Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Laura

Dedicated Member
Verified
Jan 16, 2018
Space
Pronouns
She/Her
I don't know everything about coding but I'm sure as heck changing the party chat color or making the chat filter toggleble in party chat is a whole lot simpler than adding in 2 entirely new games (bingo (which is pretty much dead already), and parkour).

For something like an app developed by a one / two person team, like you might find on an app store; yes, it is a simple change.
Again I can't go into any more detail, however we have a lot processes and systems that either affect or rely on chat, which can be negatively affected by changes such as these, and therefore require a lot more resources and testing than initially thought. Some of our games affect how chat behaves, and therefore individual exceptions need to be developed for each of these too, eating even more time and resources.
Besides, my point wasn't specifically for this suggestion, just a general stance on suggestions as a whole.
I also refer you to my point that, as this isn't a literal 2 minute fix, and for project structure and development sanity's sake, this will only be looked at the next time a developer is assigned to it.

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
For something like an app developed by a one / two person team, like you might find on an app store; yes, it is a simple change.
Again I can't go into any more detail, however we have a lot processes and systems that either affect or rely on chat, which can be negatively affected by changes such as these, and therefore require a lot more resources and testing than initially thought. Some of our games affect how chat behaves, and therefore individual exceptions need to be developed for each of these too, eating even more time and resources.
Besides, my point wasn't specifically for this suggestion, just a general stance on suggestions as a whole.
I also refer you to my point that, as this isn't a literal 2 minute fix, and for project structure and development sanity's sake, this will only be looked at the next time a developer is assigned to it.
How come Hypixel can manage chat updates such as the one suggested here in one DAY then? (Not even exaggerating btw, look it up if you wish). Just wondering (honest)

Laura

Dedicated Member
Verified
Jan 16, 2018
Space
Pronouns
She/Her
How come Hypixel can manage chat updates such as the one suggested here in one DAY then? (Not even exaggerating btw, look it up if you wish). Just wondering (honest)

This is where it starts to get out of my area of knowledge, plus I have no idea how their projects are managed, nor anything about their internal frameworks and systems.
Best guess would be that either they already had their systems designed to easily allow for this to be implemented, had some idle developers (a luxury miracle) or they may have their developers dedicated to specific projects permanently, or a project structure which is complete anarchy (unlikely, but still a non-zero chance). ;)
Honestly, I can't tell you for sure. I can say that adding things in 'whenever' completely goes against our development methodologies though.

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
This is where it starts to get out of my area of knowledge, plus I have no idea how their projects are managed, nor anything about their internal frameworks and systems.
Best guess would be that either they already had their systems designed to easily allow for this to be implemented, had some idle developers (a luxury miracle) or they may have their developers dedicated to specific projects permanently, or a project structure which is complete anarchy (unlikely, but still a non-zero chance). ;)
Honestly, I can't tell you for sure. I can say that adding things in 'whenever' completely goes against our development methodologies though.
Ok, makes more sense now, thanks for your reply. Hopefully your development methodologies can improve and become similar to hypixel's in the future

Reactions: CommunistCactus
L

Lightning McQueen

Ok, makes more sense now, thanks for your reply. Hopefully your development methodologies can improve and become similar to hypixel's in the future
I agree. Small, frequent updates are superior to these big ones by lightyears. Hey @johncoles no more big updates please, more small ones are appreciated!

Tacosbefriends

Forum Professional
Jan 13, 2014
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
How else are we now supposed to make a suggestion, repost it when it is older than 2 weeks instead of just having the old thread?
You got an answer from John Coles himself.
Having some ability to toggle the filter on and off in PMs or Parties is a nice idea and we can certainly look in to what impact we think this will have on players. Again sometimes it sucks because we have to make a decision that will negatively affect a small percentage of users but provides a better player experience to players over all.

As I have said before we want it to be as good as we can and continue to make changes daily to how it is working. Thanks for your suggestions <3
Making more threads or continuing the old one serves literally no purpose. Frankly, the thread should've been locked as soon as John gave his response.

L

Lightning McQueen

Making more threads or continuing the old one serves literally no purpose. Frankly, the thread should've been locked as soon as John gave his response.
the prob is you guys take 7377482738 years to update something

Reactions: CommunistCactus

johncoles

Forum Expert
Jan 6, 2014
Manchester, UK
johncoles.com
Noted.
I agree. Small, frequent updates are superior to these big ones by lightyears. Hey @johncoles no more big updates please, more small ones are appreciated!

However "Small" updates are rarely ever that. The "size" of an update to you guys and to us can be two very different things. We take longer to work on updates as we prefer to encompass as much in to one update as possible. This means that more suggestions and features can be added in one development cycle rather than having developers bounce from one project to another to another.

As for why we lock repeat topics and necroposting it's sort of self explanatory. I really don't get how the question "Well if a topic already exists and it's locked why can't I keep making new ones". I mean it's locked for a reason. Repeating the same suggestions over and over again is not helpful to anybody. The quality of the discussion gets poorer and poorer with each version and the discussion often moves far way from the original point. What starts off as "Change this chat filter" becomes a topic complaining about developers time assignments, management and "memes".

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
As for why we lock repeat topics and necroposting it's sort of self explanatory. I really don't get how the question "Well if a topic already exists and it's locked why can't I keep making new ones". I mean it's locked for a reason. Repeating the same suggestions over and over again is not helpful to anybody. The quality of the discussion gets poorer and poorer with each version and the discussion often moves far way from the original point. What starts off as "Change this chat filter" becomes a topic complaining about developers time assignments, management and "memes".
It's not me who is reposting the suggestion:
https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/what-the-devs-should-be-doing.207128/#post-988518

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/s...iend-chat-is-it-redundant.207130/#post-988533

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/a...an-sign-in-the-beginning-of-a-message.207091/

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/make-the-word-bullshit-allowed.207050/#post-987797

https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/t...ages-are-filtered-nerf-spam-preventer.207077/
These are all very recent threads which have something to do with my suggestion. Most of the people writing it probably didn't know/forgot about my suggestion.
Besides, I didn't repost the suggestion, I asked for an update since it has been 6 months since the last staff reply.
Thanks for noting. Hope you can do something with the note.
which was over 6 months ago. Meanwhile the issue keeps getting brought up by different people. See above.

Reactions: SpankMeSanta

BadGuy

Novice Member
Feb 26, 2017
California
I suppose you know how suggestions are being handled better than I do.

When a suggestion is generally liked, a moderator adds it to one of the suggestions channels on our communication platform. The project leader, Camezonda, then reads through all of them and -considering if the suggestion is doable- adds them to the corresponding project, such as a SkyWars update or chat revamp. Once a developer is assigned to one of these projects, they will code whatever the project leader put in the project description.

A moderator will forward the same suggestion only once, and the project leader will add a suggestion to a project only once. Whether a suggestion has one, three or twenty versions on the forums, it will be mentioned only once behind the screens.

Developers don't base their projects off the version on the forums. All suggestions are being reworked by multiple people first.

Some suggestions simply aren't a good idea. The chat filter telling you what's not allowed, for example, would be a great for evading it, especially for the masterbrain behind the daily spambots on 1.8. It's like opening up Sentinel so everyone knows how it works and how to bypass it.
burn? I'm not sure how roasting the kids works nowadays...

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Lyriie wrote on r1ftz9462's profile.
Happy birthday!
Lyriie wrote on glo7776's profile.
Happy birthday!
Lyriie wrote on DonovanSus's profile.
Thank you for the follow!
Livvv wrote on Vunks's profile.
Thanks for the follow! ^-^
Top Bottom