Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
LUCKY ISLANDS GUIDE

I guess one could say: ”just play more” and it would be true. But getting some good advice always helps, - I would have loved to have had this kind of guide when I started off in my noobness. This guide is not about game mechanics or how different wands and bows work. It’s a guide about how to improve how you play. Obviously we all would prefer reading how on earth pro-players like KLOSKA regularly manages to make us cry ending up in a wet puddle next to our computers, but hey - at least it’s something, right? ;) I started playing 3 months ago and currently have 376 wins and 1500+ kills in solo mode.

1. Use the right kits
I laugh when I think about how I misunderstood the whole kit-thing in my noobier days. TOTALLY wrong. I thought that buying a kit meant that I could use it ONE GAME, then I needed to buy it again. I was happy to realise this wasn’t the case! XD :D

Anyway, in my opinion the Diamond kit is the best for 95 % of the maps. I usually use it to craft a diamond sword + diamond pants. I then have 3 armor and the best sword from the start. If I get a fire sword or enchanted stone sword in the lucky blocks I often craft a diamond chestplate instead of dia sword. I usually get a diamond sword from other players soon.

In clouds, frost and some other maps I craft sword and diamond pickaxe first, since there is diamond blocks/ores and iron to get quite easily. In Ruins I typically use Miner to get the diamond pickaxe and then rush to get the 2 diamond blocks close to starter islands.

2. Manage your hot bar & inventory better
This is way more important than some people think. In stressful situations you wanna be able to improvise and react fast. That is impossible however, if your hot bar is a mess. Choose one way to organize it, and stick to it.

I know many people like having the sword in slot 3 or 4 since those keys are close to W. I prefer to have this setup:
  1. Dia sword
  2. Knockback/firesword/blaze rod
  3. Automatic bow
  4. Other bow/wand
  5. Other bow/wand
  6. Potion
  7. Potion
  8. Frost path/ender pearl/grappling hook
  9. Blocks
This setup is highly flexible though, depending on what stuff I get. If I don’t have much bows or wands the potions get promoted. The golden apple obviously comes in handy if I get my hands on one. But in general I want my melee weapons first, then different bows & wands in the middle and transportation stuff in the end. I have blocks in slot 9, since it lets me quickly scroll-select them from my sword.

I like keep my inventory as clean as possible and discard things when I have the time. It’s great cause you wanna be able to get all the loot from dead players without standing around while being hurt from the battle. But DON’T stand in open areas sorting inventory and especially not close to any void-edge.

When I am using the rushing tactic I obviously don't have time to be picky about order in the same way :)

3. Learn circling enemies & critical hits
My two favorite techniques to get the upper hand in sword duels is circling and critical hits. Learn to strafe around your opponent in circles, and try to be on their side or behind them as much as possible. I used this yesterday on a guy with enchanted dia armor AND golden apple (I had just dia pants!) I managed to hit him around 15 times before he could kill me thanks to the circling technique (but his armor and g-apples was too OP that time).

The second technique is critical hits. You get it by hitting your opponent while you are in the air falling downwards. So basically you jump and hit on your way down. With a diamond sword it gives you 0-4 more damage. This takes some practicing and I am not that good at it yet, but I use it when surprising people from behind, chasing fleeing enemies and one or more times in the middle of most duels.

4. Learn to speed bridge!
One of the most common ways to die in Lucky Islands is getting shot down while building a bridge. Since speed bridging reduces the time you are exposed it is really helpful. The trick is to press A+D and look diagonal while placing blocks. It’s hard to explain by words, so just search for “speed bridge Minecraft” on YouTube. :)

5. Trick the Knockback 2 sword users...
Since the introduction of wooden sword with knockback 2, even noobs are a serious threat. This is how I defeat K2-people: I let them come close and activate Shield wand just before they hit me! I am then safe from falling into the void and can finish them off (they usually panic!) If I don’t have a shield wand I kill them with automatic bow or avoid meeting them close to any edges.

6. Don’t show your stuff!
I often see people running around with a knockback 2 sword, an ender pearl or potions. This is not a good idea since I then know how to approach them. So don’t show what you got and try to surprise others! If someone is about to bridge to your island, you don’t want them to see your bow! ;)

7. Be smart when facing enemies with better armor
It’s usually smarter to engage weaker or same strength enemies and gradually build up your gear, but at times it’s simply unavoidable to fight someone with better armor. I try to have weapons who evens the odds close to my sword (slot 2-4) like automatic bow and potions. Poison and Instant damage can be a game changer. Another cheap but effective way is to attack them just after they’ve finished off another player... :p A final trick is to ambush them from behind when they’re close to an edge.

8. Make good use of the automatic bow!
Overall I like to save my automatic bow to use in close range. It can kill a low-armor guy and seriously injure an good-armored one. But it’s also does a great job pushing people over the edge from medium distance. I guess I just really like that bow... :) Maybe it’s a bit OP and should have longer cool-down or have the number of arrows it can shot reduced, but it does a good job balancing the power of the “diamond guys”. :)

9. Make a QUICK start!
Even if you don’t intend to rush other players, it’s crucial to be a quick as possible in the beginning. Try to fix your kit, food and open the starter island Lucky blocks as quickly as possible. It minimizes the chance of someone rushing you and you have a head start in the game. In most maps I always have the same routine, and I’ve improved my “start up time” a lot.

10. Use the left hand right (I know)
Some players have the fire sword there since right clicking sets players on fire without the need to switch from the dia sword. That’s probably great, but I prefer to have my food there (one is eating bread like crazy in this game!) That saves up a slot in the hotbar, and it doesn’t leave me vulnerable when I’m eating (since my dia sword is in my right hand).

11. Be smart about the game modes
In normal and crazy mode I like to fix my kit first, since getting silver fishes, witch, blaze etc and not having a weapon isn’t that much fun. In a crazy mode game in Clouds I got mob after mob in the Lucky blocks, and flew away thanks to a shulker. I landed on the arch roof on one of the diamond block islands with 1 heart left, just to see ”Zombie invasion” on the screen... :(

In blessed mode I usually open lucky blocks first to see if I get a good sword (so I can craft Diamond chestplate instead of legs).

12. Use headphones
Might seem silly, but with headphones you can hear people bridging to your island, landing after grapple hook etc MUCH better. Be sure to lower the audio of friendly and enemy mobs though. Those villagers can drive you mad as they suffocate to death (which they always do, at least for me).

13. Kill off cats and dogs from a distance
Whenever I see a player followed by cats or dogs I try to kill the animals with bows or some kind of explosive. Facing a player with those evil OP-animals in a sword duel is one of the main reasons I die these days. Especially the cat is OP, since it’s hard to hit because of its size and it fights so close to your feet. Hitting it makes you loose sight of the player. I usually tries to kill the cat before attacking the player, but not if they are so low-armor that I think I can kill them quickly.

14. If you see KLOSKA, don't get nervous and mess up
Self explainatory...! ;)
No but seriously, when meeting pro-players, - just have fun and know that you will get better at it AND that there are players that experience YOU as an impossible pro. I remember in the beginning how I got totally overwhelmed when I met players who actually could use potions. Or do the Freeze bow + TNT trick. Today I regularly does both. So I guess the point is to don’t give up and have fun while you’re at it. Stick to what you know, but at times try to step out of your comfort zone and try something new! Eventually it will come naturally for you.

15. Have fun and interact with other players while playing!
I realise some people are dead serious and don't want to get disturbed, but I really enjoy chatting, making some jokes in those fun situations and so on. When I engage more the chance of people inviting me to a party increases dramatically.

SUMMARY

Actually being able to implement these things as you play requires you to play quite a lot to begin with. Hope some of it was helpful! Feel free to disagree with me, I know there are several ways to play Lucky Islands :) And again, there definitely are players that are more pro than me, but this is what I've learnt this far anyway!

See you on the those lucky islands!

/Skyfire_swe

Last edited:

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
What a nice guide! For me, problems already start with the inventory, mine looks like this:
  1. Sword
  2. Blocks
  3. Bow
  4. uh
  5. idk
  6. how do I even reach this
  7. I guess this has to be filled
  8. MY FINGERS ARE TOO SHORT
  9. Kb II thingies (scrollllll)
Recently, I bought every kit there is on Lucky Islands, because, why not, and some kits are way too underestimated!
They are fun to use, like the trap kit, players will get super confused xD

I used to pick the Lucky kit (2 Lucky Blocks are given when you start) but that doesn't work for the most part.
Now it's just a random kit every game, and I mean, I can craft a (wooden) sword if I don't have any weapons (might even look like I have KB II then ;p)

And 14. doesn't work for me, @Kloska needs to stop :d

Last thing: I always vote blessed because in the past, I had enough endermans randomally killing me, or blazes which like to shoot at me, making me camp the whole game.
Yeah, some good memories about this game, very good memories ; )

Reactions: Skyfire_swe

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
What a nice guide! For me, problems already start with the inventory, mine looks like this:
  1. Sword
  2. Blocks
  3. Bow
  4. uh
  5. idk
  6. how do I even reach this
  7. I guess this has to be filled
  8. MY FINGERS ARE TOO SHORT
  9. Kb II thingies (scrollllll)
Recently, I bought every kit there is on Lucky Islands, because, why not, and some kits are way too underestimated!
They are fun to use, like the trap kit, players will get super confused xD

I used to pick the Lucky kit (2 Lucky Blocks are given when you start) but that doesn't work for the most part.
Now it's just a random kit every game, and I mean, I can craft a (wooden) sword if I don't have any weapons (might even look like I have KB II then ;p)

And 14. doesn't work for me, @Kloska needs to stop :d

Last thing: I always vote blessed because in the past, I had enough endermans randomally killing me, or blazes which like to shoot at me, making me camp the whole game.
Yeah, some good memories about this game, very good memories ; )

I was smiling and laughing as I read your comment, especially during the inventory thing! :) Interesting to see your setup, and that your blocks slot are so close to your sword - really different from mine.

Yes, blessed mode is really great. I think a lot of players who have had issues with Lucky Islands because of the mobs would have to rethink their position and possibly fall in love with it if they tried blessed.

Yeah, fun to just have some fun with the kits! I am choosing Pet tamer on Pond at times as it is really hard to face that early in the game :) Great way to scare your fellow players...

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
I was smiling and laughing as I read your comment, especially during the inventory thing! :) Interesting to see your setup, and that your blocks slot are so close to your sword - really different from mine.
[COLOR=var(--text-normal)]
[/COLOR]
Yeah I just don't know where to put things xd
And it's for da block clutches, you know ;D
Yes, blessed mode is really great. I think a lot of players who have had issues with Lucky Islands because of the mobs would have to rethink their position and possibly fall in love with it if they tried blessed[COLOR=var(--text-normal)].
[/COLOR]
Yeah that's so true, the only problem is the ranks, because they are the only one that can vote (you know, diamond+)
[COLOR=var(--text-normal)]Yeah, fun to just have some fun with the kits! I am choosing Pet tamer on Pond at times as it is really hard to face that early in the game :) Great way to scare your fellow players...
Hahaha yeah, I'm that kind of player who makes the diamond sword + pants asap and then rushes, pets are the scariest thing ever when I rush like that, especially the cats/Frosties :p[/COLOR]

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Yeah that's so true, the only problem is the ranks, because they are the only one that can vote (you know, diamond+)

Hahaha yeah, I'm that kind of player who makes the diamond sword + pants asap and then rushes, pets are the scariest thing ever when I rush like that, especially the cats/Frosties :p[/COLOR]

That’s true, as a diamond rank player I can at times sense stone rankers frustration about not being able to control and choose their experience with the game. I usually get what I want and am able to mentally prepare.

OH THOSE EVIL CAT’s. I’ve noticed that a lot of players are unable to handle them, so I just hit them once and let the cat do the rest of the job. Afterwards I typically apologizes in the chat: “sorry, I know the cat is too OP”. Had a really nice chat with an angry player the other day as my cat killed him in Blossom where he lightened up as I agreed with the cat being totally unbalanced.

Let us pray that Cubecraft nerfs the cat and removes the K2-sword....

Reactions: SanCookie

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
4. Learn to speed bridge
Learn to come to terms with the fact that speed bridging isn’t easy
7. Be smart when facing enemies with better armor
3. Learn circling enemies & critical hits
This seems like basic PvP
14. If you see KLOSKA, don't get nervous and mess up
Self explainatory
Ooh boy
10. Use the left hand right (I know)
That’s not a very good tip for getting better at the game
If you are terrible at PvP it’s not like this will make you better at PvP
12. Use headphones
Might seem silly, but with headphones you can hear people bridging to your island, landing after grapple hook etc MUCH better. Be sure to lower the audio of friendly and enemie mobs though. Those villagers can drive you mad as they suffocate to death (which they always do, at least for me).
Funny you mention that
A week ago while wearing my headphones I hurt my jaw and my ear in connection
Thought I had an ear infection
For the love of god just use subtitles, they guarantee you see it if you don’t hear anythign

Anyway, in my opinion the Diamond kit is the best for 95 % of the maps.
Yeah it is a good kit
Until you accidentally place down the diamond
Is that so?
I never empty my inventory, it's a time waster, at least for me, but yeah, I like the idea of the water bucket mlg thing, I hope it'll get added!

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
[COLOR=var(--text-normal)]Is that so?
[/COLOR]
What has that to do with this? I just never empty my inventory? I don't get why you look back at comments from 5 months ago in the first place.
Also people change, remember that
[COLOR=var(--text-normal)]Yeah it is a good kit[/COLOR]
Until you accidentally place down the diamond[COLOR=var(--text-normal)]
Craft your diamond block to diamonds in the way you're falling down out of the cage?

That’s true, as a diamond rank player I can at times sense stone rankers frustration about not being able to control and choose their experience with the game. I usually get what I want and am able to mentally prepare.

OH THOSE EVIL CAT’s. I’ve noticed that a lot of players are unable to handle them, so I just hit them once and let the cat do the rest of the job. Afterwards I typically apologizes in the chat: “sorry, I know the cat is too OP”. Had a really nice chat with an angry player the other day as my cat killed him in Blossom where he lightened up as I agreed with the cat being totally unbalanced.

Let us pray that Cubecraft nerfs the cat and removes the K2-sword....
Yeah most people who can't vote still say what they want in the chat, sometimes, I feel generous, other times, it's my time to choose xd

Could be me, that angry player, I can rage sometimes ;p
But yeah, a cat is fast and has a super small hitbox so it's annoying sometimes
[/COLOR]

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
Response to jollow 250:
Sorry, don't know how to use the quote system yet so my answers are in italics within the quote below:

This seems like basic PvP

Yes it is. And apparently a lot of players don't know about it or are unable to do it. Many of the players I encounter do not use circling at all.

That’s not a very good tip for getting better at the game
If you are terrible at PvP it’s not like this will make you better at PvP

I haven't said that it would. Do I write anywhere that having bread in the left hand will make you better at pvp if you are terrible at everything else? Remember, this is a guide that's mostly about helping beginners. Since I see some people not using the left hand at all, and others showing their wands (and thus alerting me of their next move) I think that ONE point about this among fourteen other points is legit.

Funny you mention that
A week ago while wearing my headphones I hurt my jaw and my ear in connection
Thought I had an ear infection
For the love of god just use subtitles, they guarantee you see it if you don’t hear anythign

I am sorry that you hurt your jaw and ear, but is that really a great argument against using headphones in general? I don’t think so. I’ve heard other players also say that using headphones helps. I’m afraid I don’t know how the subtitles thing you mention works.

Yeah it is a good kit

Yes, that can happen. Impressed that you managed to find something negative to say even on this point, wow! ;)

A final word. I have no problem with people having different opinons, but I do have a problem with bad attitude and disrespectfulness. Your comment only contains negative opinions and more importantly, your two comments towards SanCookie is not nice at all. Quite creepy of you to dig up things he's written months ago to be able to slam him. Not cool.

Last edited:

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
jollow250 said:
Yeah it is a good kit

Skyfire_swe said:
Yes, that can happen. Impressed that you managed to find something negative to say even on this point, wow! ;)
Again, when you're falling out of your cage, you can hotkey it into your little craft inventory and make it diamonds so it doesn't happen anymore. It's also easier becaue you'll need to craft less when you're crafting stuff
A final word. I have no problem with people having different opinons, but I do have a problem with bad attitude and disrespectfulness. Your comment only contains negative opinions and more importantly, your two comments towards SanCookie is not nice at all. Quite creepy of you to dig up things he's written months ago to be able to slam him. Not cool.
Noticed that too, mostly a bad feedback
And I find that strange too, even if I supported the idea of him months ago, he still brings it up, I don't even know what it has to do with my inventory looking like that.

Btw if you press the "Reply" button, you'll quote someones message, and remove the unnecessary parts out of the message you're replying to. You can do this multiple times which makes it more clear to forum users where you're replying too

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
Again, when you're falling out of your cage, you can hotkey it into your little craft inventory and make it diamonds so it doesn't happen anymore. It's also easier becaue you'll need to craft less when you're crafting stuff

Wow, that sounds like the next thing for me to try! I tried it earlier today, but failed. What do you mean with “hotkey it”? Is there a quick way to do that? Could you please explain how to do it with someone who has just played java edition for 3 months in mind? xd Like every step and the exact order :)

Reactions: SanCookie

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Wow, that sounds like the next thing for me to try! I tried it earlier today, but failed. What do you mean with “hotkey it”? Is there a quick way to do that? Could you please explain how to do it with someone who has just played java edition for 3 months in mind? xd Like every step and the exact order :)
Hmm kinda hard to explain, but you can see what I'm doing here in the first 5 seconds of the video:
Like opening the inventory while you're falling, hotkeying (bringing your mouse to the little craft inventory slot and once it's there, press "1" to hotkey in in there) and then shift the diamonds you can craft out of the crafting menu! Easy as that :D

Skyfire_swe

Novice Member
Dec 26, 2017
Sweden
Hmm kinda hard to explain, but you can see what I'm doing here in the first 5 seconds of the video:
Like opening the inventory while you're falling, hotkeying (bringing your mouse to the little craft inventory slot and once it's there, press "1" to hotkey in in there) and then shift the diamonds you can craft out of the crafting menu! Easy as that :D

Ah, I see! Thanks for taking the time to explain :) Didn’t know about the hotkey thing. Will check out the video later when I have time!

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Xi1m wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
we want cubecraft 2023 :(
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #40-
Walt Disney currently holds the most Academy Awards. Till now, Disney won 26 Oscars. Disney is nominated a grand total of 59 times!
Eli wrote on Xi1m's profile.
Thanks for the follow!!!
Eli
"What say you?" said he, the abyss did not respond back.
Top Bottom