Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Fliqa

Forum Expert
Mar 13, 2017
Belgium
Hello, I've got a small suggestion.

Whenever a normal member changes their profile picture, and the picture's/gif's above 50 KB, it'll give you an error message. Normal members cannot take a profile picture/gif above 50 KB, I honestly have no clue why. But why does this bother me so much? Well, in the first place, Staff members can take any picture/gif they want. It doesn't matter if it's above or under 50 KB. I don't know why they would deserve it more than normal members. I'm not gonna lie, my profile picture is above 50 KB and was uploaded by a Staff Member. Which is also why I don't change it. I know I won't be able to change it back to this profile picture if I took a different profile picture. We can't take any picture/gif above 50 KB and I'd really appreciate it, if they changed this.

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-29 om 17.29.50.png

This is not only for profile pictures, but also on the reports site with uploading pictures above 5 MB. That may seem big, but it's not enough. At least not for me. I'm unable to make reports without cutting/cropping the picture(s). And that takes effort and time. Sometimes, even when I cropped the picture, it still doesn't work. I'd also really appreciate it, if they could change this. I want to be able to make reports without losing so much time on cropping it.

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-29 om 17.49.43.png

For the profile picture, do not tell me to use gravatar. I have tried it and it doesn't work for gifs + you're forced to take a square shape.

Before you disagree and comment, please note this: Just because you don't have this and you can take profile pictures above 50 KB, it doesn't mean they don't have to change this and that others aren't struggling with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
Although it bothers me the maximum file size for avatars is 50kb (and should really be higher HINT HINT) you can just go to a JPG converter to reduce file sizes for reports.

Fliqa

Forum Expert
Mar 13, 2017
Belgium
you can just go to a JPG converter to reduce file sizes for reports.

I'm unable to make reports without cutting/cropping the picture(s). And that takes effort and time. Sometimes, even when I cropped the picture, it still doesn't work. I'd also really appreciate it, if they could change this. I want to be able to make reports without losing so much time on cropping it.
Read the whole thread before commenting, thank you.

Fliqa

Forum Expert
Mar 13, 2017
Belgium
(and should really be higher HINT HINT)
You didn't have to say that in such a disrespectful way. But, the reason I want it to be higher, is because when we take a picture/gif as profile picture which is under 50 KB, it's mostly a small picture/gif and the quality is really, really bad. And no one wants a profile picture that's small with a bad quality. Some people may don't mind, but others actually do mind.

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
So basically. The 50KB amount is only a problem for GIFs, the problem is that most people take their 1200x1200 profile picture and just try to slam it onto the forums which obviously isn't going to work, because what you are doing is putting all that image on the forums servers which is why the 50KB limit exists in the first place. It is a biiiitt too low but it still shouldn't be a problem if you know what you are doing.

Anything that is exactly this size (200x200) will work as a jpeg, 80% of PNGs will work. Because that is essentially the size of a profile picture and likely the biggest you will see it. Dont give me that guff about "CROPPING TAKES EFFORT", 1 minute in MS Paint is not effort, you can even export straight to .jpeg from MS Paint at the same time. So profile pictures are easy.
nDBoyv3.png

I agree with your point on GIFS, because those are large and very complicated to the average person- however forums werent really made for .gifs as profile pictures.

-----

As for the reports site, I think you have a visual glitch. Because there is no way your single screenshot is above 5MB. I have taken 25,692 screenshots of (1920x1080) resolution and the absolute biggest I managed to get was 3MB, majority were about 1MB. A 4K screenshot is 5.5MB. If you are using a 4K display then you should really be throwing it into MS Paint for 1 minute to reduce the size slightly.

If you are certain it's not a glitch then give me the screenshot you claim is higher than 5MB so I can see what's going on here because it's incredibly abnormal.

Blocky

Forum Expert
Jun 3, 2017
So basically. The 50KB amount is only a problem for GIFs, the problem is that most people take their 1200x1200 profile picture and just try to slam it onto the forums which obviously isn't going to work, because what you are doing is putting all that image on the forums servers which is why the 50KB limit exists in the first place. It is a biiiitt too low but it still shouldn't be a problem if you know what you are doing.

Anything that is exactly this size (200x200) will work as a jpeg, 80% of PNGs will work. Because that is essentially the size of a profile picture and likely the biggest you will see it. Dont give me that guff about "CROPPING TAKES EFFORT", 1 minute in MS Paint is not effort, you can even export straight to .jpeg from MS Paint at the same time. So profile pictures are easy.
nDBoyv3.png

I agree with your point on GIFS, because those are large and very complicated to the average person- however forums werent really made for .gifs as profile pictures.

-----

As for the reports site, I think you have a visual glitch. Because there is no way your single screenshot is above 5MB. I have taken 25,692 screenshots of (1920x1080) resolution and the absolute biggest I managed to get was 3MB, majority were about 1MB. A 4K screenshot is 5.5MB. If you are using a 4K display then you should really be throwing it into MS Paint for 1 minute to reduce the size slightly.

If you are certain it's not a glitch then give me the screenshot you claim is higher than 5MB so I can see what's going on here because it's incredibly abnormal.
Then why are only staff members allowed to bypass that 50kb limit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fliqa

Blocky

Forum Expert
Jun 3, 2017
Because staff members are trusted to use things responsibly. Plus there are way less of them in comparison to regular members.
What's the difference between abusing a picture or a moving picture? If someone abused one of those the effect will still be the same.

Blocky

Forum Expert
Jun 3, 2017
Exactly, regular players cant abuse either at this time due to the limit.
Eh? It's a well known fact that there plenty of unallowed pic's out there that meet the size requirements to be used as a pf

Spam pot

Oct 14, 2018
How about, Making the limit 2MB profile pics, for Plus members? Those are rare, Especially on forums? Thoughts?

Lezappen

Forum Expert
Jan 30, 2016
Toulouse (France)
Then why are only staff members allowed to bypass that 50kb limit?

Because staff members are trusted to use things responsibly. Plus there are way less of them in comparison to regular members.

It's a well known fact that there plenty of unallowed pic's out there that meet the size requirements to be used as a pf

You've just given another reason that goes to show that regular members cannot be trusted with limitless size requirements.

Blocky

Forum Expert
Jun 3, 2017
I wasnt talking about inappropriate pictures this entire time. When I said staff use them appropriately I meant suitably sized and not uploading like a 500mb picture.
Well, the main suggestion was to increase the 50 kb limit a bit. Not removing the limit completly so that whole movies can be used as a pf pic.

Reactions: Fliqa

Fliqa

Forum Expert
Mar 13, 2017
Belgium

nDBoyv3.png

-----

Well, I can't take any picture or gif which is above 50 KB as profile picture. It's not just the gifs that create a problem. Remember my last profile picture? I got it from google. It was over 50 KB, good quality of course, looked pretty good in my opinion. But I just couldn't upload it. I had to give it such a low and bad quality, and it actually took me 10-20 minutes before I could take it as my profile picture. Also, I just really, really hate square shapes. I don't want my profile picture to be in that kind of shape. I've always liked the shape like I have now. Also, cropping actually does take time and effort. Maybe you're just not struggling with it, if you're not, don't be like "cRoPpInG TaKeS EfFoRt", since that's not only really disrespectful, you actually don't even know how it feels. Plus, you're a Staff member, you don't have to complain about anything. Don't come here like 'Profile pictures are easy." since that's just dumb 'cause you've been Staff for quite a long time. When you resign one day, you'll understand. Only members know the frustration, maybe some new Staff members too. But, I don't expect you to feel how it is.

Whenever I want to make a report, cropping the picture really does take time and effort. Eventually, I get tired of it and don't see the point of putting effort in it anymore. At least try to understand this.

Reactions: SenatorKarma
Members Online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #55-
If a big or medium slime or magma cube is named with a name tag, and then dies, its smaller versions will have the same name.
Mintypie231 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy birthday green budgie!! 🎂🎈
Xi1m wrote on Capitan's profile.
you’re officially cool
IMG_9112.jpeg
Eli wrote on matcha's profile.
Happy to see you around! :)
I got my first 20k kills in FFA!:D
20 000 kills in ffa picture 2.png
Top Bottom