Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
I totally agree with @Snap. We shouldn't make people mad in the community and assume their genders. It's sexist and it can make people mad. I'll forward this to some developers. Great idea :).
Seriously? Just a warning: try to please everyone and youll please noone

If players care about chat that much they should have both a priority and reality check
also you can only change it to he/she or he or she but both are grammatically incorrect and "they" is plural which also triggers me

Reactions: Story

ISTY.

Forum Expert
Dec 26, 2016
London
www.nasa.gov
People might get triggered?

YetAEzq.jpg
No bad memes allowed

ShelbyYuki

Feb 16, 2017
United States
www.instagram.com
Seriously? Just a warning: try to please everyone and youll please noone

If players care about chat that much they should have both a priority and reality check
also you can only change it to he/she or he or she but both are grammatically incorrect and "they" is plural which also triggers me
I get what you are saying but its a really sensative topic and its important for things like that to get fixed. Its just like if a server said "You cant do this because its against this religion". That would make people who beleive other religions pretty angry. It may not affect you (and it doesn't affect me either) but if we CAN change it to make people happier and less triggered, then why not?

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
I get what you are saying but its a really sensative topic and its important for things like that to get fixed. Its just like if a server said "You cant do this because its against this religion". That would make people who beleive other religions pretty angry. It may not affect you (and it doesn't affect me either) but if we CAN change it to make people happier and less triggered, then why not?
Your actually not your just changing who you make angry lol

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
People might get triggered?

YetAEzq.jpg
might?
Scientifically there are only 2 genders.
He/She is already enough to describe both.
I'm not sure why someone would get triggered by seeing he/she in chat.
I totally agree with @Snap. We shouldn't make people mad in the community and assume their genders. It's sexist and it can make people mad. I'll forward this to some developers. Great idea :).
Not really sexism. Since there are only 2 official genders.

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
The fact that people are willing to get mad over a stupid bit of text on the screen that is programmed to just show up and is not an actual person is utterly ridiculous and in NO way is it sexist.

If a person spoke to you in person and thought you were Female when you're actually Male I can see why that would be insulting, but It's just a piece of text, it doesn't even know what you look like. Why would people get mad?

Reactions: ISTY.

ShelbyYuki

Feb 16, 2017
United States
www.instagram.com
I agree with how everyone says its ridiculous that people get triggered by a small word but if it affects A LOT of people then just fix it. It will make them happier and avoids problems in the future! There is NOTHING wrong with changing this to make others feel better.

Reactions: 1212hawks_

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
I agree with how everyone says its ridiculous that people get triggered by a small word but if it affects A LOT of people then just fix it. It will make them happier and avoids problems in the future! There is NOTHING wrong with changing this to make others feel better.
Pretty sure it only affects about 51% of the Community.
If it did affect more then there would be more threads about this certain topic. Since this is the first one I don't see a reason to change it.
I didn't see anyone getting bothered by it before neither do I now. So why should it be changed?

Stefanvld

Forum Expert
May 24, 2014
Behind you.
We shouldn't make people mad in the community and assume their genders. It's sexist and it can make people mad.

Not quite sure if or how to take this seriously. Programmed text on a server as whether a player is male or female cannot be determined by a computer is not offensive, let alone sexist.

If anything, I'd change he/she to 'they' because it sounds better grammatically.

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
Not quite sure if or how to take this seriously. Programmed text on a server as whether a player is male or female cannot be determined by a computer is not offensive, let alone sexist.

If anything, I'd change he/she to 'they' because it sounds better grammatically.
I'm saying is to fix this problem won't do any harm as this could make someone mad. What is wrong with changing it to (Player name) instead of "He" or "She". It can get someone mad. Doing this won't do anything bad.

Reactions: Sophie

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
might?
Scientifically there are only 2 genders.
He/She is already enough to describe both.
I'm not sure why someone would get triggered by seeing he/she in chat.

Not really sexism. Since there are only 2 official genders.
It's sexist because, cubecraft is saying most people are boys and everyone is a "he" instead of a "she". Making it seem like men are more superior to women. Anyways, what's wrong with changing it. It's just making it seem like men are superior.

Reactions: 6views_

matcha

Forum Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Droptown
It's sexist because, cubecraft is saying most people are boys and everyone is a "he" instead of a "she". Making it seem like men are more superior to women. Anyways, what's wrong with changing it. It's just making it seem like men are superior.

"Men are superior to women." Based on a few words from chat. It wouldn't do that much harm if it was added, but simply the message that people receive from this is ridiculous.

1212hawks_

Dedicated Member
Jul 16, 2016
The nest of dorks
www.youtube.com
My point is, it's offensive towards women. It's like going up to someone who sexually defines herself as a women, but people call her by her gender at birth. She will be very disrespected and sad if someone called her a "he" because she was born as a boy. Would you go up to a transgender and call her a "he"?

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Alright settle down kiddies, sheesh!

Assuming that somebody is male isn't sexist, however it does exclude / alienate the other gender. It may not be offensive to the majority of people per say, but for the sake of respecting the entire player-base, it couldn't hurt to alter the text to use a pronoun that includes everybody.

The fact that people are willing to get mad over a stupid bit of text on the screen that is programmed to just show up and is not an actual person is utterly ridiculous and in NO way is it sexist.
While I do agree with what you're saying, nobody has gotten mad over it. Somebody merely proposed altering the dialogue so that it doesn't exclude anybody. I don't understand the backlash here - It isn't pandering, nor is it offensive. All that was asked, is that 'he' be replaced with 'they' for the sake of not potentially alienating or offending anybody.

I wouldn't usually do this because I'm not a pathogen, but this thread should probably be locked. Nothing more can be added to the discussion, and it's already a sensitive enough subject as it is.

Few additional thoughts (@Staff feel free to delete if it's too sensitive):

Imagine if you were trans, and you saw that despite having a female avatar and being mentally feminine, you were still addressed as male by an automated system that simply assumes that the player in question is male by default. Sure, it's trivial to most people, but to a trans person this could be provocative or saddening.

Also, let's not forget that the proposed change does not negatively affect anybody at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Basketman wrote on BicolourSine41's profile.
Thanks for the follow! ❤️
Thjis wrote on Eli's profile.
Happy Bday!
Basketman wrote on savina875's profile.
Thanks for the follow!
Thunder wrote on Eli's profile.
Happy birthday!
Halloween Zoomed.png

I miss spooky season :(
Top Bottom