• Tottaly disagree!

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

IWontHurtYou

Dedicated Member
Dec 8, 2019
www.youtube.com
Hello Cubecrafters,

I know most of you will hate me afer this post but I will write it anyway.

I see many posts about Sentinel how bad anti-cheat it is and how it needs to be fixed.
Yes, maybe Sentinel bans players which are innocent and don't use hack, but we do not have to make a hunderd of posts against Sentinel.

Imagine Sentinel was never realeased or was stopped after your posts, then the only way to ban a hacker is to send a report to the staff team. But the staff team have their own lifes and can't watch the reports every minute, then the hackers would be much more than now. Sentinel bans hackers more than the innocent players, let's say the innocent people banned by Sentinel are 10% and the real hackers are 90%, that's very big difference.

It is great that there are still people which are trying to suggest improvments to the anti-cheat not only saying how it is a trash and can't do anything.

If you are banned by Sentinel it's just a mistake. For this mistakes cubecraft have made appeals.cubecraft.net, not only for mistakes by the anti-cheat it is for a staff mistakes too.
Please don't write a comments like ''You are making this because you want to get loved by the staff team'' and etc. I'm just getting annoyed from all these posts where people blame the anti-cheat.

Have a nice day everyone!
:cool:

S4nne

Sr. Moderator
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jun 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Pronouns
She/Her
I have the same thoughts about this. People keep complaining, I can understand why they do it, but it's not necessary to keep making these threads against sentinel. I mean, if people think they can improve Sentinel, go ahead and apply for developer. The staff team is probably aware that Sentinel isn't perfect, but not a single thing in the world is perfect. Making/improving an anti-cheat is not that easy.
And whenever a hacker doesn't get banned instantly, just report them and leave. In the end, it's just a game and there's no need to rage about the hackers, the anti-cheat or whatever. Leave and join another game, you're playing to have fun, not to get mad about these things.

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
Maastricht, the Netherlands
youtu.be
upload_2020-2-27_14-57-44.png

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
Ahh, supporting dictatorships, love it (jkjk)

On topic, no, people shouldn't stop complaining or giving critique. I think a lot of the critique on sentinel written in the past was well-deserved and justified. What I don't like is people re-using arguments over and over (beating dead horses), but new proof to back up these claims and arguments are always welcome in my eyes. They help direct developers to where the main problems of Sentinel lie, and ensure that it is made clear that Sentinel is far from done and should still be one of the main priorities to fix. "Just leave and join a new game" , no, what happens if you do that, but a hacker appears in your new game as well? Sentinel being as easily bypassable as it is is frustrating and reason to quit the server.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I find this thread more useless than those that point out sentinels flaws.

its_Marto03

Nov 13, 2017
Dog's Land
I am partly with you. but it seems a bit weird that cubecraft is a large network, has so many hackers, I'm not complaining about Sentinel, I just say that it makes no sense that such a large network has so many hackers. I used to think that if I played in cubecraft I didn't have to find more hackers, unfortunately, what I thought was true was a lie. I believe that Sentinel and the Staff team complement each other in the best possible way to make CubeCraft the place it deserves. Can we do more? You can always do more but people do what they can. I would also like to help the community by being a helper, but first I need to show that I really want to do it and really, I am willing to get it in order to help the server as much as possible. I am currently trying to complement the global ones with the reports. It's hard? I don't deny it, but I think that if you really want one thing, you have to go with everything to get it no matter how much it costs you. Everything can be improved no matter how much people complain about Sentinel, obviously, it makes sense but everything takes time, patiently time will be on our side to eliminate all hackers. but first we need to work together. If we only complain we will never get it. Greetings.

On topic, no, people shouldn't stop complaining or giving critique. I think a lot of the critique on sentinel written in the past was well-deserved and justified. What I don't like is people re-using arguments over and over (beating dead horses), but new proof to back up these claims and arguments are always welcome in my eyes. They help direct developers to where the main problems of Sentinel lie, and ensure that it is made clear that Sentinel is far from done and should still be one of the main priorities to fix. "Just leave and join a new game" , no, what happens if you do that, but a hacker appears in your new game as well? Sentinel being as easily bypassable as it is is frustrating and reason to quit the server.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I find this thread more useless than those that point out sentinels flaws.
And why don't you also have something? Report, record, do something, not only complain that doing so is useless, it only serves to break the community more and more. I am not saying that you break the community, only the people who always is criticizing Sentinel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vqzi

Aug 24, 2017

I completely agree with this. We as players know what needs to get improved, the Developers don't actually play on the server that much. They might know how to fix and improve things, but first they need to know what they need to fix/improve.

Reactions: IWontHurtYou

LordSidi0us

Forum Expert
Mar 1, 2019
Coruscant
Personally I don’t understand the people which complain about it all the time, because that doesn’t help in any way.
As well I don’t have any idea how some people think they are helping by hacking on the network and calling sentinel junk because they got banned after certain amount of time.
This type of criticism is uselessness I don’t support it either.
Good thread.

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015

Well the most annoying thing is members complaining while we are searching for a sentinel developers (you can also see that on jobs.cubecraft.net) so it’s basically pointless to discuss Sentinel right now, as we have no one actively and fulltime working on it. And very much agree about the dead horses. We understand it that staff bans trough sentinel blaablaaa a few weeks ago I really got angry at these hacker kids telling the same argument over and over again without any new evidence.

Reactions: ImJunior

LeCastel

Dedicated Member
Aug 23, 2016
The Shattered Plains
Meh. If you get unjustly banned you have a reason to complain. Especially considering some people have paid money to the server.

There obviously is a line that doesn't need to be crossed and neither does it have to be spammed, but a player should be able to go to the CUBECRAFT forums to talk about it.

King_Reno

Feb 21, 2020
Netherlands
Totally agreed man! Sentinel is very good for Cubecraft and it's community. The people who complain about it should just think twice before doing so :)

wink

Novice Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hong Kong SAR
Wow, this is a pretty controversial topic.

For me personally, I am not in favor of people hating on the auto-ban system. This is because NO SYSTEM IS PERFECT. Although some player might get unfairly banned due to maybe lag spikes or something, it isn't the end of the world, they can always appeal with evidence. Also, Sentinel might not be perfect, but it actually HAS HELPED with getting rid of a substantial amount of hackers around the PvP servers I've been on! Additionally, I believe Sentinel might be frustrating at times, but there's also always the option to use /report as a ranked player or record them with evidence and use the report website.

Overall, I understand their frustration, but please try to consider things from a neutral standpoint!​

wink

Novice Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hong Kong SAR
Lag spikes don’t get you banned

Sorry, I don't think you really understood what I meant. Lag spikes themselves don't get you banned that is correct, however, some of my friends have been banned by things that look like hacking caused by lag spikes. That's what I meant so there may have been some misunderstanding.

My apologies if I had poor wording!​

SlipAndSlideBby

Novice Member
Apr 19, 2018
The Netherlands
i understand you but if you get false banned by sentinel and you dont have any proof its sad for the player and if you appeal its getting mostly denied (No proof, no witness) litterly nothing and i know staff is buzy with other project so they haven't all the time to help. maybe special staffteam and checks all the sentinel reports correct and legit and all that kinda stuff

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia

I completely agree with this.

I’ve said it in the past on one of my own threads, everyone is in their right to complain about Sentinel wether the rest of people like it or not. It’s absurd to pretend like Sentinel is perfect, if it were the case these kind of threads wouldn’t be as abundant. Overall I find the complaint threads really useful and important, because regardless of some of them being offensive/baseless/not well structured. They still show a real problematic that needs to be addressed. These threads definitely function as an indicator of the player’s satisfaction regarding the anticheat, and may I point out, it’s doing much better than a few months ago. Although I understand why CubeCraft wouldn’t be very willing to write replies to threads that are just shouting at the server for the anti-cheat being “bad” it’s important that all of these threads receive a truthful answer. If you’re only complaining about the issue of Sentinel rants but aren’t proposing anything, then you might as well consider yourself part of the problem. If someone wakes up some day feeling like writing a Sentinel rant, they shouldn’t be getting criticized for doing it unless their approach is not the kindest. And regardless, all of them deserve a kind, elaborated and honest answer, ignoring of the way they directed themselves to the public reading the thread and their approach to the complain/suggestion if it wasn’t the most ideal.

I will be honest, I’m quite satisfied with the state in which communication between Staff and Community Members is at. Since not so long ago we had Zed give amazingly sincere answers to two very popular threads. Together with this, the staff team and helper requirements have seen an overhaul in the hopes of improving their relationship with the community. But it’s time for the community itself to adopt a mature position about the issue. Criticizing Sentinel Rants is getting us nowhere if we don’t provide answers to the people’s complaints. I know it can be hard to take seriously people who might potentially only be complaining because they got punished. But it’s also hard for me, to take seriously people who are just complaining because they’ve seen a few threads they didn’t agree with or just found dumb overall. About the truthful answers I’m referring to, it’s something like this:
Anticheat for us is hard, like really hard
I'm fairly sure you've heard the overview of why anticheat development for us is more difficult than other networks:
  • We support so many different versions: Sentinel runs across three networks: 1.8, 1.9+ and Bedrock. Each of these versions have their own set of behaviours and paramaters and their own "quirks". On 1.9 we are having to cross some fairly major mechanic switches especially with regards to swimming and flying as we support 1.9 through 1.15. This effectively triples how hard it is for us to get a really good anticheat across the network.
  • There are cheat developers out there who focus on CubeCraft, it's a continuing and tiring game of cat and mouse. Ultimately constantly patching up bypasses as we see them out in the wild means we aren't spending time on more complex and complete detections and a balance has to be made
Ultimately we need more people working on Sentinel but the skill level required to be effective and the length of time before a developer fully understands the Sentinel codebase means that this is a costly process and one which we can't justify without a more solid strategy for anticheat.
I wish there was an easier answer here but I'm afraid I don't have one. Sentinel is a continuing topic of discussion within the management and moderation teams. For those keen eyes on our staff list you'll notice we have a new main developer for Sentinel come onboard recently (Mats). They've got some pretty cool stuff in prototype and hopefully we'll see a lot of that rolling across the network over the coming months.

I feel I should come to Sentinel's defense somewhat - It does catch and block a lot of cheaters (thousands every week) but I share your frustration that seemingly obvious cheats are obvious on the server and we don't do enough to show it's successes.

To sum up, I hope my intervention doesn’t come up as a personal attack or similar, because it’s not. But I also wanted to make sure to give my opinion since it’s pretty much the opposite to what’s stated on this thread. So no, I don’t want to imagine if Sentinel was stopped for a few days because I complained. That’s like saying I’ll have my food thrown at me because I complained for it being cold.

Dubby Plays

Jul 13, 2019
Italy
youtu.be
@IWontHurtYou maybe on Java buuut...
On Bedrock an anti-cheat could not be enough useful to stop hackers. And considering how buggy is the server Bedrock at the moment, Sentinel could ban legit players while not stopping hackers from making new accounts each time they get banned (it's free on Bedrock).

So, I don't blame the people who are complaining about the Anti-Cheat on Bedrock. Try to understand their frustration, about saying bad things about Sentinel.

(My english is getting better...right? :D ok maybe not)

Jospop

Novice Member
Dec 12, 2019
Mexico,Mexico
Friend, not everything is perfect, but to tell the truth the AntiCheat is failing a little but it is also minimal, the AntiCheat has to continue and catch it / The Moderators are more active in 1.14.4 since there will be more users consent and it does not reach the day for 1.8 but don't worry it will resolve sooner or later

Top Bottom