Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyArrow

Forum Expert
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello and welcome to this new suggestion!

The suggestion is quite simple;
Add a setting on the Forums to display the pronouns you use to all forum users. This setting could prevent situations where someone talks to someone using wrong pronouns, just because someone is not aware of others their pronouns.

The pronouns can be shown beneath the 'about me' page, it could look like this:
1639865460840.png

credits to @Lecura

ShinyArrow

Forum Expert
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/Him
there can also be a lot of trolling with "joke" pronouns
A possible solution for this could be adding a list with many pronouns where people can choose from. However I doubt many people would use this to troll and if they were to do so, I don't think it's too big of an issue.

AlexTheNG

May 28, 2020
OwO's Secret Laboratory
youtu.be
there can also be a lot of trolling with "joke" pronouns
omw to abuse them to do a little trolling as soon as it gets implemented.
A possible solution for this could be adding a list with many pronouns where people can choose from. However I doubt many people would use this to troll and if they were to do so, I don't think it's too big of an issue.
bet.

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
Or, hear me out. You put it in your about, problem solved. Just like was done in the screenshot you provided.
Making it accept plain text will lead to trolls. Making it a list will by nature upset people, cause what about mine?? Making a "submit new pronoun" will lead to trolls and will give the moderation a new task that they're not qualified for. They moderate a Minecraft community, don't stand judge on how people identify.
Just putting it in your about works more than fine. And is already been done as seen in the screenshot. Yes, people could troll here, but it puts less emphasize on the option (I.e. they would have to come up with it themselves instead of seeing the option presented).

ShinyArrow

Forum Expert
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/Him
Or, hear me out. You put it in your about, problem solved. Just like was done in the screenshot you provided.
Making it accept plain text will lead to trolls. Making it a list will by nature upset people, cause what about mine?? Making a "submit new pronoun" will lead to trolls and will give the moderation a new task that they're not qualified for. They moderate a Minecraft community, don't stand judge on how people identify.
Just putting it in your about works more than fine. And is already been done as seen in the screenshot. Yes, people could troll here, but it puts less emphasize on the option (I.e. they would have to come up with it themselves instead of seeing the option presented).
Such an argument doesn't make sense to me. There are multiple other settings like gender and occupation. With your argument there is no need in keeping them just because there is an about page. Some people prefer to use their about page in another way rather than listing all their personal details like their gender and pronouns and this setting is a perfect solution for this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lecura and iTBD

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
Such an argument doesn't make sense to me. There are multiple other settings like gender and occupation. With your argument there is no need in keeping them just because there is an about page. Some people prefer to use their about page in another way rather than listing all their personal details like their gender and pronouns and this setting is a perfect solution for this.
There is a fundamental difference between those things. Occupation and gender are well-defined, finite things. Pronouns on the other hand or ill-defined and depending on whom you ask perhaps even countable infinite things. If you read my post, I explain why it simply wouldn't work.

But perhaps you're right. Might be easier to remove it all

Btw: my post explains why pronouns wouldn't work. Not why any form of "personal details" wouldn't work.

Last edited:

AlexTheNG

May 28, 2020
OwO's Secret Laboratory
youtu.be
Some people prefer to use their about page in another way rather than listing all their personal details like their gender and pronouns and this setting is a perfect solution for this.
I don't see any benefits of this suggestion. The only benefits I see from this suggestion is the ability to troll others and mislead them into thinking you're this gender and stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Matriox and iTBD

foomini

??? in its current form you might as well use the about me section, it should be visible on the sidebar like join date, comments, location etc.

as for all the crybabies in the comments who are like "oh mods are so unqualified to moderate troll pronouns" - you know us trans people literally ARE HERE? HELLO, YOU CAN LITERALLY ASK US??? WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
??? in its current form you might as well use the about me section, it should be visible on the sidebar like join date, comments, location etc.

as for all the crybabies in the comments who are like "oh mods are so unqualified to moderate troll pronouns" - you know us trans people literally ARE HERE? HELLO, YOU CAN LITERALLY ASK US??? WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
Mods don't ask community members for opinions on moderation decisions

AlexTheNG

May 28, 2020
OwO's Secret Laboratory
youtu.be

Are they useful? No.
Do they make profiles look better? No.
Are they necessary? No.

And yes I (and probably other members) do understand trans people exist and we've seen a couple of them before.

I just don't understand what you need pronouns in the sidebar so much. I mean it makes a lot of sense for join date and location but seriously what are you gonna do with pronouns?
The reason why location and join date is necessary is because they gave some basic and (probably) useful information about the member just by taking a look at their profile.
I do not understand why you need pronouns in the sidebar because well.. as I stated above, they're not useful, they don't make much difference or make profiles looks better and not necessarily as you could just put that and other stuff in your "about me" section. I mean, it only takes you like a second to click the about section on someone's profile and read their about me description. If you just desperate to know what their gender is, you could just (shamelessly) dm them and ask what their gender is.

LeCastel

Dedicated Member
Aug 23, 2016
The Shattered Plains
And people are allowed to put fake information/jokes in the occupation and location settings. If they were to add an extra slot for the pronouns, should the same freedom apply there? Or should it be only selectable options or with rules?

• Agree
Reactions: 99th_DutchVoid

99th_DutchVoid

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2016
Overijssel, The Netherlands
www.99th-dutchies.nl
Pronouns
He/Him
I have to say that I'm actually surprised how many people seem to have an issue with this. There actually is a group that profits from this and it's not like it does any harm to other users. The argument that people will put random things there makes no sense IMHO, since this already happens with the occupation and location field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

help I can't decide between drawing and writing
Aveezz The OG wrote on univesanand's profile.
Happy Birthday
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #19-
The Sun makes a sound but we can't hear it.
Reesle wrote on xireu's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Reesle wrote on Mantas2221's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! 👋
Top Bottom