Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
I am not directly looking for support in this matter; the support forums just seemed the best fit - feel free to move the thread if it is better suited elsewhere!

I would like to share my concerns over the possible unfair treatment punished players may be receiving due to the lax regulations covering time of report and evidence submission, which may arise by innocent or malicious means of the reporter.

After a rule breaker has been banned (by staff, sentinel or a player's successful report), and the duration has expired, a different player who gained evidence of the original perpetration, but didn't submit it at the time, could do so once the cheater is allowed back on the network. If the moderator handling the report does not recognise the piece of evidence submitted as being at the same period as the original evidence report (which is quite likely if it's evidence from a different game), the cheater may be banned again, this time unfairly (and with an incremental duration).

The offences with the shortest ban durations are most likely to incur this problem as there's a greater possibility a player with evidence won't have gotten round to uploading their report before the ban is over, so it'll be accepted as though the cheater committed another offence after their punishment had expired. Therefore the 1 day teaming ban and 1 week sentinel ban are the main issues here.

Of course, the cheater should appeal their 2nd ban, claiming the evidence to be outdated (before the initial ban occurred). However, I don't see how moderators would be able to distinguish genuine victims from those who cheated once more after their ban expired and are lying in their appeal - unless they could contact the player who made the report and they conceded that their evidence was indeed outdated. I am unsure if moderators have this ability, but if they could look back through the cheater's games played on which maps and at what times, then if they didn't play the map featured in the evidence after the ban expiry date, the 2nd report could be denied.

As for players purposely reporting cheaters once again after an initial ban (with a different piece of evidence from the same occasion), there seems to be no way to stop them doing this. The current age limit for video evidence is 2 weeks, after which it becomes invalid. This is obviously much longer than the 1 day and 1 week bans, and also there is really no way for moderators to work out when the evidence was recorded. Therefore it is all too easy for someone to delay their report in order to potentially permanently ban a player from the network.

If anyone can suggest a fix for this exploit (the only idea I have is to reduce the maximum age of a piece of evidence), or can see a fault in my logic and understanding of the current system, please reply with your thoughts.

Also, if anyone does know if moderators have the ability to look back through a player's games to validate evidence, that would be helpful for understanding just how easily this issue could occur either purposely or accidentally. I fully respect that this may be confidential, so no worries if you can't say!

ElPtricko

Dedicated Member
Sep 12, 2016
Denmark
Maybe they could display the date on the scoreboard.
I believe I have seen this on other servers, though I am not 100% sure.
I would believe that would be a possible fix though.

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
Maybe they could display the date on the scoreboard.
I believe I have seen this on other servers, though I am not 100% sure.
I would believe that would be a possible fix though.

Indeed, I found after a minute of research Hypixel does this explicitly for this reason:
(context: Is there a way to toggle the scoreboard while in game and in lobbies?)
Rhune said:
There isn't a way to toggle them, but if you're making a report on someone we require that the scoreboard to be visible to verify the date of the proof being submitted.
If we didn't want a date filling up for scoreboard for every player, there could be a command to display it specifically for people recording evidence. It would take a while for everyone making reports to get used to however, and isn't 100% tamper-proof (but then again nothing is).

ChasingRainbows

Jun 16, 2016
Florida
1) they can put the date in the scoreboard and require that to be visible in reports

2) Sentinel bans are done by, well, sentinel so this isn't an issue.

3) I'm not going to cry over teamers who get banned for 2 days instead of 1, not like they actually care anyway.

Pillow

Sep 25, 2016
My computer
I think that what you are saying, is that if many people report the same hacker with evidence from different games, the hacker may be punished more than once?

Pingu_

Dedicated Member
Feb 5, 2015
Do you seriously think someone is going to keep tabs on 1 random hacker on the server to wait until their like 6 month ban is over just to report them for hacks again? Every single person i have reported i have forgotten their username in about a minute of reporting (apart from 1 guy cause he was a chill guy). The ammount of times that this will happen is extremely rare, to the point of never. And if staff find out if the system has been abused (as this is abusing the system) then they will be dealt with accordingly.

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
1) they can put the date in the scoreboard and require that to be visible in reports

2) Sentinel bans are done by, well, sentinel so this isn't an issue.

3) I'm not going to cry over teamers who get banned for 2 days instead of 1, not like they actually care anyway.
Sure, if sentinel bans them the second time that's fine, I meant if sentinel (or any Mod/report) does it the first time, then an outdated report sent for a 2nd ban.
And yeah, I'd actually prefer it if the teaming ban was much longer.

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
Do you seriously think someone is going to keep tabs on 1 random hacker on the server to wait until their like 6 month ban is over just to report them for hacks again? Every single person i have reported i have forgotten their username in about a minute of reporting (apart from 1 guy cause he was a chill guy). The ammount of times that this will happen is extremely rare, to the point of never. And if staff find out if the system has been abused (as this is abusing the system) then they will be dealt with accordingly.
I don't think people will purposely do it for any random cheater, I'm just saying it's a much easier way to fabricate evidence of people cheating - I think some people would be willing to do that, based on the number of people I've had to report for bullying/targeted chat offences once they thought I was hacking. People can get very angry and hateful, and if I was indeed cheating, this exploit would serve as the perfect form of revenge.

Even if the staff could somehow timestamp the evidence to prove it invalid, as long as it is under the 2 week limit then the reporting player is practically innocent, as they may just have chosen not to upload it for a while, which is legal according to the rules. Say the reporter was somehow found guilty, they would only get the punishment that would have applied to the original cheater - suggesting they could continue making fake reports using their forums account (that's an issue for a different discussion, however).

MrGrumpyCheese

Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2016
Classic Edition
Well the original evidence is no longer usable as evidence as it is older than 2 weeks
So problem solved
I don't quite get what you mean...
I'm not saying they use the same piece of evidence as in the first report after 2 weeks.
It doesn't need to be after 2 weeks if the ban is shorter than 2 weeks.
There is currently nothing stopping people from using evidence over 2 weeks old, as there is generally no way to tell when it was recorded.

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
I don't quite get what you mean...
I'm not saying they use the same piece of evidence as in the first report after 2 weeks.
It doesn't need to be after 2 weeks if the ban is shorter than 2 weeks.
There is currently nothing stopping people from using evidence over 2 weeks old, as there is generally no way to tell when it was recorded.
Well most are longer also people can see the evidence of when it was than use it but staff can still see if it was before the ban so I have no idea what your problem here is

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
How can they see if a video clip was recorded at a certain time?
Well A under in most cases it is published around the same day
B they can take information from the clip to tell if it was the same day from other background cases
Also in some cases there is a time

To say this is flawed is almost pointless as there is no way to stop 100% of the cases that is very obvious but even then
There is still the appeal
Which in that case you can explain the context of the situation and that they were on the same day

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Critly wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday, enjoy your day! :)
Dreamer wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Thanks for the follow :D
Dreamer wrote on xNessus's profile.
Thanks for the follow!
Thunder wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!
JustNathie wrote on Egg🥚's profile.