Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Andyyy

Forum Expert
Dec 7, 2016
Blockwars
I'm just gonna go through every change in the update and say what I really think of each bit and as a whole

The big thing first, the game removal.
Here's the TL;DR: We're removing games that had little to no players
and have redesigned the lobby. If you'd like to know more read on!

This really feels dishonest to say little to no players, many of these are well played but ignored. Saying Blockwars or Minerware had little to no players is really a lie as you can easily start games that are often full and aren't impossible to start late at night. They haven't released the data for the popularity of games at any point so I'm going to go through each game I can think of. My thoughts on the lobby removal comes later.

Minerware - This was one of the most unique games on the server and can't be found on other servers and very well played, it's removal will be a big hit for most players on the server and the best game to take a break from all the pvp in other games.
Saying that it still remains on the bedrock edition is not good enough either, the windows 10 version is laggy, doesn't have forge mods or optifine and just really isn't what players want. It's got to come back as it's definitely one of the spiritually most important games on the server.

Freebuild - Even though it's been plagued with bugs, it's another great getaway from pvp and has fun building with your friends. Even though it's going to be missed, it's probably for the better as it isn't unique and is a pain to maintain.

Survival games - It's unfortunate to see it go but it just wasn't played, many are really attached to the game and is only really available in 1.9 pvp form on cube. I'd really think this should be re-added in a much simpler form with teaming allowed and allowing players more freedom with what they do on the game ( and without that god awful lobby )

Beta games - the three beta games were all great, not so popular but unique. Archer assault was my favourite of the games, I really found the pvp really fun and most important different, a bow game is always needed and I loved it. Bingo was a great game that unfortunately died out, it could work well as a seasonal game in the future.

Speed Eggwars - Another game I really love, I feel like it really wasn't as popular as it should be because of half health rushing that really was a killjoy to it. However, it wasn't popular enough to stay so I agree with it's departure.

Battlezone - It's a clone of the original game and was mostly a mistake to add in the first place. Even at the time, when the server was more active, the game wasn't going to sustain 100 people at once, and there's no way it's going to work as a permanent game now, possibly seasonal appearances may work for it.

Blockwars - Like minerware, it was a massive mistake to remove this game, it still has a strong community and some numbers saying that it wasn't popular are not what I've seen from playing it. I really don't know what to say for this one other than it's my favourite game on the network and I've played it for 1000s of hours, alike many others. Add it back permanently.

Arcade - It's most of the variety on the entire server, with fun, classic games that most people play at least sometimes and it's not important that these games are super popular, but they are great to have. Add it back.

Overall, I feel that Minerware, Blockwars and Arcade need to come back because they are well loved and still have a dedicated community. There was no reason to remove them in the first place and it's frankly just stupid. The other games, I have mixed feelings on.

We're aware that there are going to be players of the games we've removed who are very disappointed.

Disappointed is an understatement to say the least. Frankly, this statement just sounds incredibly uncaring and apathetic. It just sounds so corporate and is just another way Cube's management build a wall between themselves and the community.

We also think that you'll appreciate the fact that getting those games to start took a long long time and in some cases was impossible.

Grouping every game up into one here is saying they were all as incredibly dead as Battlezone, which just really isn't the case, It's been said that it isn't the reason for all the removals so don't make it sound like it is. Unless you have a warped perception of it, some of these games were far from dead.

We've tried to make sure that there is a balance between combat orientated games and games that are popular without combat.

To me this just shows the corporate nature of things, "Your favourite game is gone forever because it did or didn't have PvP in it". Parkour has probably been kept while more popular games has been removed for this reason alone. It's just horrible.

The last slot (currently "???") will be taken up by a featured game. Any guesses on what our first one might be?

The idea as a whole is fine, but judging by your history with these weekly releases, It's not going to go well. But my issue with it, is that staff have been playing it off as rectifying the situation completely is really pathetic. Being able to play your favourite game once every 3 months is not the same as being able to play it every day, it's not a good excuse.

It's been a long time coming for us to clean up all the mini-games we have and make the network both more manageable for us and better for players. With the decrease generally in the number of Minecraft Java players we've decided now is the right time. For the longtime CubeCraft players put yourself in the shoes of a new player who's joining the network for the first time (yes there are still a fair few of those!). If they joined one of our less popular games then they may have to wait quite a while for it to start. In fact that game may never start, which would be a very frustrating player experience. Decreasing the number of total games allows them to be full more of the time and make sure they begin quickly. We have had a similar experience on Bedrock and players can get in to a game quickly with it starting regularly.

This is the most annoying bit for me. Yes you need new players to join the server to be sustainable but this is not how you do it. If you are just doing this for the new players, while saying fy to the old players, it's not going to work for you, especially since theres only a fair few of them. The bit about putting yourself in their shoes is really degrading to both parties. Firstly, you are treating new players like idiots, like they are incapable using the lobby system that is on basically every other server, and saying they can't work out how to not go on a map that has no players on it. Then finally treating java players the same as on bedrock edition.

The average age of a java player is about 3 years older or more. If they can't work out how to use a compass they wouldn't work out how to download Minecraft in the first place, you have to actively find servers and not just click on yours because its the first one on the list so it takes more than a second of thought. Players are capable of moving more than 20 blocks forward. We aren't 2 year olds.

Fewer games means that we can also focus on improvements to those games. I know that it frustrates members of the community when they suggest something, get feed back and even receive the "Escalated" tag but then not see it in the game weeks or even months after. The main reason for this is time and resource. Many people who want to help seem to think that both of these are unlimited (or at least more than we have). To provide continuous updates for 41 different games (as single and team modes are different code wise) as a team of 7 developers is impossible. This has changed in recent months as we also started working on the Bedrock versions of our games too. The only way that it is feasible for us to continue is to decrease the number of games we have allowing more of our developers a chance to work on them.

This is no excuse, you should have more than 7 developers. You had a junior developer program but just stopped it, and a server of this size should be able to get more than 7, it's not impossible to hire new ones you know. You can get kids to do it for less the minimum wage or free if they like the server. Some are happy to do it for just the experience, it's not that hard guys.

The problem has never been that you have to update 41 different modes because you never have, some just go untouched completely. People complain more about the bad decisions of an update rather than much else. On the same line as developers, you don't accept maps. People literally make maps for you and you don't use them. If you are unsure of how well they will do, you can roll them out and make improvements from feedback. It's not hard to not just make Skywars maps either.

It's worth noting that just because a lot of games are going to be unavailable we're not simply deleting them. For now we'll be showing them off on a 2 week rotating basis through the Featured Game area. This is also where we'll show off our seasonal games. We've already decided what our first featured game will be and we're looking forward to releasing it, however we'd like to hear which games you want to see after that. Leave us a comment below with your vote! (Unless it's BlockBand, that's not coming back).

Good to know that you aren't heartless enough to just completely delete everything randomly but as stated before, your record on 2 week rotations is not great and I doubt this will be much better. Don't try and make being only able to play your favourite games once every 3 months sound like a good thing because it's not.

There are no longer lots of different lobbies each with their own layouts meaning we can focus builders on new game maps etc.

You didn't need to change the lobbies in the first place. They were fine.

• The old leaderboards are gone and are now in a menu meaning we can show the top 200 players not just the top 5!

This is hardly an improvement, it's incredibly basic and it reduces the value of getting in the top spots because all you need to do is get 27th place to get on the front page, so there's no reason to go for higher spots. It's not like theres a command to see your position in the leaderboard so you would have to go through a lot of pages of them. And once again, its another fy to long time players who worked hard to get where everyone can see them with the cute little statues just to be hidden away in a menu.

• New Chest Chaser and Relic Hunter locations.

Yaaaay so fun!!

• Redesigned Main Lobby (we made it a little smaller so it's easier to find things!)

Yes, the first thing you see when you go on the server is the shop, you put the boards 20 blocks away in case the little children can't find where to play! It's just so pathetic how you treat your player base by just sticking "we want your money" right in their face.

new_lobby_npcs-jpg.148816

This picture shows how much you rushed this update.

1. You can't actually read the game signs, it's the same logo you put everywhere and it has just been reused in a place you can't even read what it says
2. Tower defence doesn't even have an art thing
3. You have used the super basic NPCs with random skins
4. You have stuffed it right in the middle of the lobby without any thought of the placement
5. There is a parkour with fricking 1 block jumps
6. You have put weird island things on top of it that are badly designed and really ugly
7. How is an enchanting table anything to do with tower defence
8. The only real change you made to the lobby is replace the portal with purple wool, how low effort can you get.
9. The store guy is like 2 blocks from the spawn point, like wth

See you all in game :D
Can't, my game got deleted.

About the lobbies, theres only one reason why they have done it, not because it takes time to build them, it's because they cost money to run, that's fine. But what isn't fine is that you pretend it isn't. Theres no other good reason to remove the lobbies. This was probably the worst decision of them all, and I'll explain why.

When playing on cubecraft, you aren't just there for the games, you are there for the community. The lobbies act as a place of interacting with the community and tend to feel quite homely, a good place to chat and hang about with vanity stuff (except from that awful sg lobby) and removing them just to have the pretty ugly main lobby brings lot's of negatives.

• All players will pass through the main lobby making it easier to find people you want to play with.
With this, it's not a positive, it just makes it harder to find people to pally with because guess what, not everyone likes the same games. Unbelievable. You can already see the dead chats in lobbies because people don't have the game to talk about, and instead of seeing the same people in the lobby that you see every day, you are just there with a bunch of random people. You can't talk about the game that just ended because you will be put in different lobbies and with 50 other people there.

Another issue is that some people don't have the computers to handle 50 players on screen at once ( like me) and if you crash immediately on joining the server, you wont be coming back.

Enough criticisms for now.

Jevmen

Forum Expert
Sep 17, 2017
Hallownest
I realy miss blockwars and minerware
Are good gamea and exclusive.
I want to see them like full games in future

Abodz

May 14, 2018
How many hours it takes from you to make this topic?

D

Deleted member 426365

I literally agree with everything you’ve just said. You took the words right out of my mouth. Like honestly if the staff doesn’t do anything with this, I’m just so done with CC

Snivy Films

Jun 3, 2016
[Location Unknown]
The Arcade group died out ever since they removed some of the better games IMO, like that Smash Bros game that I cant remember the name to, and others that I am currently failing to remember, but besides that yeah Minerware and Blockwars was removed even when there was many people playing it, sure not as many as Eggwars or TD, but still, why did they need to do that

Shallidor

Dedicated Member
Feb 2, 2018
I agree with you on most points, but not on this one:

Bingo was a great game that unfortunately died out,

It had not died out. I played it a lot, I rarely had moments when games didn't start. Solo Bingo games only required 2/8 people to start the timer, meanwhile more people joined and didn't leave. I also played team Bingo sometimes, never really had problems with starting these games either.

Andyyy

Forum Expert
Dec 7, 2016
Blockwars
I agree with you on most points, but not on this one:

It had not died out. I played it a lot, I rarely had moments when games didn't start. Solo Bingo games only required 2/8 people to start the timer, meanwhile more people joined and didn't leave. I also played team Bingo sometimes, never really had problems with starting these games either.
sorry for the mistake!

Lilleh__

Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2017
When I first saw the announcement, I thanked them for trying to refresh the server. Now I've seen this, lets just say, from the fact that I play on other servers aswell, coupled with this update, my appearances will be getting fewer and further between.

Mecha_San

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2016
Sadly, I don't think this will happen. I bet the owners contacted all staff to not listen and continue life as usual. For example, a staff responding The Meme Thread when this crisis was starting. You know what, if they wait too long and be realize this was a mistake, players aren't gonna come back. For example, if you have heard of the Chunk, it been tried to be resurrected, but no one joined or support it. Same might just happen with this server that has 250 players on it currently. Oh yeah, and who asked for this to happen, no one. The owner did it himself when majority players as far as i can see didn't want this. Cube, if you want to take the same turn as The Chunk did, go ahead. You just created another bigger problem for you guys. Maybe it is time for me to stop thinking about the history of the Chunk.

Reactions: Lilleh__

GalacticAC

Novice Member
Jul 25, 2018
After removing all of the original games, this server is just a worse copy of H*******, I don't know why should I play on this server again to be honest

GalacticAC

Novice Member
Jul 25, 2018
It just breaks my heart to see blockwars got deleted, but nothing's compares to see how they had let it die, literally no updates since 6 months ago for blockwars.
I'm not mad, just disappointed.
And the staff are like "butttt I updatedddd blockwarssss" (which added two kit that no one uses and something that doesn't matter at all) Many ppl are make good (or bad) suggestion and they ignored it ):

Reactions: Lilleh__

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
I really didn't want to reply to this thread because of how emotional people are about this whole change and such but I feel like it deserves a genuine reply from someone who is on the other side. So please don't rip my head off. I'm just a graphics designer, what do I know?

This really feels dishonest to say little to no players, many of these are well played but ignored. Saying Blockwars or Minerware had little to no players is really a lie as you can easily start games that are often full and aren't impossible to start late at night. They haven't released the data for the popularity of games at any point so I'm going to go through each game I can think of. My thoughts on the lobby removal comes later.
I completely agree, Minerware started more than BlockWars but they were popular enough to be kept in my opinion, I think that waiting for the player count to rise a little might be a good idea. But they are fantastic and unique games.

Survival games - It's unfortunate to see it go but it just wasn't played, many are really attached to the game and is only really available in 1.9 pvp form on cube. I'd really think this should be re-added in a much simpler form with teaming allowed and allowing players more freedom with what they do on the game ( and without that god awful lobby )
I played Survival Games to death in comparison to other games (2k wins, 8k kills woo) and even I have to admit it was dying. The game was dead before the statistics and no rewards glitches came around so anyone that states these are the reasons is wrong, I know cause I played it everyday. The last update actually did improve the game, the community feedback was almost entirely positive, we balanced the kits as best as we could and added maps for bigger team sizes (5 players) as suggested. I also helped Thefty create his massive thread, we brainstormed for 3 hours and had its direct input due to the sheer positive feedback received (most liked suggestion I believe?) so yeah. I do think the game itself was sound. So I think we can all agree it was best to put this boy to rest.

Beta games - the three beta games were all great, not so popular but unique. Archer assault was my favourite of the games, I really found the pvp really fun and most important different, a bow game is always needed and I loved it. Bingo was a great game that unfortunately died out, it could work well as a seasonal game in the future.

I think Bingo was always the best choice for a permanent game, it still managed to retain a decent amount of players despite not receiving a third update ever. It just shows the pure potential of the raw game itself.

I cannot agree with the other games, anyway lets just skip forward.

Arcade - It's most of the variety on the entire server, with fun, classic games that most people play at least sometimes and it's not important that these games are super popular, but they are great to have. Add it back.
If they have no players then they are not great to have. Lets be realistic, we cant just have a game for the sake of having a game, just because it looks cool and the games are cool doesnt mean we should keep it. That's the hard truth. The game barely went up any players after its last update and it was also very well received due to adding back Snowman Survival and QuakeCraft.

some of these games were far from dead.
I wouldn't say "far" from death but they weren't straight up dead.

To me this just shows the corporate nature of things, "Your favourite game is gone forever because it did or didn't have PvP in it". Parkour has probably been kept while more popular games has been removed for this reason alone. It's just horrible.
The reason Parkour was kept should be plain obvious, it's the only game that doesn't require players to start, you can just jump in and play. It doesn't really matter if it has 500 players or 50. It's one of a kind. Freebuild was a different beast, the framework is completely different and it's very complicated.

The idea as a whole is fine, but judging by your history with these weekly releases, It's not going to go well. But my issue with it, is that staff have been playing it off as rectifying the situation completely is really pathetic. Being able to play your favourite game once every 3 months is not the same as being able to play it every day, it's not a good excuse.
It was never being used as an excuse. Also the featured game was a community suggestion (or at least part of it, excluding a lot of the extra features)- however I will say that the reason people suggested this was to boost the dead games and get newer players to be like "ooo whats that" but now there aren't exactly permanent games.

This is the most annoying bit for me. Yes you need new players to join the server to be sustainable but this is not how you do it. If you are just doing this for the new players, while saying fy to the old players, it's not going to work for you, especially since theres only a fair few of them. The bit about putting yourself in their shoes is really degrading to both parties. Firstly, you are treating new players like idiots, like they are incapable using the lobby system that is on basically every other server, and saying they can't work out how to not go on a map that has no players on it. Then finally treating java players the same as on bedrock edition.

Let's say you have two people, one of them is really stupid whilst the other is pretty smart; there's a door to open in front of them to get to freedom. Let's say for example that we put a really complicated puzzle on the door that needs to be completed, the smart person can figure it out and go, but the stupid person will be left behind. If we make it a simple twist and open door then both of them will be able to get through no problem.

Yes it does seem to you that we are treating you like young children but that's because there are young children, and yes some of them have issues navigating and also surprisingly dont have great attention spans, so if they stumble into a game with no players they are like "wow this server sucks, nobody is playing" and leave. If we have to simplify the lobby for everyone just to help those extra players then we realistically should be doing that.

The problem has never been that you have to update 41 different modes because you never have, some just go untouched completely. People complain more about the bad decisions of an update rather than much else. On the same line as developers, you don't accept maps. People literally make maps for you and you don't use them. If you are unsure of how well they will do, you can roll them out and make improvements from feedback. It's not hard to not just make Skywars maps either.

I agree that removing games and saying "now we can update more of them!" doesn't make much sense. If you're cleaning a room and it has to look good- but you dont want to clean your table, you dont just get rid of the table altogether and be like "ta-da!". I'm not saying that we should've kept the games, just that this point shouldn't really have been made in the thread cause it doesn't make sense to me.

This is no excuse, you should have more than 7 developers. You had a junior developer program but just stopped it, and a server of this size should be able to get more than 7, it's not impossible to hire new ones you know. You can get kids to do it for less the minimum wage or free if they like the server. Some are happy to do it for just the experience, it's not that hard guys.
You cant really make that point as you dont know why the Junior Developer program stopped, at least they tried, there could have been a multitude of reasons why it didn't work. All you need to know is that it didn't work. Also hiring developers requires money, and sometimes there's not always money on the table to spend on new developers.

Furthermore the "get kids to do it for minimum wage" or "free" argument is unacceptable. Kids that would accept minimum wage would not do as good of a job, the developers we have here are very talented, not everything is as simple as it looks especially in Minecraft. Also the kids that take minimum wage are more likely to just up and quit their jobs, minimum wage franchises lose employees on the daily, because there is no blowback from quitting, they could quit in the middle of development and this would be really bad for the server, also we have to make sure they do a good job. Getting free workers simply isn't feasible for such an important position as developing.

This is hardly an improvement, it's incredibly basic and it reduces the value of getting in the top spots because all you need to do is get 27th place to get on the front page, so there's no reason to go for higher spots. It's not like theres a command to see your position in the leaderboard so you would have to go through a lot of pages of them. And once again, its another fy to long time players who worked hard to get where everyone can see them with the cute little statues just to be hidden away in a menu.

This is how it works on ladders on hundreds of other games, it's not like players reach 5th place on the old leaderboards and are like "WELL, THAT'S ME DONE FOREVER." you climb higher and higher. I can get behind the fact that the menu isn't that lavish, but there wasn't much else that could be done with the removal of lobbies. The reason you would want that higher spot is so you can say "I have a higher spot".

1. You can't actually read the game signs, it's the same logo you put everywhere and it has just been reused in a place you can't even read what it says

You can read the armour stands anyway, it was just to add the game logos.

3. You have used the super basic NPCs with random skins
They are not random. Those are the skins published by CubeCraft on the Bedrock Marketplace.

4. You have stuffed it right in the middle of the lobby without any thought of the placement
It's symmetrical, clearly some thought went into it.

5. There is a parkour with fricking 1 block jumps
I can't imagine you'd be able to add more than one without making it ugly and sprawl out from it's clean 4x4 zone.

7. How is an enchanting table anything to do with tower defence

I think one of the towers has an enchanting table in the top middle, and even if it doesn't- why is this such a big deal?

8. The only real change you made to the lobby is replace the portal with purple wool, how low effort can you get.

Actual nether portals are purple so I dont think it's that low effort, also you seem to write this as if we needed more changes, I dont think anymore changes were neccesary here.

When playing on cubecraft, you aren't just there for the games, you are there for the community. The lobbies act as a place of interacting with the community and tend to feel quite homely, a good place to chat and hang about with vanity stuff (except from that awful sg lobby) and removing them just to have the pretty ugly main lobby brings lot's of negatives.

I can get behind this, yes.

------------

All in all- a very insightful thread. You ran down all the issues from top to bottom in a clean fashion. I basically summed up my rebuttles in my post here so that's all I have to say.

Thanks for your feedback!

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

UncleSpect wrote on gumoholic's profile.
thanks for everything!
UncleSpect wrote on itsmochhi's profile.
thanks for everything!
Lyriie wrote on Soulless_Unity's profile.
Thank you for everything Soul
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on Robbedz's profile.
Thanks for everything
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on Silverlace's profile.
Thanks for everything
Top Bottom