Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Skyrider6

Mar 28, 2017
So this was one of the biggest map updates for SkyWars we've ever done. Due to a lot of the old maps being removed/changed, we know some of the changes could be difficult for nostalgic players since you grow attached to classic maps. I want to go into extreme detail why we made certain changes to maps, and what certain decisions were based from. We worked along side a group of staff that all played SkyWars extensively and had been on the leaderboards at one point, for feedback, including starting threads on the forums asking for feedback and scouring through any complaints about particular maps on forums/twitter.

SkyWars has needed an update for quite some time. It got to the point where so many community maps had been accepted through map submissions, which was out of my control at the time. As a result we had over 40 maps, this isn't always a good thing having lots of maps, as it is harder for your favourite maps to appear. I want every map to be different by using layouts and interesting level design. Not 20 maps that have a circle layout and are just different themes, which is why I am so excited for this SkyWars update, since we have made such big changes to maps. With the addition of map specific items, this is such a fun tool for builders, who can now come up with creative items they want in the maps.

Using images of a birds eye view and land views, I want to try and illustrate my descriptions and points.

How maps have been changed

End - 1.9 only
- Layout: The typical circle has been changed to a more chaotic layout, this is to reflect the use of chorus fruit which will randomly teleport you. A very exciting new game mechanic. The layout is similar to bones which is a fairly popular map. The biome has been updated to an End biome.
- Starter islands: The problem with the original map was the lack of space to PvP. The island had been increased in size and made flatter. The tower has had additional detail of the 1.9 blocks however still keeps the similar aspect of obsidian tower. The terraforming underneath the island has been altered to look a lot better and more colourful.
- Middle: We've updated middle so it isn't as dull and boring and just a tower to an egg, to resemble the dragons egg which is full of chests. A more creative way to hide chests.
- Summary: The new map now has new gameplay features, a more chaotic layout and has become more colourful.

ijWrm3H.jpg

TzeeHHe.jpg

Candy
-
Layout:
The typical circle has been transformed into a completely different layout not like anything we've had before. Numerous islands which you can bridge to within 6/7 blocks. The past layout was unfair as not all the islands had an equal distance away from each other, that has been fixed. The middle is now much closer and achievable to get to. We want to encourage lots of close combat.
-
Starter Islands: The islands have been kept roughly the same. All the chests have now been moved above ground as some islands previously had 1 chest down the ladder and 1 on top of island. The pink tree has been updated to a colourful lollipop however still keeps logs so players can bridge across easy and craft. Due to the candy canes being a nice gameplay feature we've kept them so players can parkour.
-
Middle: Just for the nostalgic players we've kept the exact middle but just moved it lower so players can't camp as easily, and added two tiers of cake below it, for a nice PvP area including levels. The middle contains a very cool trap and a secret room, and plenty of cake for all your hunger needs.
-
Summary: It feels what candy is meant to be, more colourful and creative. With a brand new trap and close combat. The layout is now fair for everyone and middle is achievable, considering this was my first SkyWars map I ever made all that time ago, this updated version feels a lot better.

RR4Mfbj.jpg

dvaBvRu.jpg

Mushroom
-
Layout:
The typical circle has been transformed into another unusual layout. This particular layout combines height and angles to make more exciting gameplay than people camping on their starter island. The in-between islands vary a lot more in size, some with more space to PvP than others, and really encourages the use of parkour. It is also fair for all players now, since no island is further than their opponent. The number of players has been cut down from 16 to 12 to make this layout work.
-
Starter Islands: The mushrooms have been updated to look more realistic, however still retain similar gameplay, just being slightly bigger and minor fixes of trapdoors.
-
Middle: Previous middle was extremely far away, and barely anybody would achieve getting to it and would set off the trap. This middle has a much more surprising trap and will take experience to beat it. It has also been updated to a giant mushroom house which is a lot more fitting to the theme than a drooping tree.
-
Summary: The revamp encourages a lot more close combat and reduced that need to camp to stay safe. The aspect of parkour is what makes this map so rushy and exciting. 12 player maps seem to be very popular and we hope this map will be too.

X2sanwV.jpg

mcKvt82.jpg

Nether
- Layout: Due to so many of the old maps using the original circle layout, we decided to keep this one but still do something to make it different, by introducing the aspect of parkouring to the middle. With great risk comes great reward (Much cringe). The biggest change with the layout is that the middle is actually in the middle (facepalm).
-
Starter Islands: The islands are relatively the same other than the terraforming has been made to be more creative by adding a dangerous looking spike.
-
Middle: The previous middle had a danger of lava and being shot into it, with a bigger middle this was quite hard to replicate. However once you have parkoured down you will be right near lava, this is the enemies chance to shoot at you. This middle still may change depending if players camp on top skulls which has been an issue for a few SkyWars maps. However it looks a lot more hellish, and the skulls are full of wooden logs for players to get blocks once they have parkoured down.
-
Summary: The layout is definitely something that separates it from the other maps using a possible rush tactic to get to middle, and the towering skulls make it look awesome!

Pq6mKEk.jpg

GyTgPUj.jpg

Taiga
-
Layout:
As you can see in the picture the old layout was unfair to certain islands, as the mid islands were closer to others. This new layout makes 2 islands have equal distance to the in between island, on every side. Due to the islands being so small, we wanted to make them bigger so their was a larger PvP space.
-
Starter Islands: The problem with previous islands, was the amount of stuff on it, blocks that prevented clean PvP like double grass, and sugar canes. The starting islands have now been made flatter and have a lot less stuff in the way. The trees are no longer bone mealed and look so much nicer.
-
Middle: The previous middle wasn't too bad, but it just lacked a lot of gameplay aspects other than fighting indoors. The new middle has quite a few secret rooms that have unusual traps to prevent you from going in them. For example hidden behind cobble/stone brick are monster egg blocks. Just a fun aspect we wanted to add to hear peoples reactions.
-
Summary: Another unique layout which is now balanced for all players, less detailed and more gameplay friendly.

8yOD5gG.jpg

Ad33rCR.jpg
Cool new maps, but I am kinda late responding lol

RtasBishop

Apr 26, 2017
Ii my opinion the building team have done great job with the new maps and i think you should keep up the great work

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Reesle wrote on yrarrsboyincube's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! Happy to have you here! :)
Reesle wrote on UncleSpect's profile.
Congrats on 4.5K reaction score!! 🎉✨
Eli
I managed to put together a python script with the help of an AI friend of mine, I'm gonna make an updated version of the Global Reaction Score thread, this time, having counted all 352,348 forums users!!
Xi1m wrote on Casualpoalrbear's profile.
pinterest is a gold mine ong
IMG_9017.jpeg
Skylanders! I remember that I bought this pack (not my picture.) For Skylanders Super Chargers I recall that I played the game with my parents and little sister it was a blast and I enjoyed every second of it. We bought more of them and collected even more of them. Replayed the game many times and the levels. Good memories xD
Screenbits 2024-04-29_205054.png
Top Bottom