Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Agree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quetzi

Jun 7, 2017
@quetzi
quetzi.tv
Unfortunately, as already stated, the actions of a few ruin it for the many. Should we have to block those words? No. Do we have to? Yes. Bringing the topic up every other week does not change that fact, sadly.

Majority of people on Minecraft servers are between the ages 10-15 (there are some less and some more). At this age most people are hitting puberty.. exploring their sexuality... and therefore many are coming to terms with being gay. For many people, this is hard (which is well documented) and having a word describing their identity being censored just makes them feel more out of place. In a game which is built around freedom, it doesn't make sense to make people feel unwanted/odd/unusual in any way and censoring this word definitely can make people feel out of place. I understand this isn't the case for everyone.
What I'm saying is the word use isn't the problem, it's the idea of censoring an identity.
As SubSub mentioned, a lot of teens play here, and are currently undergoing a lot of identity crises. They aren't necessarily going to express themselves in public chat (where the term could still be censored if necessary), but they probably have many friends on Minecraft who they feel they can relate with. Feeling invalidated about their sexuality on a server that they spend much of their time will naturally upset them (hence why this thread is more-or-less re-posted every month).
Good point. Rather than 'You cannot say this!' coming up, a custom dialogue could be added, such as ''Gay' has been censored to avoid negative use of the term'. That way, it's clear that being gay itself isn't the problem, but how people tend to use the word.
READ THIS IF YOU THINK ‘WHY TALK ABOUT IT ON A MINECRAFT SERVER’

F

Facelurite

Would a solution such as this be possible?

It's the same as when 'Trump' was censored, people assumed CCG was enforcing a poltical agenda when actually, it was done for the opposite reason. If an explanation for why these terms are censored is given, people will have no reason to take offence.

Lol can u link some of the trump threads pls

F

Facelurite

As for the thread, using the word in a deregatory manner isnt all that bad. Calling someone gay is pretty much the same as a 5 year old calling a boy a girl for touching a pink crayon.

However, “I’m gay” and “I am gay” are allowed so there isn’t much of a problem

if u still feel triggered about it just say “no u” xd @CommunistCactus

_Oplex_

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2016
Under Your Bed (O.o)
but what if they say "your dad lesbian?"
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

As for the thread, using the word in a deregatory manner isnt all that bad. Calling someone gay is pretty much the same as a 5 year old calling a boy a girl for touching a pink crayon.

However, “I’m gay” and “I am gay” are allowed so there isn’t much of a problem

if u still feel triggered about it just say “no u” xd @CommunistCactus

Yeah that's what I said in the opening point, it's not offensive so don't take offence

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Lol can u link some of the trump threads pls
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/this-name-is-censored.180475/
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/ummm.179785/
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/word-filter.176630/

There are possibly more (235 results), just type 'trump site:cubecraft.net' into Google if you want to find more.

Only found out about the 'Site:' thing today actually, it's very neat. Very good, Google! Now just tell us where you're hiding the dinosaurs and we'll be happy.

F

Facelurite

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/this-name-is-censored.180475/
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/ummm.179785/
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/word-filter.176630/

There are possibly more (235 results), just type 'trump site:cubecraft.net' into Google if you want to find more.

Only found out about the 'Site:' thing today actually, it's very neat. Very good, Google! Now just tell us where you're hiding the dinosaurs and we'll be happy.

Thx ur gay a lifesaver. Time to read political minecraft threads ps dinosaurs are dead

Reactions: Sophie

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Thx ur gay a lifesaver.
lmao :y

Back on the subject of the thread, the most optimal solution would be to have a custom message display when you try to type 'gay'. Since that's not possible for whatever reason, would it be possible to remove the word from the filter specifically when sent to somebody on your friends list? Removing it from the filter entirely would cause more problems than it's worth, but clearly there's a demand considering how common these threads are.

Reactions: SubSub

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
But the real question is, would Cubecraft ban you for having 'Gay' in your name?
(In a good way)

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
But the real question is, would Cubecraft ban you for having 'Gay' in your name?
(In a good way)
Nah. It's like 'noob' or 'ez'. They prevent you from saying it, but won't punish you if you manage to find a way around it. If it's an offensive name, then they'll probably ban you for it.

Reactions: Sweetenerera

skifby

Forum Veteran
May 4, 2016
By blocking the word gay you only make it seem like you have something against the gays. You make it seem like it's something negative.

I'm not gay so don't really care, but ye, I don't think I would like to see it blocked as a gay person.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Uhh I might be the cause of this but, it spells W so 🤔
Thanks @AnolTongi for the image
1714853932931.png
SpringWarz wrote on Fesa's profile.
Stop complaining about people putting their names in bug reports, thank you!
Currently working on “New Skyblock Island” suggestion #7! It might be the most detailed one yet.
EpicShotz1432 wrote on yousif1playz's profile.
Happy birthday 🎉
Top Bottom