Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Nuclide

Feb 16, 2021
Finland
youtu.be
I see where the admins are coming from, and I'm sure that it will benefit them in the end, but I can't see what they were losing out on while having a reasonable sized community of active translators managing themselves (the heads team, before revamp 1). What it seems like what happend is that they took over (revamp1), realized the amount of work needed (previously done by heads) and then decided to optimize it by removing the entire team and community along with it.
-- Note that's just how I see it, based on 0 facts --

This would be on paper a good idea, but what isn't considered is why so many people were so actively working on making cubecraft a better place, and now that it's gone, will this ever be as efficient as the team was.

I feel sorry for anyone who was a part of the team.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
It's too early to say if this is a good change or not, but it COULD be. Ultimately, the goal of the team was to translate the network as much as possible. If this new system is more efficient and better overall, then great.

But of course, most people are just upset because they lost their rank, let's be real 😉

The least you could've done is keeping Obsidian rank or something for your Ex-Sr.Translators.
Yeah ok, that is a fair point. Most other staff members receive Obsidian and permanent Plus as a thank you upon resigning, so the same would've been appropriate for the translators

Naaomita

Dec 12, 2020
Spain
Pronouns
She/Her
It's too early to say if this is a good change or not, but it COULD be. Ultimately, the goal of the team was to translate the network as much as possible. If this new system is more efficient and better overall, then great.

But of course, most people are just upset because they lost their rank, let's be real 😉

Yeah ok, that is a fair point. Most other staff members receive Obsidian and permanent Plus as a thank you upon resigning, so the same would've been appropriate for the translators
Many of us had no rank, we were just taken by surprise by the situation, I really don't think it's anger or something like that, it's more disappointment

Unxliee

Feb 24, 2019
Mars
Many of us had no rank, we were just taken by surprise by the situation, I really don't think it's anger or something like that, it's more disappointment
True, i worked for 2 years and i didn't get any thing.We were like one family.But some people simply decided to finish two years of hard and wonderful work in two minutes.In short, because they decided to end the problem instead of knowing its causes and trying to find solutions to it.

Blom

Forum Expert
Sep 12, 2018
MinerWare Town
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
First of all, not only translators are upset by this 'revamp', community members are also unsatisfied. I'll try to share my and others point of view to show you (and @Fesa, as they've posted that question on their profile) why everyone is that upset, besides the rank / privileges they lost.

Also, I want to state, there were hundreds of people without a rank that worked on translations as well. They aren't happy with this change either. That voids the point you stated in the first place.

For my second point you'll have to understand the people that worked as a translator. They've been in the same team for many years. They worked voluntary, worked hard and delivered quality work. They've been a family as a team, probably the closest team across the network. All out of nowhere, the team gets dropped. No discussions, no consultation with the team, no communication at all. I could get that the TT is angry only because of that.

But, that's not even everything. Many of the TT members haven't played CubeCraft too often. Either they didn't enjoy it too much or they had other things to do with their time, I can't tell you. What I can tell is that those people were an important part in the community. When I joined a conversation in the Discord server, it was odd if I didn't see a red name. These people have been here for quite some time, and now, as they don't really play on CubeCraft that actively, they have nothing to stay in the community for. This won't only be a loss for the Staff Team, but also a loss for the community: something fairly valuable in these tough times for Minecraft servers in general.

Then lastly we have their Staff position. Now this sounds similar to what you mentioned, but the point I want to make is quite different. Theoretically, Translation Team was already "merged with the community", as all TT members were volunteers for the network. They went through an application process and were moderated on their work, so that the quality remained of high level. As you see, this job was pretty wanted around the community: it was an 'easy accessible' staff role, a great way to do something back for CubeCraft after all they gave them. Because it was a wanted job, there would always be applications for the team. The team could select the best of the best, the 'crème de la crème', and thus retain motivation and activity. The current situation is much different: Less people will know about the existence of this new translation program (no more server-wide messages online, no more applications, no more people advertising to join because of the staff position), the general quality of translations will be lower (every 12yo can submit strings if they wish), as well as the pressure on proofreaders will be higher (they'll basically become the translation team, as they have to filter and change all the nonsense translations that will be submitted). In addition, there won't be any internal communication, nor internal feedback between experienced translators. I personally believe communication was already a problem within CubeCraft (this 'revamp' is a perfect example of that), so that's definitely not an improvement

Not to forget, on top of all these bigger issues, you also have anger about ranks and privileges, but that was for a small elite only anyways.

Concluding, I don't see how this program will be beneficial for CubeCraft at all. They destructed an important part of the community without even discussing that with them, put a ton of pressure on the remaining part of the team, they removed all requirements for becoming a translator and they made it not rewarding at all, which will take away motivation from everyone that ever wanted to be part of the team.

Very curious how this will turn out in the future. And to answer the question: even though their work isn't voided, I feel like the prestige of the function is, as well as the family the team formed, which is enough reason for many people to be upset.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
I really don't think it's anger or something like that, it's more disappointment
76bc1eab61ea19064c71992ad04a8e33.png

First of all, not only translators are upset by this 'revamp', community members are also unsatisfied. I'll try to share my and others point of view to show you (and @Fesa, as they've posted that question on their profile) why everyone is that upset, besides the rank / privileges they lost.

Also, I want to state, there were hundreds of people without a rank that worked on translations as well. They aren't happy with this change either. That voids the point you stated in the first place.

For my second point you'll have to understand the people that worked as a translator. They've been in the same team for many years. They worked voluntary, worked hard and delivered quality work. They've been a family as a team, probably the closest team across the network. All out of nowhere, the team gets dropped. No discussions, no consultation with the team, no communication at all. I could get that the TT is angry only because of that.

But, that's not even everything. Many of the TT members haven't played CubeCraft too often. Either they didn't enjoy it too much or they had other things to do with their time, I can't tell you. What I can tell is that those people were an important part in the community. When I joined a conversation in the Discord server, it was odd if I didn't see a red name. These people have been here for quite some time, and now, as they don't really play on CubeCraft that actively, they have nothing to stay in the community for. This won't only be a loss for the Staff Team, but also a loss for the community: something fairly valuable in these tough times for Minecraft servers in general.

Then lastly we have their Staff position. Now this sounds similar to what you mentioned, but the point I want to make is quite different. Theoretically, Translation Team was already "merged with the community", as all TT members were volunteers for the network. They went through an application process and were moderated on their work, so that the quality remained of high level. As you see, this job was pretty wanted around the community: it was an 'easy accessible' staff role, a great way to do something back for CubeCraft after all they gave them. Because it was a wanted job, there would always be applications for the team. The team could select the best of the best, the 'crème de la crème', and thus retain motivation and activity. The current situation is much different: Less people will know about the existence of this new translation program (no more server-wide messages online, no more applications, no more people advertising to join because of the staff position), the general quality of translations will be lower (every 12yo can submit strings if they wish), as well as the pressure on proofreaders will be higher (they'll basically become the translation team, as they have to filter and change all the nonsense translations that will be submitted). In addition, there won't be any internal communication, nor internal feedback between experienced translators. I personally believe communication was already a problem within CubeCraft (this 'revamp' is a perfect example of that), so that's definitely not an improvement

Not to forget, on top of all these bigger issues, you also have anger about ranks and privileges, but that was for a small elite only anyways.

Concluding, I don't see how this program will be beneficial for CubeCraft at all. They destructed an important part of the community without even discussing that with them, put a ton of pressure on the remaining part of the team, they removed all requirements for becoming a translator and they made it not rewarding at all, which will take away motivation from everyone that ever wanted to be part of the team.

Very curious how this will turn out in the future. And to answer the question: even though their work isn't voided, I feel like the prestige of the function is, as well as the family the team formed, which is enough reason for many people to be upset.
Obviously, the majority of translation team members didn't have an official staff rank, but they were still hierarchically placed above the other community members, in a way. The point still stands. A lot of people are upset about the team being dropped and a lot of people bring up arguments bashing the new system, even though the truth is translations are not being dropped. The complexity that the translation team was, mainly because of its size, is being dropped. The wider community can now contribute to translations and honestly, I don't see how that isn't something great.

I used to be in the translation team for a long time as well, and I would be disappointed too if such a nice subcommunity suddenly becomes irrelevant. But knowing it's for the better, I'd find peace with it. Consultations and discussions with the translation team would have been completely pointless. Of course, not a single translation team member would have agreed to this.

The Translation Team's purpose should never have been to be 'a second family' or to be 'a nice community.' Its purpose should be to get things translated, and if there's an alternative system that is deemed better and faster, then why not opt for that instead.

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs

If you’d have put all the time and energy you put into writing this into solving climate change we’d be good by now

Naaomita

Dec 12, 2020
Spain
Pronouns
She/Her
View attachment 210848

Obviously, the majority of translation team members didn't have an official staff rank, but they were still hierarchically placed above the other community members, in a way. The point still stands. A lot of people are upset about the team being dropped and a lot of people bring up arguments bashing the new system, even though the truth is translations are not being dropped. The complexity that the translation team was, mainly because of its size, is being dropped. The wider community can now contribute to translations and honestly, I don't see how that isn't something great.

I used to be in the translation team for a long time as well, and I would be disappointed too if such a nice subcommunity suddenly becomes irrelevant. But knowing it's for the better, I'd find peace with it. Consultations and discussions with the translation team would have been completely pointless. Of course, not a single translation team member would have agreed to this.

The Translation Team's purpose should never have been to be 'a second family' or to be 'a nice community.' Its purpose should be to get things translated, and if there's an alternative system that is deemed better and faster, then why not opt for that instead.
I still think it's just disappointment, how would you have reacted if from one day to the next you were kicked out of the team without any kind of coherent reason? I hope this change is good and cubecraft will get better because otherwise they will have lost a great team🤷🏼‍♀️
You can't judge people's reactions without knowing how they really feel about this change

Khxliee

Novice Member
May 12, 2020
Syria
View attachment 210848

Are you okay?

We spent years trying to provide the best translations quality, and here you are thinking that we only care about the rank.

If you don't want us to be like family or feel comfortable doing our work, why didn't you develop bots to translate the server using google translate or some other ways. We are humans and we have feelings, using us like that for years and then throwing us isn't something "Professional".

But seems like you can't understand the feelings part, I suggest promoting this guy to admin.

Also, what do you mean with "But knowing it's for the better, I'd find peace with it." ?
like, I'm sure all the Prs are going to leave so can you please tell me who is going to proofread the strings? and do you think that using the votes system would help?
Do you understand the risks of it?

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
I still think it's just disappointment, how would you have reacted if from one day to the next you were kicked out of the team without any kind of coherent reason? I hope this change is good and cubecraft will get better because otherwise they will have lost a great team🤷🏼‍♀️
You can't judge people's reactions without knowing how they really feel about this change
As I said in my response, I too would be disappointed but in the end, I'd also find peace with it knowing it was, in fact, for a coherent reason: an alternative system that could be more efficient and is available to the broader community, allowing many more people to help.
This is a forum. Its entire point is to discuss.

We spent years trying to provide the best translations quality
Surprise: you still can! Keep on doing that if you enjoy it! 🎉

Komodо

Forum Professional
May 29, 2015
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
www.cubecraft.net
As I said in my response, I too would be disappointed but in the end, I'd also find peace with it knowing it was, in fact, for a coherent reason: an alternative system that could be more efficient and is available to the broader community, allowing many more people to help.
This is a forum. Its entire point is to discuss.

I think that’s not the problem. In their heads, including mine, it feels like the admin team took away years of work, the community and the overall motivation. It might be more nuanced. However, that’s the current mood. How it will end up, no one knows. It just feels like on every update they take a step in the wrong direction. Lack of communcation, community activity and acceptance of criticism, strengthen these misunderstood feelings. In the end it might be the right decision, who knows.

Lack of accreditance is a global problem. Tryhards get zero to none recognition, being around on the forums isn’t that worthy anymore and now the translation team got disbanded with almost no credit regarding their work.

It will be a new adventure for other people who want to become of the team and old people who will stay. I just don’t think always having to renew, change and revamp a system, is the way to go. Especially when the previous was better.

If I missed any crucial points lemme know, but this is my POV

KLsz

Novice Member
Jul 29, 2020
View attachment 210848

Well, that would have been true if the solution right now is better than before, but it isn't.

Translation is a complex work. You could have a thousand different ways to translate a single string, and you need a place for all the translators to discuss and make decisions. Even in those Minecraft servers using this work model like the Hy server, local translators still have to make their own groups to discuss and vote on translations.

In my opinion, the changes happening right now didn't make anything better. Sure, the current Translation Team is crippled. Maybe by getting rid of it, CubeCraft translations could have a new start, but that just bring us all the way back to 2019. New translators coming after the incident still need a place to discuss on translations. Maybe one day a new admin will come and create a new Translation Team, and we are going to walk our way all again.

Well, that's in case if CubeCraft could really see a new spring. The pandemic season has been over, and CubeCraft's popularity are again starting to drop. Without all these active members supporting the community, can CubeCraft really fly again?

Blom

Forum Expert
Sep 12, 2018
MinerWare Town
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
If you’d have put all the time and energy you put into writing this into solving climate change we’d be good by now
this is not funny .-.
Wdym not funny? that's like the funniest comment I'll read all day lol
but they were still hierarchically placed above the other community members, in a way. The point still stands.
Exactly! Because they were 'higher' hierarchically, there was interest in becoming a translator. Right now, it doesn't reward being a translator anymore, which will take away a big motivation of many.
The wider community can now contribute to translations and honestly, I don't see how that isn't something great.
To take that motivational point even further, the current, correction, old translators won't participate in this anymore after what happened (I can understand that). These before motivated and talented people were the core of the quality translations. Taking away the biggest source of quality doesn't seem beneficial to me. Obviously, we can agree to disagree here, and only the future will tell us whether the new system works.
The Translation Team's purpose should never have been to be 'a second family' or to be 'a nice community.' Its purpose should be to get things translated
This comment however is one I don't understand. A great atmosphere stimulates people to perform and execute their job. I don't think anywhere else around CubeCraft there is a team so closely connected with each other. A closely connected team has: 1. better communication, 2. more motivation, 3. reason to keep doing what they're doing. Besides that, the TT was an important part of the entire community, which is also why they signed up in the first place. By removing the team on a way like this, you take away a part of the entire community.
Consultations and discussions with the translation team would have been completely pointless. Of course, not a single translation team member would have agreed to this.
Last point is true, obviously, but that doesn't make a conversation useless. CubeCraft could've done all of this more gradually if they think this is really the best system. Right now, they just said: "hey, we decided we don't need you anymore, cyaaaa!" That's not what I and many others would call 'great communication'.

Well, that would have been true if the solution right now is better than before, but it isn't.
I do have to agree with some of the people that support this decision, we don't know what this will result in. For that matter, only the future can point this out for us. I hold my breath, as I don't think the system would work at all, but as I cannot prove it - no one can - we'll simply have to wait. That's also why people cannot have peace with it as for now, as they don't know if it's for the better.

I see your point of view Priley, and I think you brought some points that are indeed true, but I still want to conclude that most people aren't upset because their rank has been removed.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
This comment however is one I don't understand. A great atmosphere stimulates people to perform and execute their job. I don't think anywhere else around CubeCraft there is a team so closely connected with each other. A closely connected team has: 1. better communication, 2. more motivation, 3. reason to keep doing what they're doing. Besides that, the TT was an important part of the entire community, which is also why they signed up in the first place. By removing the team on a way like this, you take away a part of the entire community.
I think we've both made valid points, but we'll keep on agreeing to disagreeing. I would still like to clarify what I meant by my previous comment.

Of course, a team has to be cohesive and there has to be good communication in order to make something happen, but a sense of friendship and creating a second family isn't the purpose of the team. I'm saying this because a lot of people have said the team was a great family and that Cube has destroyed that part of the community. But ultimately, that's not what its purpose was.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Infringement wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congrats on becoming a Helper!
Your pink now!!!!
Infringement wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Mintypie231, how’s your day going?

Good or Bad
Alexp192 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congratulations!
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on Frontlane's profile.
Congrats 🎉
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congrats 🥳
Top Bottom