Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Do you want to change the shopping system while under combat?

• Total voters

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Eggwars is fun and balanced (to a degree) right now, but there's a single extremely frustrating problem: Shopping. Shopping in the middle of a fight, to be exact, I'll be calling this Battleshopping in the rest of this thread.

"Sooo... why is it a problem if you can kill them while shopping?"
Well you see, I typically play OP half health as my main mode for personal reasons. Although it's likely that you can kill someone while shopping in this mode, that's not always the case due to this occurring because of four major reasons:
-Good players will know the shop layout pretty well and won't have to spend much time
-Eating a golden apple could definitely save you
-Teammates of battleshopper are constantly in the way
-Strong armour

All of these things were a problem in a game I had just lost due to battleshopping. Doesn't this sound unfair already?
Well, if not, here's more: The villager is in a spot where you wouldn't be able to bow the player off, so bowing wasn't an option. Even worse, if I'm critting, the teammate can just shoot me with a punch bow to knock me over the 1-block-high "wall" around the villager, putting me really close to the void.
There was also a tier 3 diamond gen that they kept running by, so they had the generator to fund this battleshopping nightmare.
Still doesn't sound unfair?
They can easily get multiple sets of iron each while I'm sitting here burning through my armour durability. Bowing wasn't an option anywhere either, as (You guessed it!) the teammate kept interfering.

Still not convinced?
Imagine it like this: You're taking on a team of two players, each in roughly equal gear. The fight went pretty well so far and one of them has broken a piece or two of their armour. Suddenly, he goes by a tier 3 diamond gen & gets the 10 diamonds to purchase a helmet and boots. 10 diamonds takes ~25 seconds to spawn, so it takes effectively 25 seconds to get 2 whole pieces of iron armour (which mind you, take roughly 150 solid hits to break)
In the time that I could break a piece of their armour while dealing with two of them, it'd take me at least a minute to go through even a helmet. And then they can easily replace that by walking over a diamond gen? Not fair at all if you ask me.

A few ways to solve this problem:
  • Adding a shopping cooldown while in combat, meaning you'd only be able to shop x amount of times per 5 or so minutes. Every "times shopped" is counted from when you open the GUI and buy an item. If you close the villager GUI, you'll be left with x remaining times to shop. I wouldn't put it in chat purely for aesthetic reasons, and it's not like it'll be all too important in fights that don't have anything to do with battleshopping. Once you're out of "times to shop", you'll be notified in chat saying something along the lines of: "You have to wait 5 minutes before shopping again!"
    All of this applies to players that are in combat. Players will no longer be in combat if: Player has not been hit in the past 30 or so seconds, or if the player has killed the one who has combat tagged them last.

Problems I see with this one revolve around rushing and simple shopping for basic things like steak or blocks may occur. I'm not the biggest fan of this system, as I prefer one I'll be mentioning later in the thread.
    -Arrows could definitely be a problem if someone's camping your island. This would put those who don't battleshop at an awkward situation despite the whole "this shouldn't effect people who don't battleshop" theme I'm going for. Possible fix could be to only count melee towards your combat tagging.

• Moving villagers closer to ledges, but the villager has to be facing mid to assure you that you can (primarily) only be shot/knocked off if people are attacking you from on your own island.
    None mentioned yet

• Force players to use the old shopping GUI with a cooldown per item while under combat. Same combat tag system can be used as the one mentioned two points above.
    None mentioned yet

• Close the villager GUI when a player is attacked by arrow or melee.
    -Players punching you if you need to buy a pickaxe for example, would be incredibly annoying to deal with.
In case you're still not convinced, here's a question: Have you ever dealt with this problem, to the point where 3 or 4 out of 4 major reasons are in play?
Small disclaimer: This will barely effect the players who aren't what I consider as battleshopping (explanation is above). This will only effect people who are battleshopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capitan

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Eggwars is fun and balanced (to a degree) right now, but there's a single extremely frustrating problem: Shopping. Shopping in the middle of a fight, to be exact, I'll be calling this Battleshopping in the rest of this thread.

Well you see, I typically play OP half health as my main mode for personal reasons. Although it's likely that you can kill someone while shopping in this mode, that's not always the case due to this occurring because of four major reasons:
-Good players will know the shop layout pretty well and won't have to spend much time
-Strong armour

All of these things were a problem in a game I had just lost due to battleshopping. Doesn't this sound unfair already?
Well, if not, here's more: The villager is in a spot where you wouldn't be able to bow the player off, so bowing wasn't an option. Even worse, if I'm critting, the teammate can just shoot me with a punch bow to knock me over the 1-block-high "wall" around the villager, putting me really close to the void.
There was also a tier 3 diamond gen that they kept running by, so they had the generator to fund this battleshopping nightmare.
They can easily get multiple sets of iron each while I'm sitting here burning through my armour durability. Bowing wasn't an option anywhere either, as (You guessed it!) the teammate kept interfering.

Still not convinced?
Imagine it like this: You're taking on a team of two players, each in roughly equal gear. The fight went pretty well so far and one of them has broken a piece or two of their armour. Suddenly, he goes by a tier 3 diamond gen & gets the 10 diamonds to purchase a helmet and boots. 10 diamonds takes ~25 seconds to spawn, so it takes effectively 25 seconds to get 2 whole pieces of iron armour (which mind you, take roughly 150 solid hits to break)
In the time that I could break a piece of their armour while dealing with two of them, it'd take me at least a minute to go through even a helmet. And then they can easily replace that by walking over a diamond gen? Not fair at all if you ask me.

• Adding a shopping cooldown while in combat, meaning you'd only be able to shop x amount of times per 5 or so minutes. Every "times shopped" is counted from when you open the GUI and buy an item. If you close the villager GUI, you'll be left with x remaining times to shop. I wouldn't put it in chat purely for aesthetic reasons, and it's not like it'll be all too important in fights that don't have anything to do with battleshopping. Once you're out of "times to shop", you'll be notified in chat saying something along the lines of: "You have to wait 5 minutes before shopping again!"
    All of this applies to players that are in combat. Players will no longer be in combat if: Player has not been hit in the past 30 or so seconds, or if the player has killed the one who has combat tagged them last.

Problems I see with this one revolve around rushing and simple shopping for basic things like steak or blocks may occur. I'm not the biggest fan of this system, as I prefer one I'll be mentioning later in the thread.

• Moving villagers closer to ledges, but the villager has to be facing mid to assure you that you can (primarily) only be shot/knocked off if people are attacking you from on your own island.

• Force players to use the old shopping GUI with a cooldown per item while under combat. Same combat tag system can be used as the one mentioned two points above.

In case you're still not convinced, here's a question: Have you ever dealt with this problem, to the point where 3 or 4 out of 4 major reasons are in play?
Small disclaimer: This will barely effect the players who aren't what I consider as battleshopping (explanation is above). This will only effect people who are battleshopping.

So I cant buy a e pearl to escape or replace armor? This is a VERY bad suggestion.
This would ruin the game.

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
www.cubecraft.net
So I cant buy a e pearl to escape or replace armor? This is a VERY bad suggestion.
So you wan't me to stay for long enough to have enough diamonds to get and ender pearl and make an escape?
By that time, your armour would've been beaten to a pulp. And besides that, it doesn't even solve this problem at all. In fact, they'll be able to gear up as well while you're recovering from the fight, and there's nothing stopping them from battleshopping again. The problem still exists.
(ps: Am I correct in assuming you haven't dealt with a situation like this before?)

And also, please do explain how this will ruin the game.

Reactions: CommunistCactus

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
Then if someone shoots you from a far distance you lose shop use
It is not very fair to do that since placing blocks around the villager is an ordeal more difficult then not at all
Also might I remind you about people who punch bow you off
Yeah this is better for you if it doesn't close
Since if they are persistent enough then you might knock them off by the time they hit escape normally

Melee I can agree with though

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
So you wan't me to stay for long enough to have enough diamonds to get and ender pearl and make an escape?
By that time, your armour would've been beaten to a pulp. And besides that, it doesn't even solve this problem at all. In fact, they'll be able to gear up as well while you're recovering from the fight, and there's nothing stopping them from battleshopping again. The problem still exists.
(ps: Am I correct in assuming you haven't dealt with a situation like this before?)

And also, please do explain how this will ruin the game.

I gave you good enough reason.
This is stupid that I cant shop when I need to the most!

OnePointEight.exe

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2017
Battle shopping doesn't exist in 1.8 silly plebs.

If anyone has ever played factions you would know about combatlogging. Instead of combatlogging maybe add combat shopping. If the player has been hit in the past 5 seconds then there is a cooldown to use the shop.

Reactions: Gainfullterror

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
www.cubecraft.net
I gave you good enough reason.
This is stupid that I cant shop when I need to the most!
So:
you:"you should get an ender pearl!"
me:" I could, but this takes a lot of time and I'd need to farm resources in the middle of the fight & my armour would break before I'd have enough resources to buy one. Aside from that, leaving will only allow them to get even more geared and there's nothing stopping them from doing this again"
you:"uh... my answer was reason enough.... you should get an ender pearl!"

Well pardon me if I'm missing something, but did you even read my comment? Did you read every single minuscule detail in the entire thread?

AFreakingCookie (Hank)

Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2016

-Strong armour

Still not convinced?

I don’t agree nor disagree with this. @_The13thDoctor_ has a good point, and if you are at an island for a long period of time then ou can easily get the diamonds for the enderpearl. I agree with this because it is annoying when it happens, but at the same time, it is how the game is played. Don’t take this as “I disagree” take this as “change my POV on this topic a bit more”.
Good thread.

Reactions: Priley

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland

-Strong armour

Still not convinced?

You're pretty much in combat all the time, as soon as you get shot you won't be able to use the villager

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
Relevance to thread?
I think it would help to have correct 1.12 armor calculations. Full armored players would take more damage per hit making it harder to shop during a fight. Still wouldn't completely solve this problem.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland

"Stop being rude"
"There is no need to be rude"
Those are your words..

I actually disagree with this suggestion, you're pretty much in combat all the time, as soon as you'd get shot you won't be able to use the villager ;c

Reactions: Lezappen

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
So:
you:"you should get an ender pearl!"
me:" I could, but this takes a lot of time and I'd need to farm resources in the middle of the fight & my armour would break before I'd have enough resources to buy one. Aside from that, leaving will only allow them to get even more geared and there's nothing stopping them from doing this again"
you:"uh... my answer was reason enough.... you should get an ender pearl!"

Well pardon me if I'm missing something, but did you even read my comment? Did you read every single minuscule detail in the entire thread?

I told you why. It's a bad suggestion. I'm not going to play a game and then get attacked and NOT be able to buy things. It's silly.

"Stop being rude"
"There is no need to be rude"
Those are your words..

I actually disagree with this suggestion, you're pretty much in combat all the time, as soon as you'd get shot you won't be able to use the villager ;c

I'm not being rude. I'm stating my opinion. It is a bad idea. And I don't support it. Don't quote me on that because that is something different. And no I'm not bringing it up here. You know what happened and what you did so please stop with that.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
I told you why. It's a bad suggestion. I'm not going to play a game and then get attacked and NOT be able to buy things. It's silly.

I'm not being rude. I'm stating my opinion. It is a bad idea. And I don't support it. Don't quote me on that because that is something different. And no I'm not bringing it up here. You know what happened and what you did so please stop with that.
I just think you could've said that a little nicer, but okay :p Let's stay on topic

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
Oh yeah but when we state our opinion?
"PlEaSe DoN't Be RudE k ThAnK yOu VeRy mUcH"

Reactions: OnePointEight.exe
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Xi1m wrote on Mivke's profile.
hapi birthdasy!
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on UnfWasTaken's profile.
Welcome to the forums!:D I hope you will enjoy your stay here ^-^
Eli wrote on Pineapple's profile.
Hi Applepine
Just got a perfect game of Bedwars Duos. Really wish I was recording :/
IMG_5334.png
Eli wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Happy Birthday!!!!
Top Bottom