Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

LowFat

Dec 23, 2015
The Chunk Network
Out of everything you said I agree with just about 50%

My main disagreement has to do with math in coding. If you can't understand basic trigonometry, I believe you will be limited as a programmer. Sine and cosine are essential for lots of things in my opinion. For example, try having projectiles move in any arbitrary direction without the Math class in Java (specifically the atan2 method is what is important here). Perhaps this could be easily done using a library or some sort of engine, but you should understand what the engine is actually doing, right?

Side note: If you don't consider that "math" then let me tell you, lots of kids at my school are completely failing "not math."

Reactions: FalseHonesty

MrTokay

Jul 4, 2016
Jon's house
www.cubecraft.net
Out of everything you said I agree with just about 50%

My main disagreement has to do with math in coding. If you can't understand basic trigonometry, I believe you will be limited as a programmer. Sine and cosine are essential for lots of things in my opinion. For example, try having projectiles move in any arbitrary direction without the Math class in Java (specifically the atan2 method is what is important here). Perhaps this could be easily done using a library or some sort of engine, but you should understand what the engine is actually doing, right?

Side note: If you don't consider that "math" then let me tell you, lots of kids at my school are completely failing "not math."
Wait, so you're basically telling me that you need math, which isn't actually even real math, -and extremely basic math, for that matter-, to do a single thing in Java.
If you don't know math, lets say, at all, and you needed to use atan2 or math PI even, you could just ask someone or something like that.
For a single example thats is up for discussion if its even math at all, that hardly qualifies as "needing math".
If you would've read the Quora article from somebody who's a mathematician and computer programmer, I wouldn't even have needed to write this at all.

LowFat

Dec 23, 2015
The Chunk Network
@MrTokay

Since you probably skimmed my post, I'll highlight the important parts that you obviously missed:

• Wait, so you're basically telling me that you need math, which isn't actually even real math, -and extremely basic math, for that matter-, to do a single thing in Java.
    Yes, the "single thing" was only one example. All I need is one example so long as you can't prove me wrong. Also, why debate me on whether or not it's real math? Didn't I say it was basic?
    If you can't understand basic trigonometry, I believe you will be limited as a programmer. Sine and cosine are essential for lots of things in my opinion
  • If you don't know math, lets say, at all, and you needed to use atan2 or math PI even, you could just ask someone or something like that.
    So then you do need it... Sure, I could google code snippets for everything that I do, but I would never be able to replicate it without finding the same code again. Learn things yourself and you retain the information.
    Perhaps this could be easily done using a library or some sort of engine, but you should understand what the engine is actually doing, right?

If you would've read the Quora article from somebody who's a mathematician and computer programmer, I wouldn't even have needed to write this at all.
If you would've actually read my 6 line post, I wouldn't even have needed to write this at all.

Reactions: FalseHonesty

MrTokay

Jul 4, 2016
Jon's house
www.cubecraft.net
@LowFat
Yes, the "single thing" was only one example. All I need is one example so long as you can't prove me wrong. Also, why debate me on whether or not it's real math? Didn't I say it was basic?

One example is not enough to prove that you need math. One example, as I said, can just be Googled etc. You didn't get what I was trying to say there. Also, if you read my original post, you'll see that I said you DO need math, it just pales in comparison to everything else you may need in terms of usefulness.
...which is usually exactly why you should know math.

So then you do need it... Sure, I could google code snippets for everything that I do, but I would never be able to replicate it without finding the same code again. Learn things yourself and you retain the information.

As I said before, I never said you don't need math, its just not as useful in programming as other things:
...which is usually exactly why you should know math.
So, for starters, you gave me one example, which can be easily Googled. If you want to give me more than one example, we can discuss it then. Secondly, if you were an extremely forgetful person who Googled things and then didn't remember it afterwards, what you said would be true. If you're someone who remembers things normally, then once you Google something you should remember it for next time, because you just learnt it
Learn things yourself and you retain the information.
Or, if its a complicated method, you should take the time to learn it. This is not the case with atan2 though.

If you would've actually read my 6 line post, I wouldn't even have needed to write this at all.
First of all, when I said what I did:
I referenced you to an article backing up my point. All you did was tell me to read your post. Also, I DID read your post, and then I disproved everything you said. Then you gave me arguments, and I just answered them. I don't really get what you're trying to say with that.

@FalseHonesty ,
An algebra variable has an unknown value. The only way for a code variable to be algebra is if its undefined.

Something like:
Code:
int myint;
//Some Code
int myint=25;

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
An algebra variable has an unknown value. The only way for a code variable to be algebra is if its undefined.

Something like:
Code:
int myint;
//Some Code
int myint=25;
That's not true. Accessing an undefined variable isn't algebra it's just wrong.
But a function like
f(x) = 100 x
to convert Euro to Cent looks like algebra to me.
Code:
static int euroToCent(int euro) {
    return euro * 100;
}

MrTokay

Jul 4, 2016
Jon's house
www.cubecraft.net
What you're doing here is what I'm saying.
An undefined variable has no value therefore it can be called an Algebra variable.
I was basically saying a skewed and overtired version of what you said :p

Last edited:
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Hqteful wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!!
Kazwa wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
happy birthday!
Eli wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Thank you for the follow!!
Critly wrote on Egg🥚's profile.