Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Which of my suggestions do you agree with?

• 1 - A

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 1 - B

• 2 - A

• 2 - B

• 3 - A

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 3 - B

• 3 - C

• 4 - A

• 4 - B

• 5 - A

• 5 - B

• 6 - A

• 6 - B

• 6 - C

• 6 - D

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daniel_H212

May 8, 2016
my personal hell
I have been playing with the new eggwars update, and I asked around, every match, who loves the update and who doesn't. So far, the results are that though most of the people do not hate the update (read: some do hate it), very few people actually love it completely.

The update is quite large, so flaws were obviously expected. All in all, I believe this update is about half and half with positive and negative changes. However, many of the mistakes can be easily fixed, so I have compiled a list of flaws with the new update, and my suggested solutions:

1. The new generators.
One of the things people immediately see in this new update, in-game, is the new generators. They are fancy, they looks cool to a lot of people, but they are actually too fancy for their purpose.

A - The appearance:
The sign (now painting) about the generators are supposed to show the level of the generators, and nothing more. Now, there is a dial that shows the level of the generators, which makes it actually less clear than before. Though it is not too bad, I feel that Cube can do better.

I propose that the generator looks be re-done, to give more information to the players, and to make it easier to see the level from above, even if some players do not have optifine zoom. The left side of the generators should show, in a large number, the level of the generator, with 0 representing broken. On the right side, slightly smaller text and icons should be used to indicate the spawn speed of the generator, as well as the cost to upgrade it. This will greatly help newer players.

B - The Functionality:
Another feature of the new generators, is that item collection is done differently, so that multiple people can collect items from the same generator, at the same time. This is done by making sure that players collect the items one at a time, instead of all at once.

However, this also means that if you are running past a generator fully loaded with items, you must pause for a moment to pick it all up. This decreases the viability of certain hit-and-run strategies previously used by many people, particularly on the map Teaparty, collecting items and running away quickly before they can be killed. I am usually the defender, not the person doing the hit-and-run, in these scenarios, but I still agree that the strategy is a good one. Those types of strategies actually made sure it is very difficult for a player or group of players to completely dominate all the generators in the center. Now, players must linger longer in mid to gather up enough loot to buy gear, which makes it a first-to-mid game.

Now, I bet that a lot of people would still prefer the new system, because under the old system, if fewer generators are available than the number of people on the team, those with better internet could hog the generators. However, I liked the previous system better, because it allowed for more fast paced, balanced game.

2. Death messages.
The official change log said "Death messages are now more fancy.", but there are a few problems with the new death messages at the moment.

A - Color bug:

The new death messages are strange. When someone dies (not to combat), sometimes it just says "XXX died", and it shows the name in an orange color, instead of the color of the player's team. I believe this is a glitch, and should be fixed.

B - Bow void death message issue:
A bigger problem with death messages is when a person is shot off. The message shows "XXX died in the void while escaping YYY", while it used to say "XXX was shot by YYY". The new message gives the information that the player died in the void, which is not particularly useful, but what it no longer tells is that they were killed with a bow, which would have been useful information for others reading the chat, as it gives information about the killer's gear and strategy.

I believe that this should be changed, so that if a person is hit off, the current message is displayed. If a person is shot to death, the old death message for bow kills is displayed, and if someone were to be shot off the edge, a message would display that says "XXX was shot into the void by YYY". This would ensure the correct information is passed.

Of course, some may argue against this, stating that the fact that the knowledge of another player having a bow is privileged information, and people should not be able to know it simply from reading the chat. Minecraft itself argues against that. In vanilla, the regular death message when a bow death occurs is "XXX was shot by YYY". Just because the player died in the void doesn't mean they were not killed by the person who shot them off, nor does it mean that the weapon used to kill should not be displayed like normal.

3. The new shop.
The new shop has a different interface, one fairly similar to the shop from hypixel's bedwars. A lot of people who play bedwars may like this, believing that it is a better shop system. However, to me and others like me, it is actually inferior. Now, what I am

A - Inventory manipulation:

In the old shop system, you could manipulate your inventory while in the shop menu, and now you no longer can, which is a major inconvenience. It is a major hindrance to the game, as many people organize their inventories while shopping. It is a convenience that I hate having been removed from the game. I am not sure if this can be fixed, but I believe it should be possible, and if it is, the developers need to fix it ASAP.

B - Item number problem:
The old shop system allowed you to buy any specific amount of items according to the number of resources you put in. However, now you must spam click, or buy a set number of an item, which is not accurate, and you may buy too much of one thing, and not be able to buy another item. If the new shop system were to be kept, there should at least be more options for number of items to buy.
A good start to fix this would be, for stackable items, that each item in the shop has a entire column, where you can buy items at any power of 2: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, maybe even 32 and 64, if the cost of the item is low (the option of buying 1 or 2 can be removed for items of very low cost). According to mathematics, any number from 0 to 2^(n + 1) - 1 would be obtainable from a non-repeating permutation of the set (2^0, 2^1, 2^2, 2^3 ... 2^n).
With op mode buying blocks, this can be changed to powers of 3 (and also a purchase option of exactly 63 blocks, for that it is very close to one stack). It would be a slightly less efficient system, but still fairly good.

C - Shopping speed no longer depends on skill:
The biggest advantage of the old system, however, was that the use of shift clicking and number keys allowed shopping to be in fact even faster than spam clicking. It makes the speed of shopping more depended on skill. Since the best game is a well-rounded game requiring skill of all kinds, I believed that the skill of trading for items quickly using the old system is, in fact, one of the many things that makes this game more competitive. Now, though I am staying with using the classic mode shop (which is an option you can select in the main menu of the shop), other people will have an advantage, because they will use the new shop. They can shop just as fast as me, without using

This ties in with what @HackersDontWin said in his post, in which he stated that now, any player who wants armor can buy it extremely quickly in a fight, making op mode very difficult to play on an island with a shop.

There is no perfect way to fix this, but maybe the armor page could be expanded to several pages, one for each armor type, and an item in the bottom right corner will have to be clicked to go to the next page, and an item in the bottom left to go back a page. The armor items could also have a one-slot gap between them in the shop menu. This way, buying armor would not be extremely easy and fast in a stressful scenario, unless the player is good at making precise mouse movements.

Of course, the other way would simply to keep the main interface, but bring back classic mode. However, though I dislike the new shop, many others like it, and it is not impossible to improve. My personal issues with it can be resolved by adding the improvements I stated above, which would help many other people as well.

4. The new maps:
Bringing construction back, albeit with major changes, was a good choice. The style of the map is still as unique as before, though changed. The layout, however, is very unique. Cubecraft seems to be on track there, bring more variety to the maps than mere building style. The maps Boldore and Troy were also good additions. The 2 other maps added this update, however, are fairly questionable:

A - Solo speed map "Olympo":
It has it's islands way too close to the ring around mid, even for speed mode. Rushing will be way too rampant. The balance between rushing and camping exists when the person rushing needs blocks that cost the same amount as the defender will need for gear to defend their island. That balance does not exist on this map. I suggest that the islands be moved our slightly further, maybe 3 - 5 blocks, to give the defenders more time.

B - Normal mode team map "Huts":
This map's problem is also described by @HackersDontWin in his post. The problem with this map is the position of the shop and generators. The former moderator stated in his post that "[the generators are] all inside a building making it easy to get from one generator to another." and I agree. Generators should be more spread out on the maps.

Another problem he found was that the shop, unlike on almost every other map, was nowhere near the edge. This makes it very easy to buy items in the middle of a fight, without risk of being hit off, making the fights last extremely long on overpowered mode, especially with the new shop layout. Though I didn't experience this myself, I believe the problem is even worse than on the map teaparty, where I have met several players using this tactic to drag the game on far too long.

A simple fix of these problems would be to have the builders re-position the generators and the shop.

5. Team colors:
The new update brought something directly from bedwars: leather armor color and block color is now the same as your team color. There is an unmistakable element of copying from bedwars. We in the Cube community always accused Hypixel of stealing the idea of egg wars from us. Now we are doing it right back, and that basically seems wrong. The new egg wars shop layout and mechanics are also very similar to bedwars, so I expect the Hypixel community to start calling Cube out for copying as well.

A - Armor colors:
I have mixed feelings about the leather armor colors. This means that certain teams on certain maps will have an advantage in early game, due to their armor and name tag color blending in with the color of the map, giving them a camouflage effect. Alternatively, some team's leather armor may look like gold, iron, or even diamond armor from a distance or at a glance, which could also be confusing. What is more confusing is that the armor from the egg armor kit still does not match the color of the team.

Therefore, I believe that armor colors should be removed. However, if the server owners really want to keep it this way, at least make the change so that armor from the egg-armor kit is the same color as the team of the player.

On a side note, this is also one of the reasons that I do not like to play bedwars, even though bedwars deals with this better: bedwars maps are usually not monotonous enough in color to have the camouflage effect, and upgraded armor only covers half the body. Also, usually the armor is upgraded with protection very quickly, which makes a bigger difference to the eye.

B - Block colors:

The new block colors takes away a formerly common strategy to deal with extremely large egg defenses. Before, it was possible to dig into the shell, cover yourself up, and sneak, and you would be able to get the egg without the enemies noticing. Now, with block colors, the strategy no longer works.

Also, another difference is the breaking time of the blocks. On some maps, like nightmare and medieval, players spawn within a building that only has one exit. Often, enemies will come to the island, kill the players, and then seal off the buildings with blocks. This becomes even easier with the respawn timers from this new update. The players would have to break the blocks by hand. With sandstone, eat block took 4 seconds, but with stained clay, each block takes 6.25, an increase of more than 50%. This will affect gameplay, and make the annoying strategy of blocking up spawn-areas even worse. Therefore, the block colors should be reverted as well.

6. Balancing changes:
There have been a few balance changes this update, some of which I need to address.

A - Punch bow cost more than doubled:
Personally, I think this is a change that is long overdue. However, I believe that the cost needs a bit of tweaking. On overpowered mode, the punch bow is the most overpowered item in the game. Therefore, it's cost should be increased further, to 30 or 32 diamonds. On normal mode, it is less overpowered, so the price should be 20, instead of 25.

B - Speed effect removed from speed mode:

This change surprised me. What is the point of speed mode if things do not go by quickly? I tested out the differences today, playing several matches of speed mode and normal mode egg wars. I found that the amount of time the games take directly scales with the size of the map, regardless of whether it was speed or normal mode. Therefore, speed mode might as well just be normal mode, except with smaller maps. They could almost be put together, which would be a fairly good option, since it would once again combine the long-divided player groups of the two modes.

Of course, that is impossible. Speed mode needs to remain speed mode, separate from normal mode. I suggest that to make the games faster, instead of giving the players speed effects, the generator's generating speeds should be increased by around 20 - 25%, which would definitely speed the game up.

C - New respawn system:

The new respawn system is a good one. The respawn delay does it's job well, and it should be as it is right now. However, there is a problem with the spawn invincibility. On speed mode, the islands are very close to eachother. I had a round today, where I bridged diagonally up, then jumped down to another island, and I killed the player, then the egg. However, as the player did not hit me after respawning, he had enough time to buy blocks and a pickaxe, and somehow was able to build up to my bridge, 10 blocks above ground, and race me to my island and get my egg. That is simply not balanced.

After that experience, I now believe that the spawn invincibility should be no more than 5 seconds, due to the proximity between islands on speed mode.

Another quick change that could be made is that players should not be allowed to move while waiting for the respawn timer, to avoid players spying on others before respawning. If someone knows how to use the mouse scroll wheels to change flight speed in spectator mode, they can travel quite a distance to spy on their enemies in 3 seconds. (idea courtesy of post by @PocketSable)

D - Golden Shell kit nerf:
This change is rather strange. Now, golden shell only has a golden chestplate and golden boots. The golden boots are the equivalent of leather boots, which cost 1 iron, making almost no difference at all. The golden chestplate has the same protective value as chain-mail chestplates, like the one included in the Eggsplosives kit, except Eggsplosives also includes 3 tnt, bringing the cost equivalence of the Eggplosives kit to 40 gold, while the cost equivalent of the golden shell kit is 10 gold and 1 iron. It is simply unbalanced. To people who play the server frequently, even a cost difference to buy the kits would not be a problem.

Therefore, I propose that the Eggsplosives kit be nerfed to have one or two less tnt, bring the equivalence to 20 or 30 gold, while the golden shell kit should include a golden chestplate and golden leggings, bringing the cost equivalent to 20. It would still not be quite balanced, due to golden leggings being one less protection than the 10 gold cost chainmail leggings offered in the shop, as well as the blast protection on the chainmail chestplate from the Eggsplosives kit, but it would definitely bring them closer to being balanced.

Overall, I think this egg wars update is half good, half bad (check the full changelog in spoilers at the bottom of the official update post, I really only mentioned half the things, and I did have some positive things to say about some of them). However, a lot of the slightly negative changes can be fixed fairly easily, so

If you read this far, thank you very much for you attention, I appreciate it greatly. Also check out the post by @HackersDontWin and the post by @PocketSable if you have not already.

-Daniel_H212, writing at 1:20 am in the morning

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Mintypie231 wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!!! 🎂🎈
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday 🎈
yeoxuhang wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎉🎂
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy bday 🎉