Status
Not open for further replies.

Jef15ist

Dedicated Member
Jun 7, 2016
India
Swords:

PROS:
  • Easy to use, most remarkable item in MC.
  • Fast swing, good damage.
  • Cheaper than Axes.
CONS:
  • Easily countered by shields.
  • (I don't know anything else, please feedback)

Axes:

PROS:
  • Great damage.
  • Easy to use and to learn.
  • Greater damage than swords.
  • Can counter shields (Makes shield unusable when attacked with a full attack meter)
CONS:
  • High cost (24 diamonds for a diamond Axe which is worth 2 swords of diamond)
  • Slow swing.
  • Not enough durability.(Uses 2 durability every hit)
  • Easily countered by a swordsman.

These are my opinions on Swords and Axes after the Combat Update. Please leave your feedback. Hopefully helped a few.

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
I like swords better often i can kill someone faster than they can kill me with an axe, also this is 1.9 pvp in 1.10 and 1.11 some of these pros and cons are no longer true, such as shields now deflect anything and you take no knockback and cant be disabled

Jef15ist

Dedicated Member
Jun 7, 2016
India
No i'm sure you still can disable a shield temporarily with an axe, and you still take knockback. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I like swords better often i can kill someone faster than they can kill me with an axe, also this is 1.9 pvp in 1.10 and 1.11 some of these pros and cons are no longer true, such as shields now deflect anything and you take no knockback and cant be disabled
No i'm sure you still can disable a shield temporarily with an axe, and you still take knockback. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
1.9 combat has not been changed till 1.11.2, as seen here on the Minecraft wiki http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Axe

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands

1.9 combat has not been changed till 1.11.2, as seen here on the Minecraft wiki http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Axe
Really? In the 1.11 (not 1.11.2) update shields made you invincible when shields were added they only blocked arrows, now they block all melee damage and knockback

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
I personally avoid using axes as much as possible in eggwars/skywars since you have to crit a lot to use them effectively. Getting hit in the air launches you way further away than getting hit on the ground so I usually get knocked off when using axes on smaller eggwars maps and skywars maps. For eggwars swords are pretty much always the best since they are cheap and have greater durability for fighting than axes. I'll get a wood axe in hardcore mode so I can use debuffer and still deal dammage if I splash myself. I also use an axe sometimes on half health but all other times I'll use a sword

L

Lepzi

I prefer swords knowing I have always used them they are easy to use, I have used axes in the past I'm not bad, but I find it harder to use so I just stick with swords.

6views_

Aug 8, 2016
Near Brighton, UK!
A good axe PvPer will always beat a good sword PvPer, because when you both hit each other and both get knocked back the axe is charged up and ready.

DragonSan

Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2016
A good axe PvPer will always beat a good sword PvPer, because when you both hit each other and both get knocked back the axe is charged up and ready.
Not necessarily, a good sword combo can really mess up an axe PvPer. Although axes deal a nice amount of damage you can't string a combo as effectively because of the slow recharge, leaving you open to hits for slightly more time.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer to fight with an axe myself. I'm just saying a player who knows how to handle a sword will beat a good axe PvPer 75% of the time. That's in my experience anyways...

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
I prefer the sword because of the fast recharge and its ability to combo easier. While shields counter it, keep in mind that using the shield renders its user unable to attack and reduces his mobility significantly unless he's using kill aura and noslow. Additionally, pre-1.11 shields block 2/3 of the damage instead of all of it, so the user will still take some sword damage. Because of this property, most people will not use a shield in pre-1.11 combat (more likely used in post-1.11 to block all the hits). You can mitigate or eliminate that weakness entirely by bringing an axe just to land the first hit or to disable the shield -- in other games, lava or fire will also do the trick.

More pros/cons of the two (from an old post). This also assumes we take armor penetration into account, but this server has that mechanic disabled. https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/sword-or-axe.134038/page-4

Sword:
+Scales well with sharpness since sharpness increases the DPS by 1.6 on the first enchant. Subsequent enchants increase the DPS by 0.8.
+Can be enchanted with fire aspect, effectively bypassing shields.
+Some crowd control, though this bonus is negligible unless it's 1.11.1+ combat with the sweeping edge enchant.
-Penetrates less armor than the axe (doesn't apply to Cube since armor penetration is disabled).
-Weaker than fire swords and axes for first strikes and chasing.
-Low damage for wood and gold swords. Even a gold axe has higher DPS than a gold sword!

Axe:
+High burst damage means it's good for chasing or first strikes.
+Paired with crits, it can tear through more armor.
+Benefits more from strength potions thanks to its high burst damage. This means it will pierce through even more armor than a sword with strength.
-No fire aspect and knockback enchants. Exception: custom-created axes in SG have knockback.

Any weapon works in the hands of a kill aura user because of crits and 100% accuracy. Just kidding; don't ever do this.

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
95% of the time:
Swords > Axes.
They do a lot more damage than axes overtime, especially if you crit very well. You can easily strafe and combo a player with an axe, and as long as you stay withing 5 blocks radius of them all the time they can't do a thing. I only use shields for blocking arrows, so that's also not really a thing.
Swords excel at skybridge pvp compared to axes.

Exceptions: Knockback and Punch items, underwater, OHK fights, and very rough and blocked areas (slabs and pillars everywhere)

KidBit

Dedicated Member
May 9, 2016
Maple Syrup Land
i prefer swords because of the easy combos i can get and its easier for me to get more hits i find the more hits you can get on someone the more damage you will do to them and swords have a bit more knockback when you hit the player with combos so easier to knock them off if they are near an edge

Zidkon

Feb 11, 2017
Axe on normal games, swords on OP games, unless is a half life - OP.

It all depends on your strategy, you can pretty much counter sword users with the axe, but it all depends on the situation, if you are on a close space, a good sword user will destroy you, if you have worse armor than your oponent then you better use an Axe, you don't expose yourself so much.

Anyways most of the people doesn't know how to PvP so stick to learn while people are still understanding it.

DaveyDa

Jul 10, 2016
Netherlands
Personally i prefer swords because you can strafe and hit faster so the damage you would deal within lets say 1 second with the axe in one swing you can do it in the same time but then with a sword. Also you can keep attacking and this makes youre opponent "nervous" and his concentration lowers (i hope i explained good enough to understand ;p)

BUT after all its just what you like the most. If you are more of a person of defence then i prefer the axe because its a good weapon for hit and run weapon and the sword is more offensive to strafe and keep hitting.

Darkform9

May 6, 2016
European Union- unlike a certain traitor
Personally I would use a combination of axe and sword if I was fighting someone in the centre of an island with no nearby edges and try and get a kill, and swap to sword and bow if I was near an edge or bridge and attempt to get a knockoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I got my first 20k kills in FFA!:D
20 000 kills in ffa picture 2.png
Reesle wrote on Maxminedigger's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎈🧁
Livvv wrote on Maxminedigger's profile.
GRATTIS MAXI TAXIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!💕🎉🙌
JokeKaedee wrote on yousif1playz's profile.
Happy birthday c:
JokeKaedee wrote on Maxminedigger's profile.
Happy birthday!! 🍰
Top Bottom