Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

johncoles

Forum Expert
Jan 6, 2014
Manchester, UK
johncoles.com
As I sort of said we will be looking at what the most popular games are. The lobby is not "set in stone", as we rotate through the other games as featured games they may be more popular and have the opportunity to become a permanent game. We're doing this so that we can get back to focusing on what we used to do best and give ourselves the opportunity of growing games again. Thanks for all your feedback :D

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
When i join the server frist time i see 7000—10000 players
In 2018 2000—5000
The server actualy has less than 1000

This is a good change for the server?

Reactions: Unipotatoo

BringMeTheHorizon ♠

Forum Expert
Mar 29, 2017
United Stairs of America
The Lucky Islands resource pack is now optional.
Honestly, it always has been. xd you could join games without it, and even tho the server tells you that you can't play without it, I've always managed to play without it.. Maybe was a bug, but good to know that big red message won't show up anymore.

I'd also love to see both Hour Glass (being my favorite minigame, before the grand arcade update) and also Minerware, one of my favorite games as well, that got removed. Minerware was never dead, and although Hour Glass had a tiny player base, it was still playable in peak times and it was extremely fun. (Although lags your FPS after a while ingame, which I believe should be worked on to make it better for everyone.)
When i join the server frist time i see 7000—10000 players
In 2018 2000—5000
The server actualy has less than 1000

This is a good change for the server?
School.. It's not peak time quite yet. And the decrease can be for many reasons other than this specific update, that literally happened today. Players don't even have time to notice this and leave if they wished.
The old leaderboards are gone and are now in a menu meaning we can show the top 200 players not just the top 5!
Although pretty neat, but I think this kinda kills the competitive side of players, and kinda makes it not that great to be in top 5. I say make it more special for top 5 players, although I'm not entirely sure how.

aSteeve

Novice Member
Mar 14, 2018
View attachment 148871
Hello CubeCrafters!

It's been a while since I got to write an update but here we go.

Here's the TL;DR: We're removing games that had little to no players and have redesigned the lobby. If you'd like to know more read on!

We're aware that there are going to be players of the games we've removed who are very disappointed but we also think that you'll appreciate the fact that getting those games to start took a long long time and in some cases was impossible. We've tried to make sure that there is a balance between combat orientated games and games that are popular without combat. The last slot (currently "???") will be taken up by a featured game. Any guesses on what our first one might be?

Currently available in the new lobby is:
  • Tower Defence
  • Lucky Islands
  • SkyWars
  • EggWars
  • PvP
  • Parkour
  • ???????

It's been a long time coming for us to clean up all the mini-games we have and make the network both more manageable for us and better for players. With the decrease generally in the number of Minecraft Java players we've decided now is the right time. For the longtime CubeCraft players put yourself in the shoes of a new player who's joining the network for the first time (yes there are still a fair few of those!). If they joined one of our less popular games then they may have to wait quite a while for it to start. In fact that game may never start, which would be a very frustrating player experience. Decreasing the number of total games allows them to be full more of the time and make sure they begin quickly. We have had a similar experience on Bedrock and players can get in to a game quickly with it starting regularly.

Fewer games means that we can also focus on improvements to those games. I know that it frustrates members of the community when they suggest something, get feed back and even receive the "Escalated" tag but then not see it in the game weeks or even months after. The main reason for this is time and resource. Many people who want to help seem to think that both of these are unlimited (or at least more than we have). To provide continuous updates for 41 different games (as single and team modes are different code wise) as a team of 7 developers is impossible. This has changed in recent months as we also started working on the Bedrock versions of our games too. The only way that it is feasible for us to continue is to decrease the number of games we have allowing more of our developers a chance to work on them.

It's worth noting that just because a lot of games are going to be unavailable we're not simply deleting them. For now we'll be showing them off on a 2 week rotating basis through the Featured Game area. This is also where we'll show off our seasonal games. We've already decided what our first featured game will be and we're looking forward to releasing it, however we'd like to hear which games you want to see after that. Leave us a comment below with your vote! (Unless it's BlockBand, that's not coming back).

There are some negatives of the new lobby system. For now we've removed the compass so you will have to walk and hit the NPC you want to play however we've also taken the redesign as an opportunity to add in a lot of other quality of life updates:
  • There are no longer lots of different lobbies each with their own layouts meaning we can focus builders on new game maps etc.
  • All players will pass through the main lobby making it easier to find people you want to play with.
  • The old leaderboards are gone and are now in a menu meaning we can show the top 200 players not just the top 5!
  • Game shops are now available in the main lobby (accessed via the book in your inventory).
  • The Lucky Islands resource pack is now optional.
  • You can see the player counts for each game from the lobby.
  • New duel settings! Right click on a player to challenge them (disable-able in settings).
  • New Lobby Parkour and Vortex Jump.
  • New Chest Chaser and Relic Hunter locations.
  • Redesigned Main Lobby (we made it a little smaller so it's easier to find things!)

Now that's the main negative out of the way, let's talk about some of the new features and changes!

Just like the Bedrock version of CubeCraft we have now added NPCs to our main lobby that you can use to select a game. All the functionality is still there that you would expect such as being able to select maps as a premium user.

Left clicking on an NPC will bring up the menu for that game. From here you can click on the game's item to jump in to a game or (if you have a rank that allows it) right click the icon to select a map. For games with more than one version (for example team and solo) you will see two icons.

In the bottom right you can also see a map. Clicking on this will show your statistics for that game.

This is where you'll be able to find our seasonal games (with one coming soon ;)) and out of season they'll be a different game every 2 weeks. We'll be announcing them in advance so you'll know what's available when. We'll also be opening up a poll every now and again for you guys to vote on the games you want to see here. Who knows, maybe if a game is consistently popular it might get a permanent zone...

View attachment 148872
That's everything I think. A lot to digest and no doubt a lot to get used to! I hope that you can all understand the reasons behind this and I look forward to seeing which games get chosen to be featured. The new leaderboard system is also interesting... but that's for another, future, post!

See you all in game :D
Hmm if the games come back are tge stats still saved? Cuz i was first in Battle Zone :cry:.
It was pretty dead though.

Reactions: johncoles

_Oplex_

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2016
Under Your Bed (O.o)
Unless it's BlockBand, that's not coming back
29gh65.jpg

BringMeTheHorizon ♠

Forum Expert
Mar 29, 2017
United Stairs of America
I was also informed that Freebuild was also removed... But, since you removed 'dead games', then why Freebuild? It didn't need players to 'start', you can play all by yourself, which is what I usually do, and build. It doesn't need players for it to be alive, for it to be considered dead: Its not competitive whatsoever and doesn't need players. It was the only Game mode where you could play it by yourself or with friends, without actually needing opponents: there are no opponents and it's just for fun. It was the only game where you needed creativity or just simply nothing at all to have fun. I used to build tnt cannons and test them on Cube, it was a way to test things and stay in touch with friends. I also really loved the parkour, speed run and the "would you rather" maps; you could actually have fun in that game, without the need to tryhard.

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
i still don't understand why..
- More updates towards more popular games
- Games will hopefully start faster since the player base is less spread out
And also to keep newer players around, everytime a new player joined the server sometimes they ended up playing a game like SG which mostly didn't start, they would get bored and leave the entire server.

This update is more or less about keeping those players, it's really sad that so many great games had to go (BlockWars and Minerware) but in the long term I can kind of understand the decision. Needless to say I am still upset.

Reactions: Eli

ELK878

Novice Member
Sep 17, 2017
Madrid
And also to keep newer players around, everytime a new player joined the server sometimes they ended up playing a game like SG which mostly didn't start, they would get bored and leave the entire server.

This update is more or less about keeping those players, it's really sad that so many great games had to go (BlockWars and Minerware) but in the long term I can kind of understand the decision. Needless to say I am still upset.
And the new game? let me know ender

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016

I've read that message but it still doesn't change the fact that games like Mineware weren't even that dead. Arcade, I hate to admit, was indeed dead and I can sadly understand why it got removed. But again, games like Mineware and Classic Duels weren't that dead. Not dead enough to remove the whole game. UHC was dead for like months maybe even a year before it finally got removed, after people also suggestion to remove it. Classic Duels & Mineware wasn't even that dead and it already got removed.

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest

Pls i love blockwars
I realy love blockwars and is a exclusive game of the server.

Actualy more players on bedrock than java.

The problem of the server is not this.
The problem is than you forget java and start updating bedrock.

Idk.
If you want to make java literaly the same than bedrock just say.

The server died because you dont update java.

Now i cant look the server to the face Is horrible.

Why you removed the lobbys?
Why you removed.
Survival games, blockwars, and minerware?
Why

Reactions: ELK878 and Eli

Unipotatoo

Jun 21, 2017
United States
aerosurvival.com
I've read that message but it still doesn't change the fact that games like Mineware weren't even that dead. Arcade, I hate to admit, was indeed dead and I can sadly understand why it got removed. But again, games like Mineware and Classic Duels weren't that dead. Not dead enough to remove the whole game. UHC was dead for like months maybe even a year before it finally got removed, after people also suggestion to remove it. Classic Duels & Mineware wasn't even that dead and it already got removed.
Cube is going bankrupt and this is 1 way for them to cut down on cost. I think because of this update its more obvious

Reactions: remio

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Why you removed minerware?
Is very played.
Is very good game
This, jevmen, is a company. And there are more players playing on the BedRock edition atm, so it's a great step to make some updates for the BedRock edition first. Also, the BedRock edition is in BETA, so updates necessarily needed.

On topic: NO NOT BATTLE ZONE! My greatest love D:
Though I hope that these changes will make this server better :)
You are on the right way!

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
The last 2 java update are literaly horrible.
Why you make 4 minerware updates if you remove them?
Why you update 7 times arcade if you remove them?

Reactions: Eli
Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest posts

Top Bottom