Gatsbe

Jan 13, 2016
H9aktLz.jpg

PVP needs some attention.

Duels

Duels are fun to play.
Here's how to make them better.

Kits
-some kits are just annoying to play with.
For example, the kit with a bow and diamond armor.
You will never be able to win this before the time runs out. The bow does too little damage and if you hit your opponent they will always be able to regen quicker than you can kill them.

I've also noticed that the pot pvp kit (1.8) is never available when dueling someone. You can only find it through the armor stand queue.

Maps
Simple maps are the best maps.
I'm tired of maps that have varying terrain; I want flat maps.
And I'm also tired of waiting what seems like days for maps to generate. Some maps are too big and some are too tall and some are too small.

PVP types
There are currently 5 armor stands:
-Classic
-Normal
-Overpowered
-Soup (lol)
-Insane
Removing Soup and Insane would funnel all the players into 3 main types.
No more waiting for someone to join your queue.

Why is there not a /duel command? If you want to duel an emerald rank who flying in the sky, you can't. If you want to duel someone but you don't know where they are, you can't. It would be much more simple to be able to type it.

Also, big thanks to whoever designed making custom kits. Its perfect.

(Devs still need to fix the chat filter in duels. You can say anything you want. Please.)

Next up, FFA.

FFA

Much of what is wrong with duels is also the same in FFA.

Kits
There are five kits to choose from. They are balanced on ground maps.
However, when it comes to wing maps, they are incredibly unbalanced.
I made that bold because if I could make one change to pvp, it would be that.
Whilst it normally takes 5 hits to kill a ninja, with elytra replacing the chestpiece, it only takes 3.
It's unfun and unusable.
The deal is the same with the shop; there is absolutely no point of buying a chestpiece unless you're going to be pvping at the bottom of the map.

A good way to fix this (as I've suggested before to no avail) is to add protection enchants to the elytra that vary from kit to kit.

Also, the shop. Add more items. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few items that could be pretty fun:
Potions
-jumpboost
-health
-damage &poison
-invisibility
Arrow types
-spectral
-slowness
-poison
Knockback stick
Fishing rod

And maybe, buying effects that last until you die:
-resistance I
-absorption II
-speed II

Maps

Maps. Where do I even start..
There are TOO MANY wing maps. No, I didn't say too little, I said too many. There are 2 wing maps out of 6 total maps. That should give us a 33% chance of seeing wing maps. Nope, it's the total opposite. Every time, and I mean every time, there are always more wing maps than ground maps. And for 1.8 FFA where there is only ONE map at a time (why?) I've come to hate them.

Space
Space is the better wing map. It's flat (at the bottom) and the platform spawn is the easiest way to farm points/kills.

Flowers
Flowers is horrible for four reasons:
-It's too big
-Most islands are too small
-There are no flat areas to pvp
-The bottom of the portal is closed so that every time you want to go through it you have to slow waaay down, and if you don't, when you hit the ground, you smash face-first into the ground and your organs are spewn across it like a Jackson Pollock painting.Yeah.

More maps, also.
Just a hint, though, we want maps that we can explore. Maps with little secrets or cool spots make exploring it worthwhile and it really makes the maps fun. For example, in the space map, the secret club in the water planet, or the secret basement in Kingdom.
And please, for the most part, keep them relatively flat.

FFA types
The same as duels, no one ever plays soup.
As for assassination, it's fun for a while until some guy who spent 24 hours grinding coins kills you with full diamond. But other than that I guess it's fun.

Achievements

Adding achievements would create a large incentive to play FFA and Duels.
With more players, theres more fun to be had.

TL;DR
make pvp better

If you've read this far, I ask you to please, please bump this thread. I want staff to notice that players really care about pvp and all I ask them to do is to consider anything I wrote.

@Tacosbefriends

Thanks for reading.

Tacosbefriends

Forum Professional
Jan 13, 2014
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
You will never be able to win this before the time runs out. The bow does too little damage and if you hit your opponent they will always be able to regen quicker than you can kill them.
OP Archer is the only OP duel I like, and it's because it doesn't last a million years due to tons of armor and gapples. I find it's the only OP duel that can be ended in a reasonable time. Perhaps bow duels just aren't your thing?

I've also noticed that the pot pvp kit (1.8) is never available when dueling someone. You can only find it through the armor stand queue.
Not sure what this means. It may just be an unpopular type of duel, and therefore matches for it are uncommon.

And I'm also tired of waiting what seems like days for maps to generate. Some maps are too big and some are too tall and some are too small.
Variety is nice. You can always make a custom duel and set what maps you prefer if the maps bother you that much. As for the wait time, we are unfortunately limited by Minecraft's capabilities. It's a small price to pay for how efficient the whole system is.

There are currently 5 armor stands:
-Classic
-Normal
-Overpowered
-Soup (lol)
-Insane
Removing Soup and Insane would funnel all the players into 3 main types.
No more waiting for someone to join your queue.
Some people like soup and insane duels. I personally find insane duels to be the most fun, as they rely less on skill and more on strategy or adaptability. They keep the game fresh by offering different ways to fight instead of just the same old sword pvp every other kit offers.

Why is there not a /duel command? If you want to duel an emerald rank who flying in the sky, you can't. If you want to duel someone but you don't know where they are, you can't. It would be much more simple to be able to type it.
I suppose we could add it. You could simply ask the flying emerald person to come down though.

There are five kits to choose from. They are balanced on ground maps.
Honestly, I disagree with this; I think the kits are pretty unbalanced as a whole. The only viable OP kits, for example, are beast and warrior. Samurai, sniper, and wizard are basically novelties compared to them. In normal FFA, it's a bit better, though it is pretty clear which classes are favored by the most people.

Also, the shop. Add more items. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few items that could be pretty fun:
Potions
-jumpboost
-health
-damage &poison
-invisibility
Arrow types
-spectral
-slowness
-poison
Knockback stick
Fishing rod
Maybe trim the list down a little, but some of these could definitely make a fun addition to the game.

Maps. Where do I even start..
There are TOO MANY wing maps. No, I didn't say too little, I said too many. There are 2 wing maps out of 6 total maps. That should give us a 33% chance of seeing wing maps. Nope, it's the total opposite. Every time, and I mean every time, there are always more wing maps than ground maps. And for 1.8 FFA where there is only ONE map at a time (why?) I've come to hate them.
It can definitely be frustrating when the only map available for your favorite type of FFA is Wings. I'm certain we could change how maps spawn to provide a better selection of non-wings maps.

Achievements
Yass.

Jackxist

Dedicated Member
Apr 25, 2016
Capetown, South Africa
I would have to agree with Achievements and Winged. I personally love winged But I know there a lot of players that do not like it and it is always up. So +1 from me for achievements and winged. Goodluck and Enjoy your wonderful day :)

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
In my experience duels with that kit take reasonably long on empty flat maps but they take very long on maps with obstacles. Most of the time the game still ends before the 10 minute mark, but if both opponents really try not to die, it can easily take longer. I'm not really sure how that could be changes since the time will always heavily depend on the map, making the armor weaker would make fights on flat maps too short. Some kits such as the op warrior are pretty much always shorter with fights taking less than 3 minutes.
OP Archer is the only OP duel I like, and it's because it doesn't last a million years due to tons of armor and gapples. I find it's the only OP duel that can be ended in a reasonable time. Perhaps bow duels just aren't your thing?
Are you sure you're thinking of the op archer and not the explosive bow kit? That one usually only takes a few seconds of spamming the bow as fast as possible since you don't even need to hit.

I think op kits should be made so that averagy fights take 1 to 5 minutes, the longer fights are why I join op instead of normal duels. I want to keep the op archer, but I would suggest some other changes to op kits:

Ninja: Move to insane. The blindness is genuinely insane so it would fit there well.
Bomber: Move to insane. Most players kill themselves with their creepers. Other players don't use the creepers at all so they might as well not be there.
Explosive Bow: Move to insane. It might be fun, but it is pretty insane. You don't have to hit your target, so thge objective it to spam the bow as fast as possible in their general direction to knock them off the map.
OP UHC: Replace enchanted golden apples with 3 normal golden apples. The fire resistance makes lava and flint+steel useless.
No Debuff: Make armor a little weaker and replace potions with splash potions. Currently the potions are rarely useful and often games only end because the armor breaks. The limiting factor should be the amount of potions.
Tank: New kit with protection 2 diamond armor, diamond sword, hunger disabled. I don't enjoy that kit too much but it would attract the people that currently abuse FFA to play duels.
Skywars: New kit with typical end game skywars gear: Diamond Armor (Skywars Enchants), Diamond sword, 1 to 3 golden apples, food, 2 lava and water buckets, bow and many arrows, shield, snowballs. pickaxe, 64 stones. This is a kit that allows for many strategies, similar to the op uhc kit, but still has hunger enabled. I think it's different enough to warrant its own kit.
Armor: New kit with Strength 5, Regen 5, Sharp 3 iron sword, 2 sets of Prot 5 Unbreaking 5 Curse of Binding iron armor (one set equipped), no hunger. I think many people are missing op kits without speed. I like this kit because other than the Tank kit it is somewhat forgiving, you can make a small mistake and still come back.

The insane section should stay so that very unconventional kits are separated allowing me to click the op queue without having to worry about getting a kit with blindness :eek:.
Maps
I still want the option to select your favourite maps as I said here: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/multiple-pvp-suggestions.192793/
On many maps you should remove the possibility to stand on the border, with some kits people climb up there using blocks or enderpearls resulting in stupid 1 hit kill situations. That should not be a thing. Maximum building height should be 5 to 8 blocks, enderpearling on obstacles should be impossible (for example by adding a maximum pearl height). https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/enderpearls-and-no-debuff.196973/
The map generation thing is just obnoxious and from what I've seen on my server it's actively bad to have players on the map (setType() and setData() functions seem to return faster when no player is close to that block). Why even teleport the players to the map when no map is available? Why does this happen even when not many players are online? Prepare the maps in advance.
I also still want those things to make duels more tolerable: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels.196748/

Reactions: Gatsbe and vinlir

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
I'm sure. If memory serves, you only get normal gapples in OP Archer, whereas other OP kits give the player Notch apples. Screw Notch apples, man.
In some kits the notch apple isn't bad. Just in the uhc kit it doesn't make sense because it makes lava and fire useless. The duration of op warrior fights is very good in my opinion and other than the archer it always ends in time. Even on a flat map op archer fights take longer than the op warrior on average for me.
mpv-shot0004.jpg

Reactions: Cactus Awex

Cactus Awex

Novice Member
Mar 6, 2017
Manchester, Wigan
www.google.com
In my experience duels with that kit take reasonably long on empty flat maps but they take very long on maps with obstacles. Most of the time the game still ends before the 10 minute mark, but if both opponents really try not to die, it can easily take longer. I'm not really sure how that could be changes since the time will always heavily depend on the map, making the armor weaker would make fights on flat maps too short. Some kits such as the op warrior are pretty much always shorter with fights taking less than 3 minutes.

Are you sure you're thinking of the op archer and not the explosive bow kit? That one usually only takes a few seconds of spamming the bow as fast as possible since you don't even need to hit.

I think op kits should be made so that averagy fights take 1 to 5 minutes, the longer fights are why I join op instead of normal duels. I want to keep the op archer, but I would suggest some other changes to op kits:

Ninja: Move to insane. The blindness is genuinely insane so it would fit there well.
Bomber: Move to insane. Most players kill themselves with their creepers. Other players don't use the creepers at all so they might as well not be there.
Explosive Bow: Move to insane. It might be fun, but it is pretty insane. You don't have to hit your target, so thge objective it to spam the bow as fast as possible in their general direction to knock them off the map.
OP UHC: Replace enchanted golden apples with 3 normal golden apples. The fire resistance makes lava and flint+steel useless.
No Debuff: Make armor a little weaker and replace potions with splash potions. Currently the potions are rarely useful and often games only end because the armor breaks. The limiting factor should be the amount of potions.
Tank: New kit with protection 2 diamond armor, diamond sword, hunger disabled. I don't enjoy that kit too much but it would attract the people that currently abuse FFA to play duels.
Skywars: New kit with typical end game skywars gear: Diamond Armor (Skywars Enchants), Diamond sword, 1 to 3 golden apples, food, 2 lava and water buckets, bow and many arrows, shield, snowballs. pickaxe, 64 stones. This is a kit that allows for many strategies, similar to the op uhc kit, but still has hunger enabled. I think it's different enough to warrant its own kit.
Armor: New kit with Strength 5, Regen 5, Sharp 3 iron sword, 2 sets of Prot 5 Unbreaking 5 Curse of Binding iron armor (one set equipped), no hunger. I think many people are missing op kits without speed. I like this kit because other than the Tank kit it is somewhat forgiving, you can make a small mistake and still come back.

The insane section should stay so that very unconventional kits are separated allowing me to click the op queue without having to worry about getting a kit with blindness :eek:.

I still want the option to select your favourite maps as I said here: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/multiple-pvp-suggestions.192793/
On many maps you should remove the possibility to stand on the border, with some kits people climb up there using blocks or enderpearls resulting in stupid 1 hit kill situations. That should not be a thing. Maximum building height should be 5 to 8 blocks, enderpearling on obstacles should be impossible (for example by adding a maximum pearl height). https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/enderpearls-and-no-debuff.196973/
The map generation thing is just obnoxious and from what I've seen on my server it's actively bad to have players on the map (setType() and setData() functions seem to return faster when no player is close to that block). Why even teleport the players to the map when no map is available? Why does this happen even when not many players are online? Prepare the maps in advance.
I also still want those things to make duels more tolerable: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/duels.196748/
@MagnificentSpam Thats a lot of stuff so I will like it purely for effort and read it later xD btw ik someone on bonk.io with the name 'MagnificanSpam;... hm...

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
Maastricht, the Netherlands
youtu.be

Not sure what this means. It may just be an unpopular type of duel, and therefore matches for it are uncommon.

Variety is nice. You can always make a custom duel and set what maps you prefer if the maps bother you that much. As for the wait time, we are unfortunately limited by Minecraft's capabilities. It's a small price to pay for how efficient the whole system is.

Some people like soup and insane duels. I personally find insane duels to be the most fun, as they rely less on skill and more on strategy or adaptability. They keep the game fresh by offering different ways to fight instead of just the same old sword pvp every other kit offers.

I suppose we could add it. You could simply ask the flying emerald person to come down though.

Honestly, I disagree with this; I think the kits are pretty unbalanced as a whole. The only viable OP kits, for example, are beast and warrior. Samurai, sniper, and wizard are basically novelties compared to them. In normal FFA, it's a bit better, though it is pretty clear which classes are favored by the most people.

Maybe trim the list down a little, but some of these could definitely make a fun addition to the game.

It can definitely be frustrating when the only map available for your favorite type of FFA is Wings. I'm certain we could change how maps spawn to provide a better selection of non-wings maps.

Yass.
Well, I agree with TBF. Easy is that.

Top Bottom