Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Which bow/sword overhaul do you want?

• Scrap upgrades altogether

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Reduce upgrade costs and buff damage

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • (NEW) Reduce upgrade costs only (lower cost than that in option #2)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Ever bought a sword or bow in the game but found them overpriced and utterly useless later in the game? Then this is for you!

Stats and Theory
Your starting sword (wood) deals 4 damage per hit and acts as a building tool. Mob HP is considerably very high depending on the price of the mob (e.g. blaze has 410HP). Swords are sometimes used in the early game to help clean up almost-dead mobs but drastically lose effectiveness as the game progresses.

The sword and bow stats are as follows:

Stone: 2k coins, 5 damage. Iron: 3k coins (total cost of 5k coins), 6 damage (50% more damage than wood sword)

Bow: 2k coins at level 1, 3k coins for level 2. Total cost of 5k coins and deals an average of 8-9 DPS. At level 1, it has infinity. Level 2 gives it flame.

A tower costs significantly less: a level 4 TNT tower costs 10% of a fully upgraded sword and deals much more damage with AoE. A level 4 archer tower deals 4x as much damage of a fully upgraded bow and costs 4% of the bow!

What do these stats tell you? It is NOT worth the investment in getting sword and bow upgrades because of their mediocre damage output and they require the player to manually attack. This means the player CANNOT build towers, send waves, or upgrade the gold mine while attacking unless he builds towers to automatically attack.

One of the most misleading tips is shown in the game: the game advises players to buy weapon upgrades but shown above, they are not worth it!

Example: Suppose option #2 is used to reduce the costs and the iron sword costs 1.5k coins to get from a wood sword.
That 1.5k coins (or even just a mere few hundred) can make a big difference between sending your waves early, placing extra towers, buying more potions, or sending extra mobs. That 1.5k coins can be spent on buying close to 4 speed potions, close to 2 extra blazes, or 7 freezing potions for example; all of these are better ways to spend the money instead of spending on an iron sword. To use it, you must do the following in addition to other factors:

-You must be within melee range to use the sword. If using the bow, you must charge. All in all, you have to see your target most, if not all, of the time.
-You must manually attack. Unlike a tower, your shots can miss.
-You cannot do anything else (i.e. no sending mobs, building towers, or buying upgrades/potions).
-You can target only 1 mob at a time (sweep attack does 1 damage but negligible).

Suggestion
Based on the theory, we have two options: scrap the weapon upgrades or buff the damage and reduce the upgrade costs.

Option 1: Scrap the sword and bow upgrades. The wood sword stays, but the castle bazaar will not sell the bow and sword upgrades (so only potions and gold mine).

Option 2: Reduce costs for sword and bow upgrades and increase their damage output.

Sword costs and damage can be buffed to this. Stone: 500 coins, 20 damage (sharpness 29 or modify sword stats). Iron: 1000 coins, 30 damage (sharpness 47 or modify sword stats).

Bow overhaul. Current bow enchants remain the same (still infinity at level 1 and flame at level 2). Level 1 bow: 500 coins, power 9. Level 2 bow: 1000 coins, power 13.

(NEW!) option 3: Reduce costs further for sword and bow down to 1/8th of the current cost (for example, stone sword upgrade costs 250 coins and iron costs 375 coins, total of 625 coins to get both upgrades).

Achievements
-David and goliath: Using only swords and bows, take down a giant. No towers may damage it at any time. This also applies to its spawnlings.
-Arrow rain: Kill 3 full waves of blazes with a bow only (no towers or swords).
-Not worth it: Buy the fully upgraded bow and sword but don't use any of the 2. Additionally, send either at least 10 blazes or a giant within 15 minutes.
-The lone knight: As the only player in your team, win a 1v1 game.

Last edited:

WolfShine

Dedicated Member
Mar 10, 2016
www.youtube.com
Ever bought a sword or bow in the game but found them overpriced and utterly useless later in the game? Then this is for you!

Stats and Theory
Your starting sword (wood) deals 4 damage per hit and acts as a building tool. Mob HP is considerably very high depending on the price of the mob (e.g. blaze has 410HP). Swords are sometimes used in the early game to help clean up almost-dead mobs but drastically lose effectiveness as the game progresses.

The sword and bow stats are as follows:

Stone: 2k coins, 5 damage. Iron: 3k coins (total cost of 5k coins), 6 damage (50% more damage than wood sword)

Bow: 2k coins at level 1, 3k coins for level 2. Total cost of 5k coins and deals an average of 8-9 DPS. At level 1, it has infinity. Level 2 gives it flame.

A tower costs significantly less: a level 4 TNT tower costs 10% of a fully upgraded sword and deals much more damage with AoE. A level 4 archer tower deals 4x as much damage of a fully upgraded bow and costs 4% of the bow!

What do these stats tell you? It is NOT worth the investment in getting sword and bow upgrades because of their mediocre damage output and they require the player to manually attack. This means the player CANNOT build towers, send waves, or upgrade the gold mine while attacking unless he builds towers to automatically attack.

One of the most misleading tips is shown in the game: the game advises players to buy weapon upgrades but shown above, they are not worth it!

Suggestion
Based on the theory, we have two options: scrap the weapon upgrades or buff the damage and reduce the upgrade costs.

Option 1: Scrap the sword and bow upgrades. The wood sword stays, but the castle bazaar will not sell the bow and sword upgrades (so only potions and gold mine).

Option 2: Reduce costs for sword and bow upgrades and increase their damage output.

Sword costs and damage can be buffed to this. Stone: 500 coins, 20 damage (sharpness 29 or modify sword stats). Iron: 1000 coins, 30 damage (sharpness 47 or modify sword stats).

Bow overhaul. Current bow enchants remain the same (still infinity at level 1 and flame at level 2). Level 1 bow: 500 coins, power 9. Level 2 bow: 1000 coins, power 13.
I do not agree with this. I say that the sword is balanced, and I have no quarrel with them. Also, I do agree that the bow is useless in td, I guess that the bow makes a little sense besides power 13 is too op.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
I do not agree with this. I say that the sword is balanced, and I have no quarrel with them. Also, I do agree that the bow is useless in td, I guess that the bow makes a little sense besides power 13 is too op.
The coins make both overpriced. For the price of an iron sword (5k coins in total), that could have gone to 6 blazes, a giant, or 10 TNT towers!

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
The sword is a huge waste of coins so I agree with this :P you're much better off upgrading towers than buying a new sword. I don't even know why the bow is a thing either... I would be fine with their removal but a buff would be cool as well ♡

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Alternatively, I'm thinking of reducing the cost significantly but no OP buffs I suggested above. So probably make the cost of the stone sword 250 coins and the iron one 375 (total of 625 coins). Same applies to the bow.

On the other hand, I like the way that their huge price tag punishes the buyer. It encourages players to build and cooperate instead of relying on personal weapons to kill mobs.

Last edited:

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
I dont support this, simply because i could care less i never use a bow and seldom a sword because

1. Pretty much useless against stronger mobs
2. It triggers the bug kick

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
I dont support this, simply because i could care less i never use a bow and seldom a sword because

1. Pretty much useless against stronger mobs
2. It triggers the bug kick
That's why I suggested buffing those personal weapons or scrapping them altogether while keeping the wood sword as a building tool (as is).

I myself would say that personal weapons except for the starting wood sword should be scrapped altogether, but I won't vote in the poll because I created it. Even though I put buffing as one of the options, the high cost (1.5k coins from wood to iron sword is still a lot) still penalizes the player for buying those weapons but not as much as it currently does.

Going to add this to the OP:
That 1.5k coins (or even just a mere few hundred) can make a big difference between sending your waves early, placing extra towers, buying more potions, or sending extra mobs. That 1.5k coins can be spent on buying close to 4 speed potions, close to 2 extra blazes, or 7 freezing potions for example; all of these are better ways to spend the money instead of spending on an iron sword. To use it, you must have the following conditions met:

-You must be within melee range to use the sword. If using the bow, you must charge. All in all, you have to see your target most, if not all, of the time.
-You must manually attack. Unlike a tower, your shots can miss.
-You cannot do anything else (i.e. no sending mobs, building towers, or buying upgrades/potions).

Last edited:

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
First of all, that achievement sounds ace. Secondly, I agree that the damage outputs should be heavily multiplied, as to justify the cost of upgrading them. I remember seeing players with a stone sword, and a part of me would die inside :/

Feb 11, 2017
I agree with this- something has GOT to change. It hurts me inside seeing a bunch of noobs whacking away at the mobs when the damage is little to nothing. This being said, I want either the tools removed or the weapons fixed. Noobs will never stop whacking. Make it worth the while. <3

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

some people need to talk to their internet provider to buy them a gym membership because theyre too FAT to take knockback
Today... 216 wins in one day!
1711671596534.png
you dont know how long ive been waiting to see this <3
IMG_8461.jpeg
Top Bottom