the thing work.
no empty servers.
nice :D

you make a good base for next updates. pls make good updates

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
HELLO. why the npcs has no correlation with the game?
only lucky islands and eggwars make sense
can search a better skin for the npcs?

Reactions: God.

Sjemmie

Novice Member
Jul 12, 2017
View attachment 148871
Hello CubeCrafters!

It's been a while since I got to write an update but here we go.

Here's the TL;DR: We're removing games that had little to no players and have redesigned the lobby. If you'd like to know more read on!

We're aware that there are going to be players of the games we've removed who are very disappointed but we also think that you'll appreciate the fact that getting those games to start took a long long time and in some cases was impossible. We've tried to make sure that there is a balance between combat orientated games and games that are popular without combat. The last slot (currently "???") will be taken up by a featured game. Any guesses on what our first one might be?

Currently available in the new lobby is:
  • Tower Defence
  • Lucky Islands
  • SkyWars
  • EggWars
  • PvP
  • Parkour
  • ???????

It's been a long time coming for us to clean up all the mini-games we have and make the network both more manageable for us and better for players. With the decrease generally in the number of Minecraft Java players we've decided now is the right time. For the longtime CubeCraft players put yourself in the shoes of a new player who's joining the network for the first time (yes there are still a fair few of those!). If they joined one of our less popular games then they may have to wait quite a while for it to start. In fact that game may never start, which would be a very frustrating player experience. Decreasing the number of total games allows them to be full more of the time and make sure they begin quickly. We have had a similar experience on Bedrock and players can get in to a game quickly with it starting regularly.

Fewer games means that we can also focus on improvements to those games. I know that it frustrates members of the community when they suggest something, get feed back and even receive the "Escalated" tag but then not see it in the game weeks or even months after. The main reason for this is time and resource. Many people who want to help seem to think that both of these are unlimited (or at least more than we have). To provide continuous updates for 41 different games (as single and team modes are different code wise) as a team of 7 developers is impossible. This has changed in recent months as we also started working on the Bedrock versions of our games too. The only way that it is feasible for us to continue is to decrease the number of games we have allowing more of our developers a chance to work on them.

It's worth noting that just because a lot of games are going to be unavailable we're not simply deleting them. For now we'll be showing them off on a 2 week rotating basis through the Featured Game area. This is also where we'll show off our seasonal games. We've already decided what our first featured game will be and we're looking forward to releasing it, however we'd like to hear which games you want to see after that. Leave us a comment below with your vote! (Unless it's BlockBand, that's not coming back).

There are some negatives of the new lobby system. For now we've removed the compass so you will have to walk and hit the NPC you want to play however we've also taken the redesign as an opportunity to add in a lot of other quality of life updates:
  • There are no longer lots of different lobbies each with their own layouts meaning we can focus builders on new game maps etc.
  • All players will pass through the main lobby making it easier to find people you want to play with.
  • The old leaderboards are gone and are now in a menu meaning we can show the top 200 players not just the top 5!
  • Game shops are now available in the main lobby (accessed via the book in your inventory).
  • The Lucky Islands resource pack is now optional.
  • You can see the player counts for each game from the lobby.
  • New duel settings! Right click on a player to challenge them (disable-able in settings).
  • New Lobby Parkour and Vortex Jump.
  • New Chest Chaser and Relic Hunter locations.
  • Redesigned Main Lobby (we made it a little smaller so it's easier to find things!)

Now that's the main negative out of the way, let's talk about some of the new features and changes!

Just like the Bedrock version of CubeCraft we have now added NPCs to our main lobby that you can use to select a game. All the functionality is still there that you would expect such as being able to select maps as a premium user.

Left clicking on an NPC will bring up the menu for that game. From here you can click on the game's item to jump in to a game or (if you have a rank that allows it) right click the icon to select a map. For games with more than one version (for example team and solo) you will see two icons.

In the bottom right you can also see a map. Clicking on this will show your statistics for that game.

This is where you'll be able to find our seasonal games (with one coming soon ;)) and out of season they'll be a different game every 2 weeks. We'll be announcing them in advance so you'll know what's available when. We'll also be opening up a poll every now and again for you guys to vote on the games you want to see here. Who knows, maybe if a game is consistently popular it might get a permanent zone...

View attachment 148872
That's everything I think. A lot to digest and no doubt a lot to get used to! I hope that you can all understand the reasons behind this and I look forward to seeing which games get chosen to be featured. The new leaderboard system is also interesting... but that's for another, future, post!

See you all in game :D
I dont really like this. i love all the lobby's of the games. and why you remove mineware it was a rlly nice game

LEO_KILLER_01

Nov 30, 2016
The Gym
Well go back before the update is probably the best so...

I mean seriously there is maybe 1 positive thing about this update.
Ok, but if there is only “1 positive thing” as you said, maybe we as a community should help by giving ideas on how to make it better, not just saying “I hated or bring old cube back” will help.Thats what I meant to say.

johncoles

Forum Expert
Jan 6, 2014
Manchester, UK
johncoles.com
I made an account just to post my 'opinion'.
Welcome to the forums :D

Quote 1:We've tried to make sure that there is a balance between combat orientated games and games that are popular without combat.
Really?
All of the games are now pvp games. Accept parcours.
So people who bought a rank to play games like: survival, arcade, bingo, minerware, freebuild (non pvp-games) well, let's forget about those players shall we?
They've invested, but let's skip that part.
Saying these games are all dead, is incorrect! Even at 2 am we were able to play bingo, EVERY night!
So dead? I don't think so. Less players, maybe? But then let's be honest: it's only to cut back on money.
Servers that have to be paid, so let's shut them down and tell people it's because of the have to wait, maybe a few minutes... The horror of waiting.

That's simply not true. We don't just have 20 SkyWars servers. We simply have thousands of instances that then get assigned to a game for the one play. If bingo had suddenly been the most popular game ever we would have just had more servers for it. However it wasn't.

Quote 2: For the longtime CubeCraft players put yourself in the shoes of a new player who's joining the network for the first time (yes there are still a fair few of those!). If they joined one of our less popular games then they may have to wait quite a while for it to start.
So there we have it: NEW players, even if they are the minority… The players who have supported the server, spend money on ranks, gifts and so on... Again, let's skip them, the new ones will make us money.
Isn't it the point of helping new players? Maybe explaining the game when they join? I don't think waiting for a few moments/minutes is so terrible?
Your argument is: now they will join the other games, 'cause we've decreased the number of total available games.
Maybe a few of them, but believe me, al lot of players will quit!
There will be some loss in existing players leaving due to their favourite game not being here, that's why we removed games that the majority of players don't really touch.

Quote 3: Now we can improve our games, developers will have the time to do so.
There a much easier way to do so: take a gamemode offline, maybe even a month, make sure you get the updates needed: tadaaa gamemode updated & happy players. Because you only take 1 or 2 gamemodes down at once.
Actually updates en coding never happens on the mainserver, but a testserver. So not even needed to get it completely offline, unless a total recode is necessary.
You know we don't have to take them out to do an update? We have many, many test instances. Just like for this update we didn't take the whole network down for a month ;).

I do understand that java vs bedrock has giving everyone a lot of headaches.
But this is something 80% of the players don't realize.

The NPC I think is a good choice.
Gives less problems, and is an easy way to connect to the desired gamemode.
No negatives there.
Although for staff, it will be a lot harder to control your main chats, because you're putting a lot of players in 1 lobby at the same time.
I do know what I'm talking about (I'm staff myself, but not on cube) ;)

And last but not least.
We (my friends, also a few staffmembers and I) have Always enjoyed cube soooo much!
After being 'at work' ourselves we Always played Bingo. This was our way of a relaxing moment at the end of the day!
I hate to think that these moments are gone. Because, all of us, don't play any of the other games (only Bingo, minerware en sometimes arcade)

So I really do hope that management will take these thing in consideration.
Because we really enjoyed our time at cube. We're all rankers, but for us (for now) no more cube.

Please don't leave negative comments on this post. Like a said: this is my opinion which I liked to get across to the staffs/admins/developers.

Thank you and kind regards

Thanks! I like the NPCs too! I think they look much better than armour stands. We'll see about the moderation side. If anything it makes that easier too as there are fewer places for the conversations to be happening.

Reactions: LEO_KILLER_01

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
I imagine all staffs
—post you
—why me? Make you
—no you
—pls me no, you
—i dont want to post it people will hate me
—ok
—paper stone scicors
—john
—me no pls
—sorry you loose
—crap
@johncoles is than true?

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Reesle wrote on SAASD's profile.
Hey pro! Long time no see, Hru? :D
Reesle wrote on itsmochhi's profile.
Thanks for everything! Hope you have a good life.
As per the removal of the design team CubeCraft will now remove the Moderation team due to them costing CubeCraft the same amount of extra money - nothing.
Reesle wrote on Tommy Boi's profile.
Congrats on 300 reaction score!!
Top Bottom