Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
WARNING VERY CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC AHEAD.
So a lot of people have recently been discussing whether Cubecraft should expand their 1.8 Network or update to 1.12. Most of the times those threads turn into some giant discussion whether 1.8 is better than 1.12 or the opposite. That's why I decided to make a thread where the main topic is "Which version is better?". This way people will stop going off topic inside other threads and will be able to discuss it here instead.

Rules:
FORUMS RULES STILL APPLY.
Let's not get all toxic.
Be sure to provide evidence with your statement.
Respect other users opinion.

My opinion:
So I personally prefer the latest release. Mainly because most servers will always support it and currently 1.12 is the most played version. Besides the latest version most of the time has the least bugs and newest vanilla features.
Evidence:
So after doing a lot of research, I've come across this site which provides Bukkit/Spigot server statistics.
I've found out that over 100.000 players and over 50.000 servers. 1.12.2 aka the latest version is the most played. (Note: Network's such as Cubecraft and Hypixel can have multiple servers under their domain. Sometimes over thousand servers.)
Evidence:
2P2JDbO.png

But on the other hand 1.8.8 really is the second most played version.
See for yourself: https://bstats.org/global/bukkit#minecraftVersion
Well happy discussing.

Last edited:

schot

Dec 12, 2017
i like 1.8. because you need more skill to play it. 1.9 is so.. jeah idk any words

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
It really depends on what I'm trying to do which version I prefer.

For general, survival gameplay I always prefer the latest version. Who doesn't like more stuff to do in their singleplayer world or creative/survival server? 1.9-1.10 is sometimes more fun for me in survival because you can't just use your shield and block everything and the increased hunger rates.

In PvP, it depends on what game I'm playing. In the generic mc games like skywars, ffa, eggwars and survival games I don't like playing with the incredibly powerful shields from 1.11+ that you can sit behind for ages. With low durability, I can enjoy this but 1.9.2-1.10.2 is the version I definitely prefer for this. 1.11+ is really fun for UHC though as you have so many options to get around the shields and the new features really add to the experience. 1.9.0 is too slow normally without the edited armor values from 1.9.2 and 1.8 just isn't something I like to play more often than 1.9+. 1.7.10 can be pretty fun if I want really quick, reaction speed fights but I only like that in games without void (annihilation, duels, and survival games).

Reactions: Despacito 2

iLoveYouu

Forum Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Always the latest version is the best version. The only community that argues is the PvP community.
Is that strange though? PvP was changed drastically in the 1.9 update, of course you always have some people who are a bit conservative and complain when something changes, but this was such a drastic change... Imagine if games like COD would change their game so that everyone has to wait 0.5 seconds before they can shoot again after every shot, it would cause a massive uproar just like with Minecraft.

If Mojang were to drastically change textures of a lot of blocks or just remove a bunch of them, a lot of people from the building community would complain and argue about it.

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Always the latest version is the best version. The only community that argues is the PvP community.
Yeah I am bad at 1.8 but I'm used to 1.9, it's a huge difference, also for some games it may make a difference which blocks you use (like bingo, if that would be 1.12, it would be a lot different than 1.9)

D

Deleted member 169486

I've actually been seeing more mods being updated to 1.10.2. Sadly the orespawn mod won't be updated at all.
IIRC someone was working on a new version of it and rebuilding it from the ground up. Completely different developer though.

I like the latest version, but I like playing 1.7.10 if playing with mods. (Since 1.7.10 has the most mods so far)
Sadly, this is true. 1.7.10 was a great time for mods, and I'm sure they would have updated more of them to new versions, but some of the best mods are so big that porting them over every time a new update comes out is just to hard. The good thing is that most of the mods in my current modpack are getting updated soon!

AFreakingCookie (Hank)

Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2016
WARNING VERY CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC AHEAD.
So a lot of people have recently been discussing whether Cubecraft should expand their 1.8 Network or update to 1.12. Most of the times those threads turn into some giant discussion whether 1.8 is better than 1.12 or the opposite. That's why I decided to make a thread where the main topic is "Which version is better?". This way people will stop going off topic inside other threads and will be able to discuss it here instead.

Rules:
FORUMS RULES STILL APPLY.
Let's not get all toxic.
Be sure to provide evidence with your statement.
Respect other users opinion.

My opinion:
So I personally prefer the latest release. Mainly because most servers will always support it and currently 1.12 is the most played version. Besides the latest version most of the time has the least bugs and newest vanilla features.
Evidence:
So after doing a lot of research, I've come across this site which provides Bukkit/Spigot server statistics.
I've found out that over 100.000 players and over 50.000 servers. 1.12.2 aka the latest version is the most played. (Note: Network's such as Cubecraft and Hypixel can have multiple servers under their domain. Sometimes over thousand servers.)
Evidence:
2P2JDbO.png

But on the other hand 1.8.8 really is the second most played version.
See for yourself: https://bstats.org/global/bukkit#minecraftVersion
Well happy discussing.
I like any version as long as I get to communicate with other players.

Reactions: Komodо

Deeds

Forum Veteran
Oct 2, 2016
Texas, US
I personnaly play 1.12.2 when I'm playing on servers that have 1.9 PvP mechanics. However I am growing fond of 1.8 PvP again, as it is (just my opinion) more competitive than 1.9. Plus more people are good at it (I'm talking like tryhards that play 1.8 24/7) so that gives me a challenge. 1.12.2 I STILL see people spam clicking, or using the beloved pickaxe strat in Eggwars (lmfao). 1.12.2 is a better building/cosmetic experience though.

Here is why I like 1.8 PvP better now:
1- More of a competitive experience, especially for 'skilled' players like me.
2- I find that a use of strategy in this mode is crucial; hotkeys are common, rods are a really effectiveway to PvP, combos are better.
3- Easier to manuver, like make quick actions when needed.
4- Faster way to fight, not like the somewhat slow fights in 1.9

Why I dislike 1.9 PvP now:
1- Not many people have mastered the strategy of 1.9, meaning most people aren't very challenging.
2- Strategy is useful, but it's not the same. Lava buckets are good and sheilds and such, but everything is just slower.
3- It's just a slower way to PvP overall. Not boring, but just slow.

Qin Shihuangdi

Forum Expert
Nov 11, 2015
The Orange House
I personnaly play 1.12.2 when I'm playing on servers that have 1.9 PvP mechanics. However I am growing fond of 1.8 PvP again, as it is (just my opinion) more competitive than 1.9. Plus more people are good at it (I'm talking like tryhards that play 1.8 24/7) so that gives me a challenge. 1.12.2 I STILL see people spam clicking, or using the beloved pickaxe strat in Eggwars (lmfao). 1.12.2 is a better building/cosmetic experience though.

Here is why I like 1.8 PvP better now:
1- More of a competitive experience, especially for 'skilled' players like me.
2- I find that a use of strategy in this mode is crucial; hotkeys are common, rods are a really effectiveway to PvP, combos are better.
4- Faster way to fight, not like the somewhat slow fights in 1.9

Why I dislike 1.9 PvP now:
1- Not many people have mastered the strategy of 1.9, meaning most people aren't very challenging.
2- Strategy is useful, but it's not the same. Lava buckets are good and sheilds and such, but everything is just slower.
3- It's just a slower way to PvP overall. Not boring, but just slow.
1.9.2 has faster fights, and 1.11 speeds up fights again (in fact at high tiers 1.12 fights are around 30% of the time of 1.8 fights)

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015

2- I actually don't like 1.8 PvP due to rods. Some people just constantly spam them until they manage to combo you. Really annoying when they aren't even able to hit you. I also use a lot of hotkeying in 1.9.
3- Pretty sure maneuvers aren't really different.
I really think Cubecraft should do something about the spam clickers in game. Like some kind of tip pops up saying "Spam Clicking will be less effective".
I do find some challenging players from time to time.

A

A pigeon

@Earth @TiminqTime ohh, you might also want to have a look at this @Copy of copy of 1-12.exe
8F735D0A-28F7-4E31-9A07-52DB3FD4A9B6.jpeg
I'm sorry but this is irrelevant
Just because people play on 1.12 doesn't mean they prefer that PvP version. The majority still prefer the 1.8 (even 1.7) PvP. Don't believe me? Go make a post on any competitive PvP server about which PvP version is better and see how much you'll get dislike spammed. Someone even made a thread like that on Hypixel and it got dislike spammed and hated SO MUCH it had to be deleted
Where did you find the percentages, i can say too 99,99% is 1.8 but that is just not true. Give me some proof like websites or something instead of making some random percentages... And don't say like in the previous thread ''common sense'' because that pure bull****

Well, sorry to burst your bubble. We dont need any percentages to prove anything. Just a few words from this person. Thats dinnerbone. One of the higher up devs ov Java edition minecraft.

PvP isnt as popular in 1.12.2, but that was never my arguement. Pvp community is just a small fraction. Anyway, cheers to the middleground we’ll be getting after pvp is getting edited to be more fast paced.

As for thread itself, @The First Hokage , I play survival and have gotten into building recently. 1.12.2 lacks a competitive base because cubecraft. The new combat makes PvE mire skilled and even a lot of 1.8 players agree with the fact that 1.12 is better for PvE. Just the PvP part thats controversial.

Both versions have flaws when put into PvP, but 1.12.2 is better for me. I think the cooldown makes it less stressful and more enjoyable.

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
@Earth @TiminqTime ohh, you might also want to have a look at this @Copy of copy of 1-12.exe
View attachment 141828

Well, sorry to burst your bubble. We dont need any percentages to prove anything. Just a few words from this person. Thats dinnerbone. One of the higher up devs ov Java edition minecraft.

PvP isnt as popular in 1.12.2, but that was never my arguement. Pvp community is just a small fraction. Anyway, cheers to the middleground we’ll be getting after pvp is getting edited to be more fast paced.
Why are you quoting my post when you said PvP wasn't your argument? Because all I was talking about was the most popular pvp version. Sure, 1.12 may be the most played version, but like I said, it's not the most popular PvP (by far.)
Also can you please stop acting so superior? Jesus Christ...

Reactions: Despacito 2
A

A pigeon

Why are you quoting my post when you said PvP wasn't your argument? Because all I was talking about was the most popular pvp version. Sure, 1.12 may be the most played version, but like I said, it's not the most popular PvP (by far.)
Also can you please stop acting so superior? Jesus Christ...
Oh sorry didnt know i seemed that way. Dont mean to act superior to anybody

Members Online

Members online

Latest profile posts

Basketman wrote on xLucq's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🥳
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on xLucq's profile.
Happy birthday 🎈
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy birthday
Basketman wrote on Mintypie231's profile.
Happy Birthday mister daily facts! 🥳
JustNathie wrote on Camezonda's profile.
Happy Birthday! 💜 🎉
Top Bottom