Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Britney Spears

So, as you guys might've noticed, recently Cubecraft added a new administrator to their team, which is great and all, but I have some critique about the way these new admins get selected.

Bear in mind that this won't be the kind of thread where I'll be like "tHeY dIdN'T dEsErVe tO gEt AdMiN" because, obviously, that's not my decision to make.

As an ex-staff member, I know how fun it is to look forward to a certain promotion, it gives a feeling of recognition, it makes you feel like you're getting a title for the hard work and effort you've put into the server. But, I've recently got the message that staff members can only become administrators when they've signed a contract and can work in the office in England (with Tacos as an exception).

Now that you require those two extra things, it's pretty much impossible for the average moderator to become an administrator, which feels dumb and kind of unfair in my opinion, as I'm sure that everyone loves to grow in a team by getting a promotion and little by little obtaining that red tag, but not everyone can move to England to persue what they like the most, helping Cubecraft to their full extent. But knowing you could do a lot more for the server, but at the same time knowing you can't due to certain criteria makes your job feel kind of limited in my opinion. I know that I can't do much about this as, once again, it's simply not my choice to make, but maybe it'd be cool to give very dedicated senior moderators that cannot be contracted due to where they live etc. Also a chance.

I just wanted to share my opinion on this subject,

Peace.

D

Deleted member 169486

Said it once and i'll say it again, scrap the whole Admin+ Team and work it from the ground up.

Reactions: CommunistCactus

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
I've recently got the message that staff members can only become administrators when they've signed a contract and can work in the office in England
Source?

As you know, administrators are basically being paid to work at cube as a job. Cam is doing something along the lines of retail if I'm correct, meaning that him "deserving" it isn't even applicable to the admin rank. He get the job, so he's legally working.
I don't know much about the way they give out jobs, but I doubt the admins are required to work in the office in England. That just makes no sense to me considering Cube exists primarily on the internet. It'd be a massive waste to only limit the jobs to those who are in the area.
If what you're saying is true (jobs limited to those who are in the area), I strongly advise this changing since not every possible part of the job requires a person to physically be present.

Reactions: _The13thDoctor_

Jackxist

Dedicated Member
Apr 25, 2016
Capetown, South Africa
In my opinion, I think it is great for cube to stop right there at the MODS as mods are great and have enough privileges to handle players in the game and do what they have to do, that is their roles. Being an Administrator is a big role that they can't just give to someone because they have been a mod for a long time, Admins have to go work at the head office and do their job hard. The reason staff becomes Staff is to help out players on the server and deal with hackers etc Not just for a red title (I hope) If a mod really feels like helping cube out with everything they can then they will go to cubes head offices and work over there. Cubecraft is a business that needs to handle staff members professionally. In my opinion, the Admin system is fine as it is :)

Tacosbefriends

Forum Professional
Jan 13, 2014
In a perfect world, Cubecraft would make a zillion dollars a day and we could give all the staff who deserve it a sweet job. It is not a perfect world. Cubecraft does not make a zillion dollars a day. We cannot give all the staff who deserve a sweet job a sweet job. Admin rank is reserved only for those who need it the most, and as our new product manager, Camezonda definitely fits that bill.

Another issue is that many of our staffers are not adults. We obviously can't have kids on our payroll (darned child labor laws!) and just imagine how the parents of our staff would feel about a mysterious man on the internet giving their child a ton of money for essentially playing Minecraft. If that doesn't sound incredibly creepy, I don't know what does. It only makes sense that we'd give this position to an adult that's been staff here for a long time, who lives close enough to work in the office, and who has demonstrated skills or abilities that make him a proper fit for this job.

A compromise for not being able to become an admin anymore is the Sr. Mod rank, which I'm currently working on improving and making better for our dedicated long-time staffers. They deserve some extra perks and perms, but unfortunately, the red admin tag is off the table for normal staffers.

D

Deleted member 169486

In a perfect world, Cubecraft would make a zillion dollars a day and we could give all the staff who deserve it a sweet job. It is not a perfect world. Cubecraft does not make a zillion dollars a day. We cannot give all the staff who deserve a sweet job a sweet job. Admin rank is reserved only for those who need it the most, and as our new product manager, Camezonda definitely fits that bill.

Another issue is that many of our staffers are not adults. We obviously can't have kids on our payroll (darned child labor laws!) and just imagine how the parents of our staff would feel about a mysterious man on the internet giving their child a ton of money for essentially playing Minecraft. If that doesn't sound incredibly creepy, I don't know what does. It only makes sense that we'd give this position to an adult that's been staff here for a long time, who lives close enough to work in the office, and who has demonstrated skills or abilities that make him a proper fit for this job.

A compromise for not being able to become an admin anymore is the Sr. Mod rank, which I'm currently working on improving and making better for our dedicated long-time staffers. They deserve some extra perks and perms, but unfortunately, the red admin tag is off the table for normal staffers.
DYD never said they should get paid. In that thread Sophie made about Admins for every minigame would work.

Reactions: Buuuddy

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
www.cubecraft.net
DYD never said they should get paid. In that thread Sophie made about Admins for every minigame would work.
Admin = job
Sr moderators, as he said, will apparently be getting more permissions if they've been here for a while, effectively meaning that those people could take the role of what Snap wanted an admin to be.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink

The problem with this, is that there really isn't much that you can give to the Sr. Mod rank that you cannot already give to the Mod rank. I would personally like to see one of your most dedicated Sr. Mods become OP in the PvP games, and allow them to return gear to victims of hackers (with video evidence). Most decent players steer clear of Assassins nowadays because hours of work can be erased in seconds. I also suggest encouraging said Sr. Mod(s) to do something with the games every weekend. This could be something small, such as a drop party, to something big, such as adding a whole new area to a certain FFA map for a limited time. I recall OrangeGE adding both a parkour and a maze area to FFA's 'Classic', which was well-received.

Another big thing you could give to Sr. Mods is the permission to host competitions both in-game and via the forums (I've written a few competition threads already, can give to you if you like). Then, also let them reward players via the chest thingy so that players have a reason to participate. This strengthens staff-player relations and also creates a sense of community c:

Also, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but please show more appreciation to staff. They do a lot for the server, yet are rarely given any gratitude for all that they do. This is probably why morale within the staff team has been really low lately, and perhaps a cause for numerous resignations (I was personally bothered by a lack of appreciation, and I know others were too). Maybe tell staff once in a while that all that they do is appreciated, and give them in-game rewards via the chest thingy. It's an easy thing to forget to do, but it makes the staff feel wanted and welcome.

EDIT: ABILITY TO CHANGE NAMES (/NICK). I ALWAYS WANTED IT, I'M SURE THE SIR MODDIES WOULD ALSO WANT IT! Caps were necessary :x

B

Britney Spears

shrug_1f937.png

Reactions: Thiemo

ZingBing

Aug 18, 2017
I understand your point, but it IS based there and like any other job in the world, you would need to relocate to work at a place that you want which is not near your current home. I didn't know that they hired a new admin either, but good for him/her!

N

Nikboo

I don't really think DYD mentioned anything about Admins receiving money...
I think what he wants is for Cube to go back to the previous days where normal staffers actually were able to become admin and still work voluntarily (for free) but still have the perms to make gameplay changes which improve stuff and still have perms to run giveaways and work with other staff members/helpers with promotions and demotions.

I personally believe that sometimes Cubecraft really should take a page out of how other Network staff teams are managed.

B

Britney Spears

-
I don't really think DYD mentioned anything about Admins receiving money...
I think what he wants is for Cube to go back to the previous days where normal staffers actually were able to become admin and still work voluntarily (for free) but still have the perms to make gameplay changes which improve stuff and still have perms to run giveaways and work with other staff members/helpers with promotions and demotions.

I personally believe that sometimes Cubecraft really should take a page out of how other Network staff teams are managed.

Once again, god bless. I didn't really felt like replying as I already knew which way this thread's going, but anyway, that's indeed what I meant. I kind of feel like they were deliberately neglecting old admins so they could make the admin rank a contracted people only zone eventually. Which is kind of sad once again.

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
staff members can only become administrators when they've signed a contract and can work in the office in England (with Tacos as an exception).

Now that you require those two extra things, it's pretty much impossible for the average moderator to become an administrator, which feels dumb and kind of unfair in my opinion, as I'm sure that everyone loves to grow in a team by getting a promotion and little by little obtaining that red tag, but not everyone can move to England to persue what they like the most, helping Cubecraft to their full extent.

I disagree with the whole idea of a Senior Moderator getting a promotion basically just for their dedication, time and commitment. An administrator needs very different skills to those used for moderating, so i don't see why it's so 'dumb' and 'unfair' that most people don't fit that role.

Nevertheless, I understand the restrictions placed on becoming admin by the centralised office, which may mean the best people for the job can't always be hired.
The office must however be much better for productivity, communication and collaboration in comparison with interaction being limited to voice calls and the game interface.

The Hypixel admin team consists of over 50 admins who are all directly employed by the company - yet there is no office or communal work-space. Even so, they are evidently able to output much more content at a faster rate, so I'd say if Cubecraft allowed admins to work from home in return for a larger number that could be employed, the increased quantity of updates to the server they could produce would be well worth it (at the literal cost of more wages).

G

Gamerfull

You can really be an administrator without charging money, when for example a SrMod takes a lot of time in the community as it is @Moooofin for example you should be given administrator rank even if you do not live in England

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
You can really be an administrator without charging money, when for example a SrMod takes a lot of time in the community as it is @Moooofin for example you should be given administrator rank even if you do not live in England
I agree that many people would be happy to work as an admin for no pay, however to find the best at their profession, Cubecraft needs to compete with other employers (by actually financially supporting those working for them).
What are you suggesting the administrator rank should be for in a case such as your example? To thank them for their time spent?

G

Gamerfull

I agree that many people would be happy to work as an admin for no pay, however to find the best at their profession, Cubecraft needs to compete with other employers (by actually financially supporting those working for them).
What are you suggesting the administrator rank should be for in a case such as your example? To thank them for their time spent?
I'm just saying that when you get to Mod and you've spent a lot of time in the community, they should give you Rank Manager ... There are a lot of people who deserve and deserve the Administrator rank.

Reactions: MrGrumpyCheese

Edgeless

Dedicated Member
May 9, 2016

I have to say you have a very good point, trust me parents would freak out

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacosbefriends

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
I'm just saying that when you get to Mod and you've spent a lot of time in the community, they should give you Rank Manager ... There are a lot of people who deserve and deserve the Administrator rank.

Ah yes, I agree staff management and the like would be a suitable role for long-standing moderators and be an apt reward for their dedication - I had been thinking more of the network development side of things (like for new games, features and updating the application-layer infrastructure).

Edgeless

Dedicated Member
May 9, 2016
In my opinion, I think it is great for cube to stop right there at the MODS as mods are great and have enough privileges to handle players in the game and do what they have to do, that is their roles. Being an Administrator is a big role that they can't just give to someone because they have been a mod for a long time, Admins have to go work at the head office and do their job hard. The reason staff becomes Staff is to help out players on the server and deal with hackers etc Not just for a red title (I hope) If a mod really feels like helping cube out with everything they can then they will go to cubes head offices and work over there. Cubecraft is a business that needs to handle staff members professionally. In my opinion, the Admin system is fine as it is :)
And I agree with you Mod has enough power to deal with Hackers and spammers and whatnot so he also has a good point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

I've really enjoyed this video, take a look, it is really interesting :D
UncleSpect wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
The Lord 🤍
Reesle wrote on Dualninja's profile.
Hey Dual! 👋
How are you doing? :)
Reesle wrote on __obektev__'s profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums! Hope you enjoy your time here :)
Reesle wrote on Otherworld's profile.
Cool banner!
Top Bottom