Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I would like to make a suggestion about an app for CCG! I posted this in 'Everything else' because it's not really a server thing.

So i came to the idea to have an app for CCG, with forums and all the purchase options in there. I don't know if there are app/web devs in CCG.

I'm currently doing a study for web/app development (i'm in my first year, going to the second and so i'm still a noob).

Why make this suggestion?

I wanted to make this suggestion to make it easier for players:
- Make purchases in an app to make purchases safer and easier to access.
- For the forums, using more emoji's to express feelings.
- Get notifications from players you follow and get notifications if there are new updates in the server.
- Event option, that allows you to see if there are events and you can join if you apply for the event (for limited player events for example).
- Home screen with all the latest news about CCG.
- All the things that are currently on the website, should be in the app too.
- Both IOS and Android should be able to get this app.

I know CCG is probably not focused on an app and this idea will not be used. But i still thought it would be a nice idea, i know many people think; "oh why would you choose for an app if you have a working website?" I don't know, just thought it would be cool ;)

Reactions: Dutudy

Dutudy

Forum Veteran
Dec 22, 2016
Sweden ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
reports.cubecraft.net
You make a suggestion and posting it in everything else?
But sure, I'd love to have a CCG app because that feels different, I think there are not many servers that having an own app.
@Riley Made a cool design about how it would look.
Maybe you could post your design here? Riley?

Reactions: Priley

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
The site is already mobile friendly, which they did on purpose so an app would be useless and a waste of time.

Get notifications from players you follow and get notifications if there are new updates in the server.
There are already email notifications

Home screen with all the latest news about CCG.
That’s already existing when you press home??

Reactions: remio

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
The site is already mobile friendly, which they did on purpose so an app would be useless and a waste of time.

There are already email notifications

That’s already existing when you press home??
Hmm yeah i get you, but i wasn't talking about email notifications. I was talking about actual notifications that pop ups in your screen.

Also, websites aren't really friendly to purchase stuff on, people can easily make an SQL attack and get stuff out of the database. It's very easy to make a code that does the job, so that's why an app could be safer. I'm not sure how CCG made this website, with a CMS like WordPress or something else but it's probably okay. And yes it's mobile focused too, but not completely.

Starry

Forum Expert
Oct 24, 2016
Belgium
The idea sounds great, it would be handy if you're on a holiday or not home to use this.

mitgobla

Marketplace Coordinator
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Dec 11, 2018
Wales, United Kingdom
ben-dodd.com
Pronouns
He/Him
people can easily make an SQL attack and get stuff out of the database

That's not how the store works. If the store had a SQL vulnerability, it would be taken immediately offline. An app would not stop people from attempting to access a database vulnerability.

It's very easy to make a code that does the job, so that's why an app could be safer.

That's also not true, making an app is much more expensive and difficult than creating a mobile responsive website.

IMO, the website is extremely mobile friendly on my device; a few tweaks could be done but overall it's one of the best and fastest responsive forums I've used.

Reactions: remio and DrHam

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
That's not how the store works. If the store had a SQL vulnerability, it would be taken immediately offline. An app would not stop people from attempting to access a database vulnerability.

That's also not true, making an app is much more expensive and difficult than creating a mobile responsive website.

IMO, the website is extremely mobile friendly on my device; a few tweaks could be done but overall it's one of the best and fastest responsive forums I've used.
Ah yes, i understand. Thanks for the info! I just asked my boyfriend about it (he's a fullstack webdev and knows about attacks, rats etc.) and he said i wasn't right about what i said. But.. an app is not expensive. You could make one with Android Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio. It takes some time, yes, but you will be proud of the results. You can build IOS and Android apps with Xamarin (so you don't need MacOS) in Microsoft Visual Studio i thought, haven't tried it myself yet but i will in my next school year.

You are right about the store though. If it had vulnerabilities in it, they would have taken it down already :)

mitgobla

Marketplace Coordinator
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Dec 11, 2018
Wales, United Kingdom
ben-dodd.com
Pronouns
He/Him
But.. an app is not expensive. You could make one with Android Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio
When you consider that this is a business and not a personal app, you have to hire developers who are experienced in app development for different platforms, and pay their wages with many hours of work. Furthermore you need designers to create the content that the app uses (not as simple as copy paste from the website styling) which adds further costs. Then you have to consider the costs of developing an API with the website, which requires developers in that field.
It is not cheap nor easy. Making an app that is worth the money for the company is even harder.

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
When you consider that this is a business and not a personal app, you have to hire developers who are experienced in app development for different platforms, and pay their wages with many hours of work. Furthermore you need designers to create the content that the app uses (not as simple as copy paste from the website styling) which adds further costs. Then you have to consider the costs of developing an API with the website, which requires developers in that field.
It is not cheap nor easy. Making an app that is worth the money for the company is even harder.
I already said, i don't know if there are app devs in CCG. But yeah that's basically what's going to happen. I know how much developers are being paid and that's alot, oof. But it depends on how long the developers will spend on it. A person like me, i can't make this within a month because i'm not experienced, i only do website design for now. In that way, it can be expensive yes. It also depends on how much CCG wants an app and if they can make something good out of it (i mean like how much money they can take out of it, it would be great if they did though!).

mitgobla

Marketplace Coordinator
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Dec 11, 2018
Wales, United Kingdom
ben-dodd.com
Pronouns
He/Him
how much money they can take out of it, it would be great if they did though!
That's the unfortunate part to this all, because with a free to access website, with free access to the responsive layout on mobile, I don't see much potential in creating an app. However, management might disagree.

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
That's the unfortunate part to this all, because with a free to access website, with free access to the responsive layout on mobile, I don't see much potential in creating an app. However, management might disagree.
Yes, they might just stick with the website. It's the cheapest option, i agree!

Odieuse

May 14, 2016
Delft
it would be nice to have a cubecraft games app. everyting will go easyer if someting posed someting you can get a notification from it
it is also going to take a long time to create and it is not really necessary cubecraft already have a forum only for the notification would it be nice

Shyry

Novice Member
Jan 15, 2017
At My Desk
www.cubecraft.net
Tbh, I don’t really see this being needed, the web version is already good enough. Although it would be an interesting idea

I agree, despite the fact it would be a nice, original idea for the network I think it would cost to much to create, with app devs, and designers, etc. and wouldn't end up making much of a profit for CCG. Obviously that wouldn't be the main focus of it but it would need to be looked at from a business perspective as well. I personally think the website is good enough and operates well, but like I said I really like the idea but don't think it is necessary. <3

Reactions: Komodо

Max ♠

Forum Expert
Feb 20, 2016
North pole
people can easily make an SQL attack and get stuff out of the database. It's very easy to make a code that does the job, so that's why an app could be safer.
After reading this I can safely say that the quote below is in fact true
i'm still a noob
(explanation of the kind of attacks you're talking about below, I'm assuming you know basic SQL, used PHP bc its the only language thats supported by the code blocks on here)

The way these attacks used to work in the past is called SQL injection, it can happen when you need to query your database based on user input.

PHP:
$sql = 'SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = `' . $username . '`';

Now imagine if a user, instead of filling in a valid username, entered this as a username: `; drop table Users;--

PHP:
$username = '`; drop table Users;--';
$sql = 'SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = `' . $username . '`';

// SQL = SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = ``; drop table Users;--`
This query gets fired at the database, first it runs the select, has no results, no problems yet, after that, 'drop table Users', congrats you just lost all your user data.

In the good ol' days this used to be an actual problems, usually solved by escaping quotes in the user input. This wasnt perfect however. (Note: this specific case can be prevented by just not giving the user used to retrieve data permissions to delete tables etc)

Nowadays there's prepared statements. Nearly every relevant language supports them natively, they work completely different from the example above.

(Forgot the exact PHP implementations, dont really feel like looking it up bc its not that important)
PHP:
$userInput = ['username'];

$sql = 'SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = ?'

$result = preparedStatement($sql, $userInput)
This way, the query and the user input get send to the database seperately, the query and the user input NEVER touch each other, therefore, SQL injection isn't possible.

I don't know if you've ever heard of bobby drop tables, but here ya go, might clear it up
upload_2019-7-16_23-27-36.png

Apart from these kind of attacks not really being a problem anymore, it wouldnt matter whether it was a mobile app or a website, the user input goes (in most cases) through the same backend & through the same database. Its just a little more difficult to get developer tools on mobile, which, (in most cases) aren't required to perform these attacks anyway.

i'm still a noob
Congrats, you're a little les noob now

Reactions: Story

Shayley

Novice Member
Jul 13, 2017
The Netherlands
After reading this I can safely say that the quote below is in fact true

(explanation of the kind of attacks you're talking about below, I'm assuming you know basic SQL, used PHP bc its the only language thats supported by the code blocks on here)

The way these attacks used to work in the past is called SQL injection, it can happen when you need to query your database based on user input.

PHP:

Now imagine if a user, instead of filling in a valid username, entered this as a username: `; drop table Users;--

PHP:
$username = '`; drop table Users;--';

// SQL = SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = ``; drop table Users;--`
This query gets fired at the database, first it runs the select, has no results, no problems yet, after that, 'drop table Users', congrats you just lost all your user data.

In the good ol' days this used to be an actual problems, usually solved by escaping quotes in the user input. This wasnt perfect however. (Note: this specific case can be prevented by just not giving the user used to retrieve data permissions to delete tables etc)

Nowadays there's prepared statements. Nearly every relevant language supports them natively, they work completely different from the example above.

(Forgot the exact PHP implementations, dont really feel like looking it up bc its not that important)
PHP:
$userInput = ['username'];

$sql = 'SELECT username, password_hash, salt FROM Users WHERE Users.username = ?'

$result = preparedStatement($sql, $userInput)
This way, the query and the user input get send to the database seperately, the query and the user input NEVER touch each other, therefore, SQL injection isn't possible.

I don't know if you've ever heard of bobby drop tables, but here ya go, might clear it up
View attachment 154306

Apart from these kind of attacks not really being a problem anymore, it wouldnt matter whether it was a mobile app or a website, the user input goes (in most cases) through the same backend & through the same database. Its just a little more difficult to get developer tools on mobile, which, (in most cases) aren't required to perform these attacks anyway.

Congrats, you're a little les noob now
I know how SQL and PHP works lol ;) I already said it was wrong for me to say about SQL attacks and stuff. I personally don't like backend, but i know how it works though. I recently had a test about SQL, which i failed pretty hard because of missing information in the test. But anyway, like i already said, i'm not a fan of PHP because i keep messing up stuff (DON'T TOUCH CODE IF IT WORKS:eek:) haha.

Last edited:
Members Online

Latest profile posts

qKhalidd wrote on ignsinf's profile.
Hi
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on ii6xxq's profile.
welcome to the forums! I hope you will have a nice stay here:D
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #41-
The moon has moonquakes, which are kind of like the earthquakes on the Earth, but weaker.
Basketman wrote on Eli's profile.
Favourite how to tame a dragon movie, shoot.
Reesle wrote on ii6xxq's profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums!! Hope you enjoy your stay :)
Top Bottom