Not open for further replies.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello, I'm making a suggestion about the rules.

I believe the rules aren't of great quality, there is a lot of unknowns within them that may cause community members to become confused and for staff members to either not punish someone for a rule break or punish someone unfairly.

The rules do not contain the necessary information to say what actually isn't allowed on the server and therefore staffs discretion is used a huge amount. I'd rather if punishments were given out on the basis of someone breaking a directly disallowed point in the rules, not just because they done something a staff member would consider "punishable" under their own opinion.

Thats why im suggesting a new system for the moderation team and it lies fully on the rules, how their worded, and how they are structured.

Here is an example of how i would structure the rules:
1639271723138.png

x = a general point on the rule
y = all disallowed behaviours under the rule, these are the only things that can be punished for under the rule.
z = additional information about the rule

Take for example the discord rule "Inappropriate language and media", i have reworded it here:
Inappropriate, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise questionable language and media aren't allowed on Discord. This includes insults (even masked ones), bullying, harassment, and hate speech messages. People of all ages use our Discord server, so please avoid this type of language. Sharing any type of sexual content (directly or indirectly) is considered a serious offense and is punishable with a permanent ban.
Inappropriate language includes swearing, bullying, harassment or inappropriate references. Inappropriate media includes media with swearing, bullying or inappropriate references. Hate speech is defined as abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group or person. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • Using language such as profanities, expletives, or language intended to belittle, offend, or upset other users or communities
  • Using abbreviations of swear words targeted at other players
  • Masking swear words
  • Extreme toxicity and bullying, extreme toxicity is defined as saying something toxic to another multiple(3+) times and is seen as bullying
  • Inappropriate words, references and language
  • Harassing players on the discord and in game
  • Sending inappropriate media
  • Sending any type of NSFW content
  • Any message sent with the purpose to insult someone based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender etc.
If you find harassment is affecting your real life too, please create a safety report here: https://www.cubecraft.net/forums/player-safety.124. Sending any type of NSFW content is punishable under a permanent ban. "
- added abbreviations targeted
- added masking swear words
- explained Cubecrafts meaning of bullying
- added player safety forum for harassment

This would, of course, only work if the rules page was actively updated, constantly. Whenever a point gets added, removed, or changed it should be altered. I have noticed that rule alterations take a long time, i'm not sure why. If this is because a developer has to do it, I really think it should be changed. Having the moderation manager trained in changing the page or make it different so you can actually easily and constantly change it would be much better.

This would be a helpful change as it would cause no confusion among punished players as a staff member can directly quote the point, and under what rule you've been punished. Rules are made for a reason, and the rules that are made must be followed, but they should always be on the rules, if they're not, why would you be punished for it? I don't see this as a problem, you shouldn't be punished if you are following the rules full stop, and so i suggest make them much more clear and add a lot more information to them.

More examples:
Any username or skin deemed inappropriate by the staff team will be banned from the server until the offending feature has been changed to a more appropriate one. As a general rule, any usernames or skins with sexual themes or depicting offensive figures are not allowed. Inappropriate capes are considered part of the skin and are therefore affected by this rule (Bedrock only).
Any username or skin deemed inappropriate by the Staff Team will be banned from Cubecraft until the inappropriate feature has been changed to a more appropriate one. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • A skin containing hate speech, swearing or an image of inappropriate things or people.
  • Inappropriate capes (bedrock only)
  • A name containing inappropriate words, references or hate speech.
Skin and name bans are at the discretion of the moderation team. On Bedrock, invisible skins are allowed as they should automatically change to a Cubecraft Marketplace skin when you join Cubecraft, semi invisible skins are also allowed. On Java, inappropriate third party cosmetics are allowed and are not moderated by Cubecraft.
- added what the idea of inappropriate was
- added information about invisible skins and third party cosmetics on java as i see this asked a lot on staff help
Advertising of other servers, social media accounts, or any other goods or services is not allowed. Advertisement of Youtube videos, channels or streams is allowed but will result in punishment if it is spammed or abused. Users with the YouTuber rank may advertise their channels and other social media accounts.
Advertising of other servers, social media accounts, or any other goods or services is not allowed. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • Advertising social media accounts like TikTok, Facebook or Twitter.
  • Advertising other servers; for example, asking someone to join you in another server, or advertising an SMP
  • Advertising goods and services is not allowed, this means that you are not allowed send a message with the purpose to influence one's purchases of anything
  • Advertising a Twitch stream or Youtube video/channel more than once every ten minutes
  • Advertising a discord server
If you would like to advertise your social media account on the server you can apply for partner here: https://partners.cubecraft.net/. If you would like to be able to advertise your discord server in game please apply for External Community organiser here:
- added what goods and services means in terms of advertising
- added what's considered spamming
- added advertising discord servers
- added partner information on advertising social media accounts
- added ECO information on advertising discord servers

Even if the rules need to be twice as long, i think the community deserve more information and for staff to only act on situations that actually break points within the rules

vote agree :agree: disagree :disagree: or unsure :unsure: below based on your opinion

DarkStray

Dedicated Member
Sep 17, 2019
United States
youtube.com

I believe the rules aren't of great quality, there is a lot of unknowns within them that may cause community members to become confused and for staff members to either not punish someone for a rule break or punish someone unfairly.

The rules do not contain the necessary information to say what actually isn't allowed on the server and therefore staffs discretion is used a huge amount. I'd rather if punishments were given out on the basis of someone breaking a directly disallowed point in the rules, not just because they done something a staff member would consider "punishable" under their own opinion.

Thats why im suggesting a new system for the moderation team and it lies fully on the rules, how their worded, and how they are structured.

View attachment 204662
y = all disallowed behaviours under the rule, these are the only things that can be punished for under the rule.

Take for example the discord rule "Inappropriate language and media", i have reworded it here:
Inappropriate, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise questionable language and media aren't allowed on Discord. This includes insults (even masked ones), bullying, harassment, and hate speech messages. People of all ages use our Discord server, so please avoid this type of language. Sharing any type of sexual content (directly or indirectly) is considered a serious offense and is punishable with a permanent ban.
Inappropriate language includes swearing, bullying, harassment or inappropriate references. Inappropriate media includes media with swearing, bullying or inappropriate references. Hate speech is defined as abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group or person. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • Using language such as profanities, expletives, or language intended to belittle, offend, or upset other users or communities
  • Masking swear words
  • Extreme toxicity and bullying, extreme toxicity is defined as saying something toxic to another multiple(3+) times and is seen as bullying
  • Any message sent with the purpose to insult someone based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender etc.
If you find harassment is affecting your real life too, please create a safety report here: https://www.cubecraft.net/forums/player-safety.124. Sending any type of NSFW content is punishable under a permanent ban. "

This would, of course, only work if the rules page was actively updated, constantly. Whenever a point gets added, removed, or changed it should be altered. I have noticed that rule alterations take a long time, i'm not sure why. If this is because a developer has to do it, I really think it should be changed. Having the moderation manager trained in changing the page or make it different so you can actually easily and constantly change it would be much better.

This would be a helpful change as it would cause no confusion among punished players as a staff member can directly quote the point, and under what rule you've been punished. Rules are made for a reason, and the rules that are made must be followed, but they should always be on the rules, if they're not, why would you be punished for it? I don't see this as a problem, you shouldn't be punished if you are following the rules full stop, and so i suggest make them much more clear and add a lot more information to them.

More examples:
Any username or skin deemed inappropriate by the staff team will be banned from the server until the offending feature has been changed to a more appropriate one. As a general rule, any usernames or skins with sexual themes or depicting offensive figures are not allowed. Inappropriate capes are considered part of the skin and are therefore affected by this rule (Bedrock only).
Any username or skin deemed inappropriate by the Staff Team will be banned from Cubecraft until the inappropriate feature has been changed to a more appropriate one. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • A skin containing hate speech, swearing or an image of inappropriate things or people.
Skin and name bans are at the discretion of the moderation team. On Bedrock, invisible skins are allowed as they should automatically change to a Cubecraft Marketplace skin when you join Cubecraft, semi invisible skins are also allowed. On Java, inappropriate third party cosmetics are allowed and are not moderated by Cubecraft.
- added information about invisible skins and third party cosmetics on java as i see this asked a lot on staff help
Advertising of other servers, social media accounts, or any other goods or services is not allowed. Advertisement of Youtube videos, channels or streams is allowed but will result in punishment if it is spammed or abused. Users with the YouTuber rank may advertise their channels and other social media accounts.
Advertising of other servers, social media accounts, or any other goods or services is not allowed. Disallowed conduct under this rule includes:
  • Advertising other servers; for example, asking someone to join you in another server, or advertising an SMP
  • Advertising goods and services is not allowed, this means that you are not allowed send a message with the purpose to influence one's purchases of anything
  • Advertising a Twitch stream or Youtube video/channel more than once every ten minutes
If you would like to advertise your social media account on the server you can apply for partner here: https://partners.cubecraft.net/. If you would like to be able to advertise your discord server in game please apply for External Community organiser here:

Even if the rules need to be twice as long, i think the community deserve more information and for staff to only act on situations that actually break points within the rules

vote agree :agree: disagree :disagree: or unsure :unsure: below based on your opinion
Agreed, under the rules I got falsely warned for "spam"(Which still isn't even spam for what I did but CuBEcRaFt)

But yea, even contacted an admin and prove them wrong and they just ignored me.

I EVEN SUGGESTED how to fix the rules in their favor and they said nothing

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
I 100% agree. It'll clear out a lot of confusion and hopefully will indeed lower the usage of staff's own discretion, as it just doesn't feel right when one staff member tells you something is allowed and then you get punished by another one "because of their own discretion" for the same thing the first staff member agreed isn't punishable.

Frontlane

the person below me is cute
Team CubeCraft
🙌 Helper
Jul 20, 2017
Belgium
Pronouns
He/Him
I agree as well. The fact that every day there are a lot of questions about rules or whether something is reportable in #staff-help proves that some rules are not clear enough. This number of questions could be reduced by elaborating on certain rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matriox and Critly

MohamedAZo69

May 9, 2021
egypt
t

View attachment 204662

• Masking swear words

More examples:

I fell into this trap (the rules)

Reactions: BurntCrown8876

Amazinq

Forum Expert
Jul 12, 2021
Spain
Pronouns
He/Him
I totally agree, there are things that are at the discretion of the staff and things that are not clear in the rules.
The rules should be more clear to make players to know what things are allowed and what not.
Also, it would facilitate work for the staff

Capitan

Moderation Manager
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
Oct 13, 2016
Argentina
twitter.com
Hello.
I appreciate your suggestion, but I won't make the rules even longer than they already are.
I am very worried about the length of the rules, as I think they are already too long. It is impossible to add all possible situations that can occur on the server. The rules give a general context, and you can't go into specifics for each one. The ones that give specific examples, it is because the community and moderators have required it, but this cannot happen with all rules. We would end up with a 50 page document to play on a Minecraft server. That doesn't make sense.
Lastly, the staff needs to have some proactivity and consider things that are "new" or "never happened" within a rule, and forcing the mod team to follow our rules without any exception will be a mistake.

If you have questions about a rule or situation, you can always start a conversation with a member of moderation, or ask in staff-help.
If someone has been punished incorrectly, that user can create a thread in the Staff Feedback subforum and I will look into the situation personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on wTBone's profile.
Happy Birthday! ^-^
JokeKaedee wrote on B0tervlieg's profile.
Happy birthday!!! 🎈
JokeKaedee wrote on wTBone's profile.
Happy birthday c:
Basketman wrote on B0tervlieg's profile.
Happy birthday 🎉
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on B0tervlieg's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
Top Bottom