Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
So this was one of the biggest map updates for SkyWars we've ever done. Due to a lot of the old maps being removed/changed, we know some of the changes could be difficult for nostalgic players since you grow attached to classic maps. I want to go into extreme detail why we made certain changes to maps, and what certain decisions were based from. We worked along side a group of staff that all played SkyWars extensively and had been on the leaderboards at one point, for feedback, including starting threads on the forums asking for feedback and scouring through any complaints about particular maps on forums/twitter.

SkyWars has needed an update for quite some time. It got to the point where so many community maps had been accepted through map submissions, which was out of my control at the time. As a result we had over 40 maps, this isn't always a good thing having lots of maps, as it is harder for your favourite maps to appear. I want every map to be different by using layouts and interesting level design. Not 20 maps that have a circle layout and are just different themes, which is why I am so excited for this SkyWars update, since we have made such big changes to maps. With the addition of map specific items, this is such a fun tool for builders, who can now come up with creative items they want in the maps.

Using images of a birds eye view and land views, I want to try and illustrate my descriptions and points.

How maps have been changed

End - 1.9 only
- Layout: The typical circle has been changed to a more chaotic layout, this is to reflect the use of chorus fruit which will randomly teleport you. A very exciting new game mechanic. The layout is similar to bones which is a fairly popular map. The biome has been updated to an End biome.
- Starter islands: The problem with the original map was the lack of space to PvP. The island had been increased in size and made flatter. The tower has had additional detail of the 1.9 blocks however still keeps the similar aspect of obsidian tower. The terraforming underneath the island has been altered to look a lot better and more colourful.
- Middle: We've updated middle so it isn't as dull and boring and just a tower to an egg, to resemble the dragons egg which is full of chests. A more creative way to hide chests.
- Summary: The new map now has new gameplay features, a more chaotic layout and has become more colourful.

ijWrm3H.jpg

TzeeHHe.jpg

Candy
-
Layout:
The typical circle has been transformed into a completely different layout not like anything we've had before. Numerous islands which you can bridge to within 6/7 blocks. The past layout was unfair as not all the islands had an equal distance away from each other, that has been fixed. The middle is now much closer and achievable to get to. We want to encourage lots of close combat.
-
Starter Islands: The islands have been kept roughly the same. All the chests have now been moved above ground as some islands previously had 1 chest down the ladder and 1 on top of island. The pink tree has been updated to a colourful lollipop however still keeps logs so players can bridge across easy and craft. Due to the candy canes being a nice gameplay feature we've kept them so players can parkour.
-
Middle: Just for the nostalgic players we've kept the exact middle but just moved it lower so players can't camp as easily, and added two tiers of cake below it, for a nice PvP area including levels. The middle contains a very cool trap and a secret room, and plenty of cake for all your hunger needs.
-
Summary: It feels what candy is meant to be, more colourful and creative. With a brand new trap and close combat. The layout is now fair for everyone and middle is achievable, considering this was my first SkyWars map I ever made all that time ago, this updated version feels a lot better.

RR4Mfbj.jpg

dvaBvRu.jpg

Mushroom
-
Layout:
The typical circle has been transformed into another unusual layout. This particular layout combines height and angles to make more exciting gameplay than people camping on their starter island. The in-between islands vary a lot more in size, some with more space to PvP than others, and really encourages the use of parkour. It is also fair for all players now, since no island is further than their opponent. The number of players has been cut down from 16 to 12 to make this layout work.
-
Starter Islands: The mushrooms have been updated to look more realistic, however still retain similar gameplay, just being slightly bigger and minor fixes of trapdoors.
-
Middle: Previous middle was extremely far away, and barely anybody would achieve getting to it and would set off the trap. This middle has a much more surprising trap and will take experience to beat it. It has also been updated to a giant mushroom house which is a lot more fitting to the theme than a drooping tree.
-
Summary: The revamp encourages a lot more close combat and reduced that need to camp to stay safe. The aspect of parkour is what makes this map so rushy and exciting. 12 player maps seem to be very popular and we hope this map will be too.

X2sanwV.jpg

mcKvt82.jpg

Nether
- Layout: Due to so many of the old maps using the original circle layout, we decided to keep this one but still do something to make it different, by introducing the aspect of parkouring to the middle. With great risk comes great reward (Much cringe). The biggest change with the layout is that the middle is actually in the middle (facepalm).
-
Starter Islands: The islands are relatively the same other than the terraforming has been made to be more creative by adding a dangerous looking spike.
-
Middle: The previous middle had a danger of lava and being shot into it, with a bigger middle this was quite hard to replicate. However once you have parkoured down you will be right near lava, this is the enemies chance to shoot at you. This middle still may change depending if players camp on top skulls which has been an issue for a few SkyWars maps. However it looks a lot more hellish, and the skulls are full of wooden logs for players to get blocks once they have parkoured down.
-
Summary: The layout is definitely something that separates it from the other maps using a possible rush tactic to get to middle, and the towering skulls make it look awesome!

Pq6mKEk.jpg

GyTgPUj.jpg

Taiga
-
Layout:
As you can see in the picture the old layout was unfair to certain islands, as the mid islands were closer to others. This new layout makes 2 islands have equal distance to the in between island, on every side. Due to the islands being so small, we wanted to make them bigger so their was a larger PvP space.
-
Starter Islands: The problem with previous islands, was the amount of stuff on it, blocks that prevented clean PvP like double grass, and sugar canes. The starting islands have now been made flatter and have a lot less stuff in the way. The trees are no longer bone mealed and look so much nicer.
-
Middle: The previous middle wasn't too bad, but it just lacked a lot of gameplay aspects other than fighting indoors. The new middle has quite a few secret rooms that have unusual traps to prevent you from going in them. For example hidden behind cobble/stone brick are monster egg blocks. Just a fun aspect we wanted to add to hear peoples reactions.
-
Summary: Another unique layout which is now balanced for all players, less detailed and more gameplay friendly.

8yOD5gG.jpg

Ad33rCR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
Music
- Layout: We've kept the layout fairly the same. The most major changes are balancing issues. Having seen the image, the corner islands previously were closer together, now they are all within equal distance.
- Starter islands: The horrible terraforming has been updated to a wooden jukebox look. This has also added another level of combat as you can parkour to the corners. Every island now has the same number of chests.
- Middle: No changes
- Summary: The revamp has little changes but makes the map more balanced.

tOugYGz.jpg

XEdGhan.jpg

Desert

- Layout: No changes
- Starter islands: The biggest problem with the previous islands was the wood that you had to dig through to get your chest, which was only on some islands. That has been fixed. The islands have also been made more PvP friendly, and we've added more cacti so players can use this as a trap or in another tactical way.
- Middle: The outdated middle has been converted into a desert temple. We have kept the same trap which is used in vanilla desert temples.
- Summary: The revamp has little changes but makes the map more balanced.

voG5V0D.jpg

9rrUOL2.jpg

Sport
- Layout: This has undergone some major changes. This map often took so long to fill up due to the amount of players making the game drag out near the end. Because of this, we have now shrunk it down to a 16 player map. The balls at the bottom of the island all face each other, so it is much more balanced and fair. The addition of in between islands adds a nice flat playing field which will encourage players to bridge to mid.
- Starter islands: No changes
- Middle: Chests have been moved around, and we've added a cave into the island, including a trap inside which is very difficult to escape.
- Summary: The layout makes the map a lot more balanced and will stop the prolonged games.

9se7NlX.jpg

KruHR2x.jpg

Rainbow
- Layout: Due to a lot of feedback from players wanting century back, we decided to compromise and just make middle easier to get to by adding the old century islands/middle back. Just to make it more chaotic.
- Starter islands: No changes

- Middle: The middle from century has been added but with one important change. We added the most obvious trap ever, kind of embraced the ugly of this map.
- Summary: We've only made small changes, but due to this being such a popular map we didn't want to make too many drastic changes.

hB4Xz9o.jpg

t4v0t84.jpg

Western (Team)
- Layout: Due to feedback from players complaining about the spacing, we added inner islands to resolve this.
- Starter islands: The basic vanilla cacti has been updated to nice organic cacti.
- Middle: No changes
- Summary: We've made major changes to the layout to improve the all around gameplay.

U75ypxr.jpg

r7YCW4t.jpg

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
Rainbow (Team)
- Layout
: Due to feedback from players complaining about the middle spacing, we added inner rings which make it look a lot more like a rainbow (using the exact same colours as a rainbow does in the same order). As well as cutting down on the amount of teams for a quicker game.
- Starter islands: The trees have been updated and chests have been reshuffled for a more balanced game.
- Middle: Gold ore has been changed to yellow stained clay for an improved look.
- Summary: We've made major changes to the layout to improve the all around gameplay.

fS5hhRY.jpg

mm7qiKZ.jpg

Why certain maps were removed

One of the major reasons a lot of maps were removed was due to the sheer amount we had. A lot of your favourite maps would not show up as often due to this. Based on feedback from these threads, the build teams opinion and a select few of experienced SkyWars obsessed staff members, we removed certain maps. I will also explain why we didn't update some of the other older maps, like Trees and Temple. Some of the maps that were removed, were okay maps, but we want to have the best maps, so I didn't see the point of keeping something that you know wasn't too popular and could be done so much better.

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/eggwars-maps-give-us-feedback.132419/
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/what-skywars-maps-should-we-remove.63627/

Galaxy (Solo)
- This is a map which has been hated a lot by players due to the major advantages other players have depending where you spawn
- 1.9 changed the way glass panes work, making it even harder to parkour
- Glass panes can be laggy to players with rubbish computers
- No PvP space
- It was a night map

Snakes (Solo)
- Due to the starting islands being so tall, it was generally slow if you fell to the bottom of the map
- The playing surface is also very difficult to play on
- The middle was too unforgiving due to the hole that players always fell in
- Players camped too much
- Unpopular map

Biomes (Solo)
- Map was too big and rarely filled up
- It was not up to build teams standard of quality
- The games lasted too long

Ice (Solo)
- Due to us having so many maps, had to make a choice between keeping an alright map. Since Snowy got revamped I didn't feel like this was worth keeping
- Ice is a difficult playing surface to PvP on
- The inner islands of ice were very difficult to parkour across and players always got trapped
- The towers were too bulky and took too much playing surface up

Gravity (Solo)
- Middle was very ugly
- The starting islands had a very poor playing surface
- Unpopular map

Pirates (Solo)
- The starting islands were unfair and unbalanced, some players had much bigger advantages than others
- The layout favoured some islands over others

Atlantis (Solo)
- Another alright map, just didn't feel it was good enough to keep, it wasn't a map that stood out due to having the same boring layout

Mines (Solo)
- Due to feedback received
- Too much stone used made it look a bit ugly, not enough space to PvP
- Unpopular map

Magic (Solo)
- Too big, games were often prolonged due to campers
- Over detailed for SkyWars
- Unpopular map

Pokemon (Solo)
- Unbalanced with amount of chests on certain islands
- Layout was poor, middle almost unachievable. The spacing between certain pokeballs were further than others.
- Players often camped
- Pixel art
(This map may be revamped due to the hype around Pokemon right now)

Diet (Team)
- Where to begin... no no no for a map. Unbalanced, terrible layout and camping paradise.
- Each island was unique which gave other player huge advantages
- Spacing between islands was too far
- Unpopular map

Modern (Team)
- Islands spacing was too huge
- Rarely filled up
- Ice melting was a constant issue
- Games lasted too long due to camping

Tetris (Team)
- Some islands had more resources than others which made it unbalanced
- Islands spacing was too huge
- The layout meant middle was very far away and often camped due to its height

Elements (Team)
- Although this was a favourite of mine, it had to be removed due to the balancing issues
- Some islands had a better resource than others, such as more wood, more lava, more water, ores in a better place than others
- Rarely filled up

Ocean (Team)
- Lack of chests
- Poor PvP space
- Too big which meant prolonged games

DNA (Team)
- The middle was always camped with someone pouring lava around it
- The playing surface wasn't very PvP friendly

General changes

Lobby
- The layout has been changed for practical use. Players now have to walk less to get to the boards.
- Added a huge Spanish YouTuber armour stand stabbing Mac in the face, much honour, very wow
- The info board was updated

Solo
- Stars changed from night to day, since players often don't like night maps (This map may still change drastically and be made smaller or removed in future updates)

Team
- Changed Savanna into a Savanna biome
- Changed the ships wood into stained clay
- Pacman has all the chests/furnaces facing the right way
- Prison had lapis blocks added, and removed all tall grass for better PvP
- Mario had minor fixes, blocks removed that wasn't supposed to be there
- Oasis had all it's tall grass removed for better PvP

Why we didn't update/revamp other maps

Temple (Solo)
This is a classic map, although it is ugly, the gameplay is awesome and it is too popular to change anything drastically
Trees (Solo)
The first map ever made for SkyWars, it has great spacing, and general gameplay is good and voted one of the best maps
Tron (Solo)
The middle layout is like nothing we have, the starter islands may be improved in the future but the core gameplay is very different to other maps
Paris (Solo)
I don't actually know why this map is popular other than being able to set up traps and most of the fighting being done inside, however it is classic and a popular map.
Castle (Solo)
A fairly popular map and the use of traps is very important

A lot of team maps were left untouched, as not many of them were map submissions so there wasn't too much to change. However, in a future update, we will be adding more team maps with their own unique custom items.

Summary

I hope that explains pretty much all the changes, some of you will agree and disagree with the changes, but that's how most updates go. Players have different tastes. We now have a lot more freedom to release more SkyWars maps and can make them even better than before. This changelog will most likely be a one-off, as the changes were so huge and I couldn't fit it all on a news post. It had been months since our last SkyWars update and in my opinion it really needed a fresh look having the same 2 year old maps, which numerous servers had stolen and a majority of core SkyWars players had left due to lack of updates and/or simply got bored. Anyway if you read all this, awesome! If any future players want to know why certain maps have been changed, please redirect them to this post. Thanks!

telegamer

Forum Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Bansilvania
bit.ly
Ice (Solo)
- Due to us having so many maps, had to make a choice between keeping an alright map. Since Snowy got revamped I didn't feel like this was worth keeping
- Ice is a difficult playing surface to PvP on
- The inner islands of ice were very difficult to parkour across and players always got trapped
- The towers were too bulky and took too much playing surface up
Ice wasn't only a good map to do MLG TNT, which is always fun. Me and my friends usually played it and waited for it to come on the boards, when it came, it usually filled in ~30 seconds. Although it may seem like there's difficulty playing pvp on it, that is what ice made ice. It was an unique map and I'd love to see it back. Tron is unique aswell, and is usually more based on bowing people off the middle, rather than actual pvp. Tron didn't get removed altough it aswell had an unique gameplay, just like ice. Don't get me wrong here, I like tron aswell, it's just that tron is more campy, and I'm using it as an example to compare it with the gameplay with ice.

Gravity (Solo)
- Middle was very ugly
- The starting islands had a very poor playing surface
- Unpopular map
This got me all like:
nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

In all seriousness though, everytime, with no exeptions, when the map showed up, which wasn't too often, it always filled up within 15 seconds. Yes it was a pretty old map, and the middle didn't have too much to it, to be fully honest it was just one big thing of stone with some stone blocks around it. Not alot of people really went to mid. Except for the people who MLG TNT'ed to it, which was a big challenge. Which is why we did it alot... :rolleyes: So if the middle gets some more to it, and the islands get a tiny bit bigger, it'd be cool to be back, there aren't any maps like that on other servers, which is why it made it so unique.

This is all I have to say, and I'd love to here the response,
-telegamer ~ Owen

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
Ice
Originally when I built that map I wanted to experiment with Ice to see what it was like in PvP since I never had any knowledge of using it in map design. However after experiencing it on other maps, especially on duels I then received a lot of feedback https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels-maps-give-us-feedback.120741/#post-513434
Almost every response regarding the maps 'Ice-rink' and 'Frost' sum up why this was one of the main reasons I wanted to remove this map, due to the difficulty of PvPing. It provided players with a different tactic when playing SkyWars, since there was TNT at mid and it required a lot of parkour to get to mid if you wanted to rush and set up traps, which are good qualities I've put into the new revamps. However, this map felt like I would need to completely redesign it, if I wanted to use Ice in gameplay due to it being so awkward. The reason Tron stayed was due to the core gameplay of the middle, it's so tactical, I will be applying balance changes in the next update to try and stop players camping though. And upgrading the horrible looking starter islands.

Gravity
When asking what maps to remove, gravity was in the top 5.
When spawning on the island, you could be pretty much be insta killed from numerous projectiles such as eggs or snowballs being thrown at you, which is simply too OP. The lack of space, and uneven islands made it so awkward to PvP. And yah middle was horrible, was actually meant to be a statue however just looked like a lump of stone.

Hope this explains all :P

Reactions: _The13thDoctor_

DrHam

Forum Veteran
Sep 15, 2015
Kepler-452b
Ice
Originally when I built that map I wanted to experiment with Ice to see what it was like in PvP since I never had any knowledge of using it in map design. However after experiencing it on other maps, especially on duels I then received a lot of feedback https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels-maps-give-us-feedback.120741/#post-513434
Almost every response regarding the maps 'Ice-rink' and 'Frost' sum up why this was one of the main reasons I wanted to remove this map, due to the difficulty of PvPing. It provided players with a different tactic when playing SkyWars, since there was TNT at mid and it required a lot of parkour to get to mid if you wanted to rush and set up traps, which are good qualities I've put into the new revamps. However, this map felt like I would need to completely redesign it, if I wanted to use Ice in gameplay due to it being so awkward. The reason Tron stayed was due to the core gameplay of the middle, it's so tactical, I will be applying balance changes in the next update to try and stop players camping though. And upgrading the horrible looking starter islands.

Gravity
When spawning on the island, you could be pretty much be insta killed from numerous projectiles such as eggs or snowballs being thrown at you, which is simply too OP. The lack of space, and uneven islands made it so awkward to PvP. And yah middle was horrible, was actually meant to be a statue however just looked like a lump of stone.

Hope this explains all :p
It does, Luke ;)

telegamer

Forum Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Bansilvania
bit.ly
Ice
I understand :)

Gravity
Understandable, though that you easily could insta kill people kind of made it "exciting" wheter or not the player next to you would. Eggs and snowballs were therefore "the big thing" in that map ;)
I completely understand removing it due to it being in the top 5, it's more that I don't understand that it is in the top 5, since it filled up so quickly.. Guess not enough forums people :P

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
Adding in-between islands is probably the best change ever for a map, I really enjoy that kind of gameplay. I wonder if the "upcoming team maps" will have more of those, as I really like how you can either rush an island or go mid easily, without having to do a 500 blocks long bridge, ready to get shot off in the void.

Side note:
THANKS SO MUCH FOR REMOVING PUNCH III, FINALLY IT'S ENJOYABLE TO PLAY OP (Kind of)

Reactions: Efcluke94

TUTORIALESHDPC

Oct 28, 2016
I liked the new rather than continue to put more cubecraft thus improving each day with more and more new maps minigame new update I liked a lot so keep improving

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
So, what will you do with the 1.8 end map? I mean, the new blocks that you're using aren't 1.8 compatible. So, any plans for that? Finally, why do you think ice was annoying? I feel like ice was one of the most popular maps in my opinion. It has a very unique style and can lead to some intense games. Finally, have you ever thought of adding more slots to the skywars options? I mean, I feel like there should be more slots due to it's popularity. So, I hope you guys will take one of my best forum posts I've ever made seriously. Have a good day -1212hawks_

telegamer

Forum Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Bansilvania
bit.ly
So, what will you do with the 1.8 end map? I mean, the new blocks that you're using aren't 1.8 compatible. So, any plans for that? Finally, why do you think ice was annoying? I feel like ice was one of the most popular maps in my opinion. It has a very unique style and can lead to some intense games. Finally, have you ever thought of adding more slots to the skywars options? I mean, I feel like there should be more slots due to it's popularity. So, I hope you guys will take one of my best forum posts I've ever made seriously. Have a good day -1212hawks_
More slots? You mean in the lobby? It used to be 120 players max, but due to a host change it went down to 60.. So yea..

Efcluke94

👀
Team CubeCraft
💙 Admin Team
🎨 Designer
Oct 20, 2013
I wonder if the "upcoming team maps" will have more of those, as I really like how you can either rush an island or go mid easily, without having to do a 500 blocks long bridge, ready to get shot off in the void.
There will be plans for more team skywars maps with their own unique layouts :P

So, what will you do with the 1.8 end map? I mean, the new blocks that you're using aren't 1.8 compatible. So, any plans for that?
It should be disabled and removed from 1.8 network. Also Ice, previously explained it was annoying due to the Ice blocks making players slipping and sliding everywhere, and finding it difficult to PvP, which almost every response from this thread covers: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels-maps-give-us-feedback.120741/#post-513434
As for the more slots, not sure what you mean? We can generate numerous lobbies and will never run out so that isn't an issue and signs will constantly generate once they are filled. Hope this answers all

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
There will be plans for more team skywars maps with their own unique layouts :P

It should be disabled and removed from 1.8 network. Also Ice, previously explained it was annoying due to the Ice blocks making players slipping and sliding everywhere, and finding it difficult to PvP, which almost every response from this thread covers: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels-maps-give-us-feedback.120741/#post-513434
As for the more slots, not sure what you mean? We can generate numerous lobbies and will never run out so that isn't an issue and signs will constantly generate once they are filled. Hope this answers all
By the way, do you know by any chance why crafting God apples was added? Might not fit the thread subject, but I really don't like this change, as I like SkyWars for being really "vanilla-ish" 1.9, personally.

It's just so powerful with so little effort.

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
Well, what I mean by slots is when you can join a game, there are only like 10 slots you can choose from. So, what I'm thinking is that there should be 20 slots that you can choose from and every slot will have a map rotation if there are more than 20 maps. Example: A game of jungle fills up, then, the slot will be End instead of jungle. After that game fills up, Jungle will be back up. It goes on and on and on. So, if you add this, it'd add more mal options for people to play

Grimmay

Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2016
a Pleb Family
www.youtube.com
I completely disagree with some things. These were the maps that were removed or changed, that i loved!

Pirates: I loved this map, this was because using the kit pyromainiac you could burn the islands once you looted them!

Pokemon: I liked the small islands, it meant you could hit people off by critting and strafing!

Diet: I sorta liked it, I liked how different it was, but the islands were too far apart.

DNA: This was one of my all time favourite maps. Just like pokemon, you could hit people off. It also was really good for lava, as the lava would flow down the strands, meaning if you hit someone into it, they were dead.

I understand some of the reasons why you got rid of certain maps, but the main one i would like brought back, or re vamped is DNA.

Thanks, James Lawrence

Thomaser

Dec 28, 2015
play.cubecraftgames.net
Everything should be re-managed once, so did these maps. I'm going to be fair that some maps didn't had to be changed, but with others I am extremely happy they're redesigned or permanently removed. However, new maps are almost always better than the once before. I pray more Skywars updates will follow soon! :P

EPICNESS42683

Jan 28, 2017
This is a great idea for a new map with only one problem - it looks too much like the egg was map other than that it is a great map, Love the rest though

Reactions: iLoveYouu
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I may or may not have bought 6 Birthday Bundles (used one on myself) and I may or may not do a Giveaway for 1 soon 😉
IMG_5319.png
ImLeave wrote on thejumboyt's profile.
Welcome!
CrystalLegend01 wrote on savina875's profile.
Thank you for the follow! And welcome to the Forums
MrTommy wrote on Eli's profile.
So ypy finally admitting im good at something :D
Screenshot_20240425_224822_Samsung Internet.jpg
Reesle wrote on The NightGhost02's profile.
Happy Birthday!! 🥳
Top Bottom