Want mutations in TD?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Want a challenge in your TD game? Then this is for you!

Background/What are mutations?
These challenges are best paired with co-op, a PvE environment. TheGrimCreeper suggested co-op TD here: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/bring-back-co-op-mode-for-tower-defence.177657/

Short answer: A mutation is a match that contains mutators. Mutators are special conditions that bring diversity and additional challenges to the match.

Long answer: Mutations add an extra challenge to the game such as buffing enemy mobs, spawning additional mobs, or impairing your towers and you. Mutators vary widely. Players can play the challenge (up to 3 mutators per challenge every week) and claim a weekly bounty for beating it. The weekly reward can be claimed only 1 time per week and is 4 times as much as the normal reward. Normal reward is still given as usual.

Suppose the game gives 100XP and 25 coins. The weekly bounty therefore gives 400XP and 100 coins. Total reward is the normal reward and the weekly reward together but only on the first win. Subsequent wins do not give the weekly reward. This means that a player who wins the first time receives 500XP and 125 coins but if he wins the mutation a second time, then he gets the regular reward only.

List of mutators (some can be created. List below is based on what I found in SC2. More can be added, examples below)
-Walking dead: Enemy mobs spawn zombies when they die. Spawned zombies do not spawn additional mobs.
-Spider incubation: Enemy mobs spawn spiderlings (small, faster spiders) when they die. Spawned spiderlings do not spawn additional mobs.
-Slim pickings: Your gold mine produces only 20% of its usual rate, but mobs give 20% more gold.
-Invisibility*: All enemy mobs are permanently invisible.
-Polarity: Mobs are immune to half of your team. For example, a wave has 12 mobs against a 6 man team. 6 of them are immune to 3 teammates but vulnerable to the other 3.
-Speed freaks: All enemy mobs move 3x faster (at least 4 blocks per second for all mobs).
-Shortsighted: Your towers have reduced range and player vision is reduced.
-Evolution: Enemy mobs have a chance to transform into tougher mobs the longer they're alive. Transformation from, say a zombie to a wither, is gradual.
-Mutually assured destruction: On death, giants and withers detonate a nuke (15 block radius), destroying any towers caught in the blast. Enemy mobs are not affected by the nuke.
-Darkness: Players receive blindness and also do not receive notifications such as armageddon warning. No sound effect plays when new attack waves spawn.
-Avenger: Mobs gain increased move speed, HP, and regen when nearby mobs die. If default regeneration is 0 HP/sec, then mobs regen, say +5HP/sec, per buff. Buff stacks up to 10 times.
-Deployment: Additional enemy mobs periodically spawn on the track.
-Side effects: On death, enemy mobs release a speed or regen AoE.
-Just die: Enemy mobs revive on the first death. Second death kills the mob as usual.
-Tacos teaches typing: Enemy mobs are invulnerable to damage until their REAL name (name shown on nametag) is typed exactly as is (case-sensitive).
-Sharing is caring: Gold and XP are shared across your entire team. Gold mine yields are also shared. Gold mine yield is as follows: highest gold rate/# of teammates. For example, if a teammate has a gold mine making 25/sec and I have 5 teammates, then everyone gets 5 gold/sec. Additionally, each team starts with 500 gold instead of 500 gold per person.
-Mob hunting: A new resource is added: food. Mobs give 1 food on death. Towers now require food to be built in addition to gold. All towers and players consume food. If the team exceeds the food limit, towers will be destroyed 1 by 1 every 10 seconds. Consumption rate increases the more towers are placed on the field. By default, each team has up to 5 maximum food at the start and the limit gradually decays.

As an example, suppose a team has 0/5 food (no towers placed) and a tower costs 1 food. A team places that tower down, making the food count at 1/5. After a while, the limit decays to 4 (now 1/4). They kill 2 mobs, bringing their limit to 6 (now 1/6). Fast forward and now the team has 1/0 food. Since they exceed the limit, the tower will be destroyed after 10 seconds if they do not get at least 1/1 or a higher food count.

-Outbreak: Zombies periodically spawn on the track.
-Fear: Your towers may stop attacking for a few seconds when mobs come in range.
-Barrier: Enemy mobs have a temporary shield upon the first time they take damage.
-Micro transactions: All actions you or your towers do such as building towers or even moving cost gold and XP (if applicable) based on their cost. Moving costs 1 gold/sec and building/upgrading towers comes with a fee (10% of the tower/upgrade). For example, a tower costs 500 gold. It costs 50 gold as a fee (fee is subtracted first) and 500 gold to place it down. Each shot costs gold based on the tower's cost.
-Frozen towers: Your towers are periodically locked in a shell. To break the shell, players must attack it.
-Sabotage: Your towers have timed life. After X amount of time, they are destroyed. Selling towers does not refund money.
-Beacon: Enemy beacons periodically spawn on your tower spots, buffing enemy mobs with a positive potion effect. To remove them, they have to be destroyed manually.

Achievements
Progression achievements:
-Win 5/10/100/500/1000 mutations.
-Earn 5/10/50/100 weekly bounties.

*The biggest problem I can see here is not having detection. A new tower can decloak mobs by giving them the spectral effect or the mage tower can grant detection to nearby towers.

What do you think of these?

Last edited:
Reactions: Earth

DarkEndDivinity

Jul 30, 2016
Sounds like a good idea, I kind of gave up reading it half way as it was too long. As I mentioned in the other post, I've never played co-op, so I don't really understand how this would work, but it's obvious that you've given at least a bit of thought towards this subject. Good luck with this.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
I thought about it since I play a lot of SC2 co-op and its weekly mutations.

I know TD co-op back then was defend against the AI. If a new one were to come out where we attack and defend as we currently do in PvP TD, then more mutators could come out.

It certainly is possible considering most programming languages are similar (except for syntax). Just how to make it look smooth in MC is the concern.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Eli wrote on ArslanShakirov's profile.
Hey, thanks for the follow!!
BurgerCat13 wrote on Xi1m's profile.
Thanks for the follow🧡🧡
Basketman wrote on Mr Jii Gamer's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎈
Eli wrote on Foxy011's profile.
Happy Birthday!!
Eli wrote on Mr Jii Gamer's profile.
Happy Birthday!!!!!
Top Bottom