Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Agree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
I have never felt the need to express that I'm gay on a Minecraft server, and I've played servers for almost four years. 99% of the time, it will be used in a derogatory manner that will upset people. The word by itself isn't an insult, but it will be frequently used in an offensive context.

I have never felt the need to express that I'm gay on a Minecraft server, and I've played servers for almost four years. 99% of the time, it will be used in a derogatory manner that will upset people. The word by itself isn't an insult, but it will be frequently used in an offensive context.
Majority of people on Minecraft servers are between the ages 10-15 (there are some less and some more). At this age most people are hitting puberty.. exploring their sexuality... and therefore many are coming to terms with being gay. For many people, this is hard (which is well documented) and having a word describing their identity being censored just makes them feel more out of place. In a game which is built around freedom, it doesn't make sense to make people feel unwanted/odd/unusual in any way and censoring this word definitely can make people feel out of place. I understand this isn't the case for everyone.
What I'm saying is the word use isn't the problem, it's the idea of censoring an identity.

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
I can understand that this is filtered, and a part of me really wants it unfiltered (Is that a word) but the other part of me, knows why it is filtered..
So, I don't know..

I can understand that this is filtered, and a part of me really wants it unfiltered (Is that a word) but the other part of me, knows why it is filtered..
So, I don't know..
(I voted yes, but I since I can't change my vote: it's neither)

is there a way I can make it so that you can change your vote?

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Majority of people on Minecraft servers are between the ages 10-15 (there are some less and some more). At this age most people are hitting puberty.. exploring their sexuality... and therefore many are coming to terms with being gay. For many people, this is hard (which is well documented) and having a word describing their identity being censored just makes them feel more out of place. In a game which is built around freedom, it doesn't make sense to make people feel unwanted/odd/unusual in any way and censoring this word definitely can make people feel out of place. I understand this isn't the case for everyone.
What I'm saying is the word use isn't the problem, it's the idea of censoring an identity.
Good point. Rather than 'You cannot say this!' coming up, a custom dialogue could be added, such as ''Gay' has been censored to avoid negative use of the term'. That way, it's clear that being gay itself isn't the problem, but how people tend to use the word.

Good point. Rather than 'You cannot say this!' coming up, a custom dialogue could be added, such as ''Gay' has been censored to avoid negative use of the term'. That way, it's clear that being gay itself isn't the problem, but how people tend to use the word.

I don't think that's fair still, but that would be a nice way around it that wouldn't be too hard.

Reactions: Sweetenerera

Younisco

Forum Professional
May 13, 2014
london
I will try and see what other people think of this, however it will more than likely remain blocked. Considering that talking about sexuality is a controversial topic, we wouldn’t want it on our server anyways (same way that talking about religion and ethics could spark a debate), as it could go out of hand. There is bound to be people that say “wow you’re so gay” or “that’s gay”, and people will get offended by it - it’s a euphemism carried through to be used as a derogatory insult rather than, back in the day, to mean happy.

If you seriously would like to talk about sexuality with one another, then perhaps a messaging app like Discord or Skype would be suitable, rather than a public chat.

I’ll see what others think.

_Oplex_

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2016
Under Your Bed (O.o)
I will try and see what other people think of this, however it will more than likely remain blocked. Considering that talking about sexuality is a controversial topic, we wouldn’t want it on our server anyways (same way that talking about religion and ethics could spark a debate), as it could go out of hand. There is bound to be people that say “wow you’re so gay” or “that’s gay”, and people will get offended by it - it’s a euphemism carried through to be used as a derogatory insult rather than, back in the day, to mean happy.

If you seriously would like to talk about sexuality with one another, then perhaps a messaging app like Discord or Skype would be suitable, rather than a public chat.

I’ll see what others think.
Or talk in party chat! oh...

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I think it should not be unblocked, because I think the most people use it to insult people, and not to have a normal conversation about being gay or lesbian.
If you would like to talk about being gay in a normal way (so you do not insult people in your conversation) you can always bypass the chat filter by saying g4y or something.
I do not think you should be muted if you talk about it in a normal way.
But, maybe you should talk in a party chat or via /msg as it is a controversial topic, and there will always be people who make a gyazo picture from you saying gay, so the moderator can not see the context. Be careful ;)
Another reason why I think it should not be unblocked is that there are more gay people on this server than you know.
You could hurt them without having the intention to hurt them.
I hope you will understand me :)

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
"I'm gay" is already allowed through the chat filter. If this isn't the case then you should probably submit a bug report.
upload_2018-2-28_10-26-38.png

You can say "I'm gay" but nothing even remotely similar. Both 'Gay' and 'I am gay' are still banned. This filter is really messy... :/

Quetzi

Jun 7, 2017
@quetzi
quetzi.tv
Other uses are blocked, yes. In most other use cases it is being used in a toxic way. This is very much a case of the actions of the few bad apples ruining it for everybody else.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Other uses are blocked, yes. In most other use cases it is being used in a toxic way. This is very much a case of the actions of the few bad apples ruining it for everybody else.
Would a solution such as this be possible?

Rather than 'You cannot say this!' coming up, a custom dialogue could be added, such as ''Gay' has been censored to avoid negative use of the term'. That way, it's clear that being gay itself isn't the problem, but how people tend to use the word.
Currently, people's sexual orientations are essentially being treated the same as swear words, hence why threads of this subject are so common in the first place. It's the same as when 'Trump' was censored, people assumed CCG was enforcing a poltical agenda when actually, it was done for the opposite reason. If an explanation for why these terms are censored is given, people will have no reason to take offence.

Reactions: SubSub

Quetzi

Jun 7, 2017
@quetzi
quetzi.tv
Providing a custom response for each filter hit is not feasible. There are quite a few words that would fall into the same category. Personally I would actually question the need to express your sexuality (whatever it may be) in a place with a large number of children present, it simply isn't appropriate.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
As SubSub mentioned, a lot of teens play here, and are currently undergoing a lot of identity crises. They aren't necessarily going to express themselves in public chat (where the term could still be censored if necessary), but they probably have many friends on Minecraft who they feel they can relate with. Feeling invalidated about their sexuality on a server that they spend much of their time will naturally upset them (hence why this thread is more-or-less re-posted every month).

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

GiGaGekkies wrote on Evaluatiefout's profile.
Happy Birthday
UncleSpect wrote on Basketman's profile.
Basket 🤍
UncleSpect wrote on Evaluatiefout's profile.
thanks for the follow my cutie friend! 🤍
xEefster wrote on Evaluatiefout's profile.
Happybirthday bbg!! ❤🥳
Thjis wrote on Evaluatiefout's profile.
Gefeliciteerd Eva!
Top Bottom