Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Hellooooo

On 21 July, Cubecraft's bedrock edition got lucky because... Lucky Islands got added! 🍀
As a Lucky Islands lover, I had to play it! Here's my experience and my thoughts about the update.

Maps 🗺

There are ten maps, five for solo and five for teams.

Solo👨
The maps Luck and Pond are my favourite maps.
  • On the map Pond, there isn't really any spot to camp and the games are quick. A nice addition is that you can't jump straight to other islands to rush them.
  • The map Luck is super colourful. The starterislands aren't too far from the middle. If you manage to get to the middle first, you're rewarded with a diamond block, making it worth to go to the middle. A danger is that the middle is connected to all twelve islands, so once you're at middle, people will keep coming to attack you.
The maps Food and Village are quite big maps.
  • On the map food, there luckily is quite a lot of food. The starter islands are far apart, making it easier to go to the middle. The middle itself is huge, making it easy for players to keep running around and hiding in various different places.
  • Village is a map that doesn't really support going to middle for two reasons. The middle is far away from the starter islands and there is no reward in the middle besides from some lucky blocks. The submiddle even is more rewarding. On this map I tend to go to my neighbours first. When everyone on my row of islands is dead, I try to go to the next set of starterislands. I only go to the middle if another player is there aswell.
Last up is the map Candy.
  • Candy is one of those maps where you have a lot of choices. You can stay on your island to open all the Lucky Blocks or you could rush your neighbours because their islands aren't far apart. There is also the possibility to rush the middle, which rewards you with a too high reward: two diamond blocks. On this map, I was able to cover myself in full diamond armour, which is too overpowered in my opinion.
full dia.png

Teams👨‍👩‍👧‍👦
On the teams gamemode, my favourite maps are Stonehenge and Ducks.
  • You have a lot of choices on the map Stonehenge: you can rush your neighbours, you can open all lucky blocks, you can collect the diamond blocks or you could go to the submiddle. I do think that there are too many diamond blocks on this map. On the starter island alone, there already are two diamond blocks which is way too much. In the picture below, the enemy team rushed our base but died, so I got their diamond blocks as well.
lot dia block.png

• Ducks is a rather small map. You can easily get to the middle island and rush opponents. The thing I don't like about this map is that people tend to camp on the ducks. Other than that it's a fun map. I like the change from Java to Bedrock where you can't just instantly run to your opponents because the starter islands have been pushed back.

The map Science and Oasis are alright, nothing wrong, nothing interesting.
  • On the map science there is a diamond block on the starter island, which can be obtained by the fastest player. The middle is further away, but there are no submiddle islands, so you're able to attack other teams easily. In the middle, there are some valuable blocks as well which you can mine if you're not getting attacked.
  • On Oasis, you're able to rush your neighbours without placing any blocks. Luckily there isn't any good sword kit but when the other team gets stacked because of the lucky blocks, you're basically done for.
Something really interesting happened with the map Nether.
  • On the Java edition, this map is the worst map ever. Games take ages and islands are miles apart. The converted map on Bedrock is so much more fun. The islands are close to the middle, there is a small parkour where you can hop from island to island in order to come closer to the middle, but you can't instantly rush middle because you have to build as well. Once you're on the middle, it's so much fun to run around and open all of the lucky blocks because there are about fifteen of them placed together in a circle. Really well done with this change!

Loot 🎁
To my surprise, there is a lot of new or different loot on the bedrock edition.
  • I want to start of with the ore vein. On the Java edition, this can easily give you up to ten diamonds. On the Bedrock edition, you're lucky if you get four diamonds to make boots. This change was necessary and has been executed well. It's way more balanced this way.
  • Next up is the armour loot, this comes in two states: on an armourstand (four pieces of armour) or just on its own (a single piece of armour). I don't understand why these would both drop. A single piece of armour isn't enough, I'd at least want two pieces.
  • The crafting table with dissolving minerals is way easier to use with the auto craft. Besides that, the minerals don't always dissolve, so you have enough time to think about what you're going to craft.
  • There is a lot of food which is a good thing, I tend to lose quite a lot of hunger bars when fighting or sprinting around.
  • There also are a lot of block drops. Getting blocks can be though so I'm grateful for these.
  • The inclusion of the bows and wands is amazing, I thought the wands wouldn't get added because it's way harder to install a resource pack automatically on bedrock. One thing that I do miss is being able to see which bow is which using a special Java texture pack.
  • The stone swords enchanted with sharpness III are overpowered.
Stone sword, sharpness I6 attack damage
Iron sword6 attack damage
Stone sword, sharpness II7 attack damage
Diamond sword7 attack damage
Stone sword, sharpness III8 attack damage
As you can see, the stone sword with sharpness III will do 8 health points (:heart::heart::heart::heart:), this is an insane amount, especially when you think that players are able to crit and spam click on the Bedrock edition. Other players usually wear a minimal amount of armour, so that won't save them either.​
  • The poison cloud doesn't take ages like on the Java edition.
  • The poison potion in the potion kit lasts for 0:33 seconds, which is a long time, especially if you don't have anything to heal with.
  • The wolf got added! And you can't name it, which is a tad unfortunate but mostly a good sign because there is no chat filter for those names and people tend to give their dog rather strange and inappropriate names. (Sometimes I wonder if they'd rename their dog in real life the same way.)
  • The fireball that you can throw is really cool.
  • The knight is too overpowered. Players barely have any armour and it's Bedrock after all. The average player doesn't want to fight a skeleton in full iron armour that doesn't take knockback, can't be hit 25% of the time and has a poison cloud around themself.

A common issue that I noticed is that when you open a lucky block, the loot sometimes randomly shoots away. My theory is that this loot spawned inside of a block, making it shoot away.
I do wonder where the selfbuilding tower from the Java edition is. The pop-up farm is there, so why not this cool tower?

Models and animations 🧩
The models such as the "Construction work drill" and the "Hot potato" look awesome! The lucky block model itself also looks really fancy. Those were really well done!
construct.png

The animations when you open a lucky block and receive a wand on the other hand look a bit dull, as if they weren't planned and had to be added the night before Lucky Islands got released.

Kits
In general, the kits are quite balanced. It's better than on Java.
  • The cheff kit gives you four steaks, which is useful, steak gives you a lot of saturation so you heal fast.
  • The healer kit gives you three drinkable instant health I potions and a golden apple. The instant health potions are less useful but I still drink them when I took some damage in a fight or from a lucky block. The golden apple is really useful before or in a fight. It also grants you two extra hearts.
  • The builder kit gives you 16 stone and a leather tunic. Both of these things can be quite useful. If you break a wooden log and craft this into a wooden sword, the kit can be used to rush your opponents at the start of a game.
  • The warrior kit gives you a wooden sword. I personally wouldn't use this kit, breaking a single wooden log gives you the same sword and doesn't take up a lot of time either. I'd prefer if this kit gives you a golden sword instead.

General 🌍
When you fall in the void, you die quite fast. This isn't very enjoyable because sometimes you're trying to save yourself with an ender pearl.
In the Teams mode, teammates tend to kill your wolf or take your loot. The lava also makes teamtrolling way easier.
Players like to camp and a player tracker isn't very common. Making them more common or obtainable (craftable?) in any way would be nice.
There aren't a lot of maps. Maps make up a big part of the game. I'd love to see some more maps on the Bedrock edition. There are quite a lot of nice Java maps:
Java solo maps
  • Savannah
  • Blossom
  • Crossroads
  • Nest
  • Obelisk
  • Portal
  • Stranded
  • Underwater
  • Starfish
Java teams maps
  • Art
  • Dinner
  • Fantasy
  • Lumber Mill
  • Tokyo
  • Yeti
  • Hourglass
  • Jurassic
  • Orc
  • Winter
  • Battle Zone
Additions 🔥
Here I listed down some things that would be cool to see in a future update of Lucky Islands.
  • An option for different coloured lucky blocks. Your starter island lucky blocks would all have this colour.
  • A shield wand loot drop.
  • A TnT wand loot drop.
  • A golden block kit.
  • Custom lucky island kill effects, arrow trails, etc.

Thank you for finishing this thread.
Is there anything you disagree with? Do you think I missed something? Have anything to add?
Please reply, I'd love to hear it!

wxzzrd

Dedicated Member
May 30, 2020
Wow this is detailed. Yes I do want more maps added in bedrock and also yeah the shoot away thing with drops is annoying you also forgot to add the zombies that wear amor in the armor thing those are really useful. Also crits don’t exist on bedrock so I don’t think th stone sword sharp 3 is too op

Reactions: SanCookie

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Jan 13, 2019
I agree especially with the balancing and the maps. It would also be great if they added teams of 2 so they can add more maps. Other than that I believe Lucky Islands just needs one more update and then it can be fully released

Reactions: SanCookie

Kylo2532

Jun 11, 2020
Sharp 3 stone is only 7 damage because bedrock uses the java scale for enchantments
No it doesn’t, sharp 1 adds 1 half heart of damage, sharp 2 adds 1 full heart, and so on and so forth on bedrock. On Java, sharpness is calculated using percentages

Kylo2532

Jun 11, 2020
Really? It does say “+8 attack damage”, I’m not sure but it does sound strange that bedrock mc would use java mc scales on Cubecraft
Unless they changed how combat works in Java, Java sharpness still isn’t +1, then +.5...

Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest profile posts

denki_kiri wrote on savina875's profile.
Thanks for the follow :D
Desiderata wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
eggs age over time

how curious
C95689C6-C73E-40B4-9CD7-76C479A7E2D5.png

Here’s my son, I made him in biology today! Say hi to Jimothy!
UncleSpect wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎈
Desiderata wrote on savina875's profile.
thabks 4 folow
Top Bottom