Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
Already posted some of this on my profile page, felt like adding stuff to it though so here I am.
I've spent around 150 hours on cubecrafts' skyblock, made it to the current final island and completed most of its challenges. I think it's fair to say that I have enough experience to conduct some criticism. Here I go

Cube's take on "floaty islands minigame" must be one of the most lazy forms of skyblock I've ever played, lazy in the same way game developers put in way too many secret and hidden collectibles into their games to elongate the "estimated/average playtime. (Donkey Kong games are a prime example of this).

And while Cubecraft's skyblock actually doesn't have many grindy (side)quests at all, they actually went one step further, enacting quests that are literally only completable by... doing nothing. Obligating your players to wait days, weeks even in order to progress without giving them anything meaningful to do in the mean time is soooo lazy and dull.... I can't even. Like who approved this?

The reason behind skyblock being like this is obviously to make the game last longer, and alledgedly to make money off of it once "boosts" are released. But hey, plot twist, whenever players have NOTHING to do in your game, they'll get bored super fast and leave skyblock before the boosts will even be worth it to buy.

It's such a shame because aside from the insane lazy take on the waiting time for crops and generators, the skyblock is actually pretty enjoyable. Spawners work nicely, the quests are well thought out and the dungeons are pretty challenging.

I'm a big skyblock fan and my interest on cube's died out within a pair of weeks, and I played through it really fast. The average player is probably still stuck around Jungle/Birch island, meaning that their progression is still somewhat quick, keeping the game fun. Trust me, all these players will leave skyblock the second they see a 4 day waiting period on a Dark Oak tree to grow and realise they need more than a week to complete all the sugar cane quests.
The game's descent is already noticable. The current player count of the server is 5.500 players (2 o' clock, GMT+1), which is way more than it was a few weeks back (all praise Covid). However, the playercount in skyblock has dipped down a whopping 30% already.

You need, to change, the waiting times. The sidequests are too easy and too repetetive to keep players playing while waiting for their trees to grow. Players don't leave because they don't like the concept, or get frustrated... no, they leave because there's literally nothing to play for. And once players go on a 4 day break each inbetween playsessions, their interests will shift over to other things, leaving them to barely ever return.

I'm sorry but the mid to late game in skyblock has one of the most lazy and bad game designs I've ever come across. Your game will be dead within weeks if you don't change this.

TNR_Mr_MYU

Mar 13, 2015
Behind my PC
www.youtube.com
I can agree on this in so many levels. Currently on 213 hours. The waiting time on those trees is just absolute garbage. It’s just flat out garbage. Waiting 4 days is just broken. And yeah, just like you said, there is nothing to do in the meantime. Right now, we are just saving up money so we can finally upgrade above level 5.

Grinding out money is also so damm boring. We make up to 10mil an hour for our mob grinder, just by doing absolutely nothing at all. And I’m not even counting in all the other crops we got. Up to 7k carrots on a field and a field filled with 3456 sugarcane (which I’m expanding). For what you may ask? We planned to mass buy quartz, but when will that update release? Next week? Two weeks? A month? Even longer? We get no information about it. Right now, I’m just being online, just to AFK my farm.

We really need something to do in the time we need to wait on those Dark Oak trees. You will lose players due to this crap mechanic of grow time. There isn’t even a leaderboard to compete against others. Other players suggested so many things that need to be added. Trading items, trading gold, selling those crap arrows, visiting other players islands.

Also the mechanics of selling items is just stupid too, clicking on all the items one by one. WHY! Just make it like a shift right click to sell all the items. Same goes for buying items, make it shift right click to buy the maximum amount.

EDIT, ADD:
Same for emptying out chests, how did you brake that?! What happened to shift double click to empty a chest? I can click really fast, but the server keeps kicking me because I'm clicking to fast? Just remove that crap or fix your chest mechanics.

TheBrownster

Forum Expert
Jun 10, 2016
A Pasture
Same for emptying out chests, how did you brake that?! What happened to shift double click to empty a chest? I can click really fast, but the server keeps kicking me because I'm clicking to fast? Just remove that crap or fix your chest mechanics.
That is likely based on your client. I’m able to shift double click items perfectly fine. Try switching what version you play on and see if that works (I’m playing on 1.10.2).

For the tree quests, I think some changes would be very beneficial. One idea would be to drastically reduce the growth time, but then also increase the amount of wood collected (either as the main quest or another side quest). Something like 10k or more. That way players are actively collecting but they still have to play for quite some time before being able to advance.
Another thought (which might be part of the boost update) would be to have island wide upgrades. Like you can submit 1k logs to decrease the growth timer by 10%. The cost increases for later levels, but it gives you something to do with all the resources you collect. This could be added for all crops and generators, each requiring their own resource.

Reactions: TNR_Mr_MYU

FunnyLucky

Feb 21, 2020
Please understand that creating quality, bug-less content takes tremendous effort and time. I'm sure the developers understand that they struck a goldmine with skyblock and are trying to make more islands and quests for you, tryhards

MeggalBozale

Novice Member
Dec 9, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a rage post, but I actually 100% agree with this. The wait times are ridiculous, and even cactus wasn't safe?! Bruh? An easier way to go about this would have been to have shorter waiting times, but make the quests have bigger requirements. That gives the player the feeling that they are getting alot, but in proportion to now, it's roughly the same.

Ex.
It costs 10x the cacti to finish its quest, and they sell for 1/10. However, the speed of cacti growth is 5m and not 50. They might be worth less and you need more, but it feels like you're getting more out of it!

(I'll make a suggestion thread on this later)

Reactions: TheBrownster

Divergy

Feb 29, 2020
current playtime 166h

completely agree. rn im just buying pig spawners and safing up money for nothing. there is no purpose. just grinding, grinding and even more grinding. i am still going to grind for completely no reason, but if cubecraft is not going to make a major difference so we have a purpose i am going to quit skyblock

Reactions: Eli and Jevmen

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
But how to change? the whole economy is arround the trees and waiting, if is cahnged too many things will be broken,
waht to implement, what to change?
once you have the full diamond you ended the progresion, the new iland dungeon is fun but the experience is short, when you destroy the generators and add it to your farms.
I only want a elytra to complete the game.

and i cant decorate, most of the blocks are missing and wood is EXPENSIVE

the whole idea of a skyblock is limited, when you end your minecraft world what you do?, personal projects and gigant farms. That personal projects are cool, is the objetive of minecraft, in this skyblock we have a lot of limitations, we cant do what we want, just follow the quests and wait, and WHY the idea of using wood as a money source.

And update quick, when you complete a game and you play another thing and the game recive a update you are already bored and dont usualy want to come back.

Gregg Baeten

Mar 7, 2020
i think the best way to keep skyblock holding is to make nether a completely different experience.like completely different instead of waiting and afk all day make it so you always have something to do or implement a lot more side quests

Lukadcf

Mar 15, 2020
It has to be something with the server. Because it works just fine in Singleplayer and in other servers. Playing on version 1.15.2
switch to 1.11. from 1.12+ the double click to get everything out of a chest is broken. i always switch when im selling, like 2 times per day

Rawrbin

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2019
the Eastside of America
i think the best way to keep skyblock holding is to make nether a completely different experience.like completely different instead of waiting and afk all day make it so you always have something to do or implement a lot more side quests
I agree to making the Nether a completely other game experience, but taking away the wait-time is in my opinion not something I'd really like.
However, I'd indeed think changing the wait-time is a good thing, taking it away entirely would be "bad".
But keep in mind... multipliers might come!
Let's see how these involve!

Reactions: Gregg Baeten

Goefy

Forum Expert
Dec 10, 2019
Å
I totally agree with this. I stopped playing Skyblock for those reasons. It's so annoying to wait so long for a tree to grow.

Last edited:
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

2v2 bedwars sucked so bad it made me a skywars main again
Reesle wrote on tanjaroea677's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎈
Top Bottom