• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

TheQueenWaddle

Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2016
Lets put it this way. Players are swearing in Chinese and either staff members or players doesn't understand what they are saying, what would you do? Staff can't confirm if a Chinese player is swearing when they don't understand it. They can't even google translate it. The words that you can use now is understandable for other players and you actually have to deal with it.
So players can't speak in Chinese because the staff don't know enough to understand it?
B.S. You're basically chasing away a huge player base. And can't Google translate? There's an app where you can draw in the strokes and it will give a list of options for what the "English spelling" would be. Of course it's easy for you to say that this isn't necessary, considering you speak English as a first language (I'm assuming).

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
University of Eastern Colorado
So players can't speak in Chinese because the staff don't know enough to understand it?
B.S. You're basically chasing away a huge player base. And can't Google translate? There's an app where you can draw in the strokes and it will give a list of options for what the "English spelling" would be. Of course it's easy for you to say that this isn't necessary, considering you speak English as a first language (I'm assuming).
2wO1E4D.png
l6blFbL.png
Special Google Translate input ^^^

Another thing that bugs me: "Some of the letters you pasted are not allowed!"

First of all, these are not letters (well, except Greek and Latin and Vietnamese letters), and secondly, what made you think I pasted them?

Zrathex

Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2016
MARS WITHOUT OXYGEN :|
youtube.com
Whut? ;-; Do you think staff have time to sit down and write on a app to translate to chinese? no they don't :P They need to take care of a lot reports and by them sitting down and trying to figure out the swearing words in chinese wont make it go faster.

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
You can use them to bypass the swear filter. But as the swear filter is pretty much useless, I don't see why not to just leave the special characters there... Not like anyone ever abused them...

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Whut? ;-; Do you think staff have time to sit down and write on a app to translate to chinese? no they don't :p They need to take care of a lot reports and by them sitting down and trying to figure out the swearing words in chinese wont make it go faster.
Solution? Hire Chinese (and other language) speaking staff!

@Dai_Matsumoto speaks Japanese so that's a huge bonus :D.

Not having enough time to translate is also not an excuse to just block characters. It just gives the feeling that they're lazy (sorry no offense) and like taking the easy solution than the long term solution that is beneficial to all players. As I've said, players can include pictures of Google Translate if staff really don't want to have to go through the process.
You can use them to bypass the swear filter. But as the swear filter is pretty much useless, I don't see why not to just leave the special characters there... Not like anyone ever abused them...
I agree. Let's pretend that "apple" is a bad word ( :p horrible example but whatever). And let's say that someone tried to say that. It'll just say "You are not allowed to say this!" So the player will try to bypass it (@pple). Well, sooner or later they'll make it. And if the developers try to patch that, sooner or later it'd be pretty much impossible to say anything, and the purpose of the reports section would become useless. Simply blocking the original word is good enough. If they bypass that, they'll pay for it, no need to increase the security.

Reactions: Dai_Matsumoto

TheQueenWaddle

Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2016
Whut? ;-; Do you think staff have time to sit down and write on a app to translate to chinese? no they don't :p They need to take care of a lot reports and by them sitting down and trying to figure out the swearing words in chinese wont make it go faster.
I don't expect ANY staff to sit down and translate every single non-English sentence. You can make the same argument for Spanish; not every staff member knows Spanish from memory, yet players can communicate with it, an could potentially bypass the filter. What are the staff to do? Translate every Spanish sentence that pops up? No.

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
I don't expect ANY staff to sit down and translate every single non-English sentence. You can make the same argument for Spanish; not every staff member knows Spanish from memory, yet players can communicate with it, an could potentially bypass the filter. What are the staff to do? Translate every Spanish sentence that pops up? No.
Meh I mean, it's never too late to have an Italian staff member eh?

_
I
I
I
I
V

Reactions: TheQueenWaddle

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Lets put it this way. Players are swearing in Chinese and either staff members or players doesn't understand what they are saying, what would you do? Staff can't confirm if a Chinese player is swearing when they don't understand it. They can't even google translate it. The words that you can use now is understandable for other players and you actually have to deal with it.
"Let's put it this way. Players are swearing in Chinese Spanish/Dutch and either staff members or players don't understand what they are saying, what would you do. Staff can't confirm if a Chinese Spanish/Dutch player is swearing when they don't understand it. It takes time to google translate it. The words you can use now is understandable for other players and you actually have to deal with it."

"Do you think staff have time to sit down and type on an app to translate words to Chinese Spanish/Dutch? No they don't :P. They need to take care of a lot of reports and by them sitting down and trying to figure out the swearing words in Chinese Spanish/Dutch won't make it go faster."

Do you get my point? If you're going to block languages with non-Latin alphabets, you might as well block languages that do use the Latin alphabet (except English) because staff don't understand them as well (well, at least not always).

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
I can read [chinese characters] and the [han yu pin yin] - I can also read a bit of [malay] if needed but it can be a bit hard for me as I dropped out of school.
Chinese is my mother tongue (Singaporeans all have their own mother tongue depending on race) so if staff needs help with Chinese reports, they can always direct it to me.
If we need help with other languages, we can always ask for help from other staff that knows the language.
As for the special characters, I guess it's a way to stop players from bypassing swear words though it doesn't really stop it completely..

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
I can read [chinese characters] and the [han yu pin yin] - I can also read a bit of [malay] if needed but it can be a bit hard for me as I dropped out of school.
Chinese is my mother tongue (Singaporeans all have their own mother tongue depending on race) so if staff needs help with Chinese reports, they can always direct it to me.
If we need help with other languages, we can always ask for help from other staff that knows the language.
As for the special characters, I guess it's a way to stop players from bypassing swear words though it doesn't really stop it completely..
It dosent people will get by with even leaving out certain letters such as vowels or switching letter such as replacing an s with the letter z

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
As a matter of fact, I doubt if swear filters even help reduce swearing. While blocking the original word itself helps (lets players know that the word is innapropriate), blocking bypass versions won't. It makes sweares take more time to swear, but it'll always get past.

Dai_Matsumoto

Forum Expert
Oct 20, 2013
Japan
If we block the swear words it'll mean that the players shouldn't be allowed to say those words. By bypassing the filters, it shows that the player is willing to go against the rules even if they know that the rules are "no swearing". This already gives us a reason to have a swear filter. Also, by having swear filters, it stops players from saying "you don't have a filter so doesn't that mean i can swear?" and other sorts of obnoxious comments.

Not having enough time to translate is also not an excuse to just block characters. It just gives the feeling that they're lazy (sorry no offense) and like taking the easy solution than the long term solution that is beneficial to all players. As I've said, players can include pictures of Google Translate if staff really don't want to have to go through the process.

About this. I have no idea how the dutch language works (I know kip, but....thats about it) just like many other staff members don't know how japanese works. By having the filters blocking the languages not often used, it helps the other staff members understand whats going on in the chat. Other then that, I have no clue why the letters are blocked. Sorry :p (btw thanks for the recognition)

JeannasGaming

Oct 1, 2016
Have u ever had that dream where u get a free rank, and when u wake up u think it is real, but what is REAL is ur hospital bill for ur broken hand u got punching ur wall because it was just a dream

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
If we block the swear words it'll mean that the players shouldn't be allowed to say those words. By bypassing the filters, it shows that the player is willing to go against the rules even if they know that the rules are "no swearing". This already gives us a reason to have a swear filter. Also, by having swear filters, it stops players from saying "you don't have a filter so doesn't that mean i can swear?" and other sorts of obnoxious comments.

About this. I have no idea how the dutch language works (I know kip, but....thats about it) just like many other staff members don't know how japanese works. By having the filters blocking the languages not often used, it helps the other staff members understand whats going on in the chat. Other then that, I have no clue why the letters are blocked. Sorry :p (btw thanks for the recognition)
I just said blocking the original word itself is good enough, as long as you don't go crazy with blocking everything. It's still a swear filter.
Have u ever had that dream where u get a free rank, and when u wake up u think it is real, but what is REAL is ur hospital bill for ur broken hand u got punching ur wall because it was just a dream
Stay on topic.
I think blocking characters like this does avoid spam and use of bad language. I personally would not be a fan if they took the block off
It doesn't help other than preventing certain languages be spoken and making it harder to communicate. Would you be a fan if they prevented people from speaking Spanish or Dutch?

Ellie Williams

Forum Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I think blocking characters like this does avoid spam and use of bad language. I personally would not be a fan if they took the block off
It does not prevent spam or bad language. Can't spam special characters? No problem! Spam regular characters! Can't bypass filter using special characters? No problem, bypass filter using regular characters (the only way to prevent swearing totally and utterly- as CubeCraft seems interested in doing- is to get rid of chat completely). Staff can't speak foreign languages? No problem! Just hire staff that do! It's not hard; just post a "hey, we are looking for <language> speaking players to join our staff team! Apply here: <link>" message on Twitter or somewhere else.
This is over 2 weeks old. @zDutchie Lock?
It is not. I specifically checked my calendar before posting. Only 12 days has passed, not 14.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Capitan wrote on Otherworld's profile.
♥️
Reesle wrote on lorilambthecoolgamer's profile.
Thanks for playing, that was fun!
I did end up winning that last game we joined after you had to go:
IMG_5324.png
Reesle wrote on ItsWilliam32's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🥳
Reesle wrote on FxVoidz's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Eli
The forums feel so slow on Sundays
Top Bottom