Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Would these changes make BlockWars more entertaining?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
COdpW7i.png

m6KYjYy.png

What I am about to present is an update that was thought with the purpose of reintroducing a once very popular gamemode in the network. A game mode that had the potential of being incredibly successful. Sadly it wasn't well taken care of, but it's never too late to solve old mistakes! With Minecraft's rising popularity, CTF is an appealing gamemode to many. These changes will guarantee CubeCraft Game's CTF minigame being superior and unique over any other existing attempts of it.

• July 31st 2016, core mode is introduced, we got a new kit, three new maps, and a new team balancer. This update was good, except for the fact that the team balancer was horrible and had to be replaced later on with a new one suggested by @Andyyy. The new kit we got, was basically useless and had to be buffed multiple times, to the point where it became kind of useful but the mobs it spawns still have horrible AI. Core is a pretty boring gamemode too, you basically have to sit 10 minutes next to the core breaking it over and over again... while the rest of your team is spawn killing enemies, which leads up to them leaving. Which end up in 8v1s. Not fun at all... (Recently @Andyyy suggested a revamp for core here)

• April 19th 2018, two new kits, new pre-lobby and lobby layout, team balancing fixes, new achievements. The two new kits were absolutely useless, luckily medic got buffed a while ago and is kind of useful now. But wait, no one uses it? Why? Because it's not good enough, it's not good enough to face kits like Warrior, Ninja or Runner. About viper, I think I haven't seen a viper in the last 200 games of BlockWars I've played.

The past BlockWars updates haven't been ideal... at all which lead to BlockWars' demise.

• October 2nd 2018, "The Big Change" BlockWars gets removed from CubeCraft as a permanent game and becomes a temporary game that would then be featured several times a month for two days.
Why did BlockWars become a dead game after having been on the server during 5 years? 5 years! Updates, the updates never made BlockWars more interesting, they never added more depth, they never brought changes that would actually have a meaningful impact in-game. Just a few kits, that nowadays are almost unused. BuT nOw YoU gEt TwO tRaPbLoCkS iNsTeAd Of OnE!!! Oh great! The explosion trapblock is already overpowered, now I have to worry about twice as many of those!

But hey, it's never too late to fix old mistakes. It's never too late to revive an old game. What BlockWars needs is a good update, and update that will actually bring meaningful change to the game, but for good. An update that will change the way player's play the game, but not its purpose and essence.

Which is why, together with @Andyyy, we have formulated changes to every single BlockWars kit currently existing and created new ones. These changes have the purpose of bringing more variety to defense and combat strategies in-game. And we want every kit to be a main kit. An aspect of the game as basic as kits seems to be the most fundamental part of the game's dynamic, if every kit is able to perform a specific task that is actually valuable for the team itself, then people would start using said kits.

BlockWars should be a strategy game, not a contest of whoever has a bigger party with the most tryhards.

This "Op Party phenomenon" is the main reason why new players don't usually enjoy playing BlockWars. Of course people that are better at the PvP will always have an advantage, but returning BlockWars from a PvP centered game to a team strategy game allows a much bigger demographic to enjoy the game.

ZdnpoGI.png

Kits/Classes in any gamemode should be varied right? They should be valuable and should all have similar power. In other words: different but balanced. As of now, BlockWars' kits are little different and not balanced at all.

Does this look like variety to you?
5jyI7Gp.png

Weapons of every kit

SyskuOm.png

Armour of every kit

In terms of weapons and armour, all kits are almost identical which leads up to having terrible balancing issues.

• Ninja in its current state is the most powerful kits in-game. To the point that it is Overpowered in certain situations. There's a bug that CubeCraft cannot solve in which players cannot see the breaking progress of a block if it is being broken by an invisible player. Which gives Ninja an immense advantage to steal the flag. Its weapon is also very strong and can easily kill most kits.
  • Warrior and Runner are perfectly balanced with each other but every other kit just stands no chance against any of these two.
  • Tank is a horrible kit, it is basically a human punchbag, and it deals almost no damage. It has no purpose at all.
  • Viper is also very bad, it is underpowered extremely, its potion effect is quite weak and its weapon and armour don't allow the kit to be useful while the potion comes back.
  • Medic is good, but not enough for people to consider using it, it needs a small buff.
  • Archer is good at range, but also good at melee with the knockback stick, a little nerf to its armour is necessary for it to not be powerful in every situation.
  • Summoner is very useful, and can hold a decisive role in teams sometimes, but it can barely defend itself. And its pet's AI is not ideal, needs a buff too.
  • Bomber is a very important kit in the game, it sometimes is too effective. Needs a small nerf.
  • Builder is very easily countered by bomber, needs a buff.
  • Miner lacks efficiency at its job: mining. Needs a buff. A miner's #1 enemy are trap blocks, needs a way to avoid them.
  • Most kits can easily be confused with each other at plain sight, for strategic value, every kit should have its own distinctive look.

POMU0dt.png

Kits need to change, drastically. BlockWars has got to the point where everyone only uses the same 4 or 5 kits (Warrior, Runner, Ninja, Bomber, Archer). Every other kit is just extremely underpowered.

All kits must get a new look, so they are all easy to identify and if necessary, targeted. Which is also why these kit changes include a material/colour code, diamond boots means the kit has a speed effect, gold means the kit has curative or regenaration abilities, iron leggings means the kit has a jump boost effect.

The more gear there is to work with, the more variety can be included regarding PvP, and kit specific abilities. These power increments will make the game's pace be a little bit slower than what it used to be, giving new players more opportunities.

Basically the most common kits should get nerfed and the least common ones should be buffed, that way people not only play with the same 3 or 4 kits, which makes the game get boring eventually.

[DISCLAIMER: These changes won't make sense to you until you've seen them all]

FcPDsy7.png

C5AsfaU.png

I know I basically started this thread saying Ninja is OP, and it is. But we gave it a diamond sword instead of an iron one so it can make up for the upgrades in the rest of the kits. (It's only +1 damage anyway)

Da9E1Kz.png

ju3GFjk.png

This is a buff for builder here, it should be given +2 armour (iron boots) plus a better sword which deals 5 damage instead of 4. This is because, builder is usually very weak and is forced to hold a defensive position. But, blocks are actually very useful for offense, for example by building above walls, and placing blocks behind you, making enemy players fall into the void. (I'm wondering if someone noticed the pun already...)

dbsZ1jR.png

fBsWIvc.png

Bomber should only get one more extra armour point, and with the power increase in all the other kits, you can start to see it is being nerfed. Which is good, because bomber is very effective to play as, too effective in fact. Having your whole team being bomber is an incredibly overpowered strategy that makes you win in no more than a minute. And that just ruins the fun.

ZpiUuER.png

Y0sosRx.png

Archer gets an armour increase which isn't too significant either, this will guarantee that it won't be as powerful in melee combat as before. But to make up for this drastic nerf, it is given a better pickaxe, to make archer a more adventurous kit. This would disincentive camping and bowspamming. The arrow cooldown should be reduced to 5 seconds, waiting 20 seconds for every arrow is just exaggerated and usually ends up on having to kill yourself to get more.

UqTQ8w5.png

qlexWZY.png

Moving onto medic, this kit has incredible potential. And its role in a team game like CTF is fundamental when it comes to the buffs it brings to its allies. You can see it only has gold gear, to represent it is a healer. It is given 3 more armour points so it is less easy to kill in PvP, so it can continue its role as healer/assistant.

PXNKLEQ.png

uWly5Ao.png

Jumper only gets one more armour point, it is a pretty good kit as it is right now. Especially in maps like doublehelix, where falling damage is a constant threat. Jumper gets a power 1 bow, to make up for its weak weapon. It only gets one arrow though, power bows are very strong.

gV6GDdR.png

vH3mZSH.png

On miner, no one ever uses it because the difference between a wooden pickaxe and a stone pickaxe isn't that drastic for it to be a valuable perk. And it is easily destroyed by warrior or runner in PvP. What it needs is to have a reason to stand out. Which is why it should be given an iron pickaxe.

Miners should see enemy trap blocks at all times to make sure you aren't the victim of them. And help their team with the diffusing shears: Hold right click on a trap block to remove the trap. This counters the blockmaster.

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
4Ppz0cM.png

beURHoz.png

Runner keeps its wooden sword but gets better armour. Because fast kits don't precise powerful weapons. They have speed to inflict more damage per second.

Uh404kX.png

Y93JrUw.png

Summoner is a kit that is intended to work for both defensive and offensive situations. Unfortunately the AI of its mobs isn't the best, making this kit lack effectiveness in the battle field. Summoner cannot solely depend on its troops, which is why it is buffed in armour so it is capable of fighting other kits one to one. Additionally, the monster spawning cooldown should be reduced to 25, any mob isn't that big of a challenge for players, but an army of mobs sure is! This would add great value to this kit. And please improve the mob's AI, right now they are mostly useless making the kit useless as well.

SbPNWy8.png

ezuIBaG.png

Tank has always been a problematic kit, mainly because its concept didn't quite fit in the current BlockWars set of kits. But if these kit changes were to be made, tank wouldn't be so out of place anymore. Of course it still has a horrible weapon that is mostly useless, and a very annoying slowness effect that makes tank worthless in the battle arena. Which is why tank should have something more: an ability.

Speed away and get to a advantageous position or speed away with the flag for a few seconds. Don't use it too much because you lose protection ! (5 Seconds of speed, 20 second cooldown. During the 5 seconds of speed, armour is switched from iron to chainmail)

This would make tank a kit that would actually be useful to capture flags, with the boost you would be able to travel faster to your home base. And regardless of the slowness you would have the rest of the time, it still has very decent armour and a shield that should help it resist enemies.

GMj0lET.png

kR49zjd.png

Warrior gets a new sword and better armour, to make up for the increase in kits like Runner and Ninja. We tested Ninja vs Warrior many times, and it seems that Warrior now does better against Ninja. Currently Ninja can easily beat it.

You can see viper is not being listed, because it cannot be buffed without it just turning annoying. Viper should be removed from the game, please.

rkJ5z9f.png

These four brand new kits would be the perfect addition to the BlockWars kit collection, they all use different aspects of the game to become unique and fundamental assets of your team!

YuMbmIk.png

ZS3DvBK.png

The Blockmaster is as expected, a master of blocks! It can turn any team block into a trap instantly with the blaze rod, and that's not it! Place disappearing blocks that are gone in only 8 seconds. It gets one every 10 seconds up to 2 and spawn with that. The Blockmaster can hop over walls but is easily stopped by keeping them four blocks high . Kill them quickly before they mine in with their stone pickaxe. This is easier done than said as they have little resistance to any attacks.

prusi85.png

qkKYPmk.png

Hop around with scout kit to easily crit your foes with strong armour to protect you and a powerful pickaxe to sneak into defences. This kit is very interesting, with its speed and jump boost effects, it brings countless possibilities for PvP techniques.

we0aDRf.png

WNdaA1o.png

Use Quaker if you love Quakecraft! Any kill will restock your arrows instantly. With only 2 arrows, most of the time you will have to finish off your foes with the sword but with speed 1, it gives you the boost you need. You are venerable to attacks but Never worry about fall damage with feather falling 3. This is the closest to Quakecraft you will get without playing Quakecraft once a month!

nQIlsqk.png

w4EWYW0.png

Vamp is the vipers not removed cousin. Instead of hurting people, it gains from murder. The vamp will instantly heal on every kill with a reduced amount every time This will reset on death along with the next perk. Vamp will also gain max health with every single kill. This means that vamp starts out with a weak sword and weak armour but with its healing abilities, it can eventually defeat even a ninja despite its weak gear. The formula for its health on kill decreases linearly from 10hp (5 hearts) down to 8 hp then 6 until it reaches its minimum of 4hp per kill. This happens while the vamps max hp increases by 2 hp every time up to a max of 18 hearts/36hp. This achievement, however, is a challenge to reach, even for the top players.

27JDsZu.png

These kit changes are necessary for BlockWars' playerbase to increase. Otherwise, BlockWars will lose popularity eventually. The game has never been freshened up, it hasn't received a good update in years!

These changes will make BlockWars an interesting game again, because there would be 15 different ways to play the game! By making sure that every kit has a chance, you are giving your players a large amount of new possibilities, the depth of a game is what leads to it being successful. BlockWars as of now is too boring and monotonous, most kits are merely decorative and were only ever included to be able to say "We added a new kit!".

You will most likely only see 4 or 5 different kits being actively used in the game nowadays, the rest are just currently pretty much useless. Variety is the most fun!

There will be more threads coming soon, this one just focused on kits!

Thank you very much for reading this suggestion! Any type of feedback is appreciated. Credits to @Andyyy for having helped with all of the ideas listed in this thread (and having come up with most), and the pictures!

Starry

Forum Expert
Oct 24, 2016
Belgium
What a beautiful thread! I absolutely love blockwars, it has been the favorite game of me since the release of it. It isn't even a main game anymore and it still hits up to 150+ players, that means that it's still kind of popular. If you look to the voting for the featured games, blockwars gets a lot of votes and why? Because it is a fantastic game that they shouldn't have removed.
Why did BlockWars become a dead game after having been on the server during 5 years? 5 years! Updates, the updates never made BlockWars more interesting, they never added more depth, they never brought changes that would actually have a meaningful impact in-game. Just a few kits, that nowadays are almost unused. BuT nOw YoU gEt TwO tRaPbLoCkS iNsTeAd Of OnE!!! Oh great! The explosion trapblock is already overpowered, now I have to worry about twice as many of those!
I also totally agree with the thing that you said here.

Reactions: Dreamer and Eli

GalacticAC

Novice Member
Jul 25, 2018
Fantastic thread, these changes are so drastic that I might not agree with all of them, but I'm still very happy to see these well thought ideas being posted, I will make my own suggestion thread later

Reactions: Eli and Lime
D

Deleted member 347571

I do not agree with all the kits but its a great suggestion because i think that some kits will be OP af xd

Reactions: Eli

Odieuse

May 14, 2016
Delft
Wow i didn't know that good thread, not all of them are good in my view but a lot of them are really good tho. I think if they add it permenently it would be a lot of players and CTF will be really good. I loved that game when it came out. Also played it alot and hope that this get added @Camezonda

Reactions: Eli

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
I do not agree with all the kits but its a great suggestion because i think that some kits will be OP af xd
Andy and I carefully tested them all, and we can ensure that every kit has a chance in a 1v1 situation with any other kit.

God.

Apr 29, 2017
Hell
Change the ninja diamond sword for an iron one and add speed to it's cloak with the downside that when it hits someone it's effect were off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom