Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Dudu

Apr 16, 2019
Introduction

Hello everyone,

After knowing the forums would be going through an overhaul, and reading this thread by @Eli , I thought about ways to make the forums better for everyone, and came to the idea of being able to star (superlike) a post.

What it is?

The basic idea behind giving a post a star is to be able to differentiate between "yeah this is a good post" from "wow this is a really well made post which clearly has a lot of effort put into it and i love it!". Right now the best you can do is like and then leaving a comment saying you really enjoyed it, and i think it's better to have a way to show you really like it, as well to easily see if a thread is really good or not by a quick glance at its star count.

How will it look in a post?

I feel like stars should be really easy to spot on threads, so I suggest making them viewable before even opening the thread, like so
EwTWNC9.png

Note: Colors and how/where the stars are and how they look can be changed, it's just a rough idea of how it should look like.
Thanks to Rawrbin for helping with suggesting the placement of stars from replies.

This makes it really easy to see if a thread has any stars, and if they do, exactly how many they have, which makes it easier to see if a thread is high quality.

The stars next to the replies should show the total amount of stars from all replies to that thread. Even though it's not a perfect way to display it, it still shows if replies to the original post have stars or not.

Comments inside the thread should look like so
xFgltNF.png

Note: Colors and how/where the stars are and how they look can be changed, it's just a rough idea of how it should look like.

This makes the best comments easily noticeable as well, and you can see how many stars a post has and how many you have left to give (See next chapter).

How can I get stars?

Stars, unlike likes, are not infinite, that means that you can't give everything a star because you'd run out of them really fast.
The goal is to give stars to the members that post quality content to the forums, because they usually are the ones that can better distinguish good and high-effort content form the bad one. I feel that the best way to achieve this is to give a member a star for every 100 regular likes (changed from originally 30, suggested by Story) they get on their posts. That means that you can only star posts if you post things people like, and makes stars quite valuable, which is the whole point, so you don't use them on bad and useless threads. Members should not get stars based on likes gained before the implementation of stars, as that would give users a lot of stars, which would make them really common early on, which would make them useless.

What do I get if my post gets a star?
If someone stars your post, that just means that they really really liked your post, and thought it deserved more recognition, so if your post gets a star you don't get any immediate benefits, but it may help your thread get more attention, as stars can serve as a "seal of quality" given by active members, so other members know it's probably worth their attention.

Conclusion

Finally, thank you so much for reading this thread, I put a lot of effort into making it so I hope that you enjoyed reading it.

Last edited:

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
💌 Customer Support
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
This is a really nice idea! It will not only make the forum more colourful and make it easier to differentiate good and amazing post/suggestions from each other. It will also tell people to make their posts/suggestions even better and well thought out!
If this gets implemented, and I hope it does, let’s give this man the first star!

~Fesa

Last edited:
Reactions: alqok and Dudu

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
I agree with almost all of this, its a really good idea and brings even more interaction and praise to many sections of the forums.

However 30 likes per star is way too low, I'd say at least 100. 30 is like two good memes. I dont think how many stars someone has should be publicly displayed either otherwise people would collect them for their own benefit and not for distributing as intended.

Reactions: Eli and Dudu

Dudu

Apr 16, 2019
However 30 likes per star is way too low, I'd say at least 100. 30 is like two good memes.

I agree with you, 30 likes in hindsight is too low, and it should be higher. I forgot to take into account threads like CCG Memes where likes are way easier to get. Thanks for your feedback, I will edit that right away.

I dont think how many stars someone has should be publicly displayed either otherwise people would collect them for their own benefit and not for distributing as intended.

Yeah, the purpose of stars is to more easily tell apart really good and high effort threads from the others, not as a number to flex arround.

Rawrbin

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2019
the Eastside of America
First of all, I'd start this post ;)
Second, I might've found a way to show comment stars immidiately.
upload_2020-4-12_20-38-18.png

Comments with stars should have
1- another color (I used green for this one, can be changed)
2- should be shown under the regular stars.
You cannot see which post was given a star, but you know there is a star'ed post somewhere.
When clicking immidiately ON this star, not the forum message, you would instantly go to this starred comment.

If a regular thread has no stars, but a command does, the green star could either move up, or remain on the lower place.
I'd say IF (unlikely because a comment got starred before the suggestion) the Original thread gets a star you could lower them to the first screenshot. :)
Do you like this idea?
EDIT: no idea how you made those beautifull stars lol, I just drew them LOL

Reactions: Matriox and Dudu
D

Deleted member 469419

I like your idea but a bit modified. Someone in Eli post commented (like you) about the idea of adding new rating stuff into the new forums, so this that you're proposing it's a very good idea, but I saw in your image that you're thinking about change the interface post colour when you receive one, why not introduce new rating stuff in the same position as the likes, but not only likes and stars, add a few things more to do a more exact rating (This was proposed by a user who I don't remember tbh)

Rating things (Like hypixel but with a change obviously):

Imaginative post
Creative post
Helpful post
Mega star (what you're proposing) the best rate thing and not infinite.

I don't gonna explain this because isn't my thread and either my idea.

Good idea tho :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudu

Apr 16, 2019
I like your idea but a bit modified. Someone in Eli post commented (like you) about the idea of adding new rating stuff into the new forums, so this that you're proposing it's a very good idea, but I saw in your image that you're thinking about change the interface post colour when you receive one, why not introduce new rating stuff in the same position as the likes, but not only likes and stars, add a few things more to do a more exact rating (This was proposed by a user who I don't remember tbh)

Rating things (Like hypixel but with a change obviously):

Imaginative post
Creative post
Helpful post
Mega star (what you're proposing) the best rate thing and not infinite.

I don't gonna explain this because isn't my thread and neither my idea.

Good idea tho :p

I feel like this system is way easier to understand (only have two types of "likes"), and it even serves a different purpose, it's to rate a post in 2 different levels, either a regular like, which means "good", or a star, which means "really good". It's also way easier to understand and display than a ton of different types of ratings

Reactions: Rawrbin

Dudu

Apr 16, 2019
First of all, I'd start this post ;)
Second, I might've found a way to show comment stars immidiately.
View attachment 162354

Comments with stars should have
1- another color (I used green for this one, can be changed)
2- should be shown under the regular stars.
You cannot see which post was given a star, but you know there is a star'ed post somewhere.
When clicking immidiately ON this star, not the forum message, you would instantly go to this starred comment.

If a regular thread has no stars, but a command does, the green star could either move up, or remain on the lower place.
I'd say IF (unlikely because a comment got starred before the suggestion) the Original thread gets a star you could lower them to the first screenshot. :)
Do you like this idea?
EDIT: no idea how you made those beautifull stars lol, I just drew them LOL
Thank you for your feedback, i made a slight change to your idea, just changed the position of the star nest to the replies, and it should show the total ammount of stars in all replies to the thread. Also placing it there makes it unnecessary to change the color
Also I just used the draw shapes function in paint if you're still curious
wZj5kbz.png

Reactions: Rawrbin

Entrustious6679

Mar 28, 2020
Playing CubeCraft Skywars
First of all, this gets a star from me ^~^
Second of all, thanks for the bump as this thread definitely is worth a lot and the idea should definitely be implemented. Not only the community and the likes given collectively will result in a particular thread standing out more, but the user himself will personally be recognised for creating posts like that one and will inspire people to look at his threads more often. Great suggestion, hope it gets implemented.

Reactions: Dudu
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

caraMel wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ✨
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
marshduck11 wrote on Livvv's profile.
The first sentence said "sometimes life does't give you what you want" the second one is incomplete so far only saying "not because you don't" I'm excited to see what the last sentence says!
SpringWarz wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy birthday!
Top Bottom