Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Hai! I don't agree with the changes that were made to the Helper Applications and listen the reasoning for this below [:

First of all, why only close the applications for just 4 countries? I've talked to some (ex-)staff members and we came to the conclusion that the region or language spoken by a certain staff member/applicant isn't that relevant at all. Your problem isn't the lack of unhandled language reports or such, is it? There's a lot of great Dutch, Spanish and English people out there that definitely deserve the role more than some of the current staff member you have right now. Anyhow, before we start an entire discussion about who - according to me - doesn't deserve the role as much as some other members do, this is not really the problem. The problem is that Cube is, in certain aspects, overstaffed. I remember writing about the lack of staff members in one of the CubeCraft Problems threads I've written, but now the situation has turned around. In my opinion you've carried it a little too far by recruiting a tremendous amount of staff members, while the work that has to be done stays the same. In fact, a lot of (ex-) staff members didn't have anything to do because other staff members were too fast, which is very demotivating and most definitely doesn't help the 'team' overall.

I hope you'll take this into consideration and will close the helper applications altogether.
Thanks for reading [:

GHSpaghetti

Dec 23, 2019
England
I think maybe the problem is more to do with job allocation for staff, there are some aspects that are completely neglected across the whole platform and some aspects that are overstaffed, i think that may help, please elaborate what you mean by "closing for 4 countries" :)

maflenoo

Dedicated Member
May 2, 2017
Egypt
Pronouns
He/Him
Instead of complaining, you can improve yourself and learn new languages that are needed in the staff like Turkish, Chinese, Japanese, etc.
I see that this decision came at the right time (it had to come earlier tho). As one of the developers said before, the Dutch only form 1/4 of the staff team.
Imagine you are Cynamooo and you have tons of Dutch or Spanish applications and they have the same abilities, you won't get any special benefits. On the other hand, you got some Arabic, Turkish, Chinese, and Japanese applications and they will help you to get your server across the globe. Will you choose the thing you have (tons of it), or the thing you don't have and you really need?

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
In my opinion you've carried it a little too far by recruiting a tremendous amount of staff members
This is the only statement I'll comment on. I could not agree more. While I have mad respect for the entire Admin and Moderation Team, to me it seems like it's now about quantity over quality. Standards have been lowered a lot and honestly, sometimes this shows.

Nearly 50 helpers were recruited this year that are either still undergoing their trial or successfully completed it. As little as 3 of these are Bedrock-only. Let's just suppose I miscounted, best-case scenario: there's 5 or so Bedrock moderating staff members or only 10% of the Moderation Team, even though the Bedrock player base makes up over 75%(!) of the player count.

The main problem is that nearly all Moderators are mainly focussing on Java and these changes to Helper recruitment are going to cut off a big chunk of the already small number of Bedrock Helper applicants, which is beyond disappointing considering the huge size of our Bedrock network. I understand it would be difficult to differentiate Bedrock from Java. Applicants could just put 'Bedrock' on their application thread to be accepted. I know, but still very unfortunate.

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I think maybe the problem is more to do with job allocation for staff, there are some aspects that are completely neglected across the whole platform and some aspects that are overstaffed, i think that may help, please elaborate what you mean by "closing for 4 countries" :)
I don't think you've read the original announcement if you don't understand what I mean by "closing for 4 countries"..? Anyhow, what kind of job allocation could be done? Proposals please
Instead of complaining, you can improve yourself and learn new languages that are needed in the staff like Turkish, Chinese, Japanese, etc.
I see that this decision came at the right time (it had to come earlier tho). As one of the developers said before, the Dutch only form 1/4 of the staff team.
Imagine you are Cynamooo and you have tons of Dutch or Spanish applications and they have the same abilities, you won't get any special benefits. On the other hand, you got some Arabic, Turkish, Chinese, and Japanese applications and they will help you to get your server across the globe. Will you choose the thing you have (tons of it), or the thing you don't have and you really need?
I'm sorry but this kind of made me laugh. No offense, but how long do you think it take to fluently learn a language like Japanese, Chinese, etc? It takes years of work to get there. In my opinion, this argument could be thrown into the garbage bin. Sure thing that having people from across the globe could definitely help Cube and its team, but you can't just make good applicants from eg Japan out of thin air. There is no choice, as some people are just better. People who are from the same country don't necessarily have the same qualities, that's a stupid statement imo. The only similarity is the language they speak, that's it basically. Anyhow, question for you: Would you rather recruit someone who'd really fit in this job but is Dutch, meaning that you already have some of that language, or recruit someone who speaks Japanese but doesn't fit in the team at all?

GHSpaghetti

Dec 23, 2019
England
This is the only statement I'll comment on. I could not agree more. While I have mad respect for the entire Admin and Moderation Team, to me it seems like it's now about quantity over quality. Standards have been lowered a lot and honestly, sometimes this shows.

Nearly 50 helpers were recruited this year that are either still undergoing their trial or successfully completed it. As little as 3 of these are Bedrock-only. Let's just suppose I miscounted, best-case scenario: there's 5 or so Bedrock moderating staff members or only 10% of the Moderation Team.

The main problem is that nearly all Moderators are mainly focussing on Java and these changes to Helper recruitment are going to cut off a big chunk of the already small number of Bedrock Helper applicants, which is beyond disappointing considering the huge size of our Bedrock network. I understand it would be difficult to differentiate Bedrock from Java. Applicants could just put 'Bedrock' on their application thread to be accepted. I know, but still very unfortunate.
You literally just read my mind because I just made a forum post saying EXACTLY what you said thank you <3

maflenoo

Dedicated Member
May 2, 2017
Egypt
Pronouns
He/Him
Would you rather recruit someone who'd really fit in this job but is Dutch, meaning that you already have some of that language, or recruit someone who speaks Japanese but doesn't fit in the team at all?
If you want my opinion, there are a lot of non-Dutch or Spanish who deserve the rank. They will really make the change by supporting their languages. I'm not with the idea to close the Dutch or Spanish applications, but first, prioritize the other languages and the Bedrock applications, Then, we can consider Dutch or Spanish.

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
If you want my opinion, there are a lot of non-Dutch or Spanish who deserve the rank. They will really make the change by supporting their languages. I'm not with the idea to close the Dutch or Spanish applications, but first, prioritize the other languages and the Bedrock applications, Then, we can consider Dutch or Spanish.
While I'd say don't prioritize any languages at all and judge specifically by looking at quality, if you'd even recruit any helpers at all.

Riley made a valid point by the way, you might want to keep the Bedrock applications opened so the Bedrock 'team' could expand while the Java team won't.

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
I think that the issue isnt the language but more time zones. They already have a lot of people from those areas. The only reason other countries are an exception is probably because they need staff of many languages to do stuff like appeals and reports. I can say that a lot of the time i spend on cube there are usually about 2-5 staff members in total on forums or discord. So they need more people from other timezones but they also need people who know more "obscure" languages.

maflenoo

Dedicated Member
May 2, 2017
Egypt
Pronouns
He/Him
I think that the issue isnt the language but more time zones. They already have a lot of people from those areas. The only reason other countries are an exception is probably because they need staff of many languages to do stuff like appeals and reports. I can say that a lot of the time i spend on cube there are usually about 2-5 staff members in total on forums or discord. So they need more people from other timezones but they also need people who know more "obscure" languages.
You always come with the perfect comment! 😂

Hoshi

Speedy Wing Rush Gonzales
Aug 4, 2017
meow meow
youtube.com
Pronouns
She/Her
I could not agree more with this post. Being worthy of obtaining a staff rank should not be based on your country of origin or first language. There are numerous aspects of the staff team that do not require the ability to speak another language. It also should not matter whether you’re from Europe or Asia. Quality is quality. If you are well fit in the team and you would be a perfect addition to the team, it’s only normal they would consider them over someone who does not fit the team and is inexperienced.

It seems like the recruitment system has partially gone back to how it was before. In my opinion, all it is now is quantity above quality. I am not saying that most staff do not deserve the role, because they certainly do, but I am just very upset with the fact that the team could be and could have been so much better by now.

Of course the number of messages should not matter, but at the same time it is not the best idea to have members of the staff team who aren’t familiarized with - for instance - how to post necessary commentary on threads such as suggestions with structure. The main reason why there are certain members on the team who have issues such as not possessing the ability to provide members with structural and constructive feedback is that those specific members of the team don’t have as much experience with the forums as others of the team do. My intentions are not to offend any staff member with a low message count, but to provide the community and the staff team with constructive feedback that actually has a positive purpose.

CubeCraft has recruited a lot of staff already this year, myself being one of them. It was truly a marvelous experience up until the last days as a moderator. Anyhow, I am not here to talk about that. My point is that they firstly did focus on quality, which was an absolute must-have in the team. However, the more staff CubeCraft recruited, the more the quality lessened. There are definitely staff who were promoted in the last few waves who do definitely deserve the role, but there are also some who suddenly, unexpectedly, became a staff member with most of them not even deeming qualified. I will not start a discussion about this since this is my personal opinion about the recruitment process. However, I am just trying to get my post across.

I left the staff team for multiple reasons, with one of them being the exact reason stated in this thread. I was unable to contribute anything to the server and its community, only because all reports, questions, etc were handled in the blink of an eye. The bad part about Team CubeCraft is that the work is not being divided throughout the team. It’s all about who does most. Only they get the absolute recognition for it within the team. I’m sure moderation team members will know what I am referring to. It is not fun not being able to contribute to the server and team because the majority of the team handles all before you can. It makes you feel left out which is not the best feeling. I really wish things would have gone differently. Unfortunately it had to be this way.

I definitely agree with @Priley that CubeCraft’s recruitment team should consider each applicant from each country who speak any language but focus on Bedrock. The Java community is no where near the size of the Bedrock community and thus CubeCraft should focus more on the Bedrock applications and actually accept users from each region.

Shortly said, in my opinion, CubeCraft should either try focussing and considering more on the quality applications which includes the applications made by Spanish, Dutch and English applicants or CubeCraft should close the entire application form for Java staff members.

You don’t obtain fluency instantly. It costs years and years of practice, requires an enormous amount of effort and full dedication to even properly learn a language, let alone be fluent in it. You cannot learn a language just like that.

Also, some languages are just more difficult than others. Japanese, for instance, consists of more than just a regular alphabet, unlike languages such as English or Dutch. It consists of three entirely different writing systems called hiragana, katakana and kanji. This is just an example of one difficult language to foreigners.

I really think some people don’t consider or even read properly through suggestions before commenting. It is just common sense that you can not just learn a language like that and that the most important part of being in the staff team is not being able to speak another language than English or one of the more common languages like Spanish or Dutch. Being Dutch does not mean you possess less quality and if CubeCraft really wants quality above quantity, they should consider everybody. Not just players from other countries than the more common ones.

It’s pretty late, so I hope the post makes sense. It took me about an hour to write this, so I will try to make it count... Haha

maflenoo

Dedicated Member
May 2, 2017
Egypt
Pronouns
He/Him
You don’t obtain fluency instantly. It costs years and years of practice, requires an enormous amount of effort and full dedication to even properly learn a language, let alone be fluent in it. You cannot learn a language just like that.

Also, some languages are just more difficult than others. Japanese, for instance, consists of more than just a regular alphabet, unlike languages such as English or Dutch. It consists of three entirely different writing systems called hiragana, katakana, and kanji. This is just an example of one difficult language for foreigners.

I really think some people don’t consider or even read properly through suggestions before commenting. It is just common sense that you can not just learn a language like that and that the most important part of being in the staff team is not being able to speak another language than English or one of the more common languages like Spanish or Dutch. Being Dutch does not mean you possess less quality and if CubeCraft really wants quality above quantity, they should consider everybody. Not just players from other countries than the more common ones.

It’s pretty late, so I hope the post makes sense. It took me about an hour to write this, so I will try to make it count... Haha
As @ItzEnd3r said, it's about the timezone, not the language. They want staff members who are active in the times that most staff aren't active on!
For more explanation, read Story's comment here:

Hoshi

Speedy Wing Rush Gonzales
Aug 4, 2017
meow meow
youtube.com
Pronouns
She/Her
As @ItzEnd3r said, it's about the timezone, not the language. They want staff members who are active in the times that most staff aren't active on!
For more explanation, read Story's comment here:
I don’t think you get the principle of my entire post I spent so long on to try and make it as clear as possible. I am saying that they should not scare away applicants who are really worthy of the role just because they live in another timezone or country. Living in Asia or so doesn’t make you a better staff member.

maflenoo

Dedicated Member
May 2, 2017
Egypt
Pronouns
He/Him
I don’t think you get the principle of my entire post I spent so long on to try and make it as clear as possible. I am saying that they should not scare away applicants who are really worthy of the role just because they live in another timezone or country. Living in Asia or so doesn’t make you a better staff member.
There are a lot of people from different countries that deserve the role. The only difference here that the Dutch are more. Anyone can prove himself to be a helper. The best quality and hardworking is not an exception for the Dutch. Hope you got my aim!

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
Disclaimer: Not an official opinion. It's just, Eli's opinion.

There's a lot of great Dutch, Spanish and English people out there that definitely deserve the role more than some of the current staff member you have right now.
That word "deserve" right there is probably the reason why there always is so much commotion about Helper Recruitment. Helpers aren't Helpers because they deserve the rank. They're people with potential that fit the desired qualities to become Staff Members. Stop treating the rank as a price, because it's not! Helpers don't deserve, Helpers show their potential and get a chance. The Helper rank is a trial through which you have to demonstrate your potential not a title for recognition.

The reason why CubeCraft was so understaffed in the past is most likely because of this incorrect way of thinking. They didn't hire people with potential, they hired people who already proved themselves in every possible way, playing it safe. But missing out on countless of great candidates that could have had an even greater impact on the server than those who had built up a perfect shiny reputation.

I could not agree more with this post. Being worthy of obtaining a staff rank should not be based on your country of origin or first language. There are numerous aspects of the staff team that do not require the ability to speak another language. It also should not matter whether you’re from Europe or Asia. Quality is quality. If you are well fit in the team and you would be a perfect addition to the team, it’s only normal they would consider them over someone who does not fit the team and is inexperienced.
I disagree, you seem to be stuck in the old conception of what a Helper was previous to the requirement update. The Helper rank isn't something you grant known members as a reward, it's not a position that you should be spending years on trying to achieve. The huge mistake Helper Recruitment did in the past is that it thought of Helpers as almost Mods, with no right to make mistakes since they were so meticulously chosen. You say they're valuing Quantity over Quality but the concept of Quality is very subjective in itself, what is Quality for you? Because for you it might be someone who has experience. But for someone else Quality might mean an applicant that has both the potential and specific desired qualities. How is it useful to hire a staff member that lives in a specific timezone if they won't even be able to participate of Moderator tasks, because the current Staff Team is more than sufficient? So, a Quality applicant for you might not come with Nationality as a desirable trait, but in the context of a server whose player base is international: Time zones and Language play a huge role.

It seems like the recruitment system has partially gone back to how it was before. In my opinion, all it is now is quantity above quality. I am not saying that most staff do not deserve the role, because they certainly do, but I am just very upset with the fact that the team could be and could have been so much better by now.
Doesn't make sense to say the old system was quantity above quality when they barely hired more than 4 Helpers every half a year or so. If anything, they were overestimating quality, which is the opposite of what you're saying.

Of course the number of messages should not matter, but at the same time it is not the best idea to have members of the staff team who aren’t familiarized with - for instance - how to post necessary commentary on threads such as suggestions with structure. The main reason why there are certain members on the team who have issues such as not possessing the ability to provide members with structural and constructive feedback is that those specific members of the team don’t have as much experience with the forums as others of the team do. My intentions are not to offend any staff member with a low message count, but to provide the community and the staff team with constructive feedback that actually has a positive purpose.

Forums experience really isn't the most important part of being a Staff Member. There are Staff who are very active on the forums, some who aren't. Some know very well how to provide constructive criticism to suggestions, some don't. But that's just part of having a team of people who have so many varied responsibilities. Would also like to quote a segment of "We're changing how we run CubeCraft" that very well summarizes why this isn't such a big deal.

Respect that there are different types of moderation focus: e.g Reports, Ingame, Discord and Forums - it’s unreasonable to expect a volunteer to commit to all of these

However, the more staff CubeCraft recruited, the more the quality lessened. There are definitely staff who were promoted in the last few waves who do definitely deserve the role, but there are also some who suddenly, unexpectedly, became a staff member with most of them not even deeming qualified. I will not start a discussion about this since this is my personal opinion about the recruitment process. However, I am just trying to get my post across.

I had this same concern myself, even with my own Helper wave and the one that came before. But if you look at CubeCraft then, with barely any staff presence, extremely delayed responses to reports, barely supported staff help, and countless people complaining about CubeCraft being understaffed and having an absurd amount of cheaters. And compare it to present day, with constant presence of staff on the forums, very quick responses to reports, a much closer relationship between the community and the staff team than ever before, then what worked out better? Clearly not what had been done in the past, pretending that all Helpers should be perfect humans with years of activity and thousands of likes on the forums.

I left the staff team for multiple reasons, with one of them being the exact reason stated in this thread. I was unable to contribute anything to the server and its community, only because all reports, questions, etc were handled in the blink of an eye. The bad part about Team CubeCraft is that the work is not being divided throughout the team. It’s all about who does most. Only they get the absolute recognition for it within the team. I’m sure moderation team members will know what I am referring to. It is not fun not being able to contribute to the server and team because the majority of the team handles all before you can. It makes you feel left out which is not the best feeling. I really wish things would have gone differently. Unfortunately it had to be this way.
Exactly, the changes made today will seemingly ease this situation. Being able to contribute to moderation tasks has to do with the time of the day, if it's at a peak European time you most likely won't find much, which is exactly why we don't need more European staff that speak these very common languages.

I definitely agree with @Priley that CubeCraft’s recruitment team should consider each applicant from each country who speak any language but focus on Bedrock. The Java community is no where near the size of the Bedrock community and thus CubeCraft should focus more on the Bedrock applications and actually accept users from each region.
Agreed, Java is just pretty over saturated in terms of Moderation we just don't need nor can fit more people. But then this is something that the recruitment team is probably already working on. There aren't that many Bedrock staff probably because there aren't enough quality applicants. And there is a point where you have to draw a line, and decide how much quality you will sacrifice for functionality.

To conclude, in my opinion these changes are very much justified and hopefully they will continue to take steps toward expanding the parts of the staff team that actually need more people. American Timezones & Bedrock.

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #19-
The Sun makes a sound but we can't hear it.
Reesle wrote on xireu's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Reesle wrote on Mantas2221's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! 👋
been working on chapter 4 + some changes to fhg
UncleSpect wrote on vk4zuta's profile.
thank you for the follow!
Top Bottom