Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

What should be done about the application system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDaDino

Dedicated Member
Mar 31, 2017
i nu tell u
www.cubecraft.net
Tbh, i think the staff applications are fine the way they are. Maybe reset more frequently, but other than that, there isn't much they can improve on. Yes there are few staff members, but i think resets might fix that (or at least improve) that. I am, by no means, an expert on this subject but i think that the staff are doing a fine job and they shouldn't completely change the way they handle applications

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
The community has to be led by people the community likes, right? The community should at least have a little influence. Unless the community wants ryan as a staff member. I remember there was a thread where you could say who you thought could be a helper, and I was surprised when some members named Ryan, while he had been muted 3-4 times and he had been banned a couple times.

Thinking about that... Please don't let the community choose...
Even though he's well known I doubt many where actually serious and thought of it as a Joke.
Since Ryan was someone who broke the rules multiple times and isn't really (especially now) suited to be Staff.

Reactions: Marieke2001

TriangleAttack

Dedicated Member
Mar 13, 2016
Lestallum
fireemblem.wikia.com
I do agree with a few of these points.

TOPIC: Let the community choose staff members.
MY OPINION: Yes, but no. Let the community have a partial say in it. If someone could make a powerful idea on where to give staff feedback and who should be staff, I'd be all with that.

TOPIC: Application less strict
MY OPINION: I personally think the applications are fine. But I see your point. Staff are getting low and lets face it, Cubecraft isn't the same from when I joined. I really like how you mentioned about being too low of staff. I think there should be some sort of ratio from staff to players. Maybe something like for every thousand players we need 1 staff member or so.

TOPIC: Application reset schedule
MY OPINION: Yes please. This can give us a time limit of when we need to fix up so we can get good chances of becoming a staff member. We can't live by rumors of staff applocations opening up again forever. That would be complete Blasted garbage.

Darkform9

May 6, 2016
European Union- unlike a certain traitor
I think some of the points are very well said; such as lowering expectations and reducing the time between reapplication. However I think the staff have been doing a great job and with Sentinel, the mods they currently have is probably enough to handle any reports and issues with players. I think it would be a good idea for cubecraft to try and recruit more staff (maybe in a trial period). I think the increased staff may be good to help with representing the staff and making players feel more connected to them while in-game. I think expectations shouldn't lowered too much as cubecraft is well know to have a very high standard for their staff members which is a fantastic selling point for new members. Also I think the community having an input wouldn't be a good idea; as it would leave staff as only the most popular players instead of the ones most suited for the job. Only my opinion on it.

Reactions: Gainfullterror

Darkform9

May 6, 2016
European Union- unlike a certain traitor
I do agree with a few of these points.

Maybe something like for every thousand players we need 1 staff member or so.
I would say that is a bit of unreasonable, that would leave any staff members working extreme hours, I think 1 staff for every 100-250 players would be a lot more reasonable and doable. It would allow for staff to have a good representation but not overworking any staff available.

Reactions: TriangleAttack

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Hmm. I suppose that wouldn't hurt. It should be up to the admins if they're capable of being a staff member.
Some people in the community know a person way better than the admins do. This results into them (the "friends") knowing if someone is completely capable or not. If the admin has barely seen another person, they wouldn't know their capability. This is where the community can step in to tell the higher ups whether this person would make a good staff member or not.

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
Some people in the community know a person way better than the admins do. This results into them (the "friends") knowing if someone is completely capable or not. If the admin has barely seen another person, they wouldn't know their capability. This is where the community can step in to tell the higher ups whether this person would make a good staff member or not.
Yeah, I could see your point. That's ok but, people can just lie about how a person is so, they can become helper.

Reactions: Marieke2001

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
Lowering expectations is not the way to go. I dont mind if we have a small staff team even if it means hackers are everywhere. I can deal with hackers on every one of my games again but low quality staff who may end up false banning players a lot is not something I want to see. We already get ebough of that from sentinel.

Scheduled resets would be nice to see and having the community have a bigger say in who becomes and doesnt become staff would be nice but I dont think we should pressure the owners to trust people they just dont want to accept. Its not our server. :P

Reactions: Ping Ether

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
www.cubecraft.net
Lowering expectations is not the way to go. I dont mind if we have a small staff team even if it means hackers are everywhere. I can deal with hackers on every one of my games again but low quality staff who may end up false banning players a lot is not something I want to see. We already get ebough of that from sentinel.
Look, I understand people being afraid of having low quality staff, but it's not like we're going to lower the expectations to the point where we'll accept people who hackusate everyone and only get it right half of the time.
Some of the people that apply are really good at spotting out when someone is hacking & collecting enough evidence, but then they don't get accepted because of ex: The admins having never seen them.
Scheduled resets would be nice to see and having the community have a bigger say in who becomes and doesnt become staff would be nice but I dont think we should pressure the owners to trust people they just dont want to accept
Fair enough
Its not our server. :p
They are running the server for people to play on. Most of the changes they make, are made to satisfy the players that play on the server. It'd be logical for them to ask the players what they want (suggestions), and I feel that the same needs to apply to applications.

Reactions: Power Ranger

Tacosbefriends

Forum Professional
Jan 13, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the admins are the ones that go through the applications to decide whether someone has a chance or not.
Actually, our helper recruitment team is a pretty well-sorted mix of staff. One of our hardest-working staffers on that team is @zRinne , who was just today promoted to Sr. Mod. The recruitment team's doing just fine despite the recent resignations.

there are plenty of people on the forums who genuinely deserve to be a staff member
Couldn't agree more. Things are definitely changing now that management has shifted though. I highly encourage those members to apply for helper.

The community NEEDS to have a say in whether somebody gets to have an interview or even accepted.
Without revealing too much, we denied the application of a good friend of multiple staff for this exact reason; they weren't as involved in the community as many others who are yet to be interviewed or who have been overlooked. We try our best to avoid favoritism and try to give the community what they want. That said, we need to have some control over who becomes staff; it's not like we'll be opening elections any time soon. Sometimes, someone isn't fit for the job for a reason no one ever even considered.

There are WAY too little staff being hired for the amount that are resigning/being demoted.
I realize this post was made before today's four new helpers were recruited, so this point may seem a little invalid now, but I want to talk on this topic too. We just hired four new helpers, which is an insane amount for one day. We normally wait a while between hiring, and we'll only hire 1-2 at a time, but I felt that our community needed to be shown that Cubecraft is not in danger or in trouble due to the recent loss of old staff. I hired these four new helpers with the hope that they will go on to become some of our best moderators and admins. After all, they have some pretty big footsteps to follow in.

I can probably name out 3-4 players that have gotten an interview after they've applied (but not accepted). And those are people who I wouldn't expect to be able to have a chance at being a staff member.
This leads me to believe, that rarely anyone can get accepted because of the strict expectations.
We only want the best of the best. If necessary, we can take a look at the runners-up and interview them as well. It's not as though we just toss their apps in the fire. In regards to players who clearly deserved it but got denied, there were reasons for each. It's not polite to share the secrets of others, so I won't name names, but people were denied for various reasons that came to light only after their interviews.

Last announced reset, was around the beginning of this year. That's nearly 4 months ago (120 days!).
Not to split hairs, but last year was only ~90 days ago.

I imagine a lot of people making their application, and editing them overtime to add notes which could give them a bigger chance.
This means, that if they've been denied, editing won't help a bit & they NEED to wait until the next unknown reset.
The application resets need to be more frequent in order to avoid unnecessary denials like this.
That's how it is in most places: first come, first served. If you're vigilant and quick to apply, you're the kind of person we want on our team. Also, as I said before, denying an application doesn't mean we toss it in the fire. It just means you're not our first choice.

I can guarantee you that lots will agree with me
21 likes don't lie! I'll definitely be taking some notes away from this post; I even learned something. I appreciate how passionate you are about the server and the staff team. It really shows when people make great big long posts like this. Passionate and fervent people who care enough about the server are the types of people we like.

-TBF

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
www.cubecraft.net
Not to split hairs, but last year was only ~90 days ago
okay month numbers mess me up :C
I'll definitely be taking some notes away from this post; I even learned something.
tenor.gif

Okay the goal of my thread has been reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

AnolTongi wrote on SanCookie's profile.
SAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thank you, really, thank you for everything you've done. Stay amazing.
Eli wrote on xLucq's profile.
Happy Birthday!!
Eli wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy Birthday!!! 🎉
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on xLucq's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
Top Bottom