Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Qin Shihuangdi

Forum Expert
Nov 11, 2015
The Orange House
Recently @Jefsweatsgames made a great thread detailing the specifics of eggwars and some basic things to do. Now, I wanted to make a thread detailing more of the strategies used in eggwars. For most of the guide, I'll be using treehouse as it's my best map as well as the one I play the most often.

Part 1: Pre-Game

So, in generality the kit you pick will always be one of three. If you're someone who likes to go to mid and then attack (which I'll call delayed offensive throughout this guide) or someone who likes to play more defensive, you'll want to go with healer kit. If you're someone who's extremely aggressive and never goes to mid at all (like me), use money bags kit or debuffer. Don't use any other kits beside this - they're extremely situational and money bags, debuffer and healer are generally better for their purposes anyways.

Now for what team to choose: No matter what, never choose a team with a direct connection to mid. It's probably best to go for one that is one away from an island with a direct connection to mid.

Part 2: Early Game

This is the part where the guide divides between the two main strategies. Rushing will make up the vast majority of this guide, as it varies between maps more than building to mid. Note: Non-rushing strategies will always be at the lower half of the sub-sections.

Rushing: Main Maps (Medieval, Pizza, Storm, Toys, Fairground, Garden, Under da Sea, Dwarven, Magic, Oriental, Treehouse, Western, Mushrooms)

On these maps, if you're rushing a general guideline is to never touch mid. Period. Here's a map detailing what you should do with a standard team of four (Note: only follow this map if you're an above average player)

Basically, this map shows what you should do. The numbers are representative of skill level, with one being the bet and 4 being the worst. Note: This might only work if you know the people you're playing with, but many people do that anyway.

Here's what you have to do. Note: this entire section of the guide will be exclusive to normal mode on treehouse. I'll likely post a modified section for some other maps and OP / hardcore mode later, but that's what I'm doing for now.

Now for what to actually do. As soon as the match starts, have your best player go straight to the closest iron generator. Have him grab all the iron on it and go straight to the shop. Buy a wood sword and spend the rest on blocks. Do not delay, get to blue as fast as you can. Speed bridging is almost essential here, if you don't you might not get there quick enough and will get killed. If you're speed bridging, you'll generally get to blue in 30 to 40 seconds. Ignore the people trying to get in your way and go straight for the egg - don't let them stop you. Once their egg is broken, go for as many kills as you can. If you drop below four hearts, it's a good strategy to try to place a few blocks that make a line at a curve along the edge of the island. Make one full loop around the island, and then turn around and knock the chasers off the edge. If you die, just go back with an axe and kill the remaining people. If you're more advanced, it's best to attack with just your best player, otherwise attack with two or three people if you're not as advanced. DO NOT GO TO BLUE IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WEAPON!!! Also, make sure that at the very beginning at least one player is defending - if someone gets away your egg is toast.

If, and only if, you're skilled enough to send just one player over to blue, send your second and third best players over to red. It might be a good idea to put them in leather armor if they're less skilled, but there's no need to put them in any additional gear. Make sure you get here within 80 seconds of the game starting, otherwise you might run into problems later. This should be very easy - just kill them off.

Rushing (Other Maps)

Rushing on other maps involves some use of mid. Generally, it's because it's simply impractical to not go to mid on any of these maps. For city and forest, just eliminate your two neighbors. Simple as that. Because it's a two player map, it's best to simply go with the middle team, split, and attack the others. If one of you dies, simply guard the bridge over. Most people will just charge at you, move to the side and simply knock them off.

For Instruments, Space, Kingdom, and Aztec, you'll always want to build directly to mid as there's no good reason to go directly to them. However, unlike when rushing do NOT build a straight bridge with a bit of an up-ramp at the end. Instead, build an arch bridge. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example:
upload_2017-5-23_20-7-20.png

Basically, once you're six blocks away from the island's edge take a left turn and build ten blocks to the left. Then go up, make a six block gap in the middle, then go back the way we came. Then go straight, speed build all the way to mid. If you;re chasing someone but are just outside range of hitting them, this bridge is great as if they try to bridge the gap you can catch up and hit them off and if they go around you can build yourself and get ahead of them, knocking them off. Or you could always throw out a last ditch suicide by jumping in between the gap, where you can't make the jump but can still hit them.
Then, on maps other then Aztec just attack the team that is closest to having a bridge to mid. Build up a bit and jump behind them. This requires a bit more skill than simple rushing, but it's not that difficult. Again, ignore people hitting you and simply go for the egg. However, this time it's advisable to carry an iron pickaxe and at least 20 extra blocks - along with 2 or 3 steak. Then kill them as last team.

If you don't rush on minions, Rome, or mansion that's pretty stupid. Just go full force in, find a way in. It doesn't even matter how you attack - just go straight for the egg and then kill as previously.

Now for teaparty. This is the ONE MAP you DO NOT WANT TO RUSH ON. I don't care how good you are, you're not going to win a 5 vs 1 against people severely outgearing you without running and singling or bowspamming (it can be done, it's just extremely hard). So, no matter what, just go straight to mid and get full iron and diamond sword. The only time you might want to rush is in hardcore mode, as iron gear is just super expensive in it.

Mid Rushing

This is pretty much the only other strategy you should be using at the beginning of the game. If you decide to rush mid, it's highly advised you still take out one of your neighbors (Except on maps like Aztec, obviously). From there, build straight to mid. If you decide to use your own island, make sure you use the aforementioned arch bridge above.

TIP: It's often a good idea to put an obsidian block two blocks up above the bridge. As a last ditched resort, put a piece of TnT on that block. It will blow up the majority of the bridge, excluding the part at the very end. However, if you're not prepared it can act as a shortcut for enemies, SO USE IT WISELY!

Part 3: Mid-Game

Rushing: Main Maps
Referring back to the treehouse based strategy, blue and red should now be eliminated. Have player 4 join whichever group needs more help.
TIP: Make sure each group has at least one piece of TnT. It's an extremely versatile tool and is often extremely underrated. They cost 10 gold each so you might need to wait a few seconds - but that should be fine. However, IF YOU SEE PURPLE IS ALREADY AT MID, do not wait.
Attack yellow and green immediately after you get food and leather armor. Get stone swords if necessary. A good idea here is to have one player fight a 2 vs 1 and have the other break the egg. Even if the player dies, those two will be easy to cleanup, leaving you with the other two to single out and fight 1 on 1. Once yellow and green are eliminated, gear up for the final fight against purple.

Notes: It's advisable to change what you're carrying based off map. On Treehouse, a wood sword and blocks is enough for the first island. However, on maps like UnderdaSea and Mushrooms, you'll probably want to get leather armor, a sword, and a pickaxe as they'll see you coming long before you get there or will have to face more people respectively.

Rushing: Other Maps

On minions, the game is most likely already over. If not, get a diamond pickaxe and quickly break remaining eggs. Then, use the maps narrow setups to kill people who out gear you.

On Rome and Mansion, it's advisable to just stand on a bridge. You'll see what I'm talking about - I have very high success by just baiting people onto bridges on these maps.

On Teaparty, target Pink and Cyan if you're not on these teams. If these teams camp, it will be extremely difficult to take care of them due to the map's setup and having no effective side approach.

On any of the four team maps, you need to make sure you eliminate every teams egg as quick as possible. Even if you didn't kill the whole team, get out and move onto the next team. It's extremely difficult to kill campers on this map, but with power bows you can slowly work your way back in and maybe just straight up kill them. It's difficult, but it surely makes it a lot easier. A similar strategy can be used on other maps if you're running behind, such as UnderDaSea. Note: It's heavily advisable you always eliminate the ends first, they're much harder to kill when camping.

I'm out of time for tonight. I'll continue this on Thursday, I most likely won't have time tomorrow.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-23_20-6-59.png
    upload_2017-5-23_20-6-59.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

GeldHaftige

Dedicated Member
May 4, 2017
Belgium
WoW, Congrulatz!
It is very usefull for people that are beginning with minecraft., or not!
I think that Good players it also can use.

Daniel_H212

May 8, 2016
my personal hell
Very good! This can help a lot of people!

I don't think teaparty is the only map you don't want to rush on. Aztec is also pretty bad (haven't seen that map around in a while, was it removed?), and so is rome and mansion on op mode, because the enemy gets obsidian quickly. No matter what, you are not getting through that obsidian with anything less than the second best pickaxe, with 10 people ping ponging you.

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
So, in generality the kit you pick will always be one of two. If you're someone who likes to go to mid and then attack (which I'll call delayed offensive throughout this guide) or someone who likes to play more defensive, you'll want to go with healer kit. If you're someone who's extremely aggressive and never goes to mid at all (like me), use money bags kit. Don't use any other kits beside this - they're extremely situational and money bags and healer are generally better for their purposes anyways.
I have to disagree with this one.

Debuffer is definitely the best kit IMO. The weakness potion will ensure a win in a 1v1 situation, even if the enemy has better gear than you have, and it can also be thrown at a group of enemies to make it a lot easier to win a 4v1. The slowness potion can be thrown at a large group of people following you when you're rushing towards the egg, which will not only ensure you break the egg, but also that after you did break it, it will be harder for them to escape.
On these maps, if you're rushing a general guideline is to never touch mid. Period.
Have to disagree with this as well.

Mid is a great way to reach enemy islands without having to build a bridge yourself. Saves a lot of time
Now for what to actually do. As soon as the match starts, have your best player go straight to the closest iron generator. Have him grab all the iron on it and go straight to the shop. Buy a wood sword and spend the rest on blocks. Do not delay, get to blue as fast as you can. Speed bridging is almost essential here, if you don't you might not get there quick enough and will get killed. If you're speed bridging, you'll generally get to blue in 30 to 40 seconds. Ignore the people trying to get in your way and go straight for the egg - don't let them stop you. Once their egg is broken, go for as many kills as you can. If you drop below four hearts, it's a good strategy to try to place a few blocks that make a line at a curve along the edge of the island. Make one full loop around the island, and then turn around and knock the chasers off the edge. If you die, just go back with an axe and kill the remaining people. If you're more advanced, it's best to attack with just your best player, otherwise attack with two or three people if you're not as advanced. DO NOT GO TO BLUE IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WEAPON!!! Also, make sure that at the very beginning at least one player is defending - if someone gets away your egg is toast.
What you could also do is wait a few seconds longer, make leather armor + a pickaxe (preferably from 3 gold) + food, then build to blue, destroy their egg and kill them all. It delays the rush a bit (which can also mean that blue already started building a bridge to mid, saves you some time as well) but it does decrease the chances of dieing and having to do it all over again by a lot. Now that you're there you can use their iron to make more blocks, food and a stone sword.

I agree with the rest of the guide

Reactions: Qin Shihuangdi

Daniel_H212

May 8, 2016
my personal hell
Debuffer is definitely the best kit IMO. The weakness potion will ensure a win in a 1v1 situation, even if the enemy has better gear than you have, and it can also be thrown at a group of enemies to make it a lot easier to win a 4v1. The slowness potion can be thrown at a large group of people following you when you're rushing towards the egg, which will not only ensure you break the egg, but also that after you did break it, it will be harder for them to escape.

I have to disagree with you.

In my opinion, buffer and debuffer are one-time use kits, and since I usually rush and lose my egg early on, I don't get to use it again. It would be better just to use money bags to get a head start at the beginning of a game.

Each playing style has it's own best kit, there is no single best kit.

Daniel_H212

May 8, 2016
my personal hell
Isn't money bags a one-time use kit as well?

Also, both kits give a headstart at the beginning.
And the fact that you can kill a full iron with only leather gear just makes it the best IMO, at least for my playing style.

Money bags can be used to upgrade your iron gens and get gear much quicker. I use it on any solo map that has more than one iron gen per map. Debuffer doesn't really do much. I have been debuffed in a 1v1 equal gear fight before, and though it made the fight hard, I still won. If the debuff duration were say, 30 seconds longer, then it could potentially be op.

Another kit that is quite good is the shell cracker, especially in 1.8. The pickaxe's plus 2 damage allows you to kill people with your spawn invincibility. Also makes it harder for rushers to block themselves in. The 2 minute kit delay was pretty much targeted to nerf shell cracker.

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
Money bags can be used to upgrade your iron gens and get gear much quicker. I use it on any solo map that has more than one iron gen per map. Debuffer doesn't really do much.
Debuffer makes it effortless (for me) to take over my neigbouring team on treehouse, giving me 2 iron generators for myself. IMO, that's worth more than 10 iron at the start.

Qin Shihuangdi

Forum Expert
Nov 11, 2015
The Orange House
I have to disagree with this one.

Debuffer is definitely the best kit IMO. The weakness potion will ensure a win in a 1v1 situation, even if the enemy has better gear than you have, and it can also be thrown at a group of enemies to make it a lot easier to win a 4v1. The slowness potion can be thrown at a large group of people following you when you're rushing towards the egg, which will not only ensure you break the egg, but also that after you did break it, it will be harder for them to escap
Have to agree with you. Although I prefer money bags slightly, I changed the guide to include it.

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JustNathie wrote on Camezonda's profile.
Happy Birthday! 💜 🎉
Frontlane wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy birthday! 🧁
UncleSpect wrote on xLucq's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎈
UncleSpect wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎈
Top Bottom