Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Ya or Na

• Ya

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Na (please try to elaborate!)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Ya, but change the price (suggestions?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
Please read the entire post before commenting. Thanks. I don't want to repeat myself.

Yes hello, 'tis I back with yet another suggestion. This time, It's about adding fishing rods in 1.8 Eggwars
I've seen a few suggestion about this way back in 2018-17 (https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/fishing-rods-3.204621/ to name one), and the counterarguments were... weak at best. I'll get into those in a bit.

Now you might be asking, why would you want fishing rods in Eggwars? There's no water!
Fishing rods are an extremely versatile tool when it comes to melee combat. When the bobber hits, players take minor knockback. This opens a lot of opportunities, such as:

-Combo starting
When you hit a player with the rod, they take minor knockback as stated earlier. This means they also take vertical knockback, which makes you get the low ground advantage (that's a thing), and it also breaks their sprint. This makes it far easier to start a combo on a player instead of relying on a luck of the draw first hit.

-Combo breaking
Now, when YOU are getting yourself in a combo, you can just swap to your rod and try to rod them (this might be difficult, depending on their strafe pattern), this creates an opportunity for you to break out of it. a ''get-off-me'' move, so to speak.

-Retreating
People in Eggwars tend to take very little knockback (ping dependant), this can make it difficult for you to retreat when an opponent is too aggressive. I've had it happen occasionally where I couldn't get away because my knockback wasn't great enough, resulting in the opponent killing me from behind, because he kept catching up to me. Now I know you can spam blocks under you, but any player with more than 3 brain cells knows how to avoid the blocks and still manage to hit you
Now what I'm getting at here is that you can retreat (holding s) while looking at the opponent, and basically ''spam'' the rod so the opponent keeps taking that little kb, allowing you to run away successfully. Now, you can't just spam the rod, because the bobber's velocity is quite slow, so spamming it only works up real close, which isn't the scenario here. You have to time & aim the rod so no this isn't some braindead strategy

-Catching up
Now, as opposite to the scenario mentioned above ^, rods can also be used to catch up to someone. Just run after the opponent and keep rodding him. This breaks his sprint, and makes you able to catch up to them. It's even more effective against block spammers because the hit messes them up and there's a possibility they place a block in front of themselves instead of under them. (I seriously hate people that spam blocks everywhere. It's so braindead yet so effective. Rods can counter this.)

There are more opportunities but I won't be going over those.

Currently, the combat metagame in Eggwars is pretty bland. It all depends on who gets the first hit and who takes the least knockback (in a fight, not in a chase). I've had so many fights where I just trade hits with the guy until one of us finally dies or decides to dip. I find this pretty boring.
Also, the setting of Eggwars and its combat aren't really the same. The way I see it as is:
The Setting of Eggwars is relatively similar to that of (Build)UHC duels, or even regular UHC. (without the heads, buckets, and UHC regeneration of course.) And not just similar to UHC, but arguably Skywars too! And what do UHC and Skywars have which Eggwars doesn't? Rods! This is what a UHC duels hotbar usually looks like
d1c2ae66d27e229c68d96796c6599056.png

Now here's what (most of) MY Eggwars hotbar(s) look like. (Midgame stage)
ae84280e8c78dbe9fc6317b517c91017.png

Now I don't mean to say that all Eggwars hotbars look like this, but you can see the similarities, right? Change the axe & wood to the clay & pickaxe, remove the buckets and change the head to a Notch apple and you've basically got your average Eggwars hotbar.
Now, the COMBAT of Eggwars is similar (almost identical) to that of (nodebuff) pot pvp. (Well, without the pots)
In pot pvp, an important aspect is the first hit, just like in this game. A lot of hit trading happens too, until someone decides to splash themselves. This is awfully similar to Eggwars fights, except they run away or die here. (at least in my experience)
What I'm trying to say here is that a rod can change the combat of Eggwars to fit its theme more, because rods are a very important aspect in UHC (and arguably in Skywars too, though I don't see many people except sweats use those on this server, as opposed to other servers' Skywars)

Now, I have read a few threads where this got suggested way in the past, and in all honesty... The comments where really, REALLY bad. Not only did a lot of people not realize they suggested the rod for 1.8, they also gave the most... odd counter''arguments'' ever
Some mentions:

''Players won't like this/it's annoying''
Well I, and many, MANY others, also don't like punch bows yet they're still in the game, and arguably far stronger than a rod.

''It will be pointless'' Why do I see SO MANY of these replies? If you watch any 1.8 combat video that isn't pot pvp you can see how useful it is. Also, if it's pointless, why is it in Skywars?

''It's OP, It will be used for camping'' Actually, it's really not OP. Rods have very limited use outside of melee combat scenarios. The bobber's velocity is really slow, and doesn't travel far at all. (As opposed to a bow)
When thrown up, it travels about 12-13 blocks, and takes 1.5-2 seconds to do so.
fc09053c902f4afdc25f5d542b05897c.gif
When thrown at around a 30-45 degree angle, it travels around 15 blocks and takes about 2 seconds to do so.
36911ae81e7dcca62d830dbdba06e839.gif
Now, a bow also takes 2 seconds to wind up, and will travel much farther. Rods also deal less knockback than even a clean bow, so it's pretty bad for camping purposes. A bow will do all things a rod can (for camping) but far better.
Another thing to mention is that the fishing rod has very little durability (64) and will take triple damage when hooking an entity in vanilla 1.8 survival, essentially cutting its durability significantly (21)
d52215798b2c034ca4a93da6f750f96d.gif
So tl;dr: rods have very little uses outside of melee combat, a bow will always be a better alternative for camping purposes.
If you want to camp, use a bow.

''Players that aren't good will fall behind even more'' That's just how it be sometimes. Seriously, who cares? You get better by practicing, and if you've reached your skillcap, that's on you. It's not hard to pick up the way to rod effectively. Even the worst players on other servers that have rods in their game, try to use the rod. The ''bad'' players will just have to adapt, or fall behind.

''You can do the same things with a bow'' Actually, Not quite. Winding up a bow, even for the shortest possible time, eats ALL your momentum at once, as opposed to the rod. Momentum is extremely important in 1.8 combat. Rods are just more versatile when used for combat. And the arrow goes nowhere too.

''Bows will become useless'' Not really. Bows are great for what they're intended for: Range. As stated earlier, rods have pathetic range and speed, but bows are, well, bows. They will always be useful for either camping or just trying to get someone off you that's outside the fishing rod range.

''Rods will make bridging harder if not impossible'' Again, no. A tiny bit more tedious, sure. But all you have to do to counter a rod is to build up or build a staircase, which a lot of people do already. Again, rods have low knockback, slow speed & range, AND low durability! Also, you have to go to mid first to get a rod, because of the price I'm about to suggest.

''I hate the fishing rod'' (Yes, a lot of people used this as an argument) Well people also hate the punch bow. BOOM!

So these are pretty much all arguments I've read against the rod and what I have to say about them.
Now to finally suggest the item itself!!!
NORMAL FISHING ROD (NO ENCHANTS!!)
PRICE: 5-10 DIAMONDS

I'm personally more favored in making the price 10, if not more. This provides some variety in whether you should buy a bow or a rod, because both have their pros n cons. Here's a few:

Bow
Pros: Good for actual ranged combat, good durability, punch variant, good for camping purposes, relatively cheap Price-durability wise

Cons: Terrible up close (I mean it's a bow), requires ammo

Fishing rod
Pros: Makes combat less luck based (first hit), good get-off-me option and all other aforementioned scenarios, high skillcap

Cons: Extremely low durability, limited uses outside of combat, slow, short distance projectile, high skillcap

So, extreme tl;dr: Add rods to make the combat less bland & luck based. Bows won't be outclassed. Rods can't be used for camping purposes, bows are for that.

Also, if I even see ONE comment about ''rods being useless in 1.9'' I'm gonna lose my mind because I'M SUGGESTING IT FOR 1.8 AND 1.8 ONLY

Vickay

Dedicated Member
Aug 18, 2016
England
Now THIS is an epic idea gamer.

I love you and I love your idea.

Fishing rods more like get in my egg wars game rods.

A big fat +1 from me, nameimnotallowedtosay-sama.

Reactions: Slovy

ImSpain

Sep 17, 2019
Ibiza, Spain
I think it's a bad idea. You say that there's already punch bows (which are annoying, I agree) so "why wouldn't there be rods?". Well think I think if there's already punch bows and that's annoying imagine if people buy rods.
But, I gotta say, rods wouldn't be that bad of an idea if they had limited durability, so they break after a few uses.
And, you say it's boring because in eggwars pvp you just trade hits. First of all, if you want to do a build uhc fight go to a different server or gamemode. Second of all, there's different techniques you can use in eggwars like strafing, tapping, blockhitting, etc.

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
I think it's a bad idea. You say that there's already punch bows (which are annoying, I agree) so "why wouldn't there be rods?". Well think I think if there's already punch bows and that's annoying imagine if people buy rods.
In what way would rods be any more annoying than a punch bow? I think I've made it very clear that rods have very limited use outside of melee purposes.

But, I gotta say, rods wouldn't be that bad of an idea if they had limited durability, so they break after a few uses.
Another thing to mention is that the fishing rod has very little durability (64) and will take triple damage when hooking an entity in vanilla 1.8 survival, essentially cutting its durability significantly (21)
Did you even read the entire post?

And, you say it's boring because in eggwars pvp you just trade hits. First of all, if you want to do a build uhc fight go to a different server or gamemode.
How is this even a valid argument to you? I'm genuinely curious.

Second of all, there's different techniques you can use in eggwars like strafing, tapping, blockhitting, etc.
The issue with Eggwars combat is that most people take too little knockback and others take delayed knockback. There's seriously no inbetween. If people take too little kb I'm essentially walking towards them faster than they're moving back, even if they're in a combo. And the people that take delayed knockback are near impossible to get in a combo because; you hit them, their delayed knockback causes them to stay in place for a tiny amount of time, which makes them able to hit you, which knocks you back, repeat scenario.

Also, blockhitting eats your momentum which, as stated earlier, is very important. So that's only really useful in a small area.

I'm not saying all fights are like this, nor that comboing people is impossible, but it sure feels bland.

Reactions: Aihegao and Vickay

Nutuu

Forum Expert
Oct 7, 2017
Western Finland
No, please no. It's eggwars. Eggwars is meant to be the way it is and not any more like UHC. Even if it's normal it already reminds me of UHC as fights are so short considering the amount of gapples you get unless you camp.
I like to play op and fast games, not hardcore eggwars mixed with UHC on the sky.

Reactions: Deeds and Rawrbin

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
No, please no. It's eggwars. Eggwars is meant to be the way it is and not any more like UHC. Even if it's normal it already reminds me of UHC as fights are so short considering the amount of gapples you get unless you camp.
I like to play op and fast games, not hardcore eggwars mixed with UHC on the sky.
I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say here. I'm only suggesting a simple melee item, not UHC mode or whatever, that was just a simple comparison example. And I ask again, why would rods be in Skywars but not in Eggwars?

Reactions: Vickay and Aihegao

Nutuu

Forum Expert
Oct 7, 2017
Western Finland
I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say here. I'm only suggesting a simple melee item, not UHC mode or whatever, that was just a simple comparison example. And I ask again, why would rods be in Skywars but not in Eggwars?
Eggwars is a whole a lot of different game than skywars. Not sure why does it just fit in Skywars as it's found in chests. Just feels weird to buy rods in eggwars.

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
💌 Customer Support
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
I have to agree with Nutuu on this one! This item doesn't really fit in Eggwars, adding the rod would just be a bit weird. Yes it has some use in PVP like you listed but PVP really isn't the biggest part of Eggwars. And after all, a punch bow will always work better! I think as for items can be bought in Eggwars, it's fine. The prices could change a bit for certain items but what you can buy is fine as it is. I think

Reactions: Nutuu

ImSpain

Sep 17, 2019
Ibiza, Spain
In what way would rods be any more annoying than a punch bow? I think I've made it very clear that rods have very limited use outside of melee purposes.

Did you even read the entire post?

How is this even a valid argument to you? I'm genuinely curious.

The issue with Eggwars combat is that most people take too little knockback and others take delayed knockback. There's seriously no inbetween. If people take too little kb I'm essentially walking towards them faster than they're moving back, even if they're in a combo. And the people that take delayed knockback are near impossible to get in a combo because; you hit them, their delayed knockback causes them to stay in place for a tiny amount of time, which makes them able to hit you, which knocks you back, repeat scenario.

Also, blockhitting eats your momentum which, as stated earlier, is very important. So that's only really useful in a small area.

I'm not saying all fights are like this, nor that comboing people is impossible, but it sure feels bland.

First of all, with the durability thing, I was agreeing with you, not pretending to say anything new or contradicting you.

Then, the build uhc thing is, for me, a valid argument becasue, in servers, there's DIFFERENT gamemodes. If you want to do some pvp, go to build uhc, if you want to play a gamemode that is less pvp-based but rather includes other things like bridging, bridge fights, blockhitting, rushing, breaking eggs, defending your egg, etc. play eggwars. You can't have it both ways.

People taking less knockback than normal or taking delayed kb is mostly because of their internet, and that won't change if you add rods.

And yes, the momentum blockhitting thing that you said is true, that's why you gotta learn when blockhitting is effective and when to do it.

Lastly, if you've ever played skywars, you'll know how annoying rods can be when they're not used to pvp.

Reactions: patito

Aihegao

Dedicated Member
Aug 14, 2016
LITter box
niceme.me
People taking less knockback than normal or taking delayed kb is mostly because of their internet, and that won't change if you add rods.

Ok but rodding someone stops them in place and would allow you to start a combo and do more knockback. Sprint cancelling is effective DURING combo but rods are useful for STARTING a combo, ESPECIALLY on players with higher ping as it gives you more of a chance to deal more knockback and damage collectively.

Lastly, if you've ever played skywars, you'll know how annoying rods can be when they're not used to pvp

Lastly if you’ve ever played the game in general you’ll know how annoying every mechanic can be in the ideal scenario. Does that make it a useless addition?? Yeah of course! let’s remove the game in it’s entirety. Like rods aren’t nearly as overpowered or obnoxious as a punch bow, while serving a substantial purpose. You gain more than you lose by having it. Why aid campers or defensive playstyles without balancing it by aiding offensive / melee playstyles?

Reactions: Vickay and Earth

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
adding the rod would just be a bit weird.
Elaborate.

but PVP really isn't the biggest part of Eggwars.
I challenge you to win a game of Eggwars without hitting a single opponent. Preferably solo.

And after all, a punch bow will always work better!
No. No it really won't. Please read the bow vs rod part of my original post again.

Reactions: Vickay

Fesa

Quality Assurance
Team CubeCraft
🧪 Quality Assurance
💌 Customer Support
Oct 17, 2016
Yoitsu
Pronouns
She/Her
I challenge you to win a game of Eggwars without hitting a single opponent. Preferably solo.
So... if I say, It’s not the biggest part I imply that you don’t need it…? And I already have, you just run around with kit jumper and take everyone’s egg. They will kill each other or fall in the void themselves.
No. No it really won't. Please read the bow vs rod part of my original post again.
I did, and my first impression was, you showed that a rod can hit up to 15 blocks high, and so on and proceed to say it doesn’t have that much range. And you said bows are terrible in close combat… Well tell that to everyone who has been shot at when standing next to the person to be shot of or kill by power 5. Bows are when used correctly extremely good in ragend and close combat.

Elaborate.
This is not so much on the item itself but more than said later in my reply, that I think that the items that you can buy in Eggwars are fine as it is now. Likewise, any change would feel weird to me. This is not to say that I would be against all of them.

This is written on my phone so sorry if it looks terrible. And yes I’m aware that the order is a bit turn on its head :p

ImSpain

Sep 17, 2019
Ibiza, Spain
Lastly if you’ve ever played the game in general you’ll know how annoying every mechanic can be in the ideal scenario. Does that make it a useless addition?? Yeah of course! let’s remove the game in it’s entirety. Like rods aren’t nearly as overpowered or obnoxious as a punch bow, while serving a substantial purpose. You gain more than you lose by having it. Why aid campers or defensive playstyles without balancing it by aiding offensive / melee playstyles?

So your logic is: "Punchbows aren't annoying enough, so let's add rods"? The punch bow isn't a good argument.

Eggwars is eggwars. Trust me, no one's gonna add rods to the gamemode. That's my conclusion. I think they'd be annoying. If you have a different opinion, ok, we all think differently.

Earth

Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2015
Nowhere
I did, and my first impression was, you showed that a rod can hit up to 15 blocks high, and so on and proceed to say it doesn’t have that much range.
15 blocks. It takes 2 seconds to reach 15 blocks. You know what else takes 2 seconds to travel much, much further? An arrow shot from a bow. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

And you said bows are terrible in close combat… Well tell that to everyone who has been shot at when standing next to the person to be shot of or kill by power 5. Bows are when used correctly extremely good in ragend and close combat.
(Power) bows are, and will always be terrible up close if the opponent is an actual sentient player (I'm sorry, I'm not counting little Timmies that keep running at you in a straight like, you can kill those players with basically anything). You can place around 5 blocks in front/around you to render a bow obsolete. Or even better, learn to actually avoid arrows (still talking up close). It's not hard! literally just zigzagging does the trick most of the times. If you're talking normal, then sure, power bows are broken. But in all honesty, why on Earth (pun not intended) would you play normal mode on 1.8? I have personally never seen someone die outside of void damage to a power 3/5 bow up close like you're stating, and I'm about 2000+ games in.

So... if I say, It’s not the biggest part I imply that you don’t need it…?
This was a bit dumb on my part. My bad. Sure, it's not the most important part, but it's still an essential part of the game, and a bland one at that. Which is why I'm suggesting this item. To polish it a little. Like I said earlier, a rods' use is pretty limited outside of melee purposes, a bow will do a better job!

I ask of you. All of you who disagree;
Why should Eggwars not have a rod? Why do you think rods will be so devastating to have? What makes this game so different as to why it shouldn't?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vickay
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

W streamer here: @SugaaKat
Matriox wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
Congratulations

Goodluck in your helper training

Don't let frontlane or lyra be mean
Kazwa wrote on Frontlane's profile.
1713570291417.png

I know right
JokeKaedee wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congratulations!! 🎊
JokeKaedee wrote on Frontlane's profile.
Gefeliciteerd mopje 🥰💕
Top Bottom