Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
An Advanced Guide to Survival Games
Version: 1.2 | 08/05/18

In this guide I will be teaching you every little tip and trick I know about Survival Games, in this guide I'll be looking at some techniques and information for super advanced players and as such can take a huge amount of time to learn all of these.

Maps

map [team size] | playercount

Desert [2] | 16 players
Ruins [2] | 16 players
Fairytale [2] | 16 players
Seasons [4] | 24 players
Fantasy [4] | 24 players
Candy [2] | 16 players
Underwater [4] | 16 players
Jurassic [3] | 18 players
CubePark [3] | 18 players
Nature [5] | 20 players
Greek [2] | 16 players
Tropical [2] | 16 players

Ruins
A classic favorite of many. This map has so many dangers right off the bat making it difficult to fight in, with lava parkour to jump at the start, a broken staircase to get to the top chests and a 7 block jump off a cliff to safety.

Jurassic
This map is a huge pain to play on as it has 8 mid-chests split between 18 people meaning that if you're not fast, chances are you won't get anything. And an even slimmer chance to get anything good.

Fantasy
This map has the most generous selection of chests with some ground chests and another set on top, this map also has many water surfaces that are very deep so Water Surfing is not possible and players can hide from your bow shots by hiding at the ocean floor.

Kits

Fisherman
The fisherman kit gives you a fishing rod, this fishing rod can be a game changer if you use it correctly and you get lucky, with a 1/3 chance to snag an item that the player has, this means it can take the persons weapon but not always and they won't be able to fight and you'll basically get a free kill unless they run. But a few factors have to come in and those are that you have to be good at using the rod, you can get some free rod shots if they're running from you and you're behind them. Another magical feature of the fishing rod is that you can fish in water pools for just about anything, but it's incredibly rare to fish anything substantial, most of the time you will get junk but if you're struggling to get a hold of gear and you do get lucky and fish some form of weapon it can change the face of the game if you know what you're doing. I did manage to fish a diamond chestplate on my first attempt.
400 Points

Tracker
A kit that gives you the player tracker straight from the get-go, you CAN find these in chests but they are very uncommon and sometimes you'll never find one ever in a game even if you've killed 8+ people. For the most expensive kit priced at 800 points it's very poor and not worth it, especially if you're using it to find other players and forfeiting combat abilities to get the kit.
800 Points

Archer
d7ca536027e5858115047442301daa0e.png

This kit is decent at best for people who are good with the bow, it gives the player 2 arrows and a bow- it would probably be the worst kit on Survival Games if it weren't for its side feature which is a 10% chance to return 'hit' arrows. This is a somewhat small chance especially when your only given 2 arrows and if you miss you have to get them back. If you have more than 20 arrows this kit can be amazing especially when you're landing bow shots constantly plus the arrow return ability carries with any arrows you find and for only 100 points I can't be that hard on the guy.

100 Points

Ninja
This kit gives the player a 'chance' to turn invisible on hit, note that there isn't actually any given statistic, you don't know how high or low that chance is. I've seen a surprising amount of people using this kit and I'm going to tell you why it's quite an awful kit.
First of all; you don't turn completely invisible if you're wearing armour, you're armour is still visible and you're still going to get hit, so you have to not be wearing armour in order to be completely invisible but if you're not wearing armour then you are going to lose all of your health in order to turn invisible and even then that's just a small chance, it's possible that on that first hit with no armour that you don't get that chance and you stay visible and then you're going to get hit again and die. You're risking so much in order to get that burst of invisibility that probably won't even impact the game whatsoever because you only get it for 2 seconds.

400 points

Smuggler
c3fa67b6ff3957157b450fc38cee0598.png

This kit gives the player a chest, it essentially acts as a free chest. This kit can be good for a player wanting some extra items or using it just in case they don't get anything from mid. The one issue with this kit is finding the opportunity to place the chest and retrieve the contents of the chest because players can take stuff from the chest if the kit selector places it. However, if a player kills you and picks up the smuggled package they can place it but no items will be present.

600 Points

Enchanter
2dd9994d89ae1363b500ca05089e012d.png

This kit grants the player reduced enchantment costs so they require fewer levels to get a higher enchantment, they also get 24 bottles of enchanting and 8 lapis lazuli. This kit is fairly standard, its ok and a decent kit idea but the advantage of it isn't anywhere near as great as the other kits. Its other flaw is that because enchanting tables at mid have no bookcases in order to boost their level cap, the highest level you can enchant is about as much as you can find in chests in Normal and better in Overpowered rendering the kit 'almost' useless. See, the kit still allows you to choose specific enchants that you want and you can enchant any of your swords to have Fire Aspect or Knockback 1 if you get lucky, making it almost useless, but not completely.

400 points

Bloodlust
I've been wanting to talk about this kit for some time, I have to say this kit is incredibly underwhelming when you realize what a greater job Double-Edged does in comparison. Let me explain, the description states that "A kill grants a stack of BloodLust, 1 bloodlust yields 10% damage and -1 hearts"

Okay, so you have 10 hearts and you get a kill, you then have 9 hearts of health and will do 10% damage from then, you get a maximum of 3. This means after 3 kills you will have 7 hearts and 30% damage boost. If you have a diamond sword and have fully boosted this kit after 3 kills plus are good at landing crits then the stats are as follows;
7(dsworddamage) * 1.5 (critmultiplier) * 1.3 (bloodlust) = 13.65 base damage, think about how fast the diamond sword can hit, that is incredibly huge but you have to remember that you will have 7 hearts will doing it. I would recommend this kit you people who tend to spend a lot more time dodging than hitting because this kit could be a dead game for you quickly if you get hit a lot being that you only have 7 hearts.

200 points

Brewing Accident
03901c1a9c5715d526986a6b6f740e39.png

I've heard from a lot of people that they hate this kit and that's understandable but they have to truly think about the advantages of this kit and how huge they can be. For example; the circumstances in which I use this kit is if the voting options are Hardcore/Day, this is because Vampire would be ineffective as it is Day Time, therefore, reduced damage done. The effects you can get from Brewing Accident are these:
  • Hunger
  • Poison
  • Regeneration
  • Resistance
  • Speed
Regeneration is the one you should always hope for when playing Hardcore but in other health modes where you use the kit you should want Resistance because resistance is devastatingly well... resistant. Resistance I is granted, this means that all damage (other than void and /kill) is reduced by 20%. If I and an enemy trade 5 hits and we are both using diamond swords then this is the outcome:

7 (dswordamage) * 5 = 35 damage done to him
7 (dsworddamage) * 5 = 35 - 7(35 / 5, percentage deduction) = 28 damage done to me.

This seems small but this different is pretty damn huge when pvping and when you get it and use it you'll see just how OP it truly is.

250 points

Cannibal
2395c70ccf01202e536a9267dcee365b.png

When using cannibal every kill grants full Hunger and then a burst of saturation along with it, this kit is devastating when attacking teams or defending against cleaning. This kit is by the best kit in the whole game in my honest opinion and can be used in any circumstance other than Hardcore where it is rendered completely useless as health cannot be regenerated by hunger.

250 points

Double Edged
612c2db4153e884f6d321996f71c89a0.png

A super powerful kit which stands up there with the best kits in the game, granting the player 2x damage and 2x damage received it can either be your win, or your quick death. When using this kit you should always have an axe on hand because if you enter an axe fight with a sword you will die, very quickly.

Under what circumstances should you use this kit? when most people ask me I reply with "if you're a good pvper" but almost everyone thinks they're a good pvper so that's not how I explain it. This is how the math works, if you as a pvper land MORE than 50% of the hits traded between you and another player on average, then you should absolutely use this kit. For example; if you and a player trade 20 hits amongst you, let's imagine that 13 hits of those were yours. Here is how I explain it to people:

Note: I have excluded the cooldown for the sake of making a point, it would take so much longer to calculate and wouldn't really sway too much from the final number.

You - 13(hits) * 6(ironsword) = 78 damage total
Him - 7(hits) * 6(ironsword) = 42 damage total

If we apply our double edged kit:

You - 13(hits) * 6(ironsword) * 2(doubleedged) = 156 damage
Him - 7(hits) * 6(ironsword) * 2(doubleedged) = 84 damage

As you can see his damage is also increased by a huge margin, but since you've landed more hits than him your damage is increased significantly in comparison and grants you an advantage. If you land more hits than most people then you should use double-edged.

Maximum DE Damage Output: (without enchants)

9(daxe) * 1.5(crit) * 2 (doubleedged) = 27 damage, however this also applies to you, so be careful
400 Points

Demolitionist
84e6e915d03b01f211a2e39555980a02.png

No.

200 points

Peeta Bread
This is the most overpowered kit in the game, if you use this kit you will win every game. For 100 points this kit is an absolute bargain, especially compared to all the mad points you'll be racking in daily.
Never use this kit, you only get 3 loafs of bread, the most you can do is make a disappointment sandwich.

100 points

Man's Best Friend
This kit is very cruel, it throws people's rhythm off significantly and matched with well-placed water can ruin any good pvper. I always recommend Mans Best Friend to anyone who isn't very good at pvp, mainly people who miss a lot of hits because this Wolf will fill those missing hits for you. You should stay grouped up with your wolf because they often tail behind you very far if you sprint and someone could kill them before even engaging in combat with you, rendering your kit useless for the rest of the game. Make sure you feed your Wolf after every fight because this heals them.
800 points

Pyro
I used this kit for a full game and got 8 kills, I never lit anyone on fire once neither did I light on fire. Not entirely sure what's with this kit, likely broken. Can't comment on this kit until it works.
500 points

Scout
You are given 2 speed pots of 2 minutes at the start of a game, you can throw one of these at the start of the game as a good boost to the chests and an escape from people at mid after you grab the loot you need. You could also reverse this and use it to follow running players. A fairly good kit that I would recommend if you can pvp with speed, many players have said that they find it difficult to pvp with the speed which could be a problem.
450 Points

Vampire
cec8b3e593daa8abbb7eb3a11d896a00.png

Vampire is a version of Cannibal with different effects, every kill grants Regeneration and everybody that you kill. This kit's downfall is reduced daytime damage which I've found isn't actually all that reduced, I've used it a lot during the day and it seems to still be a fairly powerful kit. This kit should always be the kit that you use on Nighttime/Hardcore or even Day/Hardcore. But during the day, how much is the damage reduced exactly? well, after some short tests with a fellow player who offered to help me I have calculated an estimate.

The regular ol' axe does 9 damage when fully charged, taking a player and attacking them during the day with the Vampire kit does 5 damage. With this information:

5/9*100(percentageformula) = 55.6% damage reduction
Just imagine every drop of damage you do to someone but halved.

That is absolutely huge, so in other words; tread carefully using this kit during the day. Might be a better decision to take Cannibal to be on the safe side.

800 Points

Diver
Diver is a kit that specializes in water with the ability to spend longer in water and move faster, plus a full set of leather. It's quite a bad kit on every map other than fantasy which possesses a large amount of water, you can use this kit defensively in the water areas due to your speed and ability to hide from bow shots. The kit can be decent if you use it on basic due to the full leather guarrantee.
550 points

Guardian
An ok kit due to the chestplate, the shield can also be useful for arrows but shields are pretty common making this kit obselete.
600 points

Medic
A brilliant kit for team modes, tactically can be used to your advantage if you're teammates do not use self healing kits such as Vampire and Cannibal.
700 points

Armour

Now that you know what kit you should use lets run down what armor and swords you should be using.

There are a few attributes that contribute to how much damage you take and how much durability is run down in armour affected by said damage, the first attribute is defense points and the second is armour toughness, however armour toughness is only granted by diamond armour, it seems as though this is something that will be used further in the future by Mojang, but for the time being it only applies to diamond armour.

TBim6VZ.png

The damage formula is damage = damage * ( 1 - min( 20, max( defensePoints / 5, defensePoints - damage / ( 2 + toughness / 4 ) ) ) / 25 ) & for this next part lets assume that 1 armour point = 1 half armour

Leather
Helmet: 1 Armour Point
Tunic: 3 Armour Points
Leggings: 2 Armour Points
Boots: 1 Armour Point

Golden
Helmet: 2 Armour Point
Chestplate: 5 Armour Points
Leggings: 3 Armour Points

Chain
Chestplate: 5 Armour Points
Leggings: 4 Armour Points

Iron
Chestplate: 6 Armour Points
Leggings: 5 Armour Points
Boots: 2 Armour Point

Diamond
Helmet: 3 Armour Point
Chestplate: 8 Armour Points
Leggings: 6 Armour Points
Boots: 3 Armour Point

WMOETJs.png

Weapons

The bread and butter of survival games, choose your weapon.

Attack Speed:
Swords: 1.6 (0.625 seconds)
Wooden Axe: 0.8 (1.25 seconds)
Golden Axe: 1 (1.0 seconds)
Stone Axe: 0.8 (1.25 seconds)
Iron Axe: 0.9 (1.11 seconds)
Diamond Axe: 1 (1.0 seconds)

Weapon Damage:
Wooden: 4
Stone: 5
Iron: 6
Diamond: 7
Golden Axe: 7
Other Axes: 9

1f282c03d6804f2993549f5b10f9e0b4.png

When exploring the world of Survival Games always have an axe or sword on hand ready to use, if you encounter a good axe pvper you are going to have to ditch the sword and use an axe to avoid being killed. See below for my Rapid Axe Tap tactic.

Techniques

Now that I've run you down the list of kits and how they work I will now give you my list of techniques, these can be picked up quite quickly by most players, scroll down for advanced techniques for talented players.

Water Bucket Drop:
Everyone's favorite tactic, I've used this countless times to cover distance when chasing a dying player down a mountain. They assume you're just gonna follow them down the mountain so they inflict lots of damage on themselves to make an escape, so you do a successful water bucket landing, no damage lost and you've reached the player.

giphy.gif

Water Climb:
The super fast version of placing water on the side of a mountain and riding the water to reach the top, I've mastered this tactic believe it or not and people are always amazed. It's really not that hard to learn but it's impactful of many games. More so on

giphy.gif

Lava Trap
This technique is keeping players embedded in a well-placed lava, if someone lavas you good and you get stuck there are two things you can do; use a water bucket below you to turn it to obsidian but if you don't have a water bucket then you race for the corners to leave the block before it spreads and you're stuck forever. Basically, this technique involves knowing this mindset of a player you have trapped and stopping them from leaving. Such as hitting them back in to the lava from the corners and placing another lava when they water the block.

Chest Scanning
Chest Scanning is a technique you develop from playing a lot of Survival Games and is where you scan a chest in half a second or less and take the stuff you need first, this is just something that you learn overtime. You could practice it in particular which would speed up your learning process too.

giphy.gif

Janitor / Cleaning
Believe it or not but it's a real technique, waiting for two players to finish combat to run in and finish them off is a thing that people do. It might be a bad thing to do but if it gets you closer to winning then you absolutely should do it. Don't mistake my intentions, I don't mean wait for people to fight, I mean if you run into two guys hashing it out. Wait for the combat to subside and then go fishing, get a free kill or two. Cannibal completely negates being cleaned, same goes for Vampire if you're fast enough to heal from the corpse, Mans Best Friend can also help out a little.

Water Separation
When being chased by someone and you need the time to heal let them get close and jump-place water below you whilst running, get them stuck in the water and keep running. This should give you just enough time to eat and heal some, if one hit can kill you then find a cave or pathway and if they decide to follow they will have to swim through all of it to reach you, this creates massive distance. However if you're on the other end of the spectrum and are looking to avoid being watered then this is for you; constantly lean to the left or right, or if the person looks upwards in their direction (this means that they are in F5 looking at how close you are) then jump up a 2nd layer thats at the side whilst chasing them. If they place water you won't touch it and you can keep following. If that's not an option then you can instantly whip out your bow and arrow and shoot them if the water is inevitable.

Trailblazing
After doing a considerable amount of damage to someone light them on fire using Flint and Steel, Lava or Fire Aspect (this is likely your main weapon but if not then have it on your hotbar) and if they decide to run from the fight the fire will stop them from running from your grasp as fire does damage to you every second, cutting your speed every time allowing you to catch up.

Quick Bucket
Place a water bucket directly below you when you are on fire and instantly pick it up again to stop it affecting your pvping whilst still being able to stop the burning. Never use this when fighting someone with Fire Aspect, by the time you've placed the water and picked it up you'll be hit and on fire again. Only use this when you're attempting to run away.

Fire Aspect Methods: (credit to @Gainfullterror for donating this technique)
Never run from a fight with someone who has a Fire Aspect sword, it's impossible to run unless you're good at watering yourself to stop burning and also get really lucky. It probably won't end well.

Corpse Scanning: (credit to @Gainfullterror for donating this technique)
Remember where players died or where corpse locations are, don't use corpses as hunger for the sake of doing it unless absolutely necessary. If you lose a duel and have to heal then you will know where a corpse is and it'll be ready for you to swoop past and full heal to take the win. Plus the player knows you're dying so he'll follow you all the way there.

Player Kill Choices (credit to @Gainfullterror for donating this tip)
If you have Cannibal and are dealing with a team kill the weakest less armored player in the team as this will give you a great hunger/heal boost when taking out the rest of the team afterward.

Wolf Confusion
If a player has Mans Best Friend and is surrounded by his furry friends and they're throwing off your rhythm, when pvping just run around your enemy in a circle path, the wolfs will never hit you once because of how their AI is built, they go directly to where you're positioned rather than where you will end up so they chase you forever if you go in a circle. You're constantly moving. You can take out your enemies without dogs getting in the way. Furthermore, you could ignore the circle path and just get your enemy running by doing a huge amount of damage to him, you could also lead in with huge knockback. You could also get a bow and shoot them off from a distance so that you get a fair fight with your enemy.

Another common Wolf tactic is to gather the wolves in the one spot and place lava in front of them, their AI won't respond fast enough and they'll walk into the lava, get stuck and burn. Super useful to quickly get rid of groups of wolves that are left over after a fight. This is much harder to accomplish in the middle of a fight but can still be done. (@SpankMeSanta )

Stair Hopping & Roof Hopping
Rapidly hit the spacebar when running up a set of stairs, this will give you a huge speed boost when traveling on the stairs., this can be used to catch up to a potential kill. Unfortunately, this has to be timed correctly, you cannot just spam spacebar when on stairs, if done incorrectly can slow you down. This can also be done when there is a ceiling directly over your head, if you rapidly hit spacebar then you will gain massive speed, for this version you do not need to time it and the speed boost given is much higher.

Gold Sword PVP
On Basic there are many times where gold swords and axes are the only weapons I can get my hands on but as you can imagine they break almost all the time mid-combat, to counter this you can duel-wielding two gold swords and when one breaks just switch to the other.

Advanced Techniques

Rapid Axe Tap Tactic:
I got this idea after pvping @Thefty in which he killed me holding an axe and a sword and I messaged him and said "what's the tactic behind duel wielding" to which he replied "eh, nothing really." so my surprise, there is.

To setup what you want to do is find an Axe and a Sword, put your Axe in your main hand and the Sword in your off hand.
Let's begin, what you want to do is approach a player as you usually do, ready to attack. You want to hit him with the axe and as soon as the hit connects you hit F (offhand switch by default, mine is on the side of my mouse which is amazing) to switch to your sword which has the reduced cooldown and start hitting the player rapidly, not spammy just regularly maybe sometimes short of the full cooldown. This tactic inflicts huge damage as you are leading in with a 9 damage hit and then switching to your sword for close combat. This is somewhat difficult to learn at first, many people struggle to remember to do it but I feel like most peoples problem is the Hotkey. Mine is on the side of my mouse which makes it so much easier, I highly recommend if you have a gaming mouse that you utlize this technique with those buttons, it's super powerful. Even if you don't use it in this way it's good to have an easy switch between axe and sword for different players.

giphy.gif

Fire Tapping
Have a good sword with no enchants but a bad sword with fire aspect? then I have got news for you, what you want to do in this situation is offhand the good sword and main the fire aspect sword, just like the Axe Tap you lead in with the Fire Aspect and hit someone once, then switch out for your good sword instantly. This lights them on fire whilst you fight them with your good sword. Make sure to re-hit them with the Fire Aspect frequently because although Fire burns players for 8 seconds they can still decide to run whenever it could be at 7 seconds and it runs out straight away and they're able to get away from you. So make sure you keep that 8-second timer always with 4 seconds left at least.

Furthermore, being that fire burns players for 8 seconds before extinguishing and does half a heart every second we can assume that:

1(half-heart) * 8(seconds) = 8 damage in total / 4 hearts
That's the equivalent of being hit with a Sharpness I Diamond Sword every 8 seconds, it's like having a really bad overpowered teammate, plus that Sword does damage on its own plus the Fire infliction.
(credit to @Roebahn for the tip!)

Offhand Organiser
When you're fleeing mid with an unorganized hotbar or are being chased and have no time to stop you can move items to your offhand, cycle through your hot bar and reswitch it somewhere else to organize your hot bar on the go. I use this all the time when fleeing mid after looting a few chests and have to reach outer map chests before other players.

giphy.gif

Fake-Out
Playing on a rocky surface? fight him for a bit and start to run the opposite direction this will create the illusion that you're dying and 'most' people will follow you, resume fighting on a flat surface. You can also use this to break tension or someone's critical rhythm that might be killing you.

Border Treadmill
The border in Survival Games moves faster than a player can in water (without Depth Strider) so get a player in water and hit them pretty far behind the border, they won't be able to outswim it to reach land and they will suffocate outside.

Water Surfing (@JaiStrixZ )
By holding a water bucket and rapidly right clicking the block you are about to swim through you can remove the water source to fall forwards and gain some speed. However; to empty your bucket you have to be in arms reach of a block (this tends to be the bottom of the water bed). This is great for catching up to players who are fleeing from battle via water.

giphy.gif

Anti-Hacker Techniques
Most hackers on the server don't even understand how their clients work, they just know that it kills enemies for them and they don't have to do anything. If they understood the specifics then they could avoid these problems. You've got your footage of the hacker and now you want to win the game, use these techniques well and you'll come out on top, as you should.

Hitbox Attracting
Try fighting a hacker near a corpse, the corpses have small hitboxes where the shadow is at their feet, if your enemy is closer to the hitbox rather than you then it will start attacking the corpse instead of you. Use an Axe in this situation, he'll still be able to hit you some but not enough to keep their distance, so you want the one hit you can get in to make its mark and an axe is capable of doing this with its 9 damage. Another way of hitbox attracting a client is by fighting around a flock of animals and having his client attack those instead of you.

Criticals

Criticals are random boosts of damage granted to players (regardless of weapon) when these requirements are met:
  • The player must be falling.
  • The player must not be on the ground.
  • The player must not be on a ladder/vine
  • The player must not be in water.
  • The player must not be affected by blindness.
  • The player must not be riding an entity.
  • The player must not be sprinting.
  • The base attack must not be reduced to 84.8% damage or lower due to cooldown.
Critical hits grant 150% of the weapons damage, therefore the formula is (weapondamage * 1.5 (* kitmodifiers) = final damage)

There are many ways people learn to crit players, many players refer to constant criticals as their 'rhythm' and appropriately named due to the perfect timing required to actually hit them constantly is incredible, rhythm can realistically only be achieved with a sword, they cooldown almost fully by time you're ready for your next critical so they do the most DPS(damage per second) whereas axes are more of defensive weapons. The 150% damage gain from criticals is huge and although criticals are pretty hard to do, when you take the time to learn them you will become insanely good at killing players because of that 50% extra damage advantage.

There are many ways of landing criticals, let's start with one:

Criti-trails
Crititrails are my stupid nickname for an effective technique of inflicting some critical hits on a player you are chasing, when in pursuit of someone they will almost always be running and jumping at the same time. Because you naturally jump when running and that all players run at the same speed it should be a case of just lining up the hit and land a couple of criticals.

giphy.gif

(more credits to @Gainfullterror for the .GIF and the critical technique!)

Still editing the thread. Sit tight!

This thread could have a lot more, I'm going to be updating new things as I discover them so drop some techniques below!

Planned Additions
-Chest Locations
-Map Techniques
-Escaping Fire Aspect
-Achievements & How to Get Them
- World Events

Now can all of you try not to die, thanks - StorySays

giphy.gif

+ Map of Desert maze
+ Revamp of Vampire
+ Criticals section
+ Diagrams for armour and swords

+ Diver, Guardian & Medic kits
+ Tropical, Greek & Nature contents
- Desert maze map
- World events (planned new section)
* Changed .gif & outro message

Last edited:

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
Peeta Bread
No​
You're so mean to the best kit :(

Really nice guide though! I would have a lot of trouble explaining this as I almost never think about it when I use some of these tactics. I didn't get how the corpse feeding worked after is first released and I thought it was broken... Thanks for clearing that up for me! ♡

Reactions: Story

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
This thread was way larger than I expected it to be! I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into this, just to make a large, informative survival games analysis.
You mentioned a lot if different techniques, how to perform them, when they can be useful, etc. I think it's safe to say that a lot of people will learn from them.
The kit analysis is spot on, and I absolutely love the amount of math you incorporated into this. Extremely informative & gives you a better insight on how to take on challenging situations. I'm glad to have given a few tips in order to make SG that much more interesting for everyone!

SG really is a very complex gamemode...
ps: nerf cannibal guys

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
Holy moly thats a big thread! Well done dude definetely learned some new things.
Have a quick tip to add too :):

-Fire Aspect tapping (to stay in the theme with other names you gave strats)

Have your fire aspect sword in your offhand and your main sword in your main hand. Whenever you fight someone, press F to switch to your Fire Aspect sword and hit them, then switch back to deal loads of damage, whenever the fire runs out just switch back again :D. It keeps them from being able to run away as stated in the main post but'll also tick-damage them during the fight which can be really annoying (just like a fishing-rod used to do in 1.8). Lastly, if they do not have a lowfire texturepack it'll block a big part of the opponents screen, which is handy :D

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
Rapid Axe Tap Tactic:
I got this idea after pvping @Thefty in which he killed me holding an axe and a sword and I messaged him and said "what's the tactic behind duel wielding" to which he replied "eh, nothing really." so my surprise, there is.

To setup what you want to do is find an Axe and a Sword, put your Axe in your main hand and the Sword in your off hand.
Let's begin, what you want to do is approach a player as you usually do, ready to attack. You want to hit him with the axe and as soon as the hit connects you hit F (offhand switch by default, mine is on the side of my mouse which is amazing) to switch to your sword which has the reduced cooldown and start hitting the player rapidly, not spammy just regularly maybe sometimes short of the full cooldown. This tactic inflicts huge damage as you are leading in with a 9 damage hit and then switching to your sword for close combat. This is somewhat difficult to learn at first, many people struggle to remember to do it but I feel like most peoples problem is the Hotkey. Mine is on the side of my mouse which makes it so much easier, I highly recommend if you have a gaming mouse that you utlize this technique with those buttons, it's super powerful. Even if you don't use it in this way it's good to have an easy switch between axe and sword for different players.
But what's the point of putting the axe/sword in the offhand slot?
If you put an item with a right click action (shield/bow/lava bucket) in it you can use it without reseting your weapon cooldown. But if you switch weapons with F it resets the cooldown anyway. I usually put my primary weapon on hotbar slot 1 and my secondary weapon on slot 3. That way I can quickly switch between them by pressing 1 and 3 and still have the advantage of being able to use by offhand item while using the weapon.

Thefty

Forum Expert
Nov 20, 2015
somewhere deep in the woods
jesus christ dude, you went absolutely ham on this lol....
although i know most of these things (would be pretty sad if i didnt...) this guide is amazing...
good job dude!

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
But what's the point of putting the axe/sword in the offhand slot?
If you put an item with a right click action (shield/bow/lava bucket) in it you can use it without reseting your weapon cooldown. But if you switch weapons with F it resets the cooldown anyway. I usually put my primary weapon on hotbar slot 1 and my secondary weapon on slot 3. That way I can quickly switch between them by pressing 1 and 3 and still have the advantage of being able to use by offhand item while using the weapon.
There's no real reason to put the secondary weapon in offhand slot, I didn't say you had to specifically. I just wrote it like that because that's what I use because I have buttons on my mouse which makes switching whilst pvping silky smooth.

It's entirely up to your play style whether you have your axe/sword in your offhand or close by on the hotbar.

Thefty

Forum Expert
Nov 20, 2015
somewhere deep in the woods
There's no real reason to put the secondary weapon in offhand slot, I didn't say you had to specifically. I just wrote it like that because that's what I use because I have buttons on my mouse which makes switching whilst pvping silky smooth.

It's entirely up to your play style whether you have your axe/sword in your offhand or close by on the hotbar.
Just to add to that, I personally only use it if I have a normal sword and then a fire aspect sword, I put the fire aspect sword in the offhand and then when I fight I use the normal weapon, but if they start running I quickly switch to fire aspect so they can't run ;P

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
Just to add to that, I personally only use it if I have a normal sword and then a fire aspect sword, I put the fire aspect sword in the offhand and then when I fight I use the normal weapon, but if they start running I quickly switch to fire aspect so they can't run ;P
Plus even further beyond that, I tend to switch mid-fight If I keep missing hits with my sword, using the hotbar would require me to take my finger off W or grow another finger in order to push it which would make moving harder. (you could use the scroll wheel but that's really hard when you're moving it. :P )

Reactions: Thefty

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
Plus even further beyond that, I tend to switch mid-fight If I keep missing hits with my sword, using the hotbar would require me to take my finger off W or grow another finger in order to push it which would make moving harder. (you could use the scroll wheel but that's really hard when you're moving it. :p )
I tap 1 with my a-finger and 3 with my d-finger which makes it as easy as tapping f for me. I also don't have a mouse button to swap offhand. I guess it depends on your setup but I would't want to lose the advantage of being able to use the shield/bow/bucket while fighting.

L

Lepzi

Wow all of this is just absolutely amazing!:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Jaistrix

Forum Expert
Oct 20, 2015
England
twitter.com
Really good guide :p A lot of really good tips and the statistics and information behind the kits is really interesting. I do have one more that you could add, it's a bit hard to explain but it's to do with either running away or chasing someone in water.

If you look at the bottom of the water (you have to be able to reach the bottom) with a water bucket you can empty the bucket and pick the water back up again you can use the current of the water to drag you forward and move faster. This means you can edge your way further away from people chasing you or if you are chasing someone the current can also drag them back towards and you towards them so you can catch up. It's a really simple thing but if you get good at it and know where to use it it can be really useful. I don't know if you know this but if you don't I'll try and record what I mean at some point or I'll show you in game :p If I ever see you.

Edit: best maps to use it on are ruins and underwater.

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
For chest stealing, wouldn't double clicking than shift clicking be a better idea if there were multiple separate stackable items that weren't together
Also for the axe tap, aren't you also putting yourself at a disadvantage if they have something like TNT or a bow I can understand the strategy yes but I am not that sure it is 1 that will work for many especially being what sort of players this guide is targeting

Other than that I don't see any flaws (or just what I would say flaws) in this guide so for the most part it is

Jaistrix

Forum Expert
Oct 20, 2015
England
twitter.com
For chest stealing, wouldn't double clicking than shift clicking be a better idea if there were multiple separate stackable items that weren't together
Also for the axe tap, aren't you also putting yourself at a disadvantage if they have something like TNT or a bow I can understand the strategy yes but I am not that sure it is 1 that will work for many especially being what sort of players this guide is targeting

Other than that I don't see any flaws (or just what I would say flaws) in this guide so for the most part it is
I don't duel wield at all and I still beat a lot of people in fights (I'm not saying I'm the best but). I use hotkeys for almost my entire hotbar. How you PVP is preference I guess, you use your own strengths to your advantage. The axe tap is a good tip because the axe does a lot more damage than swords and that method helps you keep momentum when attacking another player instead of awkwardly bouncing off of eachother :p if you start a fight with an axe crit I'm most fights you will have a big advantage.

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
I don't duel wield at all and I still beat a lot of people in fights (I'm not saying I'm the best but). I use hotkeys for almost my entire hotbar. How you PVP is preference I guess, you use your own strengths to your advantage. The axe tap is a good tip because the axe does a lot more damage than swords and that method helps you keep momentum when attacking another player instead of awkwardly bouncing off of eachother :p if you start a fight with an axe crit I'm most fights you will have a big advantage.
Yes except the follow-up sword attack than does less damage so it more evens out also starting a fight with an axe crits may help but 1 in the actual showing of it at no point is it proven or even shown you are doing a crits and you'd probably kill them with an axe just fine if this works for you anyways P.S. keep in mind his example was against an iron golem not an actual player who could hit you back and remember the last part of that too

D

Deleted member 324613

This actually taught me a lot of things I haven't even thought of doing before.... thanks, now I feel a lot more intelligenter :)

(also, screw the dog kit)

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Sergiio12 wrote on LoveAndMafia's profile.
Alejaaaandro
Blom wrote on Lyriie's profile.
Lyriie, sorry for bullying you all the time :o
Ur an amazing staff member <3
mojang nerf mobile players pls
Someone nerfed me because I can't find those hidden chests as easily anymore.. I won't stop trying tho >:c
Top Bottom