https://appeals.cubecraft.net/

Both are (generic) replies to two different threads. See the difference? One's just copy pasting a rule, giving nothing useful. Other is doing something helpful by telling how to appeal. I don't think the later is backseat moderating

"
I really like the suggestion because stuff

PS: this has already been suggested before.
3.11 - Please don't repeat previously mentioned and discussed topics, unless you have something significant to add to the conversation and the previous topic is locked
"

vs
"Please stick to the rules:
3.11 - Please don't repeat previously mentioned and discussed topics, unless you have something significant to add to the conversation and the previous topic is locked"

MrTommy

Dedicated Member
Jul 3, 2019
Legoworld
www.instagram.com
Pronouns
He/Him
But why would you reply to a tread and give your feedback on it, while you already have done that on a earlier tread.

And staff can't monitor everything on the forums all the time. I sometimes say to people to not break rule 3.11, because i already know that there is a existing tread out there. I know how to find that tread, how to find the rules amd how to put it all together on the second tread.

After that i copy the link of the tread, post it in #staff-help on discord, the only thing a staff member has to do is qoute my tread, say locked and actually lock it, they can move on within 1 minute to other duties.

I ofcourse can't speak for the staff members, but i think that they find it helpfull that people are helping them, and are looking for copied treads or useless treads.

If people give false or incorrect information then a staff member can find that out, especially when they are mentioned or someone posted it in #staff-help and request a lock.

Like i said earlier i sometimes tell people about the rules, mainly about rule 3.11 and rule 3.4 , it is not like that i am looking trough every tread constantly to look for people breaking the rules. I just remember that someone else posted that idea and that i commented on it, and then i tell them to stick to the rules.

I've always heard that mini-modding and helper-wannabes are the worst things to do in this network (if you want to be helper).
And why are those the worst helper applications? I would say that people that don't meet the requirements (are 13 when applying but you need to be 14) or people that just joined the network are the worst. If you are too much of a helper wannabe then yes, it is annoying. But a bit of helper wanabe also shows to the staff team that you know the rules and are willing to help out.

D

Deleted member 469419

And why are those the worst helper applications? I would say that people that don't meet the requirements (are 13 when applying but you need to be 14) or people that just joined the network are the worst. If you are too much of a helper wannabe then yes, it is annoying. But a bit of helper wanabe also shows to the staff team that you know the rules and are willing to help out.

To very few staff members like it, Every ex staff/current staff member who I've talked with it had say me; to be a helper "don't be a helper wannabe".

Tbh, I see it unnecessary. You have to be as you are.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

HyperPal wrote on Elenahh's profile.
best team leader in history I swear on god respect
JokeKaedee wrote on HyperPal's profile.
AYYy you managed to get in ahhaha
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on r1ftz9462's profile.
Happy birthday
GiGaGekkies wrote on r1ftz9462's profile.
Happy Birthday
Top Bottom