• Yes

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
Also I want to add that who are mojang listening too when they went to 1.9? Are they listening too the general pvp community or mod creators and redstone people who tend to be not as good at pvp.

Jul 4, 2017
The story of how 1.9 came about is that Jeb wanted to add shields that could have banners on them, and he knew there were a lot of people who had asked for shields in the past. But then...
  1. He realized an offhand slot was necessary for using a shield
  2. He realized that the offhand slot could be used for other right-click items, so he added functionality to all items in offhand
  3. He realized that you could put arrows there to select which arrows to fire... which would require there being multiple arrow types to choose from, so he added tipped and spectral arrows.
  4. He realized that shields don't work with a sword in the main hand because swords have a right-click function, so he removed sword blocking.
  5. He realized that shields would be pretty useless if you could just keep spam-hitting it, so he added attack cooldowns to punish players who miss or hit shields.
  6. He realized that cooldowns made it harder to deal with a lot of attackers at once, so he added the sweep attack.
  7. He realized that shields could be campy so there should be a way to break through them, so he gave axes that ability.
  8. He realized that axes could be made into unique combat tools, so he made them slow but powerful.
  9. He realized that cooldowns could slow down combat, so he nerfed armor and Protection.
  10. He realized that some damage buffs could create broken combinations, so he nerfed Sharpness and Strength pot, and buffed Weakness pot.
I really don't think that the devs thought up all of these ideas as some part of a master plan to completely change all of Minecraft pvp, nor do I think that they just picked some random ideas out of a Reddit suggestions hat. It's more of a series of rebalances that became necessary to properly make room for a small set of user-requested and dev-desired features (shields, multiple arrows). They went from, "hey how could we add shields" to "hey how could we fix this janky combat?"

Subsequent updates have shown that 1.9 was really just the beginning of Mojang's attempts to clean out the junk in the game and create a more consistent, user-friendly experience, as well as adding a few new features to keep the people happy. 1.13 is the biggest example of this, being a chance to clean up the textures, commands, and performance.

To ask whether Mojang just listened to "non-pvp'ers" when making 1.9 is to presume that 1.9+ is only for people who are bad at pvp, and is a crappy irredeemable system. And that's a really unhelpful and untrue assumption.

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
The story of how 1.9 came about is that Jeb wanted to add shields that could have banners on them, and he knew there were a lot of people who had asked for shields in the past. But then...
  1. He realized an offhand slot was necessary for using a shield
  2. He realized that the offhand slot could be used for other right-click items, so he added functionality to all items in offhand
  3. He realized that you could put arrows there to select which arrows to fire... which would require there being multiple arrow types to choose from, so he added tipped and spectral arrows.
  4. He realized that shields don't work with a sword in the main hand because swords have a right-click function, so he removed sword blocking.
  5. He realized that shields would be pretty useless if you could just keep spam-hitting it, so he added attack cooldowns to punish players who miss or hit shields.
  6. He realized that cooldowns made it harder to deal with a lot of attackers at once, so he added the sweep attack.
  7. He realized that shields could be campy so there should be a way to break through them, so he gave axes that ability.
  8. He realized that axes could be made into unique combat tools, so he made them slow but powerful.
  9. He realized that cooldowns could slow down combat, so he nerfed armor and Protection.
  10. He realized that some damage buffs could create broken combinations, so he nerfed Sharpness and Strength pot, and buffed Weakness pot.
I really don't think that the devs thought up all of these ideas as some part of a master plan to completely change all of Minecraft pvp, nor do I think that they just picked some random ideas out of a Reddit suggestions hat. It's more of a series of rebalances that became necessary to properly make room for a small set of user-requested and dev-desired features (shields, multiple arrows). They went from, "hey how could we add shields" to "hey how could we fix this janky combat?"

Subsequent updates have shown that 1.9 was really just the beginning of Mojang's attempts to clean out the junk in the game and create a more consistent, user-friendly experience, as well as adding a few new features to keep the people happy. 1.13 is the biggest example of this, being a chance to clean up the textures, commands, and performance.

To ask whether Mojang just listened to "non-pvp'ers" when making 1.9 is to presume that 1.9+ is only for people who are bad at pvp, and is a crappy irredeemable system. And that's a really unhelpful and untrue assumption.
So what your saying is that they totally changed minecrafts pvp style to add shields?I think your just making assumptions. People were pretty happy with how the game was before they added 1.9. Its true 99.99% of the pvp community was fine with 1.8/1.7 no one wanted to add cooldowns too pvp. Your straying soo far from the topic of this thread. I honestly just want blockwars too have a 1.8 feature. Theres not a way that this would harm cubecraft and just make it more "user friendly". The fact that your calling 1.8 junk and saying it should die is just stupid.There are millions of people that still daily play 1.8. You have to understand the reason minecraft is dying is because the devs dont listen too players anymore. Name one person who wanted attack cooldowns

Jul 4, 2017
Me. And whether people wanted them beforehand is irrelevant, because a large number of people prefer them now.

They didn't completely change pvp's style - it's the same premise, you just can't spam-click anymore and there's more tools to use. Stop making up false statistics, btw.

You're the one who asked where 1.9 came from, I answered. This interview (http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/60148-docm77-interviews-dinnerbone-about-1-9-update) clearly shows that Dinnerbone was very much focused on balancing pvp and creating a more dynamic playing field. It isn't perfect yet in my opinion, but none of you can give any credible feedback that they'll listen to because you won't even play in the current version.

And as for the pvp update coming from shields, I read it from an interview with Jeb... which I've just spent another hour searching for with no luck. It was some random game news site, nothing big like Polygon or IGN... that's all I remember though. Jeb basically said he wanted to add shields, but that in order for attacks to feel real and dynamic against shields, and for shields to be effective, there had to be an attack cooldown.

Jul 4, 2017
As for the original argument, I don't think Cube should spend time making half-baked 1.8 versions of their games when their 1.9+ versions are already half-baked. And 1.8 servers would have to make 1.12 pvp games first.

Reactions: feferino

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
So what your saying is that they totally changed minecrafts pvp style to add shields?I think your just making assumptions. People were pretty happy with how the game was before they added 1.9. Its true 99.99% of the pvp community was fine with 1.8/1.7 no one wanted to add cooldowns too pvp. Your straying soo far from the topic of this thread. I honestly just want blockwars too have a 1.8 feature. Theres not a way that this would harm cubecraft and just make it more "user friendly". The fact that your calling 1.8 junk and saying it should die is just stupid.There are millions of people that still daily play 1.8. You have to understand the reason minecraft is dying is because the devs dont listen too players anymore. Name one person who wanted attack cooldowns
You are right. I think cubecraft should actually remove every single 1.9 feature and go back to the good old 2014 days of 1.8 because let's be honest, its what the kids want these days. I think minigames like eggwars should remove the egg and replace it with a much more modern item, for example a bed, and then of course they should change the name to bedwars as bedwars is a far superior name. In fact, speaking of superior names, cubecraft should in fact abolish the name "cubecraft" because let's be honest, nobody likes that name, name me one person that does like that name, exactly, nobody. Cubecraft should be renamed hypixel because let's be honest, millions of people have played on hypixel before, therefore it would only be logical to rename it that.

feferino

Feb 12, 2017
Around the computer
You are right. I think cubecraft should actually remove every single 1.9 feature and go back to the good old 2014 days of 1.8 because let's be honest, its what the kids want these days. I think minigames like eggwars should remove the egg and replace it with a much more modern item, for example a bed, and then of course they should change the name to bedwars as bedwars is a far superior name. In fact, speaking of superior names, cubecraft should in fact abolish the name "cubecraft" because let's be honest, nobody likes that name, name me one person that does like that name, exactly, nobody. Cubecraft should be renamed hypixel because let's be honest, millions of people have played on hypixel before, therefore it would only be logical to rename it that.
i TOTALLY don't agree with that. I mean come on, where did that idea came from: naming cubecraft Hypixel? That way CubeCraft copies a name from other server. And: Eggwars and Bedwars have different rules, so you are actually saying that they need a new game. You ask who likes the name CubeCraft, well: I LIKE IT!!! And i agree with this:
Me. And whether people wanted them beforehand is irrelevant, because a large number of people prefer them now.

They didn't completely change pvp's style - it's the same premise, you just can't spam-click anymore and there's more tools to use. Stop making up false statistics, btw.

You're the one who asked where 1.9 came from, I answered. This interview (http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/60148-docm77-interviews-dinnerbone-about-1-9-update) clearly shows that Dinnerbone was very much focused on balancing pvp and creating a more dynamic playing field. It isn't perfect yet in my opinion, but none of you can give any credible feedback that they'll listen to because you won't even play in the current version.

And as for the pvp update coming from shields, I read it from an interview with Jeb... which I've just spent another hour searching for with no luck. It was some random game news site, nothing big like Polygon or IGN... that's all I remember though. Jeb basically said he wanted to add shields, but that in order for attacks to feel real and dynamic against shields, and for shields to be effective, there had to be an attack cooldown.

As for the original argument, I don't think Cube should spend time making half-baked 1.8 versions of their games when their 1.9+ versions are already half-baked. And 1.8 servers would have to make 1.12 pvp games first.

I wanted cooldowns and i think Blockwars should stay on 1.9 combat, as other games should. If you don't understand 1.9 combat or you want to be better at it, then learn it. Learn new strategies and tactics and you'll be better. Plus: main goal of the Blockwars is to destroy the core/capture more flags then your opponent. So PvP is just there to slow down that process. Focus on goal, not on PvP.

Luzario

Jun 7, 2017
Ireland
I think cube craft should go back to 1.8 pvp, this might sound weird but do what hypixel do and remove the cool down completely, because the competitive players don't want a slow paced game

Jul 4, 2017
It isn't slow-paced, there are competitive 1.9+ pvp'ers, and there would be more if more servers offered it.

(Also Santa was being satirical).

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
Your totally missing the point here... Im asking for a version that can be played in 1.8 of certain games.

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
Whatever. @logicalpencils your totally attacking 1.8 calling it junk and spam clicking noobs. You have no idea what your talking about. Clearly you cant let the idea that 1.9+ is more popular because 5 versions vs 1 is bound to be more popular. I dont care what the 1.9ers want there would be no harm in adding a alternative version game mode. There are no 1.9 competitive pvpers and if there are any then the 1.7/1.8 community of competitive pvpers is 1000% bigger. Yes it did totally change the pvp style I have no idea why you try that argument.

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
Whatever. @logicalpencils your totally attacking 1.8 calling it junk and spam clicking noobs. You have no idea what your talking about. Clearly you cant let the idea that 1.9+ is more popular because 5 versions vs 1 is bound to be more popular. I dont care what the 1.9ers want there would be no harm in adding a alternative version game mode. There are no 1.9 competitive pvpers and if there are any then the 1.7/1.8 community of competitive pvpers is 1000% bigger. Yes it did totally change the pvp style I have no idea why you try that argument.
"There would be no harm in adding 1.8" do you even know how much that would cost? That's right, a lot. And although the nooby spamclick pvp is more popular, it doesn't mean it will bring more players to cube because there are so many big spamclick servers that cube would be entering a saturated competitive market so it would probably cost too much for very little player base increase in the end which isn't sustainable. In 1.9 however, they are not just A 1.9 server, they are THE 1.9 server, if you want to play 1.9 minigames, you go to cubecraft, not anywhere else, which is a pretty nice title to have, if you want to play 1.8, there are 10000 servers to choose from including a certain 65k player server that will probably gobble up all 1.8 servers' playerbases soon enough anyway

Jul 4, 2017

Well I do personally think 1.8 is junk.

You clearly can't get the idea that 1.8 is vastly preferred among Minecraft players out of your head, despite having no credible, statistically sound evidence for this claim. I don't think that 1.9+ is "more popular" just because 4 versions is bigger than 1; most people don't play 1.9-1.11 anyways, which is also why I think 1.9-1.11 support needs to be dropped.

There are lots of competitive players, and your group's arrogant insistence that servers should keep holding on to 1.8 is the only reason it hasn't grown for 19 months.

Reactions: Despacito 2

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
"There would be no harm in adding 1.8" do you even know how much that would cost? That's right, a lot. And although the nooby spamclick pvp is more popular, it doesn't mean it will bring more players to cube because there are so many big spamclick servers that cube would be entering a saturated competitive market so it would probably cost too much for very little player base increase in the end which isn't sustainable. In 1.9 however, they are not just A 1.9 server, they are THE 1.9 server, if you want to play 1.9 minigames, you go to cubecraft, not anywhere else, which is a pretty nice title to have, if you want to play 1.8, there are 10000 servers to choose from including a certain 65k player server that will probably gobble up all 1.8 servers' playerbases soon enough anyway
Nooby? Give your ideas too why thats true.

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
Well I do personally think 1.8 is junk.

You clearly can't get the idea that 1.8 is vastly preferred among Minecraft players out of your head, despite having no credible, statistically sound evidence for this claim. I don't think that 1.9+ is "more popular" just because 4 versions is bigger than 1; most people don't play 1.9-1.11 anyways, which is also why I think 1.9-1.11 support needs to be dropped.

There are lots of competitive players, and your group's arrogant insistence that servers should keep holding on to 1.8 is the only reason it hasn't grown for 19 months.
Cause my "group "doesnt like 1.9 duh

Jul 4, 2017
And I refuse to agree to accommodating you on this 1.12 server until 1.8 servers start accommodating us.

As for the nooby aspect of 1.8, most of it isn't actually nooby; it's just that the only things that 1.9 changed were the nooby parts - that is, spam-clicking and blockhitting. 1.9 introduced more thought into when to attack and block, whereas before it was just "click as fast as you can" for both.

The 1.8 people reply that the removal of spam-clicking also removed skilled parts of pvp as a collateral; things such as hotkeying, combos, and strafing. This argument is simply untrue, but you wouldn't know that because you've never played 1.9+ games with the intent to actually get good at it.

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
And I refuse to agree to accommodating you on this 1.12 server until 1.8 servers start accommodating us.

As for the nooby aspect of 1.8, most of it isn't actually nooby; it's just that the only things that 1.9 changed were the nooby parts - that is, spam-clicking and blockhitting. 1.9 introduced more thought into when to attack and block, whereas before it was just "click as fast as you can" for both.

The 1.8 people reply that the removal of spam-clicking also removed skilled parts of pvp as a collateral; things such as hotkeying, combos, and strafing. This argument is simply untrue, but you wouldn't know that because you've never played 1.9+ games with the intent to actually get good at it.
It is true. I did remove combos. That also means you can stand still and because combos dont do anything its just a game of aim. Blockhitting took more skill than you can imagine. First you had to time it. Also with taking blockhitting out it also removed straightlining which was also a huge part of pvp. I kinda agree it was a game of clicks but it really depends on ping. If you have crappy ping jittering does help because it will register swings/hits quicker. As if you have like 30 and below ping you wouldnt need to jitter because of how fast your hits reged. I guess your sorta right that we dont exactly cater too your community because we simply dont like it and it doesnt fit in with alot of our games.For example how would BL be in 1.9?

Jul 4, 2017
"BL" means "Bad****" server? Can't think of a game acronym that fits...

But honestly I can't think of a single game that requires spam-clicking or sword-blocking to function. I mean, SkyWars, BedWars, SG, UHC, and Walls are all just the same premise of "last man/team standing" with various ways of gathering resources and a few extraneous rules. Being able to spam-click isn't necessary for the combat in any of those games, because you can just substitute it for 1.9+ combat and you're fine. Or substitute it with gun combat, or wizard combat, or grenade combat... honestly, nothing about how the games function requires a specific combat style.

1.9 didn't remove combos, just added some new ones and changed how to do others. And how was blocking necessary for straightlining?

SavFun

Jan 18, 2017
Cubecraft should just get rid of 1.8 all together, it's a kind of 'we don't server people that have a bad taste in games' type thing.

Members Online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on mysticil's profile.
Welcome to the forums I hope you will enjoy your stay here!:D
Cool reaction score:
IMG_5407.jpeg

Thanks @TheOrderOfSapphire for being my 3333rd lol
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on matmat's profile.
Welcome to the forums!:D If you need help just dm me or other staff and we will be happy to help you. ^-^
Reesle wrote on matmat's profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums! :)
You’re cool for joining 😎
UncleSpect wrote on Desiderata's profile.
henlo haha
Top Bottom