Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
Hello,

This might be a controversial topic, but I think it's important.
I was doing some research for my thread, and I found some old videos, one going as far back as the end of 2013.. The person in the video was playing SkyWars on the map Trees. This is something that has always bugged me: some maps, like trees, have never had a proper update. Those maps have been on the server for so insanely long: they need an update.

I get that entire ''nostalgia'' part, but a map like this:
Solo Skywars - Trees.jpg

Doesn't look like it should belong together with maps like this:
Solo SkyWars - Zen.jpg

Even older maps like Candy, End, Jungle and Snowy have gotten an update.
As I said, I get that people want to keep Trees because it's been on the server for so long, but I think it's really time for an update.
(also, another important reason is mid is so far away..)

D

Deleted member 421664

I liked your idea, it's really for feels important for skywars!

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
Hello,

This might be a controversial topic, but I think it's important.
I was doing some research for my thread, and I found some old videos, one going as far back as the end of 2013.. The person in the video was playing SkyWars on the map Trees. This is something that has always bugged me: some maps, like trees, have never had a proper update. Those maps have been on the server for so insanely long: they need an update.

I get that entire ''nostalgia'' part, but a map like this:

Doesn't look like it should belong together with maps like this:

Even older maps like Candy, End, Jungle and Snowy have gotten an update.
As I said, I get that people want to keep Trees because it's been on the server for so long, but I think it's really time for an update.
(also, another important reason is mid is so far away..)
The reason that it hasn't been updated is because the majority of the server doesn't want it to be updated. And it wasn't nesecarry. I feel like a map like sand (I don't know the name atm, sorry) needed an update, because there were some flaws within the map. In the case of trees this wasn't the case. The same is for castle. It's an older map. And the reason its the same is because there are no flaws, and the majority likes it.
For me, someone who's been playing since 2013, if they remove some of the og maps (i already miss so much, the old pirates, angelic, biomes and I can go on for a long time), I would just leave the server, because nothing for me connects to the server I used to play all those years ago. And I know a lot of players who have the same mindset, and I think a large part of the 1.8 cube community also agrees with me.

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
I feel like a map like sand (I don't know the name atm, sorry) needed an update, because there were some flaws within the map. In the case of trees this wasn't the case. The same is for castle.
There are flaws tho? You can either stay on your island or fight the person next to you. You can't go to mid because you'll inevitable be thrown off. The distance between middle and the islands is way too long.
Another flaw: It looks awful and outdated.
If this was a server, which just started, with 100 players, something like this would be expected. (Or a downloaded map.)
But this a popular server, which started in 2013..
These are some of the things the build team has made:
parkour lobby.png

Speed Eggwars - Civilization.png

Solo SkyWars - Zen.jpg
Perilous.png

Look at it.. It's so insanely impressive to say the absolutely bare minimum.
Then you look at something like SkyWars Trees? and it's just?? Why?? It's so basic. The trees aren't self-made and the build team has proven time and time again that they can make AMAZING trees.

Trees. Is. Out. Dated.

For me, someone who's been playing since 2013, if they remove some of the og maps (i already miss so much, the old pirates, angelic, biomes and I can go on for a long time), I would just leave the server, because nothing for me connects to the server I used to play all those years ago.
Hey, I know something to connect you: Skywars as a whole..
Skywars is one of the oldest games on the server. Them re-making Trees could still connect you to the server, but it's just, ya know, updated, and better.

and I think a large part of the 1.8 cube community also agrees with me.
I consider myself a 1.8 player. If I PvP, it's in 1.8. I simply perfer it much more. I love to see videos or screenshots from older games such as Super Craft Bros, Parkour Minigame, Hour Glass. Simply because: nostalgia.
I'd love to see these games back and even some maps. But I am aware that they need updating to fit the current CubeCraft profile.
I get that you want to keep certain old parts of the server, but you need to realize that it needs updating.
Trees. Needs. Updating.

LordSidi0us

Forum Expert
Mar 1, 2019
Coruscant
The idea makes sense, because every map can be touched here and there once in a while.
I'm not bothered by it's current design, but I would like to hear what does bother you.

Reactions: Fqnta

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
There are flaws tho? You can either stay on your island or fight the person next to you. You can't go to mid because you'll inevitable be thrown off. The distance between middle and the islands is way too long.
Another flaw: It looks awful and outdated.
If this was a server, which just started, with 100 players, something like this would be expected. (Or a downloaded map.)
But this a popular server, which started in 2013..
These are some of the things the build team has made:

Look at it.. It's so insanely impressive to say the absolutely bare minimum.
Then you look at something like SkyWars Trees? and it's just?? Why?? It's so basic. The trees aren't self-made and the build team has proven time and time again that they can make AMAZING trees.

Trees. Is. Out. Dated.

Hey, I know something to connect you: Skywars as a whole..
Skywars is one of the oldest games on the server. Them re-making Trees could still connect you to the server, but it's just, ya know, updated, and better.

I consider myself a 1.8 player. If I PvP, it's in 1.8. I simply perfer it much more. I love to see videos or screenshots from older games such as Super Craft Bros, Parkour Minigame, Hour Glass. Simply because: nostalgia.
I'd love to see these games back and even some maps. But I am aware that they need updating to fit the current CubeCraft profile.
I get that you want to keep certain old parts of the server, but you need to realize that it needs updating.
Trees. Needs. Updating.
First of all, there are a lot of maps where it might take a longer time to go to mid, so you have to fight the person next to you, or camp. These are maps like tnt, castle, the new desert, temple, savanah.
The fact that it looks outdated also adds some flair to it (for me at least, I understand not to everyone).
I understand that the server needs updates, needs new maps, needs map upgrades, but there have to be some things which connect the gamemode to the server in it's humble beginnings. In skywars there are 2 maps which are still exactly the same as when the gamemode came out: trees and temple. Yes I think it might look better with some 'upgrades', but from the current 38 maps, if just 2 of them look a bit outdated, doesn't look like it affects the server.

In short, yes I agree it looks basic, yes it might need some upgrades, but we must remember the past. And if just 2 of the current 38 maps in use look a bit outdated, but connect the og community to the server's start, i dont think it should be changed.

If it will get changed, I think they then also should update a lot of other maps with problems. Like tnt, like flower, where u can make 2 god apples, glass, where there is full diamond armour and a god apple at mid (all if u make and mine it by urself oc).

For me it really is, yes, update the maps, but leave those 2 just for us the og community the same.

Love to see ur a 1.8 pvp'er as well btw!

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
but I would like to hear what does bother you.
???????????? I explained that in my thread?
The mid is too far away and it looks terrible if you see how the other maps look.

First of all, there are a lot of maps where it might take a longer time to go to mid, so you have to fight the person next to you, or camp. These are maps like tnt, castle, the new desert, temple, savanah.
That's why I don't play those maps :)
But if they were to make mid the same distance, but update how it looks, I wouldn't have the same amount of problems with it. Because at least it fits the other maps..
(Also, side note, TNT's entire point is that the islands are far from mid so you can TNT jump.

I understand that the server needs updates, needs new maps, needs map upgrades, but there have to be some things which connect the gamemode to the server in it's humble beginnings. In skywars there are 2 maps which are still exactly the same as when the gamemode came out: trees and temple.
SkyWars is a connection to CubeCraft's humble beginning. It was one of the first games. Other games? Spleef, Hide and Seek, Survival Games, Super Craft Bros, Parkour Minigame, TNT Run. How many of those are still on the server? 1,5. Because Survival Games is only playable when it's featured.
The fact that SkyWars is still on the server, should be enough of a connection to CCG's humble beginning.

Yes I think it might look better with some 'upgrades', but from the current 38 maps, if just 2 of them look a bit outdated, doesn't look like it affects the server.
No it doesn't affect the server, but it would make it look much better. This map looks lazy.

If it will get changed, I think they then also should update a lot of other maps with problems. Like tnt, like flower, where u can make 2 god apples, glass, where there is full diamond armour and a god apple at mid (all if u make and mine it by urself oc).
I didn't know you could make god apples in TNT? But yes, I agree, that is OP. They should change it to perhaps a few diamond ores and maybe one gold block. God apples are extremely overpowered. Should def. be changed.

For me it really is, yes, update the maps, but leave those 2 just for us the og community the same.
Well then re-add Super Craft Bros! Parkour Minigame! Re-add maps like Angelic, Mystic, Biomes. Because *nostalgia* and for the *OG community*.
If they really wanted to keep something for the OG community, they'd have kept a game like SCB, PM. They'd have kept more OG maps.
They can do a nostalgia weekend every month to give something to the ''OG'' community.

Love to see ur a 1.8 pvp'er as well btw!
:) 1.8 is superior

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
I've been playing SkyWars for a really long time and I still play hundreds of games a week and I have to say that Trees despite not being updated ever is still a pretty solid map, probably in like a B tier, I could name at least 10 maps that are worse than it.

The mid being far away doesn't make sense to me as many maps have a far away mid, its a trade-off, if it's risky to get there then you should reap the rewards in my eyes, it's also really not hard to push, as there is already an existing bridge to get there.

I think your reasoning that it needs an update simply because it hasn't had one- is bad. If something isn't broken then don't fix it, if it is broken- then please explain why in better detail because "mid is far away and ugly" is not good enough to change a fundamental map that has existed for 7 years.

Why it's good.
Zen is easily an A in both visuals and gameplay, so to compare them I feel is unfair considering there are also maps way worse than Trees.

Trees may have a large distance to mid, but it also has the closest distance to other players of any map, mid is also lower downwards meaning you take fall damage and cant easily get back up, it has lava and a trap inside the island. Going to mid doesnt give you a great advantage, its very risky, as with any map.

The islands are small but have a defensive part behind them so you cant just get shot off, you also have an inside for cover which doesnt have a ladder, which is always a plus.

SkyWars revels in its simplicity and just because the build team can make monolithic pretty trees doesnt mean they should, they used Minecraft trees, it's a simple but effective map that I dont think we should touch at all, it plays well and most SkyWars players will agree.

Yes, it's not pretty, but due to its simplicity there is almost nothing you can edit in the map to make it look better without radically changing the gameplay and again, it's very classic and you dont want to impede on the image of it.

Massively disagree on this one.

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
???????????? I explained that in my thread?
The mid is too far away and it looks terrible if you see how the other maps look.

That's why I don't play those maps :)
But if they were to make mid the same distance, but update how it looks, I wouldn't have the same amount of problems with it. Because at least it fits the other maps..
(Also, side note, TNT's entire point is that the islands are far from mid so you can TNT jump.

SkyWars is a connection to CubeCraft's humble beginning. It was one of the first games. Other games? Spleef, Hide and Seek, Survival Games, Super Craft Bros, Parkour Minigame, TNT Run. How many of those are still on the server? 1,5. Because Survival Games is only playable when it's featured.
The fact that SkyWars is still on the server, should be enough of a connection to CCG's humble beginning.

No it doesn't affect the server, but it would make it look much better. This map looks lazy.

I didn't know you could make god apples in TNT? But yes, I agree, that is OP. They should change it to perhaps a few diamond ores and maybe one gold block. God apples are extremely overpowered. Should def. be changed.

Well then re-add Super Craft Bros! Parkour Minigame! Re-add maps like Angelic, Mystic, Biomes. Because *nostalgia* and for the *OG community*.
If they really wanted to keep something for the OG community, they'd have kept a game like SCB, PM. They'd have kept more OG maps.
They can do a nostalgia weekend every month to give something to the ''OG'' community.

:) 1.8 is superior
If you don't play those maps, also just skip trees..? Yes there's lots of games which got cancelled, but the reason they got cancelled was because there weren't enough players, so it would take to long to start a game. The reason skywars is still in is because it attracts the second mosts players on the server at one time (just behind eggwars). Perhaps if skywars was less populair they would've cancelled skywars instead of survival games. Idk.
On tnt you can't make god apples, but it was flowers, i meant u can make 2 god apples. Should've been a (.) . If there was a nostalgia week every month, maybe I would be okay with it. But the last one was over half a year ago, so for me that's still a no.

Rebeka

May 18, 2020
Düsseldorf, Germany
www.planetminecraft.com
Hey Sweetenerera,

It may be understandable that it needs an update,
but i don't think so.
Since you can keep that map as history,
now you can see the builds of the zen or others maps but that's new.
But you can keep those other folders as history.

By that I mean,
you can see how this server started with these directories like,
jungle or trees. :oops:

Reactions: East and Fqnta

Shallidor

Dedicated Member
Feb 2, 2018
I agree that Trees looks really really bad compared to other maps. I can't think of any other Skywars map that's even remotely as basic and simple in terms of aesthetics as this map.

But I don't think a map should be reworked / removed solely based on bad looks. Most players care about gameplay way more than aesthetics and to be fair, trees has unique gameplay with the islands very close and the mid quite far, it's an excellent rush map. As long as people love it (though I really dislike it), I don't think there's much reason to change it. As already pointed out, it's only one map out of so many good-looking maps. It maybe creates a bad impression for new players, but there's enough other maps and even the lobby (the first thing they see) to make up for that.

Of course it would be nice to revamp the map and improve the aesthetics, but that's difficult without fundamentally changing the gameplay. Even simple changes such as custom trees will change the gameplay.

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
Trees is an excellent map gameplay wise. Mid being far away is irrelevant, this map is clearly for people who like to circle around the map and take out players. It is NOT hard to understand.
From an aesthetics point of view, it is fine. I don't see any major reason why all maps need to look like it took 50 days to build, design and detail. I doubt anyone cares if a map looks good or not.

To summarise, I think you are slightly confused. This game is based on pvp, not build quality. Perhaps singleplayer creative mode is something you should consider playing.

Levi_the_pro

Forum Expert
Nov 21, 2016
I like trees and I dont think it needs an update. I find the map trees very fun. I like rushing way more than going mid every time. I enjoy maps like sundae, rainbow and trees way more fun than maps like zen where people just go mid and loot chest and fight at mid. I like rushing other islands instead of going mid. I would like if you'd add a poll to your thread what people think if this map needs an update. instead of what you do saying this map needs an update I just skip maps I don't like.

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
Hey Sweetenerera,

It may be understandable that it needs an update,
but i don't think so.
Since you can keep that map as history,
now you can see the builds of the zen or others maps but that's new.
But you can keep those other folders as history.

By that I mean,
you can see how this server started with these directories like,
jungle or trees. :oops:
Jungle first also looked like trees, but they updated that map too. The only maps which are still in their 'original' state, are trees and temple.

Queen Ualala

May 4, 2020
I wish we had some more skywars maps which are like Hypixel’s gigantic maps. We have a few of those rn but not too many

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
I think you are slightly confused. This game is based on pvp, not build quality. Perhaps singleplayer creative mode is something you should consider playing.
Clearly, people disagree with my idea, I expected this already. I still think it should get an update but apparently the majority doesn't care. I was just going to leave it because I wasn't going to change anyone's mind but excuse me? Just excuse me? You do realize having a good looking map is important? It puts the server in a good light. The build team has shown again and again that they can build amazingly. They've shown what they're capable off again and again. They don't need to build massive lobbies, I mean, who's gonna explore that? Barely anyone will actually see it. But they do it nontheless because they can and it makes the server look good. Because ''Oh my God, look at this huge and beautiful lobby!''

But no changing Trees, because it's an OG map! Which is apparently more important then having a good looking one. If gameplay is that much more important, then why not let the build team throw out 50 Tree type maps? Just throw a sapling down, bone meal, and boom! You got another map. Then suddenly, you got plenty! Because quality isn't as important as gameplay? So why shouldn't they? I wonder why the build team keeps throwing out good looking maps when clearly the looks don't matter, as long as people can tryhard it.

Yes, gameplay is important. But how the map looks is important too. Zen is an example of a map who can do both. Good gameplay and looks. And the build team has proven that they can already make a Trees map with good gameplay.
SLI - Trees.jpeg
Trees looks lazy and is nowhere close to what the build team is capable off. It doesn't look like it belongs with maps like Zen, Mill, Birdhouse and pretty much any map.

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
Clearly, people disagree with my idea, I expected this already. I still think it should get an update but apparently the majority doesn't care. I was just going to leave it because I wasn't going to change anyone's mind but excuse me? Just excuse me? You do realize having a good looking map is important? It puts the server in a good light. The build team has shown again and again that they can build amazingly. They've shown what they're capable off again and again. They don't need to build massive lobbies, I mean, who's gonna explore that? Barely anyone will actually see it. But they do it nontheless because they can and it makes the server look good. Because ''Oh my God, look at this huge and beautiful lobby!''

But no changing Trees, because it's an OG map! Which is apparently more important then having a good looking one. If gameplay is that much more important, then why not let the build team throw out 50 Tree type maps? Just throw a sapling down, bone meal, and boom! You got another map. Then suddenly, you got plenty! Because quality isn't as important as gameplay? So why shouldn't they? I wonder why the build team keeps throwing out good looking maps when clearly the looks don't matter, as long as people can tryhard it.

Yes, gameplay is important. But how the map looks is important too. Zen is an example of a map who can do both. Good gameplay and looks. And the build team has proven that they can already make a Trees map with good gameplay.
Trees looks lazy and is nowhere close to what the build team is capable off. It doesn't look like it belongs with maps like Zen, Mill, Birdhouse and pretty much any map.
ALMOST EVERY OG MAP HAS ALREADY BEEN CHANGED. Jungle, desert, tnt. Biomes is just gone. Angelic is gone. The old beach, 2 times even. Almost every og map is gone or changed.
There are 2 left, let them be.

Reactions: ICactus and Sharz

𝖜𝓲𝓲ʞєŋɖ

Novice Member
Jan 16, 2020
Netherlands
ALMOST EVERY OG MAP HAS ALREADY BEEN CHANGED. Jungle, desert, tnt. Biomes is just gone. Angelic is gone. The old beach, 2 times even. Almost every og map is gone or changed.
There are 2 left, let them be.
And good gameplay is personal. Personaly I hate the gameplay on zen. The looks might be good, but for me gameplay is the most important.

Members Online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mr Jii Gamer wrote on Soulless_Unity's profile.
Thank you for everything soul
timinator582162 wrote on sussy_blocka's profile.
Player Rayhidst2014 was traveling about 3 times normal speed. also was floating and flying. This ruined a perfectly good four player bedwars game.
Today starts Giro d'Italia one of the biggest cycling races in the world and who do you think will win the general classification after 21 days of cycling?
BicolourSine41 wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy Birthday!! 🎉🎉 (Sorry that i am so late cause i was on vacation to Spain and did not take my pc)
Top Bottom