Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

99th_DutchNubnub

Feb 8, 2020
nubbieland
hai i am dutchnub

first, I would like to warn you about the felon that has been used in this discussion with words that may feel "violent" or "shocking" to some people.
this will not be used maliciously but as an example.

Setting the Official Cubecraft Rules: Avoid Controversial Discussions. (e.g. politics, religion). so now i made a mistake on the subject of religion,

therefore, I will try to make it as simple as possible so that I do not consciously anger and / or hurt people.

everyone in this server will meet someone who says something in the direction of: damn or jesus christ or something along those lines
now I have been a Christian all my life and I felt that some adjustments should be made to what is and what is not allowed.
after a conversation with some people I was sure I had to make a discussion of this.

I would like to have the following different:

-Christian point of view
-changes that I would find necessary

Christian point of vieuw:

my position as a christian is as follows:
Swear words like jesus christian or goddamn or anything else where "god" is used (think god ugly child) should also be punishable by me.

why do I think this is punishable?
since cube rules tell us that swearing is not allowed,
and me as a christian: goddammit, jesus christ and god's ugly child, would be swearing.

With that, I think a lot of people, whether those people are Christian or not, will agree that for some other people, it can be hurtful or disrespectful.

and i think cubecraft as a server and community also wants to keep the christian players.

changes that I would find necessary
the words I would add to the list: forbidden words:
-Jesus Christ
-god's ugly child
-any word or phrase that would contain the word "god", and thus disrespectful to Christians. (I think the staff team can determine for themselves whether or not something is punishable).
-if anyone has additions to this: respond

I hope something can be done with this,
and that there may be clarity about this.

Finally I would like to say, anyone who wants to comment below: be respectful to your neighbor.

greetings, DutchNub:heart:🙂

Maaarijn

Forum Veteran
Mar 12, 2017
het land van kroketten, frikandellen
www.youtube.com
I've seen this being suggested before, and most people agreed that 'jesus christ' is not bad enough swearing to deserve a punishment. I could imagine that it could be offensive to see those words if you're a christian, but on average most people don't feel this way. You should also not get punished for using the word 'god' in my opinion, unless you use it in a way to purposefully offend someone. Most people don't even have bad intentions when using the word 'god', it's just a normal word to use in modern everyday language. When saying "god's ugly child" I feel like the focus is on calling someone ugly instead of the 'god' part, which should not be punished for either in my opinion.

matcha

Forum Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Droptown
Can we not make this a rule? From an average person's point of view (that someone being me at least), something like this seems way over the top to be defined as something that can possibly violate the rules on the server. I really don't want to be muted for saying something like "Jesus Christ" because I used it as a substitute for "Wow, what was that...". I think more often than not, people use some of the terms you've listed with little to no malicious intent Neither do they mean anything offensive in the first place?

99th_DutchNubnub

Feb 8, 2020
nubbieland
Most people don't even have bad intentions when using the word 'god', it's just a normal word to use in modern everyday language. When saying "god's ugly child" I feel like the focus is on calling someone ugly instead of the 'god' part, which should not be punished for either in my opinion.
but even then you can hurt people with that even if you don't mean it that way, with text you cannot indicate feelings and show that it is more about the other part,

and I think because you can hurt people, you better not let it be.

Reactions: 99th_DutchScary

99th_DutchNubnub

Feb 8, 2020
nubbieland
Can we not make this a rule? From an average person's point of view (that someone being me at least), something like this seems way over the top to be defined as something that can possibly violate the rules on the server. I really don't want to be muted for saying something like "Jesus Christ" because I used it as a substitute for "Wow, what was that...". I think more often than not, people use some of the terms you've listed with little to no malicious intent Neither do they mean anything offensive in the first place?
when someone says something and has their own intention with it, that does not mean that it is respectful to someone who does consider it disrespectful, and with many things I also understand that it is not that intention, but I think that if you another case talks about a religion

and added, Jesus Christ is something for Christians that you speak of with respect and reverence, and if it is not the case of reverence and respect then it can appear disrespectful and hurtful

matcha

Forum Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Droptown
when someone says something and has their own intention with it, that does not mean that it is respectful to someone who does consider it disrespectful, and with many things I also understand that it is not that intention, but I think that if you another case talks about a religion

and added, Jesus Christ is something for Christians that you speak of with respect and reverence, and if it is not the case of reverence and respect then it can appear disrespectful and hurtful
Fair. But you can argue the same for just about anything if it's in any way related to a culture. This isn't a Christian server in the first place as much as some people like to joke that it is. I see little reason as to why there needs to be rules that cater to a group of individuals despite it being of little matter to everyone else. You can always install chat mods that filter out words you don't particularly like being used in common day to day interactions.

99th_DutchNubnub

Feb 8, 2020
nubbieland
I see little reason as to why there needs to be rules that cater to a group of individuals despite it being of little matter to everyone else.
first: not only for Christians the name Jesus is important, for Muslims he is a prophet. so I think that statement is a bit far-fetched

But you can argue the same for just about anything if it's in any way related to a culture. This isn't a Christian server in the first place as much as some people like to joke that it is.
I agree, but berating Jesus Christ is a sensitive topic for some people. so from that point of view I think when people say something targeted to each other like; god ugly child. it must be punishable.

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs
This is a very delicate question, and I’ll try to give my opinion without hurting anyone (if I accidentally hurt anyone, it was not my intention, you can tell me and I’ll change my message 😉)

So... of course saying something along the lines of what you took as an example can hurt some people, but the people that actually get hurt by it, and are therefore most likely very christian, are only very few people. I know christian people, and when someone says ‘Jesus’ when they’re around they don’t really care, so it’s not even all christians.

I think it’s also really really hard to avoid hearing something that upsets you being a christian in daily life as well. The only way to not hear any words related to god is by completely avoiding anyone who doesn’t get offended by it which is very hard. Now you could say the same about swearing, but that’s not exactly true. If you’re a 7 year old child, there’s a low chance that any of your friends now swear words like fuck. There is of course a chance that you, being the 7 year old child will hear the word somewhere on the street, but as you don’t know it you won’t pay attention to it, so the biggest chance is that you learn it when you’re older. The swearing rule is (partially) there to protect young kids that wouldn’t hear that word from their friends either. You, being a christian, can’t avoid to hear it. Unless you only have other christian friends, your friends will also use it.

So, in conclusion, I see your point, but I think it’s not necessary to have a rule for it. These words have become part of normal language, and only very few people get offended by it.

Ge1ster

Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2020
Lampland
first: not only for Christians the name Jesus is important, for Muslims he is a prophet. so I think that statement is a bit far-fetched
I am a Muslim and this is definitely anything but offensive for me, I really don't mind it at all. I understand how this might be offensive to you but compared to other stuff people get punished for saying, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me either. There can be some extreme cases where people somehow use it in an offensive way, in which case I assume could be punishable, but saying something like "Jesus christ" when the enemy bow spams aggressively, that kind of stuff has no reason not to be allowed.

99th_DutchScary

99th_DutchMod
Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
PatatsLand
I would like to give my opinion on this, but I don't want to hurt somebody's feelings or something. So uhm, here we go I guess..
Most people don't even have bad intentions when using the word 'god'
I don't think it is about the intentions you have, but more about how the other person feels about it. There are lots of reason to get muted for something you didn't mean that way. If say something about dying in-game, you are able to get muted for threatening.
When saying "god's ugly child" I feel like the focus is on calling someone ugly instead of the 'god' part, which should not be punished for either in my opinion.
Even though you shouldn't use the word 'god' in this sentence, it is still harsh to say that someone is ugly. There are players that get really offended by some random player saying they are ugly. I think that is not a way you should talk to each other.
You can always install chat mods that filter out words you don't particularly like being used in common day to day interactions.
I don't really feel like I should be the one installing mods to filter chat, as there is already a chat filter on Cubecraft.
I think it’s also really really hard to avoid hearing something that upsets you being a christian in daily life as well.
I know your life is most likely not the same as mine. But I don't have a really hard time avoiding those kind of words. Even when one of my friends if offending me by using unchristian words, I tell them that I don't like it when they such words. People understand that, and just avoid using unchristian words when I am around. So, it's kind of upsetting me, when I see those words in the chat.
I understand how this might be offensive to you but compared to other stuff people get punished for saying, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me either.
Saying 'shut up' (in Dutch, I don't know if the same rule applies in English) is already muteable. In my opinion, 'jezus christ' is a lot more offensive then 'shut up'.

I think that words like 'jezus christ' and other offensive things to certain religions, should be added to the chat filter. This would avoid Christians getting hurt. And if someone says something offensive, they won't get muted for it as others can't see the message.

Also an extra note; I think it's inappropiate for staff members to say things like 'jezus christ'. Not only because it's offending to Christians, but also because they are an 'Role-model' as said in the application information. I don't feel like role-models should use words like that. And I've seen staff members using those kind of words.

Reactions: xHappyMood

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs
f say something about dying in-game, you are able to get muted for threatening.
Not true, threatening is only for irl events afaik.
I don't really feel like I should be the one installing mods to filter chat, as there is already a chat filter on Cubecraft.
The people that don’t want to hear this kind of things are, by far, a minority. It doesn’t really seem necessary to me. But, I know that there’s no way for me to imagine how it is for you as I can in no way relate to it. So, if it makes you happy I’d be fine with yeeting it into the chatfilter. I do think however that there shouldn’t be punished if you say something that isn’t in the chat filter. If someone in the game gets offended they can just ask to add it to the chatfilter.
People understand that, and just avoid using unchristian words when I am around. So, it's kind of upsetting me, when I see those words in the chat.
Yeah so tell your friends on cube that you get offended by those words and they’ll probably stop. You can’t tell everyone in global chat that you get offended by it so I’d just ignore it. (But, once again, I can’t in anyway relate to how you feel, so idk if that’s possible for you).
Saying 'shut up' (in Dutch, I don't know if the same rule applies in English) is already muteable. In my opinion, 'jezus christ' is a lot more offensive then 'shut up'.
Is it? I wasn’t aware of that.
I think that words like 'jezus christ' and other offensive things to certain religions, should be added to the chat filter. This would avoid Christians getting hurt. And if someone says something offensive, they won't get muted for it as others can't see the message.
Once again, I think that it shouldn’t be muteable if you accidentally say something that wasn’t added to the chat filter as too few people are offended by it. If someone does get offended, they should just suggest to add it to the chatfilter as well.
Also an extra note; I think it's inappropiate for staff members to say things like 'jezus christ'. Not only because it's offending to Christians, but also because they are an 'Role-model' as said in the application information. I don't feel like role-models should use words like that. And I've seen staff members using those kind of words.
Maybe they strictly seen shouldn’t, but for people that don’t believe (as strictly) in god, it’s just normal to say it sometimes. They don’t think about it, and a lot less people are offended by it than by other swear words. They probably say it without even realising that some people can get upset because of it.

99th_DutchScary

99th_DutchMod
Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
PatatsLand
Not true, threatening is only for irl events afaik.
Yeah, that's probably how it should work. But if you don't emphasize on the in-game part, you still can get muted for it. Even though you didn't mean it that way.

Yeah so tell your friends on cube that you get offended by those words and they’ll probably stop. You can’t tell everyone in global chat that you get offended by it so I’d just ignore it.
My friends already get that. It's like, all the other players that are using these kind of words. It's really hard to ignore something like that, especially if it comes back every game.

If someone does get offended, they should just suggest to add it to the chatfilter as well.
That's kind of my point. I would like to see such words added to the chat filter, so no one has to be offended by it.

it’s just normal to say it sometimes.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is normal to say. Not as a player, and not as a staff member.

Yes, I get that some players not always think before they send a chat message. That's why I think it should be added to the chat filter. In that way, players can send messages without thinking and no one gets offended.

Reactions: xHappyMood

Ge1ster

Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2020
Lampland
But if you don't emphasize on the in-game part, you still can get muted for it. Even though you didn't mean it that way.
That's not true. Threatening reports require a lot of context. There's no room for base assumption when it comes to reports, I've seen it first-hand from my experience.

It's like, all the other players that are using these kind of words. It's really hard to ignore something like that, especially if it comes back every game.
People don't get punished for toxic phrases like "trash, kid," etc. (unless they spam it) because these phrases are too little and staff don't want to punish for little things.

Even more, saying "Jesus Christ" is nothing targeted, and unless, in an extraordinary case, they use it to offend you, I do not agree that it should be punishable. Like said above:
But you can argue the same for just about anything if it's in any way related to a culture
I doubt CubeCraft would ever add these small cultural / religious phrases to the chat-filter. If every phrase like this was added to the chat filter then what would be left? If someone claims that the phrase "omg" was offensive because it referred to the god for a small thing, would you add "omg" to the chat filter?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is normal to say. Not as a player, and not as a staff member.
So players / staff members should avoid any phrase that has even the slightest chance of offending someone, like the word "omg"? Quite the contrary, I find saying "Jesus Christ" a very human thing to say, it's a common expression of getting surprised or shocked. If you added something as small as this to the chat filter then you can add so many more things like this and then there would be nothing to say in chat basically

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
I used to be christian so I know very well what could be seen as offensive and what not, but in the end I feel like that’s more the problem of your religion than the problem of our entire community. I know christians especially are against the word, but if other cultures aren’t, then who should adjust? I feel like this is more of a “majority wins” issue.

99th_DutchScary

99th_DutchMod
Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
PatatsLand
Okay, I feel like the majority is against this. And I understand that. As Ge1ster said, Cubecraft is propably not going to do anything with this. But I still feel like it's not quite right.
First of all, things like 'Jezus christ' feel way more offensive to me then things like 'omg'. Mainly because I always hope that they mean something else with that, even though I know they don't. But it helps me to ignore it, but words like 'Jezus christ' are way harder to ignore.

Second thing is that I think staff members have more impact with what they say. So it wouldn't hurt anyone if they try avoid saying things like 'Jezus christ' just because they lost a game. I really hope that staff members reading this, try avoiding such things, but probably not.

so I know very well what could be seen as offensive and what not
I think it's not the same for all Christians, what is offensive or what not. Some Christians are more easily offended then others.

You can always install chat mods that filter out words you don't particularly like being used in common day to day interactions.
I've started working on something like this. I can't convince Cubecraft to adjust their swearing filter, so I hope this will help me getting less offended by playing on Cube. But encountered the problem that now miss half conversations, which makes it not that much better.

That's not true. Threatening reports require a lot of context. There's no room for base assumption when it comes to reports, I've seen it first-hand from my experience.
A friend of my once got muted for saying 'hacker deserve to die'. He was talking about in-game, as hackers don't deserve to win the game. But he still got muted for threatening.

Pyups🎄

Novice Member
Apr 13, 2020
a jolly rancher
I would like to start this reply by saying that i am also a Christian and I think this is a very important issue. 1st off bad words are objective. I think this is very important to note because everyone has there own bad words. I feel like the best solution would to have different levels of the chat filter. I think this current chat filter could be the base level but there could be one that blocks more words and less words. I think that this is cubecrafts responsibility especially with it being a featured bedrock server, and i think this is the best solution for this to happen with out cubecraft becoming a Christian Minecraft sever

matcha

Forum Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Droptown
I've started working on something like this. I can't convince Cubecraft to adjust their swearing filter, so I hope this will help me getting less offended by playing on Cube. But encountered the problem that now miss half conversations, which makes it not that much better.

That begs the question of how many things you're actually filtering out that makes you miss half the conversations you're having? Why wouldn't it be the same if CubeCraft did filter these words out with their own filters? I understand it's a pretty sensitive topic for some, but they're compromises you'll need to make in my opinion. There's a reason why there are rules that tell us to avoid controversial topics such as religion and politics. It's because something some people say will bound to upset others whether there was any intent to do so in the beginning. At that point, why not just mute everyone so no one gets offended?

As a last remark,
This isn't a Christian server in the first place as much as some people like to joke that it is.

99th_DutchScary

99th_DutchMod
Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
PatatsLand
That begs the question of how many things you're actually filtering out that makes you miss half the conversations you're having?
It's more my coding skills that should be questioned. I filtered all abriviations of swearing words, and lots of word contains abriviations of swearing words. So I've made a change there, making it much better. I may also be too generous when adding swearing words to a filter.

Why wouldn't it be the same if CubeCraft did filter these words out with their own filters?
Id cubecraft filters the words, players will avoid using them as their message won't be send to other players. Also, if CubeCraft filters the words, nobody will get to see messages containing those words. So it wouldn't be only me missing messages.

At that point, why not just mute everyone so no one gets offended?
Is this a serious question? Because if it is, I want my +1 xp when saying wp at the end of a game.

This isn't a Christian server in the first place as much as some people like to joke that it is.
Nobody says that it is. But just because it isn't a Christian server, you can still avoid Christians getting hurt or feeling disrespected.

Deann

what's a bug 🍪
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jul 2, 2017
the agency
I feel like for all the debate going on in this thread, it's really just about whether something offensive is under swearing, and for most of Cubecraft's lifespan this hasn't been the case. For example, toxicity is looked down upon, but perfectly allowed. Saying offensive things ingame ("easy", "ur terrible", etc. etc.) is annoying but not at all mutable. It's the same kind of thing with "jesus christ" or "god", it can be seen as disrespectful to Christians, but disrespect has never been a punishable offense, nor should it be.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Frontlane wrote on S4nne's profile.
Kazwa wrote on Frontlane's profile.
🐺
Sergiio12 wrote on LoveAndMafia's profile.
Alejaaaandro
Top Bottom