Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

qMelonn

Novice Member
Jan 15, 2021
Canada
In my opinion, the removal of 1.8 is more beneficial than not. I can see why some people are upset about it, and as a 1.8 PVPer myself, it is a little saddening. But just reading the information in the thread alone has helped me understand their reasoning.
... 1.8 is pulling anywhere between 0.7-1.2 % of our entire player base, and the majority of our decisions in terms of design and gameplay mechanics are being stagnated because of it.
Looking at it using a percentage instead of exact numbers of players, the fact that it sometimes doesn't even pull 1% of the player base on the server is a big reason why they are updating it. The limitations it causes on things like new maps/lobbies with the newer blocks, cosmetics, and even the anti-cheat, are pretty big things. Losing around 1% of the players to benefit the other 99% that play on newer versions is a positive to the server.

As you said, a LOT more players will be on during this summer vacation due to obvious reasons. However, the majority of these new players will likely be playing on newer versions of the game anyways, due to 1.16 obviously being the most popular version right now. I can't imagine with the higher number of players during this summer, that 1% will turn into something like 10% or even more. It will still be cutting off close to the same percentage of players, having the same effect and same benefit to the higher number of players.

Overall, it is obviously sad to see 1.8 go, and of course the server will lose out on some players and a decent community, but it will make the experience more enjoyable for the players that do stick around. I'm personally gonna practice 1.9 PVP a ton now, so I can enjoy the new features.

There will be a community talk about this in the Cubecraft Discord server at 6pm BST tomorrow (Saturday). I recommend going to check it out so you can see more details from the staff team themselves on why they decided to update.

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
i think the update to 1.12 is actually a good thing as it opens new doors for new maps, gamemodes and huge updates (like new mobs and towers in TD). its a shame for the 1.8 pvp'ers, but i think refusing to update because of this small % of the player base would only make the server less fun for the greater % that does play 1.9+. new stuff=new chances for the server to grow.

• Love
Reactions: Dualninja

Texbirds

Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2020
Bird
Personally I don't like it when people use the argument of 'summer vacation is coming up'. Ofcourse it is, and ofcourse it's going to inflate the player counts of both 1.9 and 1.8, but the percentage of daily players on 1.8 compared to 1.9 will likely stay the same, as the amount of 1.9 players also increases.

Of course with no updates and an anti-cheat who doesnt always work, people will eventually maybe get tired of the same games and move on to different servers.
The anti cheat was really really bad on 1.9 at some point aswell, but this didn't have much of an effect on the player count. I don't believe fixing everything for 1.8 is just going to triple the player count. That wouldn't make sense.

You have to understand that every day, 1.8 is getting older, and it will probably some day die out. Because the newest players all play on the latest versions the first time they play, 1.9+ is going to only gain more attention, whilst 1.8 is only going to die down more and more.

I think it's a bad argument to say 'oh you didn't keep anything up to date and new content wasn't getting added and that's why it died down'. That's just simply not true. Even if they kept everything up to date and even if anticheat worked properly, do you really honestly think the player count would just magically double?

Some day, it's time to move on. And that day is coming in June. Improving and updating the server will only increase player count. You can't keep 1.8 around forever, especially if it's slowly dying. You have to be realistic and pull the plug eventually, it's simply not worth it for a server of this magnitude to save a small community like the 1.8 community.

There are more servers out there that support 1.8 that also have an intruiging community, just because CubeCraft 1.8 is the only thing you enjoy doesn't mean it has to be kept around. Cube shouldn't have to pay for your lack of interest in other servers.

• Love
Apr 16, 2021
Personally I don't like it when people use the argument of 'summer vacation is coming up'. Ofcourse it is, and ofcourse it's going to inflate the player counts of both 1.9 and 1.8, but the percentage of daily players on 1.8 compared to 1.9 will likely stay the same, as the amount of 1.9 players also increases.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Texbirds

Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2020
Bird
Alright, then why do you think that cubecraft has lost a lot of players on 1.8 these last couple of years, while Hypixel still has a good amount of 1.8 players? It can't necessarily be just because new versions come out, cause then that would affect Hypixel as well.
Most youtubers play on Hypixel, small and big ones alike. This pulls a lot of players. On top of that, I think hypixel has one of the most consistent communities. If you've been playing for a while and if you want to play 1.8, Hypixel is the place to go. Everyone knows this. They offer the most content, and no matter how much content Cube would've added, Hypixel would have always kept that monopoly on 1.8.

You have to understand that there's always someone that has to be the best. In this case, for 1.8, it's hypixel. They're leagues above every other 1.8 community

The Cubecraft 1.8 community was very small and it was mainly the same players playing every day, not a lot of new people were joining, and a lot of people were leaving because of lack of interest. This is not the case for Hypixel, because all the 1.8 players automatically flock to Hypixel, only increasing the player count. No one has ever thought 'I'm really in the mood to find a big, fun, intruiging 1.8 community. I'm going to play on CubeCraft!'.

I don't understand what your obsession with Cubecraft's 1.8 is. Is it not completely fair that Cubecraft wants to stop wasting money and time on 1.8 and instead invest as much time and effort into 1.9? We have to move on and I think it's a good thing that CubeCraft is going to focus on maintaining the 1.9 community.

• Love
Apr 16, 2021
The Cubecraft 1.8 community was very small and it was mainly the same players playing every day, not a lot of new people were joining, and a lot of people were leaving because of lack of interest. This is not the case for Hypixel, because all the 1.8 players automatically flock to Hypixel, only increasing the player count. No one has ever thought 'I'm really in the mood to find a big, fun, intruiging 1.8 community. I'm going to play on CubeCraft!'.
How long have you played on cubecraft? For me, Ive been here for 5 years on 1.8 and Ive seen the changes that have been made and how that has impacted the player base. The 1.8 community was not very small compared to other servers. And what youre implying with "not a lot of new people were joining" is not true either. With time the player base has gone down, and I think that is also impacted with newer versions and updates from the staff that has not been the best ideas.

Im not obsessed with cubecraft 1.8. However, I do find it sad how theyre removing it. I understand how its the best for the server, but the community on 1.8 is being broken. And for us, the players here, that is sad and that is why we are trying to speak up and fight back to use our voice.

Reactions: Skoedel

Texbirds

Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2020
Bird
How long have you played on cubecraft? For me, Ive been here for 5 years on 1.8 and Ive seen the changes that have been made and how that has impacted the player base.
I've been playing for 6 years with pauses in between. I don't know what your argument is. Could you also maybe give me an example of a change that has been made and how that has impacted the player base?
The 1.8 community was not very small compared to other servers.
Do you think that maybe that has to do with the fact that every day, 1.8 is getting older and older?
And what youre implying with "not a lot of new people were joining" is not true either.
Then how has the player count gone down? What is your argument?
Im not obsessed with cubecraft 1.8. However, I do find it sad how theyre removing it.
Obviously it is sad to see a community vanish but most people either adapt to 1.9, switch to bedrock, or just find a different 1.8 server to play on. Holding on to 1.8 isn't going to help you.

Texbirds

Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2020
Bird
Have you even read my post? I've mentioned some of the things there.
You're essentially admitting that Cube's 1.8 is dying, you're not listing any arguments. You're just saying more people have joined over these last few days, which can be attributed to the fact that since 1.8 is dying, some people wanna experience it one last time. It's stupid to say 'the player count hasn't gone down at all! 1.8 is alive!' you're saying 2 completely different things.

You're saying that 1.8 is dying and it's Cube's fault and you're saying that there are a few more players now so it's not dying at all. Make up your mind.
Unbalanced teams makes the game take ages to start, so players get tired of waiting.
This is because of the low player count and this has nothing to do with any update
But some of the updates that Ive never heard anyone say they have liked is how they have changed the itemes in the chests, as in removing some of the items, changing where you can find the loot etc.
Unlikeable updates didn't kill 1.8. The passage of time did. On top of that, none of what you listed was any major update, just minor changes to the way you play the game.
After the lobby switched, there is a lack of open maps which makes it difficult to play with a party with 3+ players.
I don't understand your argument. Because of the lobby update there are less skywars teams maps to play on? Are you sure there aren't that many maps anymore because Cubecraft's 1.8 is slowly losing players?
I am not going to discuss this any further with you because it is pointless.
It is pointless because your arguments make no sense and nothing you can do will save 1.8. Why did you make a thread if discussing anything is pointless?
What we are doing on 1.8 rn, is using our voice because this is a place with freedom of speech. So if I want to make a thread with my opinions, my experience and my thought then that is what I am going to do, and telling me to let go is not something that I can just do.
Ofcourse you can make a thread but you can expect backlash. All I'm saying is it's pointless to hold on to 1.8, it's going to go one day. I'm not telling you you can't make a thread or voice your opinions. I am just saying that I dont think it'll be healthy for you to hold on to 1.8.

Texbirds

Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2020
Bird
Of course I know that people will comment, and express their opinions as well, regardless if they agree or not. Im just telling you I am not going to waste my time discussing it with some rando here that probably plays bedrock.
yea i thought u made a throwaway and i guess i was right, jannicke.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Desiderata's profile.
💙
Nightmare wrote on linkxniko's profile.
Thanks for the follow!
Xi1m wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
we want cubecraft 2023 :(
Top Bottom