Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeberator

Apr 20, 2016
Still, what game needs 32GB of RAM
I already addressed this in the post you are replying to:
LeeTheENTP said:
I didn't say he'd need 32GB of RAM now. In fact, 16 is overkill for most purposes

and that RAM still might not have better frequencies, you have never tested those 2 sets to see which one is better.
Are you legitimately trying to claim that 1600MHz DDR3 RAM has a chance at being better than 2400MHz DDR4? Clock-for-clock, DDR4 is always better, and the RAM I picked out is clocked higher. Will this matter in games? Not by much, but why spend more money on something that's slower?

I don't think RAM matters unless you have under 8GB.
For certain tasks it definitely matters, but for modern gaming 8GB is enough (though newer games are starting to make use of more).

My brother's computer has 16GB of 6 year old RAM which runs games like DiRT Rally on ultra settings with great performance, and I have never seen it under perform in any game
6 years ago we still had DDR3, so I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with this.

In a lot of benchmarks the 4790k performs better than the 6700k which is slightly cheaper even if the 6700k is newer technology.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=1543
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2275&cmp[]=2565
http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-vs-core-i7-4790k-benchmarks-performance-leaked/

GPUs will always run quite hot but you can still do something to keep them cool.
That is a restatement of what I said. The only thing you can do to further cool a single GPU in a case that comes with 4 fans is to put it under water.

I am just trying to save money with the PC Mate motherboard and I know it might be bad for overclocking, if he has a CPU that good I don't know why he would still need to overclock in the future when most games only require a good i3 or i5 these days and the chances are that that processor will break before he needs to overclock it if he does and in the case that it is still working when he needs to overclock it he could just get a new motherboard.
1. You're suggesting he spend 65 quid now on a board he will need to spend another 130 quid to replace when he wants the otherwise free performance boost that is overclocking. That doesn't make any sense. He'd be saving money in the long run by just getting the good board now.
2. Depending on the game, modern AAA titles require a minimum of an i3 or i5 these days. That means he'll want something much nicer to run the game at ultra settings. A quad-core i7 will do that for the next couple of years, but after that he will need to overclock if he wants to keep playing at high settings.
3. A processor will only break if you install it funny, pump too much voltage into it, or not cool it well enough. If a CPU isn't DOA, it won't just randomly die.

My brothers also use the exact same motherboard as I suggested and an Intel Pentium G3258 which they have overclocked to 4.3Ghz easily without any trouble and in the future and TheGrimCreeper probably won't even have to overclock his processor that much if he even does.
The G3258 is a budget overclocking CPU and the Z97 PC MATE is a budget overclocking motherboard- they make a great pair. But, the 6700K and 4790K have significantly higher power requirements and require higher quality components in order to achieve a stable overclock, especially considering both CPUs hit above or near your referenced 4.3GHz frequency at stock settings. There is no sense in spending money on a budget board now if you know you will want to replace it later in order to get a free performance boost through overclocking.

I don't see your points and I know that there is a point where your extra cooling can loose efficiency once there are a lot of fans so why use that fan when you can get a cheaper fan with higher CFM and good lighting, I am referring to the Cooler Master Sickleflow which is cheap, has lighting and a 74CFM cooling flow even if the cooling limit has been reached.
I see you did not watch the video. After 2 or 3 fans, the temperature improvement from adding more fans is negligible. The case OP wants to use comes with 4 good fans already, so why did you add more fans in your build?

You are being a bit toxic, it is annoying so please stop and let me continue with my ideas and I will let you continue with yours.
I am not being toxic. You seem to be offended by me trying to point out the mistakes you made in your build so you can get better at creating them. If that's truly making you feel offended, then I believe your source of conflict runs deeper than this discussion. You do not have to listen to me if you don't want to. But if you don't, there is an entire Internet of people and benchmarks who back me up.

Last edited:

Miles_Plays_MC

Jun 9, 2016
I already addressed this in the post you are replying to:

Are you legitimately trying to claim that 1600MHz DDR3 RAM has a chance at being better than 2400MHz DDR4? Clock-for-clock, DDR4 is always better, and the RAM I picked out is clocked higher. Will this matter in games? Not by much, but why spend more money on something that's slower?

For certain tasks it definitely matters, but for modern gaming 8GB is enough (though newer games are starting to make use of more).

6 years ago we still had DDR3, so I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with this.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=1543
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2275&cmp[]=2565
http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-vs-core-i7-4790k-benchmarks-performance-leaked/

That is a restatement of what I said. The only thing you can do to further cool a single GPU in a case that comes with 4 fans is to put it under water.

1. You're suggesting he spend 65 quid now on a board he will need to spend another 130 quid to replace when he wants the otherwise free performance boost that is overclocking. That doesn't make any sense. He'd be saving money in the long run by just getting the good board now.
2. Depending on the game, modern AAA titles require a minimum of an i3 or i5 these days. That means he'll want something much nicer to run the game at ultra settings. A quad-core i7 will do that for the next couple of years, but after that he will need to overclock if he wants to keep playing at high settings.
3. A processor will only break if you install it funny, pump too much voltage into it, or not cool it well enough. If a CPU isn't DOA, it won't just randomly die.

The G3258 is a budget overclocking CPU and the Z97 PC MATE is a budget overclocking motherboard- they make a great pair. But, the 6700K and 4790K have significantly higher power requirements and require higher quality components in order to achieve a stable overclock, especially considering both CPUs hit above or near your referenced 4.3GHz frequency at stock settings. There is no sense in spending money on a budget board now if you know you will want to replace it later in order to get a free performance boost through overclocking.

I see you did not watch the video. After 2 or 3 fans, the temperature improvement from adding more fans is negligible. The case OP wants to use comes with 4 good fans already, so why did you add more fans in your build?

I am not being toxic. You seem to be offended by me trying to point out the mistakes you made in your build so you can get better at creating them. If that's truly making you feel offended, then I believe your source of conflict runs deeper than this discussion. You do not have to listen to me if you don't want to. But if you don't, there is an entire Internet of people and benchmarks who back me up.
You are being insanely annoying and there is a reason I said "alot" of benchmarks, the 4790k is better at some things while the 6700k is better at others, the 4790k is cheaper on most online technology shops and you are not trying to make me correct my mistake, this seems like harrassment to me and I am insanely annoyed by it, I just tried to help someone out then you start annoying me because of it and you are acting like you're superior, you also added fans to your build, I can question you about that. He can use a different motherboard to what I suggestion but I just wanted to keep that model cost efficient and I am not sure where you got the idea that a decent overclocking motherboard will cost 130 pounds, that is something like 185USD, I know there are motherboards which cost $500+ but surely prices will lower in the future as the technology in them gets older and easier to get. There is also a difference in saying someone can do something and suggesting it, you said I "suggested" that he buys a new motherboard in the future, I did not do that and you are also saying that I can use a processor for 25 years before it breaking, everything breaks or dies. I am also implying that you do not need great RAM or expensive RAM for it to perform well because maybe the RAM I use is just better value. I will not reply to anything you say later because you are being insanely annoying and stubborn in my opinion so don't respond to this if possible or try to get attention from me. I wanted to help someone and you are annoying me for it.

Grimmay

Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2016
a Pleb Family
www.youtube.com
Hold off on buying a GPU. The Radeon RX 480 will be launching in about two weeks and will be better than the GTX 980 for around $200/£200.

As for the rest of the build, I made a few adjustments:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£127.54 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£53.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£96.79 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£92.70 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS UK 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.48 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (£20.32 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: Asus VX248H 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£145.03 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VS248HR 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£105.89 @ CCL Computers)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£41.89 @ Amazon UK)
Other: RX 480 (£200.00)
Total: £1179.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 01:11 BST+0100

Changes I made:
  • Better, "tier-one" power supply (CX series PSUs should not be used in anything other than budget builds)
  • Better CPU
  • Better (and cheaper) monitor
Literally, before i purchased my monitor, i saw it was not wall mountable, and so made a quick decision to change to the Benq 24 inch monitor. About the cpu ill have to think about it, and with the gpu im really not a AMD fan, just personal preference. Sorry, thanks for the help though :-D

Leeberator

Apr 20, 2016
You are being insanely annoying and there is a reason I said "alot" of benchmarks, the 4790k is better at some things while the 6700k is better at others, the 4790k is cheaper on most online technology shops and you are not trying to make me correct my mistake, this seems like harrassment to me and I am insanely annoyed by it, I just tried to help someone out then you start annoying me because of it and you are acting like you're superior, you also added fans to your build, I can question you about that. He can use a different motherboard to what I suggestion but I just wanted to keep that model cost efficient and I am not sure where you got the idea that a decent overclocking motherboard will cost 130 pounds, that is something like 185USD, I know there are motherboards which cost $500+ but surely prices will lower in the future as the technology in them gets older and easier to get. There is also a difference in saying someone can do something and suggesting it, you said I "suggested" that he buys a new motherboard in the future, I did not do that and you are also saying that I can use a processor for 25 years before it breaking, everything breaks or dies. I am also implying that you do not need great RAM or expensive RAM for it to perform well because maybe the RAM I use is just better value. I will not reply to anything you say later because you are being insanely annoying and stubborn in my opinion so don't respond to this if possible or try to get attention from me. I wanted to help someone and you are annoying me for it.
1. The 6700K is better than the 4790K in almost every benchmark. If you don't believe me, you can look it up yourself. The benchmarks I linked were the result of about five minutes of searching online, so it's safe to say that what I linked is just the tip of the ice berg.
2. I didn't add fans to my build; OP included one extra fan in his build and I didn't see much of a reason to remove it. It's definitely not necessary, but it does provide some case lighting.
3. My household has several systems from the 80's and 90's that still work. People buy used 486's on eBay to make fully-functional retro computers. PC components only stop working if you don't maintain them. Keep them cool and away from high humidity, and they'll keep on running.
4. I proved that the RAM you picked is not a "better value." It's slower, costs more, and prohibits easy expandability.
5. I'm not acting like I'm "superior." I have more experience in this subject matter and am trying to help you be better at making part lists.

I think it's clear at this point that you are not mature enough to handle criticism. You pass off opinions and evidence differing from your own as harassment, and it's evident that nothing I can say will change that.

Literally, before i purchased my monitor, i saw it was not wall mountable, and so made a quick decision to change to the Benq 24 inch monitor. About the cpu ill have to think about it, and with the gpu im really not a AMD fan, just personal preference. Sorry, thanks for the help though :-D
The monitor choice is up to you, but try to steer clear of monitors with high response times (more than 5-6ms leads to less crisp picture quality). As for the CPU and GPU, the most performance for your money will be found in the 6700K/RX 480 combo. If you want to stick with Nvidia, your best option in that price range is the GTX 970, which is not as good (recent leaks show that the RX 480 is better than the GTX 980 in Fire Strike). Nvidia does not yet have any midrange options available for the new Pascal architecture, so if you wish to stick with Nvidia I'd advise you either get a GTX 970 or wait to build this PC.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. :)

Leeberator

Apr 20, 2016
If you want some of the latest and greatest of what Intel and Nvidia have to offer (and don't want to overclock), here is probably the best you can get for your money:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£69.85 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card (£409.43 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.50 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1091.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-14 22:38 BST+0100

Features:
  • Skylake i7
  • High-quality H170 motherboard with built-in USB 3.1
  • DDR4 RAM
  • EVGA GTX 1070 (in my experience, EVGA has the best customer service in the PC industry)
  • Red and black theme like in your original build

And if you do want to overclock (even later down the road), this is your best bet for your budget:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£260.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£90.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£92.70 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS UK 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.78 @ CCL Computers)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: RX 480 (£200.00)
Total: £1035.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-14 22:43 BST+0100

You can always swap the RX 480 for a GTX 970 or 1060 (when that comes out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Latest profile posts

MrTommy wrote on Eli's profile.
So ypy finally admitting im good at something :D
Screenshot_20240425_224822_Samsung Internet.jpg
Reesle wrote on The NightGhost02's profile.
Happy Birthday!! 🥳
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
Thjis wrote on CubeCraft's profile.
Happy Bday Cube Bedrock!
ToonBer wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Gefeliciteerd eitje!
Top Bottom