Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey o/

I think it would be good to make known bugs public so people don't need to go to the trouble of reporting things that are already known

I suggest adding a pinned thread to each game subforum with each of the known bugs, with no other information needed besides the "name" of the bug (or a notion page for each game/the lobby and the server)

for example

Tower Defence Bugs

Giant Health Cap Bug
Giants Not Being Connected with the Ground - (requires more evidence)
Ice Tower Damage Bug

etc etc, if it needs more evidence it can say it like above?

Okay?

A lot of servers have this, it can also be done a different way i guess too

edit: Yes, also so staff members can answer whether bugs are known or not in staff help

Last edited:

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
I agree, but it would take quite a lot of work to keep it up to date
It would take a lot of work at first to get the threads ready, but after that its just a case of every time a QA team member accepts a bug report they add it to the game bug list thread, I would assume this wouldn't be too often tbh as most bugs are already known

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
I would love to see a list of known bugs, it would be incredibly useful to the community.
However with that said this idea would take a lot of time and effort to keep up-to-date. Especially since a lot of staff members don't even seem to know what bugs are/aren't known at this point. From what I know it's incredibly hard to find that kind of info on bugs, so while this sounds great in theory, it might not be a great idea in practice.

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
It would take a lot of work at first to get the threads ready, but after that its just a case of every time a QA team member accepts a bug report they add it to the game bug list thread, I would assume this wouldn't be too often tbh as most bugs are already known
You should keep in mind a lot of bugs are constantly seemingly fixed, then turn out to not be fixed. This would add a lot of extra work to updating staff members.

Besides this I believe having additional reports doesn't hurt either because it might contain new information about said bug. It also gives a better indication of how common and problematic the community finds the bug in question.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Yea if they need more evidence they can add the brackets (needs more evidence) or smth, only bugs they know they will be abel to fix with the evidence given or they just no whats going wrong can go in without the brackets for extra evidence

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
Yea if they need more evidence they can add the brackets (needs more evidence) or smth, only bugs they know they will be abel to fix with the evidence given or they just no whats going wrong can go in without the brackets for extra evidence
This could be possible, it however also adds to the workload of whoever's keeping it updated.
As I said it's not that it's a bad idea - I actually love the idea of having a place to see all known bugs.
I just don't know exactly how much effort it would be for the staff managing it, so ultimately it's up to them to decide whether or not this is or isn't worth it.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Yes its up to them but i wouldnt think its a huge amount of work to just add "Giant Health Cap Bug" to a thread - or a notion page -

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
We still add about 3-5 new bugs to the board every day. I feel as though this would be far too time consuming to maintain, as sometimes bugs fix itself and it would lead to a messy and not up to date board.

• Unsure
Reactions: Goldy and Amazinq

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
We still add about 3-5 new bugs to the board every day. I feel as though this would be far too time consuming to maintain, as sometimes bugs fix itself and it would lead to a messy and not up to date board.
But it is just the case of adding the name by editing the thread and to keep on top of it just needing to do it everytime you add a bug to the bug board you also must add it to the public bug list

LukaG_

May 15, 2022
Europe
I think adding something like this would be beneficial in the long run. As far as I know, the Quality assurance team isn't really the biggest team around here and they don't have an unlimited amount of time in a day to check bug reports and do their testing duties. And while making and adding the bugs to a list would take a little bit of time, it wouldn't take nearly as much time, as it takes to get through all of the bug reports. With this system, people could check beforehand if a bug is already on the "bugs list" and save their time as well as the time of the team, since the number of duplicate reports would drop.

Also maybe a better system could be implemented, that wouldn't require the team to update everything constantly. If a new bug is submitted, it would get added to your own board and to our public list/thread. That is the most important so that the community knows the bug has already been reported and there is no need to report it again. And then once per week or something like that, somebody would go through the list and crosscheck it with your boards and delete all of the bugs, that have been handled in that week. The fact is, that while new bugs are important to be kept up to date to prevent duplicate bug reports, nothing bad would happen if a fixed bug would still be on the board since people would mostly only check it when searching for their bug.

I would like to see that list too, but I think it would facilitate bug abuse too much for this to actually get implemented
That could be a problem, but if there was a list of bugs with only the names of bugs, without any information on how they happen or how they could be reproduced, I feel like this would be rather minimal.

Anyway, my idea isn't full-proof or very much polished so if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them since I really think something like this could be very beneficial and is 100% something I would use every time I encounter a bug on the server.

EDIT: To all reading, this, make sure to also check Goldys (here) and mine (here) posts down below since they include some possible problems with the suggestion and more opinions on it.

Last edited:

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
The fact is, that while new bugs are important to be kept up to date to prevent duplicate bug reports, nothing bad would happen if a fixed bug would still be on the board since people would mostly only check it when searching for their bug.
Unfortunately this is entirely wrong. Currently a lot of bugs get seemingly fixed, but in reality they're still around, the only way that devs currently are made aware of this is by new bug reports coming in about that bug.
If, as you suggested a bug gets fixed on their own board, then there's not going to be any work put toward fixing it anymore. Because obviously it seems to be fixed. However by not updating the public board you're not going to be getting any new reports about it if it's not actually fixed.

To add to this duplicate bug reports aren't that major of an issue since they can also provide additional new information which can be useful to fix said bugs.

Reactions: LukaG_

LukaG_

May 15, 2022
Europe
Unfortunately this is entirely wrong. Currently a lot of bugs get seemingly fixed, but in reality they're still around, the only way that devs currently are made aware of this is by new bug reports coming in about that bug.
If, as you suggested a bug gets fixed on their own board, then there's not going to be any work put toward fixing it anymore. Because obviously it seems to be fixed. However by not updating the public board you're not going to be getting any new reports about it if it's not actually fixed.

To add to this duplicate bug reports aren't that major of an issue since they can also provide additional new information which can be useful to fix said bugs.
Yea, I am aware of how bugs work, I do kinda study this field. I 100% understand and see, where you are coming from with bugs getting "fixed" but still staying around since I personally see it on the server. I also understand what not keeping things up to date could cause. But what I wanted to achieve with my suggestion was to make the workload on the team slightly smaller, so they wouldn't have to update literally everything every single day.

When it comes to duplicate bugs, I might have been a bit too fast with wanting to limit the number of bug reports submitted for a specific bug. The fact still stands that reporting one bug say 10-20 times takes quite a lot of team time to check through all of the evidence and add it to the correct bug report. But I do also agree, that the more information developers have the easier it is for them to fix a bug since they know what causes it and how it can be reproduced. Maybe there could be a question for a user if that bug is already on the "bugs list" and the person is just submitting more evidence onto an existing report or some other way of sorting out bugs, that would make things more organized for everyone. Not really sure, since I don't think there is a perfect solution here but just trying to brainstorm ideas and give my opinion on them.

At the end of the day, I still believe that a public bug list could be beneficial for the community, but I'm not completely sure what the best way to implement and keep it up to date would be.

Otherwise, great comment on the post, I'll include all of it in my original post since I really think it's worthwhile for anyone who reads that to also read our replies.

• Love
Reactions: Goldy

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
Not really sure, since I don't think there is a perfect solution here but just trying to brainstorm ideas and give my opinion on them.
Yep, that's honestly what the forums is for and I'm thankful you're doing it! I just like being able to add as much to it as I can! :D

Honestly I do agree that the community could benefit from having a public bug list, however I just don't feel like it would be worth the effort that would have to be put into it to both start and maintain it, as you said it isn't practical to update it daily, yet it's also not practical or useful to have an out of date one.

I also feel like it could get too messy to do anything like this both internally and to the community, There's so many problems that all do have solutions, however I feel like without knowing all the reasoning behind it, it could get confusing to new, inexperienced, or just people who don't know how bugs/development works.

The negatives don't seem worth the positives to me personally.

Reactions: LukaG_

LukaG_

May 15, 2022
Europe
Yep, that's honestly what the forums is for and I'm thankful you're doing it! I just like being able to add as much to it as I can! :D

Honestly I do agree that the community could benefit from having a public bug list, however I just don't feel like it would be worth the effort that would have to be put into it to both start and maintain it, as you said it isn't practical to update it daily, yet it's also not practical or useful to have an out of date one.

I also feel like it could get too messy to do anything like this both internally and to the community, There's so many problems that all do have solutions, however I feel like without knowing all the reasoning behind it, it could get confusing to new, inexperienced, or just people who don't know how bugs/development works.

The negatives don't seem worth the positives to me personally.
I wanted to respond to this yesterday, but it kinda fell out of my mind...

Bouncing ideas off each other and coming up with ideas like this is very much productive. We have a saying where I come from, that goes like this "More heads know more". Not a perfect translation, but I think you get the idea.

I can see all of the problems yea, it wouldn't be an easy system to set up or maintain but it's really hard to comment on how useful or what effects it would cause without actually testing it. For now, sadly all that we can do is speculate. I also thought that only harder to fix bugs or the bigger ones only could be posted there, but that would then be the perfect bait for exploiters since they wouldn't have to search all of the bugs for good ones, but would just have them served on the plate. And yea, not everyone would benefit from this, reporting and understanding bugs is not for everyone.

I still like the idea, but I can see the negatives. Anyway, all said is still very nice and good opinion the admins can take a look at if they would ever think about/want to implement this.

Reactions: Goldy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #19-
The Sun makes a sound but we can't hear it.
Reesle wrote on xireu's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Reesle wrote on Mantas2221's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! 👋
been working on chapter 4 + some changes to fhg
UncleSpect wrote on vk4zuta's profile.
thank you for the follow!
Top Bottom