Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
I'm not a man of intros so let's get on with it.
(Just read the whole thread before commenting, not doing so only makes yourself look stupid, with that said,)

Mid camping is a broken problem strategy that is ruining eggwars.
Let me explain. First of all, some quotes from various people:
What is mid camping?

Do not confuse mid camping and base camping. Base campers generally are just protecting their egg - mid campers are trying to stop you from doing ANYTHING. In other words, mid campers are actually playing offense instead of defense - they're just not moving anywhere!

How do you deal with mid campers?

Mid campers are much, much harder to deal with than base campers. Rather than finding a way in to a camper's base and easily killing them, you first have to get out of your island. This is much harder than it sounds - and that's the EASIEST part to dealing with mid campers. First off, power bows are much more commonly used among mid campers than with anyone else. Basically, two shots, even with a back wall, will kill you. Not to mention, you have no defenses if the mid campers come after you as your diamond generator will most likely will not be up. You also can't split up - mid campers are almost always good at PvP and will destroy you if you split from your team. Not to mention, in every game I've been mid camped, the mid campers actually left the bridge to my base. This actually makes it worse - as you basically have only one approach option that won't get you insta-killed - get over THAT bridge. If you manage to escape the island with the barrage of power bows, THEN you need to find a way to THEM. This is even more difficult as you get more and more vulnerable to power bows as you approach. And even if you make a proper setup for power bows, you never know if they'll just pull out a punch bow and mix you up - making this stage even more difficult.

And don't even try to say "Go for their egg" - They're so stacked and have so many resources available to them - why the hell would they care about their egg?

Now for the hardest part of this all - if you somehow manage to bypass the BARRAGE of power bows and TnT Cannons, now you have to kill them! This is.. close to IMPOSSIBLE! You're SEVERELY outgeared and it's likely they're on the same if not better PvP level than you. How exactly do you expect to kill them? And then they'll most likely just attack you.

So yeah, I'm out of time. I'll post more about this in a bit.
I'm just going to write this message to everyone on this thread as an attempt for them to see just how bad mid camping is. First, let's compare the processes of dealing with an ordinary base camper and dealing with a mid camper.

Base Campers:
1. Gear up to iron armor - will only take one minute with resources at mid
2. Ender Pearl (it's getting added in the next update in normal mode) or Safe Bridge
3. Kill them - they shouldn't be difficult
  • Break the egg as well obviously

Mid Campers:
1. Get out of your island
  • 1. Gear up enough so that you can't be knocked out with just 2 power bow shots
  • 2. Try to get across the bridge to middle
  • 3. You can't try to go to another island - the mid campers will just come break your egg and destroy you
  • 4. Make sure someone is constantly guarding your bridge - otherwise they'll get your egg
2. Find a way to mid
  • You still have to watch for power bows - they'll destroy you
  • TnT Cannons have no use, and they're not cost efficient without diamonds
  • Ender Pearls not available - you don't have a diamond gen!
  • You can't fight back - you can't get bows
  • Splitting up will get you killed - you can't stop them from attacking without bows
3. Fight!
  • You're severely outgeared - you'll likely get destroyed
  • Strength effect will kill you in 2 hits
  • You may be outnumbered as your teammates may have ragequit
  • Attacking their egg won't work - why would they care?
  • These people are generally much better than your ordinary base camper - you need some skill to take the emeralds!
  • They could always just run if you end up overwhelming them - you won't be able to kill them
Have you read all that? Great! You should now have a basic understanding of what mid camping is and why it is such a great deal. Now let me give you an example of your average game against a mid camper:
Mid camping is a completely broken strategy as it is. WHY would you want to ENCOURAGE people to do this? Let me explain one game I was in:

I was playing a game of Aztec, normal mode normal health. I was on red team and after building to mid, I went straight to yellow. I went straight toward the egg and easily killed all six members of the team. I then cut across mid and went for green. I easily took the egg, but this team was much harder to kill. I still managed to kill four of them, but the last two killed me. When I went back to my island, guess what! Three blue people were standing at the end of our bridge! Now understand, our bridge to mid was completely intact and more than half of it was guarded, meaning we couldn't get knocked off by bows. We started to continue the walls toward middle. We didn't run into too many problems until the final 10 blocks - this didn't take any more than 5 minutes to accomplish. But by the end, it was impossible to cover those last 10 blocks. Understand, these three guys had power AND punch bows, meaning we never knew what to expect when crossing the bridge. By the way, going out is not an option because you'll need 12 to 15 stacks of blocks to do that kind of bridge on Aztec. Plus, if people go out that splits the team - giving the mid campers a chance to attack while we're vulnerable. So, we had to figure out a way to cross the bridge - it was the only option. You want to know how? 25 minutes later, those two people over at green came over and attacked them. Yes, just 10 blocks and we had to wait almost half an hour. By the way, those people had no skill - I took all three of them out without taking any damage. After that, I then had to go through three more people - who this entire time have been collecting from mid as the other three guarded us. These people were stacked AF and I had no shot against them, even though I was WAY better at PvP than them.

And by the way, we had no diamond gen active. So don't even try to say we could've fought them back with bows.

(all credits go to @Donald J. Trump , man, your text walls are so good you should put one on the Mexican border)
By now, you should understand that this strategy is absolutely devastating and not making the game any better.
Now, because some people are not that great at understanding a wall of text, I decided to make a video explaining it. It's only 8 minutes, so it doesn't hurt to give it a look. Here it is:
You watched all that? Great!
But Kronos, that is only the map space (and Aztec if you read the text) / But Kronos, that's only OP mode! Sure these problems don't exist on other maps with normal items?

"It's actually a valid strategy"
Oh yes it is, so is teaming and base camping. It's a valid strategy, but is it making the game any better? NO.
"You just have to stop it before it happens and it's your own fault if you don't / Go offensive in the beginning / Rush everyone"
As seen in my videos, all it takes is 1 punch bow by 1 player out of maybe 40. It's just not a valid argument. The only way to prevent an enemy from mid camping is by mid camping yourself, still making mid camping a problem.
"Just go to their egg"
They don't care about their egg, they won't die because they have all the gear in the world.
The Oh so populair: "But it's part of the game"
That something is a part of the game doesn't make it good. Lowpixel's bedwars has very little issues with campers and is immensely popular, even taking quite a lot of players from eggwars.
"Just keep respawning and try again and put your valuables in a chest"
You mean dieing over and over again without reaching anything?
"Just split up"
Will guarantee your death.

Alright, enough examples. Mid camping is clearly a problem, it's pretty hard to deny that now.
So what do we do about it?

First of all, the solution has to be available for gold or iron, since you will have no access to mid, and therefore diamonds. Secondly, it shouldn't be too exploitable, and third and most importantly: It has to work. With these factors in mind, what solutions are there?

There are some suggestions, however most are either pretty over-complicated and hard to implement, too exploitable or not practical, so I tried to come up with a few simple and viable solutions, here they are:

Let's start with the main suggestion: Adding Invisibility potions and Levitation potions.
These would be 32 gold each, and would last for 20 seconds. Why exactly?
Since they are available for gold, it's accessible to most starting islands. They are not too exploitable since a flying target won't be hard to hit, and it's quite a price to pay just to get to another island, (remember that once there not all your problems will suddenly disappear) and they are practical: Not hard to implement, not hard to understand, and not hard to use. Seems reasonable huh? I thought so, and therefore, I decided to actually try it instead of just talking a bunch of theory about it:
"This would cause constant running and hopping between islands, just like late stage OP games / Campers would run away when you pearl to them"
It wouldn't. As you can see in the video, it takes only 3 shots to kill someone flying with a punch bow, and only 2 shots with a power bow + You can knock him further from the islands into the nothingness with your punch bow letting them fall to their death.
"But they can keep their armor on, what do they care that you see them flying?"
Since they have quite a lot of gold to pull this off multiple times, you should have enough gold to buy some (slowness) arrows and blow them out of the sky. You would kill them before they can even reach mid.
"But armor in OP is much stronger"
In OP there already is an endless game of chasing going on, I don't think levitation potions would add so much to it.
"But they can fly with a shield"
And then fall to their deaths in the void because flying with a shield is pretty slow.
"But they can have a lot of potions"
Which means you have a lot of arrows and also probably enough to follow him, whether it be by a normal bridge or by using potions yourself.
"But they wouldn't be seen when going away because they also have invis potions"
Since you were already in a fight, the enemy should have some arrows in their body (which take long to despawn) which completely destroys the use of it + Even if they didn't, they had to take off their armor first making them very vulnerable to your sword and other weapons.
"They'd be available too early"
32 gold is not really available very early, and since you want to use them early why not use a normal bridge since it's cheaper and nobody has a bow yet anyway.
"People can use invisibility potions to hide in a corner forever"
You have a compass + Potion particles + It's only 20 seconds + Drinking one makes noise.
"But you can sneak up behind someone and knock them off the island"
That's kinda the whole goal. Getting rid of the enemy somehow.
"You'll just shoot them to mid"
They'd be dead before they reach it due to the damage + you can steer them away from it.
"It's too overpowered for it's price"
The thing that is too overpowered here is mid camping. The potions are quite a lot of gold for only bringing you to the other side, not to mention reaching the other side doesn't automatically mean you've won. You still have to kill them.

It's not the best eggwars simulator, but it's good enough:
(I know, it's not actually me using the potions, I tried it, but siblings are siblings you know...)

Alright, now that that's all done and talked about, onto the next suggestion:
Make shields cheaper.
Why is it that a bow is 8 diamonds, but a shield 30? It just doesn't make any sense. Shields are an effective counter against campers in general, as well as mid campers, so I don't see why this hasn't changed yet.

Now the last suggestion:
Increase the price of bows.
A shield is 30 diamonds making it hard to counter, a punch bow + a camper slows down the game too freaking much, so just change it.

Hope you all like it. Make sure to comment what you think about it. (but only if you have read everything)

TL;DR:
No, read the thread, not just a summary, otherwise just don't comment, it's only making you look stupid.
Alright I'll give you one anyway, but don't comment before reading it all ok? Good: TL;DR Mid camping is a problem and levitation potions and invisibility potions are a well possible solution.

BOO

Last edited:

Qin Shihuangdi

Forum Expert
Nov 11, 2015
The Orange House
Love everything you said in this thread. Perhaps you should attach my post about getting those 30 notch apples as well. Yes, it was normal mode. And this mid camping was actually pretty modest compared with what I did in the 30 Notch game. In that game, I threw tnt cannons at everyone that tried coming, covered the diamond gens with giant glass and obsidian cages, upgraded all the diamond gens to max, and had two backup sets of iron.

Reactions: CommunistCactus

ChasingRainbows

Jun 16, 2016
Florida
Okay but there's no way someone can go to mid, go back to their base to get a punch bow, and come back to camp mid without you being able to get to mid unless you actively don't try to go mid at the beginning of the game.

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
Okay but there's no way someone can go to mid, go back to their base to get a punch bow, and come back to camp mid without you being able to get to mid
Well, I just did in my video, and don't tell me green didn't do all they could to gain control over mid.
EDIT: And even if they could, just like a few could in my video, they just get shot off the island.

Reactions: Qin Shihuangdi

Hypixel Network

Novice Member
Jan 28, 2017
Look . Im all for your anyi camping thing . But an extremely aggresive playstyle neutralizes this problem. I never go for diamonds .

Anyway thats just me and i understand not everyone finds aggro fun or is good at it. I havent come across many mid campers , maybe one or two.

I also know if its late game aggro is futile . Im all for levitation and invis
+1

DanDaDino

Dedicated Member
Mar 31, 2017
i nu tell u
www.cubecraft.net
Levitation and invisibility potions would almost definitely help combat these annoying mid campers! They can be really annoying and ruins the game for me and everyone else...

+1

Jef15ist

Dedicated Member
Jun 7, 2016
India
"They'd be available too early"
32 diamonds is not really available very early, and since you want to use them early why not use a normal bridge since it's cheaper and nobody has a bow yet anyway.
I think you meant Gold, not diamonds. Also, I'd consider upping the price up to 40-50 gold.

Reactions: CommunistCactus

Hypixel Network

Novice Member
Jan 28, 2017
Sure, this might work on some maps like toys, but if you play on a map like mushrooms or teaparty, you can't rush everyone.
Oh boy! I camp mid on mushrooms and ive camped mid at teaparty! Absolutely right you cannot kill everyone on those maps . Mushrooms is the most mid campy map because of the knockback II mushrooma

Haxusating

Jun 3, 2017
the Netherlands
I have to agree that adding an invisibility potion would be a good solution for mid campers.
But I think 32 gold would be something to overpowered cause, it's simply a free way to mid.

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
But I think 32 gold would be something to overpowered cause, it's simply a free way to mid.
64*

If the last few blocks are broken, you will be seen, even with invisibility.
If you only use levitation, you will be shot at.

(this is in the case of mid campers blocking access to mid, if there aren't then yes, 32 would be a free way to mid, however, so would 32 iron since you'll need less than 64 blocks to get there usually)

Qin Shihuangdi

Forum Expert
Nov 11, 2015
The Orange House
Okay but there's no way someone can go to mid, go back to their base to get a punch bow, and come back to camp mid without you being able to get to mid unless you actively don't try to go mid at the beginning of the game.
Except, you have no freaking clue what that guy was actually doing.

You don't know if he bought a sword or a bow. So, you don't even know what he's trying for.

If you see a guy rushing his next door neighbor, you know he's an island rusher. If you see a guy breaking his only bridge, you know he's a base camper. If someone is rushing mid, they could be basically anything. They could be a base camper, a mid camper, or a rusher. Leaving aside base campers as they don't pose a threat, you have to worry about mid campers and rushers. Since rushers pose a more immediate threat and are more common than mid campers, you'd surely build your mid bridge to stop them right...?
Well, the problem is, building a bridge to suit one tactic gives an edge to another one. If you build a bridge suited against rushers with an arch, it gives mid campers an advantage as they get more chances to shoot at you. If you go straight in, this leaves you extremely open to rushing from all sides.

So basically, this so called "eliminates mid camping strat" works around 40% of the time. Not very good if you ask me.

Also gonna tag @Gainfullterror as he'd like this conversation.

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Let me give you the usual scenario:

Map: Fairground
Your team: Green
Their team: Orange

Orange rushed mid pretty much as soon as they had access to blocks, and a minute or so later the 2 others came with decent gear to control mid. The naked one, got enough for a bow and a dozen arrows. He can basically prevent anyone from continuing the bridge.
BEFORE mr. naked got a bow, the others had to deal with you guys ALSO coming to mid. They managed to kill you off, and they decided to run over your bridge as far as they could before you could punch them off. When they reached their destination, they decided to break all of the bridge, and by the time they already finished, mr. not-so-naked-anymore got a bow. Now what do you do? You had a shot, but you couldn't make it back with diamonds. The other teams tried rushing each other AND orange, but failed due to the bow & good defence. Orange lost their egg in an attempted rush, but that doesn't stop them from mid camping. Nobody but them have bows, nobody but them have diamonds. Tell me: What can you?
Levitation potions could work, as long as a single potion is worth more than a layer of obsidian. Else players would just use this to rush nearly naked & pop other eggs with no effort.

Just play a game and test it out this sunday or something. No point is deliberating here .
Test what out exactly? 'Cause mid camping has been proven not to be too hard to do.

I do have one more question for the levitation potion, though. What do you do about the received fall damage after landing on mid? You're there, little health, they're hitting you while you're trying to regenerate. What do you do? Add a feather falling enchantment somehow? Actually, that might be a neat suggestion I could do...
I don't really feel like picking a specific kit to benefit in a somewhat rare scenario, so what can we do?

ChillyTree

Mar 15, 2017
Though mid camping is a little bit OP, it is just the game play, so why should we change it? Mid camping is the best way to go, but we should not do anything to stop it! Sorry, but adding/ changing something to make mid camping easier is a no go in my book. -1

Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Abodz's profile.
Happy Birthday! I hope you have/had a good day today!:D
Reesle wrote on Abodz's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎈
Reesle wrote on Ferrcho's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🥳
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Roxlad's profile.
Happy Birthday ^-^
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Ferrcho's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
Top Bottom