Andyyy

Forum Expert
Dec 7, 2016
Blockwars
Minecraft 27_08_2020 18_17_22.png

Might wanna fix this.

D

Deleted member 486250

I think the maps are fine, you definitely need more variety of maps and not only have flat maps of 50 blocks from flag to flag.

however, what I don't like is that they replace the void with glass it makes the map look horrible and completely "unnatural" if they are going to remove the void make the platforms bigger so that it looks like it is part of the map and not “oh we are too lazy to extend the platforms better put glass no matter what bad it looks”

And sometimes I think that in some places it is not necessary, in greenzone, tetromino and mushroom, the void where you placed glass are voids of 1 block where you could easily jump regardless of whether you are on a mobile .-.

Andyyy

Forum Expert
Dec 7, 2016
Blockwars
I've played the new maps around 15 times in total and it's clear that I wasn't wrong when it comes to long maps, especially ones that were made in another generation of game countless years ago, which should not meet the cubecraft design standards for new maps.

Games played on these maps have nothing of value added by being longer, players will simply either build a huge bridge to the other side or cover the flag. Those are the only two things that players do in build time so any extra length isn't providing more space for thoughtful defences, because players simply don't do that on bedrock, instead they are just long stretches to walk through where you rarely come across players as it's the best use of your time to either go to your flag or the enemies flag.

The issue isn't just as they are long maps, it's that they are long flat maps with nothing but the most shallow incline. These are fine on Java because players build the gameplay arena by themselves, which is unique each game and makes for variable gameplay. Bedrock does not have this playstyle so a map has to be interesting on it's own merit, and these maps simply aren't.

Gameplay wise, these are almost indistinguishable apart from where the shallow slope is and the various offshoots that unfortunately, will not be used because there is no need to try and avoid players when you rarely come across them. On the contrary, a good example of an offshoot is on Tetronimo, which has a very tight, small middle which is significantly more dangerous, making the other paths are a much more viable option. Games and robots are also good for another reason, the fastest path is the dangerous one, so you are facing a risk reward decision when working out which path to take.

As someone mentioned above, the habit of placing glass over every parkour jump in the map is a damaging one. The maps that previously had it had a solid reason to include the glass, as jumps were in irritating locations. Those maps also have plenty of other places with void (Hive has been revamped now, without the blanket void cover) but these ones don't at all and leave not a single opportunity to knock people in the void, (mushroom has some) for incredibly boring gameplay.

It's safe to say these maps are the most boring, repetitive maps out of all of them. The reason Blockwars has been so successful up to this point is because of the excellent selection of maps, and spoiling that with maps that are not thought out to consider bedrock gameplay is very disappointing, as I've enjoyed the game a ton so far and have sunk days into it.

Saying these maps are a poor choice would be silly if I didn't say what the good options for ports with various required levels of modification are:
  • Cactus, already being a favourite, if not the favourite java map, which looks great and has a unique design, would take only a small amount of gap coverage to be bedrock worthy.
  • Tree Alley, which already has some of the positive traits which I mentioned, could be scaled down with similar layout and possibly simplified cave area to make an interesting map.
  • The Bridge, with the addition of small void (3x4 ish) holes all around the bottom section of the map and simplified staircases would shake up the meta a lot when it comes to you you defend, obviously with a shorter bridge but that could just mean cutting out a whole middle section of the map, which in practice is very easy.
  • Basilisks, with easier parkour (similar to blockarena difficulty) and the spawnpoint moved closer would be great
  • Palette, with easier parkour once again and wider platforms (6-7 blocks wide) and the implementation of some way to take the flag from below.

The solution: Rethink how maps are implemented into the bedrock version of the game and heavily or remove revise the 3 new maps. You can either do the revision within the team or give the schematics out to the community, who will be happy to help a game they love. If something isn't done, it'll be extremely disappointing as these maps will simply be skipped and be a waste of everyone's time existing in their current state.

CedricFresh

Novice Member
May 15, 2020
These new maps are all probably longer than a football field.
Good designs, though. It will definitely be a change of pace.

• Wow
Reactions: Gregeyy
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Fesa wrote on Austin's profile.
Me getting flowers to put in your soup
1714588672643.jpeg
bye bye jujutsu kaisen hello one punch man
Eli
Alright, I have all the data for the forum statistics and curiosities thread, it took me multiple days to get it! The current program I'm using has a processing time of almost 23 hours! Had to use two computers to cut it down to 11.5 hours haha

1714578753386.png
Top Bottom