Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
The concept of Guitar Hero in Minecraft, on paper, sounded unique and innovative enough to earn it a place on one of the biggest Minecraft servers in the world. That is, disregarding the fact that rhythm-based video games died nearly a decade ago. Yet in execution, Blockband totally failed, and there are numerous reasons for this. Some of these have simple solutions, whereas others cannot be fixed so easily, so below I have comprised a list of all of the gamemode's shortcomings, and how I believe they can be resolved.

The game is absolutely pointless

Title says it all - there is no point in playing this gamemode. The reason for this, is because while it is unique to Minecraft, it isn't unique to the internet in general. There are countless rip-off flash games of Guitar Hero that play better music, and run a lot smoother than Blockband does. You need to provide some draw, or reason to play it on Cubecraft. This could be something minor, such as a cool cosmetic, or perhaps points, cubelets and experience. To be rewarded with absolutely nothing in return for your efforts is the equivalent of a slap in the face, given that everything else on the server provides some reward at the end of it. Not to mention that this is one of the most unstable games on the server.

Lag

The lag is another issue that this gamemode has, and it's especially damaging because it alienates a huge portion of the game's potential playerbase. If you have ever played this gamemode yourself, you know how frustrating it is to be close to completing a song, only for it to lag out and cause you to miss four consecutive notes. All that I can suggest to counteract this, is to allow people to spectate other people, thus giving them something to do in Blockband that doesn't involve punching their monitors out of frustration. What'd be cool, is if you could venture around the environment of the player whose game you've just joined, and donate them a number of points that correlates with their performance. Perhaps you could also donate Juice/Star Power to them, or perhaps cheer for them, thus giving them bonus points, and they could pay you for your kindness once the song has finished.

Lack of multiplayer is a big issue

This game could've been fun, if it were an actual "Block BAND" as is proclaimed. Since when did bands consist of only a single instrumentalist? If we were able to create parties to try and collectively achieve a high score, or perhaps go head-to-head against one another or against another band, this game would feel a lot more rewarding overall. This is because as it's single-player only, and offers no rewards, nobody gets to see the time or work that you've invested into the game.

The fact that gamemode is strictly single-player only is what really holds it back, and is why it can only remain a short-lived novelty in its current state. Adding a multiplayer aspect to it would likely boost player-counts.

Cosmetic items & price gouging

upload_2017-3-14_21-58-35.png

Let's be honest - People were complaining about having nothing to spend their vanity points on, so these backgrounds were introduced solely to shut said people up. 60,000 vanity points for a background that is completely void of impact on the gameplay itself, and can only be seen by the user who's playing? Let's assume that you're an iron rank, and therefore receive 500 vanity points every week. Assuming that you log in at the same time every seventh day, it'll take you 120 weeks, or over two years, to acquire this theme.

What would be cool, is if you could unlock cosmetics that people actually want through playing the game, say, a jukebox pet that is literally a tiny jukebox that follows you around, that can be purchased for vanity points after earning a certain amount of stars. This would spark people's interests, because pets are rare and often can only be purchased as miniatures. The pet could have a set name, such as Stardust or Blockstar, and people who see the pet in the lobbies will feel inclined to play this gamemode to also get their hands on the pet. If you give pets a stigma of rarity, then people will play content to unlock them.

Games like Runescape have used this strategy to fantastic avail. You have players killing the same bosses for hundreds of hours straight, even bosses that are otherwise not worth killing such as the Chaos Elemental of Kalphite Queen, solely to acquire the pet. Sure it’s a minority of the playerbase that do this, but the playtimes of said playerbase has increased drastically because of a rewarding incentive, locked behind a difficulty wall. Just look at how many people have asked for advice on the ‘True Challenge’ achievement in Tower Defenders.

Cosmetics and advantageous perks are a good way to spike the interests of players, and increase their playtimes substantially. Of all approaches that could be taken this is one that I would recommend the most, due to its high resource to playtime ratio, and also because Blockband will always be a lesser-played gamemode regardless. Adding new cosmetics takes almost no developer time at all, and yet could boost interests in a particular gamemode massively, if said perks are interesting or rewarding enough to warrant the time spent playing to acquire them.

What are your opinions on these suggestions? Feel free to suggest your own, or disagree and call me an idiot. Also, this isn’t the suggestion that I alluded to last week. I’ll finish that one… eventually.

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
I'm still asking myself: "Why did I spend 1 month killing Nex just for a Nexterminator pet?"

Anyway this is actually a pretty good idea. I would like to see this implemented in every game actually.
People have been complaining about the lack of vanity for ages now.
And this way everyone will get a chance in getting exclusive items/perks through out achievements or grinding.

xXNiChO_29Xx

Dedicated Member
Feb 20, 2016
I consider that Rockband and Creative are dead.
Dunno how many people play there tho :/
It would be great if they changed those minigames for Factions or SkyBlock (My opinion)

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net

This game could've been fun, if it were an actual "Block BAND" as is proclaimed. Since when did bands consist of only a single instrumentalist? If we were able to create parties to try and collectively achieve a high score, or perhaps go head-to-head against one another or against another band, this game would feel a lot more rewarding overall. This is because as it's single-player only, and offers no rewards, nobody gets to see the time or work that you've invested into the game.

The fact that gamemode is strictly single-player only is what really holds it back, and is why it can only remain a short-lived novelty in its current state. Adding a multiplayer aspect to it would likely boost player-counts.
This is ultimately the reason why I quit the game :P other than progression to the final song being near impossible with my internet...

I completely agree with everything in this suggestion

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
In my opinion, Blockband was a major flop.
It's impressive that they developed it and everything, but this game is nothing like minecraft, nor for players that play minecraft specifically.
It's sad to see that it's always dead, but we all could've seen this. Besides the core of the game being developed, there's barely anything else in it.
They should just remove it, and possibly bring back Money Walls.
Blockband is obviously more dead than Money Walls ever was.

Reactions: CommunistCactus

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
The game is absolutely pointless

Title says it all - there is no point in playing this gamemode. The reason for this, is because while it is unique to Minecraft, it isn't unique to the internet in general.
yes except it is still unique because of 3 features
1. You Are Doing It With Blocks
2. You Are Using You Number Keys
3. It Is Harder Because Some Of The Blocks Lag So You Have To Guess The Time
Of course these are all terrible reasons I personally however find that since it is unique to minecraft it makes it better

Lag

The lag is another issue that this gamemode has, and it's especially damaging because it alienates a huge portion of the game's potential playerbase.
the part that always surprises me is that only the yellow column lags for me
I really can't relate to this very much at all
I don't lose because I lag a lot... I Lose because I suck at the game
All that I can suggest to counteract this, is to allow people to spectate other people, thus giving them something to do in Blockband that doesn't involve punching their monitors out of frustration. What'd be cool, is if you could venture around the environment of the player whose game you've just joined, and donate them a number of points that correlates with their performance. Perhaps you could also donate Juice/Star Power to them, or perhaps cheer for them, thus giving them bonus points, and they could pay you for your kindness once the song has finished.
this is a good idea except couldn't this also be destructive
there is no guarantee that the players will do for example cheer them on and not just say
"You Suck Noob"
I can't vote on that part sorry

I Like This Idea
It Could Become
Block BandTM
Find Those Nearest Dreams

Brought To You By: Cubecraft
Let's be honest - People were complaining about having nothing to spend their vanity points on,
I mean it does work
so these backgrounds were introduced solely to shut said people up. 60,000 vanity points for a background that is completely void of impact on the gameplay itself,
Depending on who you are
Let's assume that you're an iron rank, and therefore receive 500 vanity points every week. Assuming that you log in at the same time every seventh day, it'll take you 120 weeks, or over two years acquire this theme.
K why is an Iron ranked player even going for this
I Do Find They Are A Little Pricey But I Don't Really Think that this would shut out the game players aren't required to get this and may just ignore it I know what you are referring to but it really seems a bit pointless
What would be cool, is if you could unlock cosmetics that people actually want through playing the game, say, a jukebox pet that is literally a tiny jukebox that follows you around, that can be purchased for vanity points after earning a certain amount of stars. This would spark people's interests, because pets are rare and often can only be purchased as miniatures. The pet could have a set name, such as Stardust or Blockstar, and people who see the pet in the lobbies will feel inclined to play this gamemode to also get their hands on the pet. If you give pets a stigma of rarity, then people will play content to unlock them.
This Is A Good Suggestion Though Because It Is Something Many Players Would Like
‘True Challenge’ achievement in Tower Defenders.
Well Do You Blame Them You Literally Need Somebody Who Has A Rank To Give You Money So You Can Do It
or disagree and call me an idiot.
Good Offer But I'm Sorry No

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
A coloured square instead of a coloured circle. Very innovation, much wow
Predetermined number keys instead of predetermined letter keys. Very innovation, much wow
Contrary to what they'd like you to believe, that's not a feature; that's a problem.
there is no guarantee that the players will do for example cheer them on and not just say
"You Suck Noob"
What I meant is an option to 'Cheer', triggering the sound effect of a cheering crowd. This'll only become available once a point/star threshold has been reached. Chat would be remain disabled. Sorry for vagueness, should've explained it better.
I mean it does work
But the price is completely inconsistent with the cost of every other vanity item on the server, most notably those that actually change your avatar's appearance for others to see
K why is an Iron ranked player even going for this
What else are you supposed to strive towards? The coolest outfits are acquired exclusively through cubelets, and there are only so many purchasable items regardless, all in which are affordable prices.
Well Do You Blame Them You Literally Need Somebody Who Has A Rank To Give You Money So You Can Do It
That was fixed a while ago, I believe. There are two alternate methods that do not require ranks though.
Good Offer But I'm Sorry No
Yay ^-^

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
i just remap my keys :P so not all number keys

lag doesn't make the game harder it makes it random and annoying... the lag makes this rhythm game lack rhythm...

Predetermined number keys instead of predetermined letter keys. Very innovation, much wow
you can always remap your hotbar slots when you play the game (like i do) :P

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
not necessarily & that was a perk not about innovation but about making it more challenging which isn't always a bad thing
A coloured square instead of a coloured circle. Very innovation, much wow
I didn't say that was a good unique feature I just said it was a unique feature
Contrary to what they'd like you to believe, that's not a feature; that's a problem.
on the contrary it also isn't necessarily a problem because though not intended it nonetheless makes things more difficult
yes technically speaking it isn't a feature but it isn't always a bad thing either
What I meant is an option to 'Cheer', triggering the sound effect of a cheering crowd. This'll only become available once a point/star threshold has been reached. Chat would be remain disabled. Sorry for vagueness, should've explained it better.
oh now I get it
But the price is completely inconsistent with the cost of every other vanity item on the server, most notably those that actually change your avatar's appearance for others to see
slightly bias because you are staying with your example
yet that isn't the only thing that could be bought
2017-03-15_15.01.43.png

That Is A Drastically Different Price & Once Again We Are Talking About Things That Players Can Buy Just Because It Means They Can Use It
What else are you supposed to strive towards?
maybe a different theme?
& If your Point is to strive for what you are buying then why point out how long it would take in the first place?
The coolest outfits are acquired exclusively through cubelets,
well What is "Coolest" supposed to mean like the flashy because if so the bee is the only one the rest are purchased/received from a rank

By The Way I Was Never Saying They Shouldn't change the prices I was saying that it isn't as bad as you seem to be making it out to be
That was fixed a while ago, I believe. There are two alternate methods that do not require ranks though.
& That Is The Other Reason They Ask Because They Don't Really Know What Those Are

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
i just remap my keys :p so not all number keys
now we are counting those though *Wink* *Wink*
lag doesn't make the game harder it makes it random and annoying... the lag makes this rhythm game lack rhythm...
yex except that is the point you have to substitute the rhythm in your mind that is even better because it helps your brain
you can always remap your hotbar slots when you play the game (like i do) :p
Exactly (I did actually know that you could)

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
yes except it is still unique because of 3 features
Of course these are all terrible reasons I personally however find that since it is unique to minecraft it makes it better
1. Okay, like everything else in Minecraft is done with blocks too
2. Which you do in other games too (Changing your held item)
3. That's what makes it a bad game.
And original & unique doesn't always mean good.

the part that always surprises me is that only the yellow column lags for me
I really can't relate to this very much at all
I don't lose because I lag a lot... I Lose because I suck at the game
Which is a problem. A lot of people lag, and therefore they don't want to play the game.

"You Suck Noob"
Maybe this could've been something you invite people to.
Depending on who you are
"Who" doesn't matter. He said it has no impact on the gameplay.

I didn't say that was a good unique feature I just said it was a unique feature
If it's unique, but bad, then they shouldn't have added it in the first place.

on the contrary it also isn't necessarily a problem because though not intended it nonetheless makes things more difficult
yes technically speaking it isn't a feature but it isn't always a bad thing either
So if I had a ping of 500 in Skywars, it wouldn't be a problem because it adds "challenge"?
slightly bias because you are staying with your example
yet that isn't the only thing that could be bought
2017-03-15_15-01-43-png.131005

That Is A Drastically Different Price & Once Again We Are Talking About Things That Players Can Buy Just Because It Means They Can Use It
But the problem is: Unlike every other vanity item, you can't really prove you have it unless you send someone a screenshot / video.
yex except that is the point you have to substitute the rhythm in your mind that is even better because it helps your brain
You're trying to say that it's GOOD that it lags?

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
The problem with blockband is its extremely late, guitar hero is not the popular thing anymore so you basically added in a game based off a game whos popularity died years ago

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Lyriie wrote on r1ftz9462's profile.
Happy birthday!
Lyriie wrote on glo7776's profile.
Happy birthday!
Lyriie wrote on DonovanSus's profile.
Thank you for the follow!
Livvv wrote on Vunks's profile.
Thanks for the follow! ^-^